Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Am I the only brony on here who thinks Chrysalis should not be redeemed?

Wardaddy

I never thought I'd be driven to this, but today, it finally happened. There seems to be a recurring opinion among the fandom that Queen Chrysalis, a villain who nearly laid waste to Canterlot, not to mention attacked Princess Celestia, captured Cadance and locked her away in the caves where nopony would find her, turned the Mane 5, Shining Armor, and Celestia against Twilight, locked Shining under mind control while sucking his love, set her army loose upon Canterlot and its inhabitants, and did it all with intent to harm and conquer, should be redeemed. 

Why the hell does the fandom want to see Chrysalis redeemed?! She can't be redeemed! She doesn't need love to provide sustenance for her Changelings, she wants love to grant herself and her army extra power! Extra power with which they would take over Equestria! Why would anypony want her redeemed?!

Long story short, this should be one villain who is left as she is. Besides, it would make for a great friendship lesson: there are some people you just can't help. 

Who here agrees with me that Chrysalis would be better off destroyed? (Or at least as a recurring villain?)

Edited by Firebolt Blitz
  • Brohoof 23

I just like to keep an open mind when it comes to potential developments in the show. A good writer can make almost anything make sense, and then parts of the fandom will still complain, but that's to be expected.

I just like to keep an open mind when it comes to potential developments in the show. A good writer can make almost anything make sense, and then parts of the fandom will still complain, but that's to be expected.

That's a good point. I suppose that I agree.

I never thought I'd be driven to this, but today, it finally happened. There seems to be a recurring opinion among the fandom that Queen Chrysalis, a villain who nearly laid waste to Canterlot, not to mention attacked Princess Celestia, captured Cadance and locked her away in the caves where nopony would find her, turned the Mane 5, Shining Armor, and Celestia against Twilight, locked Shining under mind control while sucking his love, set her army loose upon Canterlot and its inhabitants, and did it all with intent to harm and conquer, should be redeemed. 

Why the hell does the fandom want to see Chrysalis redeemed?! She can't be redeemed! She doesn't need love to provide sustenance for her Changelings, she wants love to grant herself and her army extra power! Extra power with which they would take over Equestria! Why would anypony want her redeemed?!

Long story short, this should be one villain who is left as she is. Besides, it would make for a great friendship lesson: there are some people you just can't help. 

Who here agrees with me that Chrysalis would be better off destroyed? (Or at least as a recurring villain?)

Well, guess what, soon we'll see a good Chrysalis! In the comic story arc Reflections both she and Sombra look like there gonna be good guys!

It depends. I always thought the changelings needed love to survive. The ponies weren't willing to give it so they had to take it by force. Maybe the process of draining love hurts the creature being drained and the changelings have no choice. We simply don't know enough about changelings to know if redemption is an option. If they were only doing it because they were starving, and had no other way then can they even be called villains?

I'm not a fan of Chrysalis herself being 'redeemed'. I'd much rather the show give her some depth and development instead - the Lord Shen treatment. Also, the introduction of good changelings instead would be welcomed (and I say this with the understanding that not ALL Changelings are in need of a redemption story - that'd be unbelievably pretentious).

Also:

It depends. I always thought the changelings needed love to survive. The ponies weren't willing to give it so they had to take it by force. Maybe the process of draining love hurts the creature being drained and the changelings have no choice. We simply don't know enough about changelings to know if redemption is an option. If they were only doing it because they were starving, and had no other way then can they even be called villains?

Except all that is is fanon and headcanon. There is NO solid evidence that supports they need love to survive; it's much more indicated to be a power source. The 'survival' headcannon is more often than not used in fanworks just to make the protagonist changelings look good and the ponies their 'oppressors', which is complete bunk - c'mon, if they did need it to survive, why the heck wouldn't a benevolent ruler like Celestia be willing to help give them love?

And even if the show does go down this particular route, yes, Chrysalis' army (just her army, as said above, I'm so tired of people talking as if every single changeling is in need of redemption - they're strongly indicated to be individuals with their own free will, if the comics are anything to go by, hence the changelings who serve under Chrysalis are totally cool with doing so) CAN still be called villains because it wouldn't justify invading and trying to subjugate an entire nation and its populace, at all.

Edited by Magic Man
  • Brohoof 2

I'm not a fan of Chrysalis herself being 'redeemed'. I'd much rather the show give her some depth and development instead.

Pretty much this. You can make a villain sympathetic or nuanced while still making them totally evil and irredeemable.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not a fan of Chrysalis herself being 'redeemed'. I'd much rather the show give her some depth and development instead. Also, the introduction of good changelings instead would be welcomed (and I say this with the understanding that not ALL Changelings are in need of a redemption story - that'd be unbelievably pretentious).

Also:

Except all that is is fanon and headcanon. There is NO solid evidence that supports they need love to survive and the headcannon of it being the case is often used in fanworks just to make the protagonist changelings look good and the ponies their 'oppressors'. Even if the show does go down that route, yes, Chrysalis' army (just her army, as said above, I'm so tired of people talking as if every single changeling is in need of redemption) CAN still be called villains because it wouldn't justify invading and trying to subjugate an entire nation and its populace, at all.

