Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is the highest form of education you completed or plan to complete?

Rye_B_P

I passed the GED test in 2014.

I vaguely remember getting some awards about grades, but I didn't really care about them. If this counts, I'm pretty sure I ended up getting the highest SAT and ACT scores in the entire area (I definitely got the highest for the whole school's history), before dropping out... and my dad still wanted me to study more, he was disappointed that I didn't get perfect scores ^^;

For the future...

I don't really want to bother with a degree (since I hate school and will likely hate college as well), but if getting a job without one seems too difficult then there's already a plan in place to get a simple associate degree in general studies. I'm not sure how many credits I have, but I've already passed a few CLEP tests and DSST's.

I plan to get Cisco certifications (like CCNA), although I haven't really started working on that yet ^^;;

Edited by Drasamo

After graduating from high school, I did some community college but had to stop due to some personal issues.  I do plan on going back to finish my studies one day, at least get a degree in science and move onto something more specific, don't know what though.

• Brohoof 2

Graduated high school as one of the valedictorians of my class (I went to a really competitive one), graduated last winter with my Bachelor's of Science in Chemistry and Philosophy (double major), and just finished applying to some law schools.  May or may not go to "real" graduate school; if I do either for an M.S. in Patent Law (to complement my J.D.), in Chemistry, or in Urban Planning.  Ph. D.s may also be in the future.

I have a certificate IV in multimedia studies and I'm currently studying a Diploma of Digital media. I'm moving to the work force next year and if that goes poorly I plan on coming back to further it into a bachelor.   I have no clue what the American equivalents of any of these are

Let's see, you're Australian?  *Checks Wikipedia* Yeah, Americans aren't quite so specific about qualifications like that.  There aren't any equivalents, except maybe perhaps vocational training certificates. 

I don't really want to bother with a degree (since I hate school and will likely hate college as well)

Why do you hate school?  If you're an American (and you likely are if you had to go through the SAT and ACT), I don't blame you-- not only does it tend to be lazy in teaching almost everything, but the very regimentation of student life also doesn't appeal to a lot of people.  College is certainly a different experience than high school, where you have much more freedom to choose your classes, you don't have to go to classes back to back and regular attendance is not really an issue.  Plus, teachers in college will be more likely to be enthusiastic about what they're teaching.

Edited by OptimisticNeighsayer
  • Brohoof 1

I graduated last May from college and received an AA degree. I would like to go to a university but I have no idea what I want to do. It's very frustrating. My major was General Studies. I have a big interest in the video game industry and most likely would like to do something in that area.

• Brohoof 1

I want to finish my Master's degree in Neuroscience at one of the universities here in Holland. It'll take a while though but I'm definitely gonna finish within 5-6 years, since I'm doing a dual major at the moment it'll take a little longer.

Ooh ooh ooh, what's your favorite gyrus?

I plan to get Cisco certifications (like CCNA), although I haven't really started working on that yet ^^;;

Have you taken a look at CompTIA as well? They have a suite of certifications for networking and security that are held in pretty high regard in the industry.

As for me, I have my Bachelor's but would like to go back to grad school one of these days to study data science and machine learning. I love database design and analytics already, and I've gone crazy over the little bits of machine learning that I've stumbled across. Seems like the natural next step.

Why do you hate school?  If you're an American (and you likely are if you had to go through the SAT and ACT), I don't blame you-- not only does it tend to be lazy in teaching almost everything, but the very regimentation of student life also doesn't appeal to a lot of people.  College is certainly a different experience than high school, where you have much more freedom to choose your classes, you don't have to go to classes back to back and regular attendance is not really an issue.  Plus, teachers in college will be more likely to be enthusiastic about what they're teaching.

I hate the schedule of it, I hate how I'm supposed to learn useless things that I don't care about, I hate how I have to jump through hoops and produce a bunch of work to show that I've "learned" something... I used to love learning all sorts of new things, but school has pretty much sucked the energy out of me.

Anytime I'm in a school-type environment I feel extremely uneasy, which is one of the reasons I dropped out of highschool. Now, it's really hard to get myself to learn something, even if it's for my own sake and not because some 'authority' said so. For example, I really want to start learning about computer networking and security, to work towards a certification, but I find myself unable to do it.

