Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does Fluttershy think her friends have petty pursuits in life?

Quarium

I was rewatching "putting your hoof down" when i came across this shocking scene...

it got me thinking... fluttershy was being mean... but her observations sounded really sincere, i mean... same as when a normal person gets angry with his/her friends and goes all out on things like that, Iron Will did not make her mean, he made her CONFIDENT!

Kindness isn't necessarily the absence of negative feelings towards a person. It's easy to be kind to someone if you can't see anything wrong, annoying, distasteful or otherwise negative about them, real kindness, however, is about setting aside those flaws/issues and acting despite them. She's only human (well, you know what I mean anyway!) and even if she represents kindness, I can't believe that she only ever sees the good side of everybody. Nobody is THAT kind.

Any thoughts? Does Fluttershy think her friends have petty pursuits in life? was her impulsiveness driven by some truth or was she just saying things without thinking?

PD : never thought i would see this happen in a little girls cartoon, scene felt so fukken real bro.

Edited by Quarium
  • Brohoof 1

All I know is that Pinkie dedicates her life to making ponies happy, improving their enjoyment of life by providing entertainment, which is important to emotional health. 

Applejack dedicates her life to farming and physical labor, both of which are important to a society.

Fluttershy dedicates her life to protecting nature and it's creatures, which is important to not just society but civilization, as the preservation of nature and ecosystems is important to the health of the planet.

Rainbow Dash dedicates her life to the same thing most pegasi do, which is creating and maintaining the weather, which is important for obvious reasons...I mean, it's the weather.

Twiight Sparkle dedicates her life to learning magic, and while magic is irrelevant to our society (mainly because it doesn't exist), it is very important to Equestrian society and civilization, and learning in general is the most important tool to continue the development and betterment of society. No one ever made scientific breakthroughs for the advancement of mankind by doing nothing.

Rarity dedicates her life to making ponies, and other things, look "pretty" on the outside. During "Winter Wrap Up", while ponies were planting crops, clearing snow, breaking ice, and checking on the health and safety of the animals in Ponyville's ecosystem, Rarity was...making the bird's nests look...pretty. 

While Fluttershy was horrifically rude in "Putting Your Hoof Down", she sort of had a point where Rarity was concerned. Compared to what the other 5 of the Mane 6 contribute to Ponyville as a society, Rarity's contributions are the only ones that are largely cosmetic, and the only ones that a society wouldn't need to grow and advance. 

• Brohoof 4

Well, considering that the next scene when Fluttershy makes the comment "I'm the monster" and is regretful over her actions; I would think she didn't herself view her friends interests as petty but that others might tend to view them as such. And was using that knowledge ( at least on a subconscious level ) as a weapon. 

Hm, Floaty has a good argument! Although you could consider that fashion and decoration improve emotional health, too, by raising self esteem and overall mood. It's like how psychological studies show that getting dressed and looking nice in the morning motivates most people for the day. Same with throwing parties, which on the flipside you could say is equally useless because it's messy and unproductive. 

Just more food for thought. 

Pinkie Pie is over the top hysterically insane. Happiness is generally a fleeting moment and she's trying to keep the moment going. Being a party girl is her anchor to keep her mind from drifting out to sea.

As for Rarity, she does fashion but resides in a town where most of the population prefers all nude. The town where even their children love to show off and obsess over their flanks.

Edited by Singe

I doubt she actually does, happiness is important, and nothing is worthless if you enjoy it.

It was just an outburst of an angry pony, giving one side of an argument so aggressively that the others could not respond effectively.

Nothing any I the ponies do is pointless/worthless/petty

• Brohoof 1

I certainly hope that she does not really think her friends passions are petty. Would make her a pretty horrible friend. Im giving her the benefit of a doubt there.  ;)

What Pinkie and Rarity do is in no way petty, both make ponies happy, but in different ways. Pinkie cheers people up, makes them happy and feel appreciated and Rarity makes everypony feel special and beautiful (Like she is :wub: ).

