Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is the highest form of education you completed or plan to complete?

Rye_B_P

Graduated High School in 2009.

Year and a half in Community College for culinary, then dropped out.

• Brohoof 1

Dont' forget to put that on your resume for when you apply for jobs!  Having you in a leadership position, is looked on highly by employers, so even though it was for school. The first job you apply for look for things like this, when they consider canidates, who have little or no experience in the field, working for another company.

I'll be sure to put that and the fact that I have taken the lead role of my dad's farm so he can take breaks on certain weekends.

My mind gets all boggled when I try to balance the work on the farm and my studies :P

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I have an Associates in Arts (specifically Music Performance).

I'd love to continue, going into Musicology, but... I can't go on living like everything is okay anymore. Last year at college, my parents had to pay for some of it in the end, and I felt terrible. I'm wasting people's time and money.

So, there are no plans. Just being stuck at my miserable job with a terrible shift (note: I'm mature enough to see that the job I have isn't just too miserable, it's just the thought of it really ending there that makes me use such a word as 'miserable'), and community orchestra... Orchestra is all I have anymore. But I guess that's enough. It's also currently with the one I love... So I guess that is an ending that is somehow happy enough to make me muster up a smile.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

Went from being a "brilliant student" in elementary school to being a high school drop out. I failed 9th grade twice then dropped out due to truency and generally not giving a fuck. There are a million other reasons but it would take me forever to put it all into words. I'll probably be taking the GED test soon. Although I feel this is a complete waste of time, my mother really wants me to take it so I've been trying to study for it. 

College is just a pipe dream. There is no way in hell I would be able to afford it, and I also have no clue what I would want to study, so that would be even more of a waste of time. So my future isn't exactly on the bright side, but in the conditions in which I've been living in, I can't say anyone else could have realistically done much better.

This is but a mere example of the many failures I've managed to fulfill in the colossal train-wreck I call my life.

I understand your reasoning, College is not for every one.  I went to college, right after high school cause all the places I looked for work, would not even give me an interview, unless I meet their minimum of a bachelors degree.  So I went for my bachelors and started to get interviews.  I worked a few contracting positions to gain experience.  Then I went for my masters when the economy got worse.  Since I was getting beat by people who had a masters or had more experience then me.  I am into computers and I am good at what I do.  Most employers made it crystal clear, from where I live that they refuse to interview people without a college degree, which I think it is wrong.  It also depends on what field  you want to do.  Since college is not the best option to go in that field.  

If you want to be a professor then yes, go the college route. If you want to be an auto mechanic, then go the trade school route or get that certification to become a mechanic.  If you just want to do manual labor, then don't bother with either.

I always told people, it really depends on what you want to do.  You don't need college for everything. If you do not know, then don't pursue it, unless you are sure.  I would suggest do some volunteer work in different fields, this way you can explore and see what you like and dislike as far as interests go.  It looks good on a resume and you get to explore very easily on what jobs is right for you.

Degrees/Diploma - High School Diploma in 2010, Associate of Arts in Criminal Justice in 2010, Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice in 2011, Juris Doctorate (Law School) in 2013

Awards - Lots of stuff in high school... I got the Statewide Charter School Student of the Year award in 2010, Congressional Recognition for some volunteer work I was doing back in 2007ish, a bunch of other awards for that same volunteer work, debate awards, a couple of school-wide awards... things of that nature.  Haven't really gotten anything in college though.  I graduated with honors for my A.A. and had a couple Dean's list type awards in undergrad and law school for my grade point average in certain semesters, but nothing major.

And for the irony of the situation I worked my ass off to go to law school, winded up being the youngest graduate in my class by a couple years, took, out a ton of student loans, got three degrees on the way, and now I've pretty much decided not to become a criminal lawyer after all so yay me :P Now I'm looking at working for a corporation (preferably a tech company) doing either compliance work or trust and safety management.  So yep, we'll see what happens... hopefully I get a decent job to pay off the small fortune I took out in loans to get where I am.

I forgot to mention I was on the deans list in 2006 for a year when my GPA was 3.66 for my undergrads, but then it dropped to 3.0 as I took on 2 to 3 jobs and was doing it full time.  Life really gets hard, when you are running on three hours of sleep between school work and jobs.   :/  You and me are in the same boat with the loans, but so far it is manageable.  I keep finding short term contract work that lasts 3 to 6 months, to build my resume.  Everything seems to be turning into contract/TEMP positions and no permanent positions. :/   But we all have to KEEP TRYING!  I won't give up!

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Hmm well,

2005 - Graduated High School with Art Honor

2013 - Graduated College with Associate Degree in Visiual Communication

Awards/Achievements

• Awarded V.A.S.E achievements of 2001, 2002 and 2004
  • Achieved Reserved Champion in Austin TX Rodeo Art Competition 2002
  • Awarded for Nation Art Honor Society of outstanding achievements
  • Achieved the Associate of Applied Science in Visual Communication/ 2D Animation Specialization

Future

- Though I would like to get my bachelors in 2D animation, the best schools for that are usually held in Canada, and being a starving artiest, with a immigrated husband, still going through the immigration process, and have little money as is. There's no point in me committing to living there for a 4yr study for a bachelors, espically in the jobs I'm looking for don't really require the degrees, long as you've got the talent. There for,

- I hope to get a job in a studio, if not start up my own web show with my own 2D animated characters.