My older brother is similar to me, and he said that he hated college, so I don't think it's something I want either ^^;

Have you taken a look at CompTIA as well? They have a suite of certifications for networking and security that are held in pretty high regard in the industry.

Hmm, I haven't heard of that before. I'll look into it, thanks ^^

• Brohoof 2

Hmm, I haven't heard of that before. I'll look into it, thanks ^^

Happy to help! I'm finally getting around to certifications myself right now, and CompTIA has been great for learning all sorts of stuff.

• Brohoof 2

Currently I'm a senior in highschool, so I have a few more months before I graduate. I am planning on attending community college to get my gen Ed credits completed and out of the way. Then, I'll enroll in a University and work towards my bachelor degree in Social Work. That's what I'm planning on doing after high school.(:

• Brohoof 2

Ooh ooh ooh, what's your favorite gyrus?

That would have to be the gyrus fusiformis! There's a multiple of reasons why I like it. First of all I just like how it's lying down there in the cortex temporalis inferior, it's easy to find. Second of all I like how it's the end station of the ventral route for visual stimuli. The recognition of words, faces and objects. Although I don't have anything like prosopagnosia, I can very much relate to not recognizing people or words, not in their way of misrecognizing of course, but still relatable. My eyesight's pretty bad and I was really stubborn before giving up and finally getting glasses. During those glass-less moments it was very hard for me to recognize people or read words from even an arm's length. This gyrus function is kinda close to me in that way, recognizing things. Not in the fact that I can't recognize them like prosopagnosia patients do, but because I can't read a word or recognize a person from afar without glasses, even if they're waving at me.

Funny how just a few years back I hardly knew anything about the brain besides some basic biology things, and now I have a favorite area for it :P

• Brohoof 1

I have a Bachelor's Degree in English and earned an Associate's Degree in general studies before that. I graduated high school in 2007. I started taking graduate courses, but have stopped doing that and now I'm looking into IT certifications. CompTIA seems to be a common topic on this thread, so I'll look into that.

• Brohoof 1

I am currently attending a University.  My highest level of completed education, however, is my High School Diploma.  I am in my third semester of college though.  I plan on joining the military after I have earned my Bachelors, to be able to go in as an Officer.  Aside from that, I have also thought of police work.

• Brohoof 1

In 2013 I graduated high school, I had several awards during that time, some more significant than others but I can't name them all. The most noteworthy included a writing award, I was chosen for it over all the other seniors, and my two honors diplomas. One was in academics and the other in music. I only got one medal for both of those though and that made me sad. 

Now I'm an undergraduate working on a BS in Industrial Engineering and a BA in Psychology, as well as an International degree in French. I hope to graduate sometime in 2018. 

As for future education I'm unsure. At this point I don't think a masters would put me far enough ahead in engineering that it would be worth the time and money of going back to school. I do plan on getting a PsyD some day and becoming a therapist, but that's much further down the road. 

• Brohoof 1

Associate's in IT.

After that, I declined to do anymore -- too many bucking deadlines the first time around, IMO.

P.S.: And I won my state's Lt. Governor's Award back in 2000 -- when I was 10 -- for writing a 1st-person story about an amateur scientist time-traveling to meet Benjamin Franklin.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

@, have you ever read Chaos: The Making of a New Science by James Gleick?

If you like meteorology, it's worth reading about how your field turned physics completely on its head.

• Brohoof 1

Hoping to go to university to get a degree in computer science with a year in industry.
Just need to get good grades >.<

• Brohoof 1

I only completed as far as high school. I never went to college due to special needs. School was hard enough for me, and I swore after I got through high school, I would be done with trying anymore. It put a toll on me and ended up causing my anxiety over everything to erupt. x_x

• Brohoof 1

Well I graduate high school in a couple months so whoooooop.

After that I plan on going to West Texas A&M for my bachelors in some kind of science. Ecology maybe? Not really sure, I've gotta look more into the majors and what careers I could make out of them.

• Brohoof 1

I earned my physics Ph. D. a few years ago, but I am still working for my adviser because the hiring politics surrounding Ph. D.'s is weird.  I might be getting a job in Washington D.C. in the near future though.

• Brohoof 1