Jan animations shut down by hasbro/C&D

M'aiq the Liar

So basically you just have to make a pony thing in a better (or just different) style than Hasbro's, change the character design of Button Mash (Hasbro didn't give that brown colt a name), and remove any and all reasonable references to My Little Pony, just so the legal team at Hasbro will be happy.

Eh.

Confirmed for C&D, hasbro has killed button mash, arguably one of the best fan made animations, who is next? Snowdrop? Digibroni? Episode reviews in general? After doublerainboom being C&D'd, along with ask molesta, a large number of overseas plushie manufacturers, it seems hasbro may finally be cracking down on those who use its trade mark.

http://m.youtube.com/channel/UCa5Gle6aZGN8sLFLZfmbuEg

The link to Jan's youtube page shows that all pony videos are gone.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0IUXMulZbO1 Update from Shadyvox, the voice of button himself, it is a confirmed C&D, and they will not be continuing any pone related works in the future.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Double Rainboom wasn't C&D'd; Zachary Rich had written permission from Hasbro to make it. He took it down voluntarily.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not excusing my behavior, but we in the UK don't get the Hub. If we did. I'd pay for it!

Buy the episodes through amazon or itunes then like others do. 

I have to highly disagree with your veiws on fan art too. After all, the sistine chapel art is just bible fan art. 

• Brohoof 2

My oc - http://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/flash-fire-r5698 pixel_dash_running_by_shearx-d4tfdq7.gif

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care. I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me.

Take me out, to the black. Tell my ma I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

So basically you just have to make a pony thing in a better (or just different) style than Hasbro's, change the character design of Button Mash (Hasbro didn't give that brown colt a name), and remove any and all reasonable references to My Little Pony, just so the legal team at Hasbro will be happy.

That's basically it, I think, in a nutshell. ^^"

post-8308-0-57732400-1422393202.png

I thought the Button Mash videos were a bit overrated, but he was the best fan-made pony animator out there by far. Really top-notch quality stuff he posted. Really such a shame... DX

Buy the episodes through amazon or itunes then like others do. 

I have to highly disagree with your veiws on fan art too. After all, the sistine chapel art is just bible fan art.

I would, but I have a Chromebook and you can't download iTunes, or use the amazon store, unless its through the android app.

post-8308-0-66561800-1384115058_zps8a951

Beautiful, Stylish, Fabulous AND evil! What more could you want?
(Thanks Kyoshi for letting everyone use your sigs!)

Something has clearly forced Hasbro to do this. Something with the copyright laws. I am not too keen on it all myself so I could be completely off but isn't there something saying that they HAVE to protect their copyrights? That's what that statement from Hasbro basically says.

So, if this is the case, it is indeed insanely unfortunate and bullshit, but, I don't blame Hasbro or anyone here, except maybe the confusing copyright laws..

• Brohoof 2

KyoshiFrostWolfSIG1.jpg.b0b2e3d0d15e6abf25982983986dcba1.jpg

One of my friends from uni works for an animation studio, and he is proud of the few animations he's worked on. Why should he have to see his work ripped off? I asked him about this and he does get upset when he sees r34 and stuff like that.

This isn't about r34. It is about FAN ART. Whether a single drawing or an animated video, suppressing fanart is absolutely sick. What kind of artist is he if he thinks it's okay to take other people's artwork off the web just because they used the same style, characters etc. That's what fanart is.

I understand taking the full episodes of MLP down, but nothing else. 

Hasbro will get what's coming to them if they go too far. The fans are the ones supporting their paychecks after all.

Edited by Solar-Wind

This isn't about r34. It is about FAN ART. Whether a single drawing or an animated video, suppressing fanart is absolutely sick. What kind of artist is he if he thinks it's okay to take other people's artwork off the web just because they used the same style, characters etc. That's what fanart is.

Hasbro will get what's coming to them if they go too far. The fans are the ones supporting their paychecks after all.

Let's...just calm down for a minute. ^^"

You do know that it's not Hasbro's fault, right?

And they if they didn't do what they did to Jan, then they may have lost their Copyright to MLP?

Then there would be no more MLP.

(Kinda)

post-8308-0-57732400-1422393202.png

Also the about bazillion toys & board games they hold the rights too

img-2260704-1-KkRhhut.png

Amazing signature by Lunia

lightning twirl: http://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/lightning-twirl-r5694

Sugar blossom: http://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/sugar-blossom-r5952

I should really do my homework.... OH look a notification

This sucks because of all the fan videos I've seen Jan Animations is consistently the best out there. Everything from the writing to the art design the characters and animation is up there with the show itself, and I guess right there that is the problem as if you didn't know then You could easily confuse JA's content with Hasbro's content. (Not something you are gonna do with 'Smile HD' for example).

