Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What kind of Shampoo do you use?

ghostfacekiller39

• 4 months later...

There's a discontinued Suave I use, it's Green Apple. It's been phased out, but I find it at dollar stores all the time. Smells good, makes my hair soft, and it's cheap.

I like Old Spice and Irish Spring always have used those.

I actually have Old Spice deodorant and I've used Irish Spring body wash and shampoo before too. Great smelling stuff.

What would you guys recommend for thick, oily hair?

As someone with this problem, if you've got a dime to spend I recommend Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Extract - it's expensive, though, but if the problem is bad enough, totally worth it :D

Is it true that you should only shampoo every other day or so? I heard that using shampoo every day can damage your scalp.

Yes indeedy. That and it makes your hair hard to manage. 

I only shampoo my hair every 3 days, but every other day is generally what's recommended :D

• Brohoof 1

As someone with this problem, if you've got a dime to spend I recommend Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Extract - it's expensive, though, but if the problem is bad enough, totally worth it :D

Is it hard to find in stores? Or will I have to order it online?

Yes indeedy. That and it makes your hair hard to manage. 

I only shampoo my hair every 3 days, but every other day is generally what's recommended :D

Wow, I had no idea. Thanks for the info. Also, would you recommend a certain conditioner, or should I not use one at all? Or should we just make a separate thread for that?

• Brohoof 1

would you recommend a certain conditioner, or should I not use one at all? Or should we just make a separate thread for that?

It actually depends on what kind of conditioner you want. Do you want a leave-in or Rinse out conditioner? 

It actually depends on what kind of conditioner you want. Do you want a leave-in or Rinse out conditioner? 

What's the difference between the two?

What's the difference between the two?

A Leave-in conditioner is a conditioner that you put in your hair and it stays in your hair, it causes it to look kind of oily but makes it very manageable.

A Rinse-out is a conditioner that you put into your hair and leave in for a couple minutes then rinse out, It makes the hair look cleaner and makes it so much softer, but is a little less manageable. 

• Brohoof 1

This thread made me get up and go to the bathroom to find out. I have nothing better to do today. :okiedokielokie:

Pantene Pro-V Daily Clean with CLINICALLY PROVEN TECHNOLOGY for HEALTHIER, CLEANER HAIR

Seems alright.

• Brohoof 1

A Leave-in conditioner is a conditioner that you put in your hair and it stays in your hair, it causes it to look kind of oily but makes it very manageable.

A Rinse-out is a conditioner that you put into your hair and leave in for a couple minutes then rinse out, It makes the hair look cleaner and makes it so much softer, but is a little less manageable. 

Manageable in what way? For what it's worth, I don't really style my hair.

Manageable in what way? For what it's worth, I don't really style my hair.

It makes it easier to style, so you're going to want a Rinse-out conditioner. Most of the time, a shampoo has a rinse-out conditioner partner, so you should just go with that. 

• Brohoof 1

Heh... I used to have pretty long hair back in the day.  I still will let it grow medium long for a while, then I get it cut short.  I don't care about how long it is in the back, but once my bangs start irritating me because they keep falling into my eyes, and I keep shoving them out of the way, it's time for a hair cut.    

Not to brag or anything... but my hair is always really soft ^_^ but sometimes it can depend on the shampoo.  

I used to try different ones out just for the fun of it, to see how it made my hair feel, and if it made it feel any different.  Also, I just love the different smells.  

For me to like a shampoo, it MUST be sudsy when I'm washing my hair.  Shampoos that don't suds up don't do well for me.  They end up somehow drying my hair out too much, making it almost frizzy.  So, the sudsier the better!  But, obviously there's more to it than that.  Other things can effect it like whether or not you use conditioner (or if what you use is typically 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner, which is the norm for me) or not.

Now, I should also say my hair can get pretty oily, but not "overly" so, and I suspect that has something to do with it's softness.

---

So, of the shampoos I've tried, and from what I can remember about them:

Anything that's "3-in-1 body wash/shampoo/conditioner" is a hell to the N-O...  Body wash is not for your hair, silly, no matter what.  It makes your hair very tangle-y and hard to brush/comb.  Actually, the funny thing is, I use mostly "2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner" for not just my hair, but also as body wash.  Hey, it get's the job done, and it leaves your hair soft and smooth.  

Axe [anything] is just meh.  It's just "adequate" but not up to par with others.

Old Spice [anything] is, IMHO, better than Axe.  But, still not as good as actual shampoo companies' shampoos (Old Spice is like Axe, a company who tries to cover all the bases, and thus, isn't going to focus too much on whether or not their shampoo is "awesome" or just "adequate"...).

Suave... I'll use it only if it's all I have.  Otherwise, lol.  Yah-no... It's basically what sets the bar for being on-par (the minimum standard).  

Head and Shoulders - Yes!  It's good stuff.  It'll make for some real soft and snuggle-able hair.  My favorite is the 2-in-1 kind.  (Of course).

*cough* So, sometimes I'd [accidentally on purpose] use my mom's shampoo *cough* 
And... Let's just say she get's the good shit.  

Anything made by Tresemme is awesome.

But... her favorite (which, is probably my favorite [of the shampoos she uses])... is...

(Matrix) Biolage!  

post-27651-0-25025800-1409445279_thumb.gif

Let's say that Head and shoulders is Grade B (Suave gets a C lol)

If Tresemme is Grade A, then Biolage is like an A+ (yes, it's that good).

But...  Tresemme and Biolage are expensive.  

So, I do have a solution, (yay)!

One half a tier above Head and Shoulders, and one half tier below Tresemme...
In my opinion... is...

Garnier Fructis!

post-27651-0-54388600-1409445649_thumb.jpg

I give Garnier a Grade A- and that's perfect for me.

Ironically, I'm actually out of shampoo (just ran out) at college right now.  I should get myself a green bottle of this hair-candy (dude, you've got to smell it, it's amazing).

post-27651-0-25025800-1409445279_thumb.gif

post-27651-0-54388600-1409445649_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1