Jan animations shut down by hasbro/C&D

M'aiq the Liar

Precisely how I feel half the time. I love the show, I love the official content and there is even some fan content I love. It seems as though the creators of that content half the time are just happy they were able to do anything at all and are honored that Hasbro even recognized it. They are usually willing to cooperate with Hasbro because they look up to them for providing the content in the first place.

Then the fans of the fan work make them look like a bunch of asshats to Hasbro by flipping their shit despite being told not to. Then they scream about injustice and copyright laws that they have little understanding of as if they would know better than the legal department of a multi-million dollar company. Occasionally they will get a fledgling law student to agree with them and somehow think that makes the whole "fan work" argument work despite clearly having little understanding of how parody laws actually work. Spoiler: Calling it a parody and saying it's non-profit does not magically make the legal departments go away; nor does it make it so your argument will stand in court.

I am willing to bet though that despite their insistence that they would be "glad people are making deviations of their work" most of these fans if they were in Hasbro's position would act exactly as they are. It's so easy to say you'd do something else when you've never been in that situation now isn't it?

Yes, because if a current government is justified in somthing, that means you should never question it, and never try to change the law. I mean, it would be like letting those silly gays marry, churches are within their right to ban gay marriage.

I hate this. It feels unnecessary and it reminds of bullying. Of course Jan could question the C&D based on the Copyright Law's details that allow for fair use, but this takes money, and a lot of it. And even it they tried something, Hasbro would just throw some more money in the process and then what? The reason this happened is not because Hasbro has the right to protect their IP. It's because they have money. FUCK THIS SHIT!

EDIT: Typo...

Edited by moonlightavenger

https://www.fimfiction.net/user/32864/Metemponychosis

For dumb, self-important fics about mythology, ponies and fascist griffons that can't figure friendship out.

And I'm just getting started.

I hate this. It feels unnecessary and it reminds of bullying. Of course Jan could question the C&C based on the Copyright Law's details that allow for fair use, but this takes money, and a lot of it. And even it they tried something, Hasbro would just throw some more money in the process and then what? The reason this happened is not because Hasbro has the right to protect their IP. It's because they have money. FUCK THIS SHIT!

did you read Mando Ponys response? he said hasbro has known about the animations for a long time and were impressed by them, but they had to say something because they have to defend their rights or lose the copyright

My Let's Play channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy14-AEEHdfj5QQAlYtB1_A

Need a guest Rapper on a song? talk to me!: http://mlpforums.com/topic/103097-guest-rapper-for-you/

NEW SONG:

did you read Mando Ponys response? he said hasbro has known about the animations for a long time and were impressed by them, but they had to say something because they have to defend their rights or lose the copyright

I don't care what he says. I care that this is fucking unfair and unnecessary. What, do I have to think that they were magnanimous by letting it live for a while before killing it?

For dumb, self-important fics about mythology, ponies and fascist griffons that can't figure friendship out.

I am very sad, but this is Hasbro's right, some of the content they used where actual characters from the show, background based or not. My arguement for hasbro would be that "but he wasn't doing any of his animation for profit!" but they don't care about that, they are a business after the end of the day and they don't want to risk their material being stolen.

It's sad but...we've got to move on, hope other MLP content will be avaliable for us that won't fall under their "copyright" rules.

I'm just a silly little alicorn, trying to get by in the fandom ^^

sig-19227.SignatureAlicorn2_zpsb868001e.png

The Lightning Bliss Show

Lightning Bliss DevianArt

Seriously Hasbro? How was JanAnimations doing anything to hurt their intellectual property. It is probably one of the most 'kid friendly' fan animations out there, and they didn't make money off of it so it should have been under fair use.