Other ponies may do more for the infrastructure of Ponyville, the framework, but Rares and Pinkie tend to the culture and the spirit of their society. This may not be necessary to life, but it is necessary to live a good and fulfilled life.

What would our society be without artists and entertainers? Everything would be dreary and boring.

Without them Equestria and our world would lack a soul. The people and ponies could be well fed, but the food would be bland. Their houses would be well constucted and sturdy, but just grey and boring. No music, no theatre, no games, no fancy clothes, no jewelry, no beautiful gardens, nothing. They would have no entertainment and no way to feel special and pretty. Would be a pretty horrible way to life.

Hell, even the first humans in history made art, its just something that humans do, its one of the biggest things that distinguish us from other animals.

Edited by Obsidian Sky

I don't think she thinks that her friends have petty pursuits in life.

She was angry and on a verbal killing spree. She just wanted to throw punches and you could say something mean to anypony's job or passion.

• Brohoof 2

I doubt so, because that was the episode with Iron Will. She got WAY out of character that episode, and this is one case of it. She thinks highly of her friends, this is apparent from the S2 premieres when Discord tries to corrupt her, but couldn't through conversation. He had to use magic. Therefore, she trusts her friends, and in that case likely cares about them being happy no matter what they want to do.

I'm not sure if a lot of you understood my point. I know the importance of what they do and I know Flutts wants them to be happy. But wanting your friend to be happy and letting him pursuit his dream isn't necessarily the same as BELIEVING that dream is worth it. I was just amusing the possibility of that being the case with her :) after all, no one is perfect.

But hey! Is just a theory... A GA- nvm but you get the point.

Rarity dedicates her life to making ponies, and other things, look "pretty" on the outside. During "Winter Wrap Up", while ponies were planting crops, clearing snow, breaking ice, and checking on the health and safety of the animals in Ponyville's ecosystem, Rarity was...making the bird's nests look...pretty. While Fluttershy was horrifically rude in "Putting Your Hoof Down", she sort of had a point where Rarity was concerned. Compared to what the other 5 of the Mane 6 contribute to Ponyville as a society, Rarity's contributions are the only ones that are largely cosmetic, and the only ones that a society wouldn't need to grow and advance.

inb4 ghostie

------------------------

To answer the original question, no I don't think so. I don't think what Fluttershy said is how she really felt deep down, she was just out of control at that point and just wanted to say something hurtful. There have never been any other signs of this and she has benefited from both of their passions. Most importantly her and Rarity are besties. :D:squee:

• Brohoof 4

I think she might be upset that her friends may not care about the things she does as much as she might but I think you can see her reflecting regretfully to the things she had said to Rarity and Pinky directly after she had said it. All in all I would say she probably isn't passionate about their pursuits, but she respects and loves her friends, for who they are and the pursuits they have.

Rarity dedicates her life to making ponies, and other things, look "pretty" on the outside. During "Winter Wrap Up", while ponies were planting crops, clearing snow, breaking ice, and checking on the health and safety of the animals in Ponyville's ecosystem, Rarity was...making the bird's nests look...pretty. While Fluttershy was horrifically rude in "Putting Your Hoof Down", she sort of had a point where Rarity was concerned. Compared to what the other 5 of the Mane 6 contribute to Ponyville as a society, Rarity's contributions are the only ones that are largely cosmetic, and the only ones that a society wouldn't need to grow and advance.

I do it for Ghostie

Okay, so what would you say 'art' and 'culture' are, then, in our human world? Are they not critical to society as a whole? Technically, yes. Humans would be perfectly fine without their millennium of art, but wait! What would such a life be without such forms of human expression? Anthropologists hold that one of the earliest developments in human language, before speech was anything more than primal grunting, was random ass drawing on cave walls to chronicle and document feeling, daily life, etc. Art and expression are rooted in human nature, even if they aren't strictly speaking, critical for human society. At a primal level humans have a strong aesthetic sense in someway or another.