That's why I said we simply don't know enough about them. What I meant is that it was a possibility. Maybe they were just doing it to become powerful. Maybe they don't even have free will and are just puppets for chrysalis to use. Maybe they are aliens from mars. These are all possibilities, because the show has told us very little about them. We can't accurately judge whether they are worthy of redemption or not because of this. I never said my ideas were correct, I just said it was a possibility. Just like them being pure evil is a possibility.

Pretty much this. You can make a villain sympathetic or nuanced while still making them totally evil and irredeemable.

Exactly. Lord Shen is a perfect example of this done right. My God, if the writers really pulled it off well, Chrysalis could be the Lord Shen of this show.

• Brohoof 1

Nope, imo she's the last person that should be redeemed(well, besides Sombra). Not every character needs to be redeemed, nor can they

• Brohoof 2

Thank you for this. Unlike Discord, Queen Chrysalis is pure evil, and it's much better that way.

Nope, imo she's the last person that should be redeemed(well, besides Sombra). Not every character needs to be redeemed, nor can they

Prepare to be surprised, because in the Reflections comic arc, we are going to see the good side of Sombra and Chrysalis!

Am I the only one...

untitle.JPG

:lol: If you have to ask any question starting with those words the answer is always no.

On-topic: It's honestly pretty shitty writing if every character ever will suddenly be a good guy just to give the feelgood action. I don't care how light and fluffy this show is, not every character needs to have a sudden change of heart that makes them good. "Oh I only did it because no one understands me" yeah, guess how many people hate the moody "woe is me" types in just about anything?

• Brohoof 1

For some reason, fanon has overtaken certain parts of the fandom. This affects Derpy, Luna, Celestia, Chrysalis, and Trixie the hardest. 

With Luna, she's turned into an innocent angel who was doing the world a favor. With Celestia, she's an evil tyrant. With Derpy, she loves muffins and is in a relationship with Dr. Whooves. Trixie is always given some angst ridden backstory. Chrysalis gets the treatment that she was just a desperate queen attempting to feed her people.

No, Chrysalis should not be redeemed. Her crimes include torture, brainwashing, animal abuse, attempted and premediated murder, possible rape, intended rape, treason, property damage, grand theft, conquering, infringing on basic rights, etc. By all rights she'd be on deathrow for the things she's done. 

Villains that have cool moments or look cute get woobified a lot. Hans, Loki, and Luna come to mind as does Chrysalis

• Brohoof 3

For some reason, fanon has overtaken certain parts of the fandom. This affects Derpy, Luna, Celestia, Chrysalis, and Trixie the hardest. 

With Luna, she's turned into an innocent angel who was doing the world a favor. With Celestia, she's an evil tyrant. With Derpy, she loves muffins and is in a relationship with Dr. Whooves. Trixie is always given some angst ridden backstory. Chrysalis gets the treatment that she was just a desperate queen attempting to feed her people.

No, Chrysalis should not be redeemed. Her crimes include torture, brainwashing, animal abuse, attempted and premediated murder, possible rape, intended rape, treason, property damage, grand theft, conquering, infringing on basic rights, etc. By all rights she'd be on deathrow for the things she's done. 

Villains that have cool moments or look cute get woobified a lot. Hans, Loki, and Luna come to mind as does Chrysalis

Rape, where the hell did you get that from? I thought this was a kids show!

Chrysalis is a very different villain than Discord was, so I wouldn't want her to be reformed as well. I just don't see how it could work with her personality.

I concur. 

The way I see it:

Redemption:

Discord

Lightning Dust

Trixie

No Redemption:

Queen Chrysalis.

@,

Attempted rape 

Shining Armor thinks she is Cadence, therefore, assuming they have sex, it will be rape since he did not consent to Chrysalis. This is a very sketchy line, bordering between sexual assault and rape. Considering he was brain washed though, it'd probably fall under rape since if you are drunk in the real world, you can press charges for not being in the right state of mind

@,

Lightning Dust was a psycho. Even when people almost died, she didn't care at all. She cares for nothing but her own self interests and sees others as simple tools to be used.  

I'm with the others on this. Discord wasn't even a true villain, he was just a god who had a child's sense of wonder and was easily amused. Queen Crysalis wanted to conquer Equestria, and she committed many crimes in order to do it.

Although, if she was redeemed, the Fluffle Puff videos would make a bit more sense xD

@,

I wouldn't go that far. Discord was evil, but he was evil in the sense of a kid stepping on ants. He's too stupid for the true ramifications of his actions to hit him. He knew he was being bad, he just didn't know how bad 

Thank Celestia I'm not the only one! Chrysalis is like Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty in a lot of ways. They both ooze evil, they're willing to commit as many crimes as is necessary, and worse still, they don't care who they walk over to reach their goals! Ok, the way they both started being evil may be different, but the end result is the same. Maleficent cursed Rose using her spindle of darkness, Chrysalis took out Celestia using the love she drained from Shining Armor to power her magic.

There's the keyword, ladies and gentlecolts. Power. And if you still don't get it, heres a clip. Watch the video up until 0:30:

See what I mean? Equestria was a reservoir of love, a big frigging Hoover Dam full of love if you will, and Chrysalis wanted it all for herself and her army. She didn't need love, she never needed love, she wanted it. ALL OF IT, for herself and her Changelings to gain power beyond belief. If she needed love, she would've come across as more desperate and needy that malicious and just plain evil.

• Brohoof 1