EDIT: I noticed some people have already reposted some of Jan's videos. It's not the same as watching from the official channel though :(

Edited by I-Iz-A-Person

http://i-iz-a-person.deviantart.com/

I-Iz-A-Person: 20% Cooler since 2013

I don't care what he says. I care that this is fucking unfair and unnecessary. What, do I have to think that they were magnanimous by letting it live for a while before killing it?

umm yes, Mando pointed out that we should be happy that they let it stay up for so long, its not like they wanted to, but they had to do something at some point or they would be in danger of losing the copyright, if you dont know, Mando Pony has connections to Hasbro, hell his girl friend is one of the animators of the show, so his statement is reliable

Need a guest Rapper on a song? talk to me!: http://mlpforums.com/topic/103097-guest-rapper-for-you/

NEW SONG:

While I appreciate this topic's attempt at trying to tackle a world issue deemed to be very serious at the time, it has not endured the tests of time, and thus will not be enjoyed by the majority of people in our contemporary society.

In other news, I wasn't the most ardent viewer of JanAnimations, but I liked their videos and I'm sorry to see this happen.

CuteCometSig.png.f16d5c8ed97aa389f3c6656ff5a9a1cd.png

umm yes, Mando pointed out that we should be happy that they let it stay up for so long, its not like they wanted to, but they had to do something at some point or they would be in danger of losing the copyright, if you dont know, Mando Pony has connections to Hasbro, hell his girl friend is one of the animators of the show, so his statement is reliable

Well, I don't. This is bullshit. Why is there a fair use clause then? The only reason this happened it's because Hasbro has money to throw at the court. Oh... Poor Hasbro... Someone is making fan content. They are gonna lose all their money if then don't protect their IP! Won't someone think of the IP?! What a load of political correctness. 

Jan is a smart lad. Remember, just because his videos were taken down doesn't exactly mean they will be completely and surely gone. Jan can do many other things with those videos. If making them the style of FIM gets them copyrighted as well as using their characters he can always find ways to crack this window. They have the data, the voices, the acting, and the story. Though it won't be the same and they may not be quite as interesting, Jan does technically still own Buttons mother, which means if she passed as safe then he always has the opportunity to create the series via his own imagination in it's own world. We know how capable he is. We can still have "Buttons Adventures" it just won't be "Buttons Adventures"

• Brohoof 1

AcXXucv.jpg

Credit to Kyoshi for the awesome signature!

Seems to me that Hasbro is just being a little too strict with its own legality. As long as someone uses thier product which includes characters, settings, etc.; they can file a c&d against anyone they choose no matter the purposes of said content.

Back when they did this to Fighting is Magic and The Molestia tumblr blog they had other reasons such to protect the image of the show being about what it is. Of course with Jan and his animations I can't see why they would C&D it. Possibly because it looks too official and the quality of it is just as if not better than the actual product it parodied.

I'm not exactly sure behind their reasoning but in any case lets pray this issue is resolved and Hasbro can relax .

Wow, really?

I guess I have to say I'm disappointed in Hasbro.

I mean, it's not like we're all out to get them or anything.

They always C&D the best fan made things of the show.

Instead of taking it as a threat, wouldn't it just be better to appreciate what the fans work so hard to make?

This kind of stuff is made for pure gratitude towards the series.

I bet Jan is pretty pissed about this right now.

I'm pretty bummed the Pony Rock Anthem music video didn't come out before hand, I was really wanting to see it.

Oh well, another great Brony lost.

What can you do? :/

post-8308-0-57732400-1422393202.png

Well, I don't. This is bullshit. Why is there a fair use clause then? The only reason this happened it's because Hasbro has money to throw at the court. Oh... Poor Hasbro... Someone is making fan content. They are gonna lose all their money if then don't protect their IP! Won't someone think of the IP?! What a load of political correctness. 

ill quote this from Mando " If they were going after fan-made works with malicious intent, they would have destroyed us all a long time ago. They want us to exist and they want us to produce content—we just can’t “compete” with them. JanAnimations, so far, has been the only artist in the community with the talent and ability to ACTUALLY compete with Pony and produce similar looking content. That’s probably why he was targeted."his its not that it was just fan content, it was fan content so well made that it rivaled the quality of the shot to the point it was almost mirroring it, thats another reason it got hit, he was using the style of the show, Hasbro in addition to having rights to characters also has rights to the style it was made in

