Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think the MLP FIM fanbase is too harsh on the 1st gen and other things

Superdogbiter

Hating the old Generations or disliking them is fine.

But saying the Show is Garbage, simply based on the fact that you cant enjoy a little girls Cartoon as an Adult, makes no sense.

It wasnt made for you.

I think some Bronies are way to harsh to the older Gens.

I think they should stop, posting Hate Comments on almost every old Generation Video.

Disliking them is fine, but attacking the Shows for no reason, despite them not even being intended for you, is really not okay.

But then again, i cant even say for sure, if everyone who makes fun of the old gens is even a Brony.

• Brohoof 2

No I don’t think the fandom is to harsh on older generations, quality wasn’t a concern during those generations, because why try when you’ll be able to sell toys anyway?

• 4 weeks later...

I think fans of gen 4 have been a tad harsh on the previous gens. I have seen many a brony down them. Myself I love the older gens,I grew up with them and now I collect them. But with that being said I do like gen 4 and there is so many references snuck in to the past generations. Just takes a bit of looking to spot them.

• Brohoof 1

Yes I do believe the older generations are hated on, but now it feels like fans of generation 4 is starting to like the older generations so the hatred on it is starting to slowly die down growing up with generation 1 I always preferred the toys they were always so pretty and its nice looking at your collection whether its the older generation or generation 4, but everybody must remember without generation 1 there would be no generation 4 and Hasbro has slipped a lot of the older characters/villains into generation 4 I always like looking for the older generation ponies in gen 4 I believe they even slipped the pony friends into an episode I know they are not the same colors and that they were just stuffed animals, but who knows it could have been a little secret egg , but at the end of the day my little pony will be loved from the older generations to gen 4. *brohoofs everypony*

• Brohoof 2

I think that the fandom is somewhat harsh on MLP's past. I mean, the older generations aren't the ponies we appreciate today, but without them, we wouldn't have FiM.

The toys themselves were definitely higher quality than what we get today. They had more poses, for one thing.

The shows and movies, however, I can understand not enjoying those. They don't have the best characterization and plots, but that's not what Habsro was focusing on. The toys were what they have always cared about. Even today's show was made to sell toys. Nothing has really changed other than the quality of the show.

• Brohoof 4

• 1 month later...

Umm... nobody hates first gen you know? Everyone hates on G3, not G1

I do not wish to be rude or to start a fight, but I would like to say that I am among the minority that loves G3.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
I'm probably one of the few here old enough to remember when G1 first came out. Given that cartoon writing in the 80s wasn't that sophisticated, it wasn't terrible.

That's a rather unfair generalisation.  Granted, every era has a few cartoons that are best consigned to the dustbin of time and the 80s was no different.  However, the 80s also gave us things like Dogtanian, Around the World with Willy fog and The Mysterious Cites of Gold to name a mere three off the top of my head, all great cartoons with continual plots that spanned the entire run and gave some credit for intelligence to their viewers.

As for the hatred towards G1, it seems to me that of the previous generations it is held in the highest regard by far.  Not universally loved by any means, but more popular than any of the others before G4.

A common argument is that everyone should respect G1 because it was the genesis of the entire franchise.  Although a fair enough comment, it makes for slightly spurious reasoning.  To use an analogy following said reasoning, if you like the idea of the torch relay that precedes the Olympic games, then you must by extension respect the Nazi Party of Germany who began the tradition in 1936.  I'm sure not many people would agree with that statement, but that is because to like something does not mean you must automatically like where that thing came from originally.

I never really watched G1, it was very much a girls cartoon and I was more interested in watching Transformers or the cartoons I mentioned above (among many others), but that being said, I have no hatred for it.  It exists, and I have no objection to it existing, but that doesn't mean I'm suddenly going to start watching it any time soon regardless of how much I enjoy Friendship is Magic.

Edited by Concerned Bystander

I think so. The previous gen shows weren't as good as FiM, but I could only say the only actual flops were the MLP Tales, and Newborn Cuties. The first MLP show I feel is kinda generic 80s adventure show, many 80s shows were like that. Otherwise I think it's decent by the time. The G3 shows (sans the New Born Cuties), I think they had the standards straight, just a basic young girls show. Just enough fot the target audience to enjoy, and no need to make top quality if the only intention is sell toys. 

Yes, I think we are being too harsh on those shows (the good ones at least). Yeah, they're not FiM quality, which set their standards high, but they were decent, and we shouldn't bash their generations anyway, as without them = no FiM