And that's where Rarity comes in. As ponies are a parable to human life and stuff like that, let's say that it's true that Rarity doesn't contribute directly to society. But there's a level beyond basic survival, which is discovery and exploration (totally bastardizing Maslowe's Pyramid here but whatever) and betterment of the self. Twilight and Pinkie deal with that, proving science and happiness... And Rarity does too. Art, as I've already said, is a fundamental pursuit of humanity, and thus ponykind. Therefore, Rarity also fits into the cycle. I mean, sure ponies don't normally wear clothes. But sometimes they do, and I assume they'd like nice ones when they do.

There, my 'Rarity is da bes' spiel is complete.

• Brohoof 4

Unless she was under the effect of a spell. She meant every word of it.

If you think about it. While to pinkie and rarirty the persuits may be meaningful. They really are not. Its the truth and she meant it.

People say things they don't mean when they are angry. And she was pretty ticked off.... My best guess is she let her mouth fly before her brain sprouted wings in that situation. ASIs with all overly assertive people

• Brohoof 1

Rarity dedicates her life to making ponies, and other things, look "pretty" on the outside. During "Winter Wrap Up", while ponies were planting crops, clearing snow, breaking ice, and checking on the health and safety of the animals in Ponyville's ecosystem, Rarity was...making the bird's nests look...pretty. 

That's essentially her way of trying help others, honestly.  In the spaces in between, that's the way she shows she cares in the realm outside of directly saying so. 

Also, her passion lies with fashion, and that's her career, which, fashion is making things look pretty, and not really much more; Rarity and fashion is like Fluttershy and animals, or Pinkie and Parties, which, of course, I can say Fluttershy only cares about animals for herself due to being able to communicate with them instead of other ponies, and Pinkie only cares about parties in a psychological attempt to make up for that shite childhood she had on a rock farm and not out of actual enjoyment of seeing others happy, but I'm not, because you & I both know that'd be bullshit. It's no different with Rarity; fashion is A.) what she loves and cares about and B.) what she's good at. She can use it to make meaningful gifts for others and all that good stuff; of course, her flaws will show sometimes and fashion can play a role in that, but, honestly, they all have flaws that interfere with what they care about. That's what makes the episodes good. :D

Also, about the nest thing; I believe they were assigned duties, right? They didn't really pick what they were going to do, they did it based on what they'd be best at, and that is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, what Rarity would be best at :D

Alright, time to play the game.

No; I think Fluttershy was simply trying to appear bigger and more intimidating in that specific scene, and said those things not out of anger nor honesty, but out of the misconception that they were treating her like a doormat and she retaliated by trying to shove them over more. 

Unnecessary self-defense, I guess.

• Brohoof 3

How did this scene not stick in my head? I saw this episode just a few days ago... gets me thinking...

But no, I don't think that's what she really meant. People act and think differently when they are mad. And plus, she thought that Pinkie and Rarity were purposefully trying to make her a pushover again in the heat of the moment, so she also felt, in a way, betrayed.

• Brohoof 1

All I know is that Pinkie dedicates her life to making ponies happy, improving their enjoyment of life by providing entertainment, which is important to emotional health. 

Applejack dedicates her life to farming and physical labor, both of which are important to a society.

Fluttershy dedicates her life to protecting nature and it's creatures, which is important to not just society but civilization, as the preservation of nature and ecosystems is important to the health of the planet.

Rainbow Dash dedicates her life to the same thing most pegasi do, which is creating and maintaining the weather, which is important for obvious reasons...I mean, it's the weather.

Twiight Sparkle dedicates her life to learning magic, and while magic is irrelevant to our society (mainly because it doesn't exist), it is very important to Equestrian society and civilization, and learning in general is the most important tool to continue the development and betterment of society. No one ever made scientific breakthroughs for the advancement of mankind by doing nothing.

While Fluttershy was horrifically rude in "Putting Your Hoof Down", she sort of had a point where Rarity was concerned. Compared to what the other 5 of the Mane 6 contribute to Ponyville as a society, Rarity's contributions are the only ones that are largely cosmetic, and the only ones that a society wouldn't need to grow and advance.