Edited by Lightning Bliss
  • Brohoof 1

I have an Associates in Arts (specifically Music Performance).

I'd love to continue, going into Musicology, but... I can't go on living like everything is okay anymore. Last year at college, my parents had to pay for some of it in the end, and I felt terrible. I'm wasting people's time and money.

So, there are no plans. Just being stuck at my miserable job with a terrible shift (note: I'm mature enough to see that the job I have isn't just too miserable, it's just the thought of it really ending there that makes me use such a word as 'miserable'), and community orchestra... Orchestra is all I have anymore. But I guess that's enough. It's also currently with the one I love... So I guess that is an ending that is somehow happy enough to make me muster up a smile.

This job market is getting worse by the day, I am in a similar boat with ya.  When I went for my COMTIA certifications, my parents helped me pay for it.  However I am currently paying them back little by little.  So, like you I felt bad about others having to put money down to help ya out.   We all have that need to be "independent" from our parents and other family members.  Its just that we struggle so hard in both work and education, in order to move up to a better standard of living.  But this economy, just blows so much that the college kids and those getting out of high school are hurt the most!  Those with already years of experience are getting pay cuts and being kept longer.  I have seen "Entry level" positions that say a minimum of (3 to 5 years) us required, which puzzles me.    You are not alone, hang in there!  All of us will have to adapt to this bad economy, it does not mean you have to give up your hobby. 

• Brohoof 1

I graduated High School in 2008 and went directly into college. This was a terrible idea for me, and I slacked off hardcore. I ended up dropping out, going back for a couple credits at a time just to say that I was doing something with my life. You really do not fully understand the value of an education until you work in retail for an extended period of time. My wife and I are going back to school as of this summer (we both start next month) and I'm pursuing my Master's Degree in Mathematics. I'm very dead set on achieving this goal after experiencing what it would be like if I didn't.

• Brohoof 2

2008 High school

2012 B. Sc in applied biotechnology

2014 (somewhere between june and august) M. Sc. in Microbiology and Immunology

2017-2018 PHD in Virology and Immunology

And then who knows.

• Brohoof 2

Elementary School

High School

I don't know about community college though, I just finished my last exam today, and all I have left is my practicum to attend for 2 months.

So I am not sure if I am considered graduated from college yet or not.

• Brohoof 1

I forgot to mention I was on the deans list in 2006 for a year when my GPA was 3.66 for my undergrads, but then it dropped to 3.0 as I took on 2 to 3 jobs and was doing it full time.  Life really gets hard, when you are running on three hours of sleep between school work and jobs.   :/  You and me are in the same boat with the loans, but so far it is manageable.  I keep finding short term contract work that lasts 3 to 6 months, to build my resume.  Everything seems to be turning into contract/TEMP positions and no permanent positions. :/   But we all have to KEEP TRYING!  I won't give up!

Well the nice thing for me is that I took out such a huge amount of student loans that they're all eligible for pay as you earn repayment which means I'll never have to pay more than 10 percent of my income and they dismiss all of my remaining debt after 20 years, so the payments are manageable, but it's still irritating to know that I'm starting off my adult life that much in the hole.

I dropped out of high school a million years ago (slight numerical exaggeration :P), largely due to anxiety issues; attendance (however infrequent in my 10th grade year) of that school and the accompanying faculty being significant contributors to said issues.  I was an almost-entirely-"A" student for years, attended classes for "gifted students," and was salutatorian in middle school.  I still feel as though I was let down by the school and faculty, but I've yet to decide whether or not I let myself down.  Don't recall if I've had any recently, but I've been troubled by many a back-in-school dream in the past.

• Brohoof 2

As of now, I have completed my high school career. So, I have my high school diploma.

I am now a freshman in college (Completing my last semester).

• Brohoof 1

I have a certificate IV in multimedia studies and I'm currently studying a Diploma of Digital media. I'm moving to the work force next year and if that goes poorly I plan on coming back to further it into a bachelor.

I have no clue what the American equivalents of any of these are :P

• Brohoof 1

I dropped out of high school a million years ago (slight numerical exaggeration :P), largely due to anxiety issues; attendance (however infrequent in my 10th grade year) of that school and the accompanying faculty being significant contributors to said issues.  I was an almost-entirely-"A" student for years, attended classes for "gifted students," and was salutatorian in middle school.  I still feel as though I was let down by the school and faculty, but I've yet to decide whether or not I let myself down.  Don't recall if I've had any recently, but I've been troubled by many a back-in-school dream in the past.

Pretty much the exact same for me as well. My school was absolutely terrible and didn't seem to care about my slipping grades or anything. I also had no parental guidence whatsoever. My anxiety was through the roof and I couldn't take it anymore.

Did you ever pursue any further education, i,e a GED, Community college, etc?

• Brohoof 1

Pursuing your dreams is never a waste of time or money. I know that sounds kinda cheesy but I believe it.

