Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

School Bans Rainbow Dash Backpack for Bullied Kid

Simon

As a teacher myself. It's just easier to work with the victim rather than the bully. Even if that means moving the victim to another school. Because, if the student is a bully, in 9/10 cases the parents are too! On more than one occasion I've been threatened by parents for giving detention to their kids.

It's true that not all parents are saints, and that the parents of bullies can also be bullies, themselves, but I don't believe it should get in the way of the right thing being done. I'm sorry to hear that parents have given you a hard time for taking action, but most parents send their children to school, trusting teachers to support their desires to be themselves and to help them develop as individuals. This trust is being tested lately, because it's easier to address the victim in bullying cases, rather than the bullies themselves, and many parents of victimized children have actually turned to alternative means of education because no one seems to be willing to bypass the easy way out and punish the ones who are really responsible.  

Edited by Fire_Fly

This story just hit the front page of CNN.com. Complete with show footage.

Yup http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2014/03/13/dnt-nc-boy-bullied-over-bookbag.wlos.html?hpt=hp_t3

The one thing I will point out is that schools are stretched pretty thin. Teachers would likely like to teach without having to operate as if they are prison guards and constantly intervening for disciplinary issues. They probably thought this was an easy way to stop that immediate bullying and they aren't necessarily wrong.  A lot of this comes to the fact that kids have issues at home and are also taught differently in different parts of the country.  Parents too are often very defensive when their children are disciplined (ie the bullies) and can be just as hysterical about pushing back on the teachers. The fact that something this small is now on national news is proof on how these things can blow up rather than be handled reasonably. They're going to get a lot of heat for this now. It's real easy to feel outraged as a brony on an mlp forum then look at the myriad of issues as to why this sadly happens in this particular neck of the woods.  I don't necessarily blame the teachers outright when the problem is the students and the baggage that they come into school with.

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 1

Not saying the bullies or the school are right. But bringing A MLP bagpack to school......Kids already bully for stupid reasons because they want to look edgy(and they look like bufoons instead), the kid just made a target out of himself.

OK, I will put it this way, the school obviously does not know how to deal with bullies, so they just throw in a poor unthought thought, saying that it is the kids fault for having the backpack, obviously the school does not understand this thing at all, saying they kid got himself into it won't do shit for anyone, do they even say anything to the stupid brats who bullied the kid? My presumption is "Nnope", is trying to prevent the bullying by stopping the victim by somehow getting himself into the solution ? Buck No! Whatever type of school that school is, they must have very pathetic teachers who try their worst to stop bullying by not thinking everything over.

So could the staff over in that school please and I mean please, learn how to deal with bullying and not just throw in random solutions that will do nothing at all.

My Speech has ended.

Schools will never do what's right. Its easier for them to punish a bullied kid than it is to actually punish a bully. Schools have been banning individuality and expression for decades.

Eat a poptart "wrong?" Suspended.

Wear a shirt that says something that isn't against the dress code? Suspended and or ban it then

Play cops and robbers? Suspended

Play cowboys and Indians? Suspended

Throw an imaginary grenade at imaginary enemies? Suspended.

Turn in a plastic toy gun you found on school property? Expelled

Point your finger in a direction? Suspended

Fight back against a bully when nobody did a thing when informed about a bully? Expelled and advised to take mind altering phycotropic drugs.

Edited by Wolfstanus
  • Brohoof 4

Not saying the bullies or the school are right. But bringing A MLP bagpack to school......Kids already bully for stupid reasons because they want to look edgy(and they look like bufoons instead), the kid just made a target out of himself.

Yeah, that was pretty risky. However... the bullies and the school still bucking SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, that was pretty risky. However... the bullies and the school still bucking SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!

The kids need some spanking and the school needs to stop being such pansies and fight bullying.

Stuff like this os the reason I stay alone

And I bet the bullies are getting compensated for having to bully that kid because he was wearing a provocative backpack? I can see the school is just telling the kid "just don't bring it and you won't get bullied", but I don't think the backpack was completely responsible for this behavior. I'm sure people by now know he's a brony at school. What difference will it make if he doesn't bring a backpack?

American society never ceases to disgust me...It just had to be said.

I truly hope you mean the US government or school system, because the US as a whole has some awesome cultures.

No, why does this need to happen?!  :blush: Well, Im 13 and Im really sensitive when people bother me about liking MLP. Imagine a 9 year old! The mother of the boy should make a group of other mothers, where their kids have been bullied and speak up. This can not be like this! And if the school won´t do anything the go to the police. Well, in my country you can go to the police and accuse the school, and the school will sure give a punishment to the kids that were bullying him! He should bring his Rainbow Dash bag again, whatever the school of the kids say. This is an injustice!!

The backpack is now allowed to return, and Buncombe County forever has egg on its face for being incredibly shortsighted.

Win/win. Welcome back, Dash! Good fight, Grayson & mom.

• Brohoof 4

OK, so according to ED, the school allowed to bring the backpack to school again, but I don't know what that would accomplish if they don't make good measures to control bulling in their school, and banning or not a backpack won't solve anything

• Brohoof 1