• Brohoof 1

NEW SONG:

ill quote this from Mando " If they were going after fan-made works with malicious intent, they would have destroyed us all a long time ago. They want us to exist and they want us to produce content—we just can’t “compete” with them. JanAnimations, so far, has been the only artist in the community with the talent and ability to ACTUALLY compete with Pony and produce similar looking content. That’s probably why he was targeted."his its not that it was just fan content, it was fan content so well made that it rivaled the quality of the shot to the point it was almost mirroring it, thats another reason it got hit, he was using the style of the show, Hasbro in addition to having rights to characters also has rights to the style it was made in

I understand what you are saying. And I understand what MandoPony is saying. And I think it's bullshit.

Not gonna repeat myself anymore.

Wow, really?

I guess I have to say I'm disappointed in Hasbro.

I mean, it's not like we're all out to get them or anything.

They always C&D the best fan made things of the show.

Instead of taking it as a threat, wouldn't it just be better to appreciate what the fans work so hard to make?

This kind of stuff is made for pure gratitude towards the series.

I bet Jan is pretty pissed about this right now.

I'm pretty bummed the Pony Rock Anthem music video didn't come out before hand, I was really wanting to see it.

Oh well, another great Brony lost.

What can you do? :/

actually, Jan isnt all that mad, he agreed to do it, and acording the Shady Voxx thing, Jan kinda wants to work with them so its best he stays on their good side, also Mando Pony pointed out that Hasbro has known about the animation for quite some time and decided to let it slide for so long, we should be thankful of at least that

• Brohoof 1

NEW SONG:

That makes a little more sense now, thanks. ^^

MandoPony does have a point.

So...maybe it should be some sort of compliment that Jan's work was so good that it rivaled the show, right? ^^"

actually, Jan isnt all that mad, he agreed to do it, and acording the Shady Voxx thing, Jan kinda wants to work with them so its best he stays on their good side, also Mando Pony pointed out that Hasbro has known about the animation for quite some time and decided to let it slide for so long, we should be thankful of at least that

Again, another great point on top of that.

I'm glad this didn't ruin Jan's day, but I'm still pretty sure he's not that happy about it.

You seem to know a lot about Jan...  :umad:

Edited by Adorkable

That makes a little more sense now, thanks. ^^

MandoPony does have a point.

So...maybe it should be some sort of compliment that Jan's work was so good that it rivaled the show, right? ^^"

Again, another great point on top of that.

I'm glad this didn't ruin Jan's day, but I'm still pretty sure he's not that happy about it.

You seem to know a lot about Jan...  :umad:

i went and looked at his twitter :P

• Brohoof 1

NEW SONG:

Hasbro has the right to do so, but I really don't like. If I made a cartoon, game, comic or anything else I would be completely fine with people using my characters and ideas as long as they gave me credit for it. I can understand it from a corporate point of view, but from a fan perspective I hate it.

Twilight is best pony.

Why hello MLPForums! What have ya been up to?

Yes, we should be thankful the corporate overlords let us have what little they allow us.

But that aside, Mando's reply to all this seems very praising of the company. And the line "you can make fan stuff, just don't make it as good as ours" is a huge warning sign for the current environment of the corporate world. You can do whatever you want, so long as it cannot challenge our monopoly at all.

• Brohoof 3

I can't believe this! I didn't get Button's Mother's real name!

"Button's Mom"

lol

There's a link on the OP, the second one, everyone should go listen to it, it explains a lot.

Apparently they were working on a Button's Adventure Episode 2, but now they have to re-style everything because they style everything was drawn in was owned by Hasbro, now Jan has to take out all the MLP characters he put in the videos.

So, I guess Sweetie and Button won't be seeing each other again, will they? :/