I hadn't twigged the Button was an actual character from the show (albeit a background pony) so when you rope in the plans for an entire series of button videos I understand where Hasbro comes from. JA,s videos are just too professional and getting to close to an actual product for comfort.

I would have preferred if hasbro has just taken down the button vids (leaving meet the Bronies, picture perfect pony... Ect) but when media companys wield the C&D axe they tend to swing it wide..

I would add that most of his vids are hosted on other channels so grab them wile you can....

If we protest won't that go against the tolerance part of love and tolerance?

img-2435340-1-24093542.jpg

Some promises, just are made to be broken. To hell with Love and Tolerance, as I would find it useless. ;)

If it is legit and semi suspect it is then my personal speculation is that it didn't have so much to do with the character Button so much as the use of Sweetie Bell who IS canon to the show.

That's my suspicion anyway.

Hey I'm upset too about this but you're ignoring what everyone has said in the thread already about the legal rights that Hasbro has. You can be upset all you want but its your choice how you deal with that. It's not appropriate to cuss up and down on this forum and not be knowledgable about the basics of how the legal system works with trademarks and copyrights.     Feel free to write a nasty letter to Hasbro if you want to do make your voice heard and get them to see this as a pr disaster. Just don't feel you have to tear into every brony who isn't thinking that the sky is falling or that Hasbro is the big bad guy.

I'm not upset. I'm pissed. And I'm pissed at you for the way you've talked to me.

And if it is not appropriate to cuss then you can report those comments to the mods.

Tell me how this law works and that it's not a tool for scare tactics and I'll shut up. How is it that fan work puts an IP in danger of being lost when this thing is registered, forcing Hasbro to take legal action.

• Brohoof 3

https://www.fimfiction.net/user/32864/Metemponychosis

For dumb, self-important fics about mythology, ponies and fascist griffons that can't figure friendship out.

And I'm just getting started.

This feels like the beginning of dark days for this fandom.

All I am going to say is I really, and I mean REALLY, can't understand the reason behind this C&D even after reading all the previous comments. If they'll really want someone to remove a video that shows a character that was shown in FiM for 2-3 seconds then why the hell did they even let the video be in YouTube as long as it was. I do not believe that they just noticed it. Heck if they decided to C&D animations why not go all the way and C&D every video that shows Derpy, Lyra, Bon Bon. Heck even one or all of the Mane 6 if they're so afraid for the trademark. 

Now that Hasbro actually went and sent a C&D for a group of animators, I fear we can expect another one for other animator groups like SillyFillyStudios or the ones that made Children of the Night etc. I also fear the consequences of this whole thing. This will put fear on all animators and possibly all artists and writers. Whose to say they won't be a target either?

The whole thing is BS IMO. 

What's the point of being a fan if you can't express it the way you want to?

Edited by Koori
  • Brohoof 1

Get through the unknown like your life depended on it.

Yes, because if a current government is justified in somthing, that means you should never question it, and never try to change the law. I mean, it would be like letting those silly gays marry, churches are within their right to ban gay marriage.

I am giggling because you just compared to protecting copyrighted property to gay marriage. I don't even think I need to comment any further.

Double Rainboom wasn't C&D'd; Zachary Rich had written permission from Hasbro to make it. He took it down voluntarily.

Actually in the Rainboom takedown thread it was revealed that Hasbro might have indeed told him to take it down. Revealed Not by Zachary but by others.

Edited by nioniosbbbb

One of my friends from uni works for an animation studio, and he is proud of the few animations he's worked on. Why should he have to see his work ripped off? I asked him about this and he does get upset when he sees r34 and stuff like that.

If that were me I'd be more like.  Huh, someone actually cared enough about my stuff to make this.  And then I'd probably send them a half-sarcastic letter of thanks.

I'm the uber-conservative one.
Rainbow Dash x Kitchen Sink OTP
A great man once said, "ON MLP 4UMS ERRYTHIN IS SRS BSNS"
20% Chance I'm on my Wii U while posting this.

I am giggling because you just compared to protecting copyrighted property to gay marriage. I don't even think I need to comment any further.

I'm giggiling because another college 20 somthing thinks that because a book says it is ok, that he should never fight against it.

• Brohoof 2