Have you tried applying for financial aid of some sort? Finances are a ... unpleasant person, but I don't think you should let that stop you.

You mentioned you are in an orchestra? If you are good enough at your current level of education to make it into a community orchestra, I bet you could go far with further training.

If you can be happy with where you are now that is certainly understandable, admirable, and quite possibly what you need to do; I just hate to think that in the future someone might regret not continuing on with something, so it's just some things to think about is all.

• Brohoof 2

Did you ever pursue any further education, i,e a GED, Community college, etc?

I strongly considered pursuing the GED, but I never followed through.  And I took a home correspondence course if that even counts lol.  The whole truth is that I'm a diagnosed obsessive compulsive and something of an agoraphobe, and my more disabling symptoms began to manifest right before and during high school (really awful timing).  The thing is...  The faculty more or less knew about my condition, but whatever actions they took only seemed to exacerbate the situation.  They didn't seem to care that I was struggling to cope with something that I'm *still* learning to cope with to this day.  To be fair, they were probably as clueless / caught off-guard about it as I was at the time.

• Brohoof 1

So far.. graduated high school in 2011 with all honors except math.

Now I'm terrified to go back because holy **** math. MATH.

I could do anything I wanted if there was absolutely no math involved.  In high school, I literally cried taking a math test more than once.

When I took the placement test they told me I would start at math 50 and I've been extremely discouraged since.

Either way I plan on eventually going back and studying radiology, or to be some sort of phlebotomist.

I don't need to do anything outstanding, live in a $200,000 home or have a lot of money to be happy.

• Brohoof 1

So far.. graduated high school in 2011 with all honors except math. Now I'm terrified to go back because holy **** math. MATH. I could do anything I wanted if there was absolutely no math involved. In high school, I literally cried taking a math test more than once. When I took the placement test they told me I would start at math 50 and I've been extremely discouraged since.
I feel your pain in regards to mathematics, and if it is any consolation C. S. Lewis, one of the greatest minds of the 20th century ( just look into his massive amounts of scholarly works or stories from his student ), was struggled with math greatly and wrote in one of his works, "The Devil take it!"

And if it is any encouragement, my high school math teacher once told me that the mind is better able to learn mathematical principles around college age than in ones younger years. So your mind might be able to better understand the materials at this point.

2005 - Graduated from High School.

2005 - 2008 - Graduated with my Bachelors in International Relations with a minor in History

2008 - 2011 - Did some law school postgrad but my law career failed to take off which is one of many reasons that I'm in the Army now.

The Future

I'm hoping to get my masters in Counterterrorism Studies or something equally relevant to national security.  I still haven't decided on whether to do my 20 years in the military or get out and go private.

• Brohoof 3

2009: Graduated high school

2009: Dropped out of college

2010: Dropped out of college again

2012: Graduated EMS academy with EMT license

The Future: Fire academy? Eeyup. Go back to the EMS academy for my paramedic license? Maybe.

• Brohoof 2

2009: Graduated high school

2009: Dropped out of college

2010: Dropped out of college again

2012: Graduated EMS academy with EMT license

The Future: Fire academy? Eeyup. Go back to the EMS academy for my paramedic license? Maybe.

Well whatever you do, you definitely don't want to stay an EMT-B forever.  There's no future in that.

Pursuing your dreams is never a waste of time or money. I know that sounds kinda cheesy but I believe it.

Normally, I would agree... But the reality is that I fought a good fight. I kept on going when I should have just quit.

Do note that there's a lot more to what I'm saying than is obvious. I say it is a waste of money because of the reality of my life and the future.

I'll put it this way: With all of that taken into account, me going to college at this point would only be for fun, and making me feel like everything's normal when it simply isn't. As much as that means to me, and makes me feel like I still have a life to live, it's not fair to my family that financially supports me, nor is it to the staff who believe they are teaching me for a future career. And the idea of financial aid? Ptfh... For what? Me to go to school for fun? And what if something to me happens now and all of the tuition fees went straight to my family?

I can't live in this dream world I've created for my own comfort anymore... I have to face reality. Otherwise I'm going to hurt everybody a lot more than I already have. I can't do that to them...

Normally, I would agree... But the reality is that I fought a good fight. I kept on going when I should have just quit.

Do note that there's a lot more to what I'm saying than is obvious. I say it is a waste of money because of the reality of my life and the future.

I'll put it this way: With all of that taken into account, me going to college at this point would only be for fun, and making me feel like everything's normal when it simply isn't. As much as that means to me, and makes me feel like I still have a life to live, it's not fair to my family that financially supports me, nor is it to the staff who believe they are teaching me for a future career. And the idea of financial aid? Ptfh... For what? Me to go to school for fun? And what if something to me happens now and all of the tuition fees went straight to my family?

I can't live in this dream world I've created for my own comfort anymore... I have to face reality. Otherwise I'm going to hurt everybody a lot more than I already have. I can't do that to them...

It seems you have really this out then, in which case it sounds like you may be making the best decision for your situation.

But it sounds like you enjoy playing in the community orchestra, which I hope you stay with; and I pray you have the best of luck with that.