I have to dissagree. Rarity is one of the most important. She uses her gifts to show inner beauty on the outside. She shows that its OKAY to be pretty, and wear makeup, but the others show that its also okay to be a tom boy, and such.

You said how vital it is for Pinkie Pie to make ponies happy, well don't you think its vital for ponies to feel there beauty, and show it inside and out? Her talent makes her unique, and she uses it to help other ponies feel unique too.

And the birds nests... its a land of magical colorful ponies. What's wrong with ribbon filled birds nests?

• Brohoof 4

Unless she was under the effect of a spell. She meant every word of it.

If you think about it. While to pinkie and rarirty the persuits may be meaningful. They really are not. Its the truth and she meant it.

How is making people happy meaningless? Because that is what both of them do, just their means differ. Or art, how is art meaningless? i guess many don't see Rarity as a "real artist" because she "only makes clothes". But it is real art what she does, in no way different than music, or a painting. Her passion and her love of beauty flow in every piece she makes, just to make other ponies feel good. And art is one of the greatest treasures a culture has. Art is a snapshot of the time it was crafted in. So much passion and care flows in its creation.

No, no. The things Wawity and the Pinkster do are very important for the happyness of the Ponyville citzens. Not really "life and death" important, but "my life is not a miserable cesspool" important.

What Flutters said there was not the truth, and i really hope she didn't mean it. Would show her in a horrible light. What she does is not that important anyway, not more important than the other mane6, she just hand-feeds animals that would otherwise search their own food, like the animals in the Everfree do. She is not even the vet of Ponyville, like we saw in Secret of my excess.

I do not doubt that she helped many animals in her time in ponyville. and that shows her kindness of all living things, but i doubt that the animals could not manage their life without her.

Rainbow and Applejack are not that important like people like to claim either. Rainbow is not the only pegasus regulating the weather in Ponyville. And if Applejack wouldn't grow apples anymore the ponies could just eat.... you know, grass.

I think everyone of the mane6 is important, but no one so important that Ponyville would stop functioning if they where gone. But everypony has their place in Ponyville society, and is needed in some way.

Edited by Obsidian Sky
  • Brohoof 3

She probably does think that which just confirms how much she's worst pony of all time. She's too stupid to realize that Pinkie makes the entire town happy and keeps them from being angry all the time and that Rarity making ponies look nice is still a good passion because not everything everyone does needs to be the cure for cancer and she's still making herself and others happy while making money. I really hate Fluttershy for that scene!

Well, considering that the next scene when Fluttershy makes the comment "I'm the monster" and is regretful over her actions; I would think she didn't herself view her friends interests as petty but that others might tend to view them as such. And was using that knowledge ( at least on a subconscious level ) as a weapon.

No, I think she thought they had petty passions and it was the type of thing where it's the thing that she would have never said to them because it would hurt them too much. She decided to say it, though and she doesn't deserve her friends! She's lucky Pinkie Pie is so nice that she'll be friends with anyone but I think if Rarity were realistic she would have never forgiven her, especially without her apologizing.

You said how vital it is for Pinkie Pie to make ponies happy, well don't you think its vital for ponies to feel there beauty, and show it inside and out?

No. Outer beauty isn't important. It's still not meaningless or anything but you can't compare it to the other ponies on any level. :derp: Edited by Grumpy Enchantress

Fluttershy is a horrible friend who didn't deserve forgiveness and didn't even apologize.

Imho everyone deserves forgiveness.

And, like i said, i can't picture Fluttershy really thinking like that about her friends. She was just angry and desperate. She did not really apologize, thats true, but she locked herself in her house, never to come out again. I think that showed her honest remorse of the things she did.

It was only when she was trying not to be a doormat, but she took it too far. If she really thought that her friends had petty and trivial pursuits, then Fluttershy would keep telling them that. Their pursuits in life are fueled by their motivations, which doesn't make them petty. Only if they have little importance.