What if Fluttershy was a mother?

Mr. Critical

This is a thought that I had while in school today. Mostly because it was so boring that I let my mind wander. So here is the thought. What if little Fluttershy was a single mother? Not suddenly in the middle of the series, what if she was one the first moment we met her. Like she had a little pegasus foal? What do you guys think? Would you like this alteration or keep her the way she is?

She'd probably be a good mother but for the sake of the series I don't think I'd want any of the mane 6 to have kids. That stuff needs to stay in fanfics.

• Brohoof 1

This is a hypothetical question. A separate universe entirely. Constance and variables and whatnot. Doesn't mean I think she is one secretly in the canon. It is just a thought I wanted to share with you and see what your feedback is.

Scootaloo is her foal. That is why we never see her parents, and why she has such difficulty flying. She was born out of wedlock after flutters had a one night stand with Big Mac. She had to give up scootaloo because she cannot afford to have a child.

And for real, I would not find it very enjoyable, as it would not add anything to the show other than needless weight.

• Brohoof 1

I think that would be a very serious topic for a kids show, though perhaps it might also be good for children to see single mothers in their media, to know that it isn't something shameful.

As for the story, obviously it would change things immensely. The whole group dynamic would change.

It would be an interesting turn in the series, it would certainly change things somewhat in how the show is now.

We're not even sure if Fluttershy is old enough to have a filly of her own. Oh! And I'm sure some may think Fluttershy would be a bad mother, just from how things were when she babysat the Cutie Mark Crusaders. But I think there's a pretty big difference between caring for a few fillies, and loving a filly of your own. ^^

That's just me though! ^^

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

Wel there are plenty of fnafictions with that idea. Some ranging from scootaloo to other adoptions. She kind and strict at the same time. i can see her being a mother. I mean the show never really going to ship the mane six it a TV-Y and those rating have standards.

She'd probably be a good mother but for the sake of the series I don't think I'd want any of the mane 6 to have kids. That stuff needs to stay in fanfics.

Unlike all the weird fics out there I don't find the ponies in MLP getting married odd or off at all since they had two wedding episodes so far, would make sense for main characters to get hitched at some point especially when the show has been stretched this far. I can imagine one or two of the mane six getting married, maybe Twilight at the end, and Applejack or someone very traditional midway. 

I can see that making way for very interesting stories for Fluttershy if that had happened. I think Fluttershy would've be much different in that case, being the wise big sister of the group instead of the shy one

I have mixed thoughts about this.

I think it'll be quite some time before any of the mane six besides Twilight find a husband, but if my mother was a member of the mane six, I'd prefer if I was born from Fluttershy. If she's an expert on taking care of animals, surely she can take excellent care of a baby.

I don't think it would have worked well, to be honest. Early in the series Fluttershy's defining trait was her shyness, to the point where she was barely able to talk to anyone. For her to have been a mother at that point would have made that characterization very difficult because she'd need lat least a little assertiveness to take care of a foal, no matter how caring she is. Aside from that, I think the focus on friendship works better this way, without the Mane 6 being distracted by children beyond younger siblings.

I don't think it would have worked well, to be honest. Early in the series Fluttershy's defining trait was her shyness, to the point where she was barely able to talk to anyone. For her to have been a mother at that point would have made that characterization very difficult because she'd need lat least a little assertiveness to take care of a foal, no matter how caring she is. Aside from that, I think the focus on friendship works better this way, without the Mane 6 being distracted by children beyond younger siblings.

True. As I've mentioned, Flutters would've been very different had she been a single mother. While she's presumably the oldest out of the Mane6, that'll probably make her even older, and that's a great position to being the voice of reason, and the wise one of the group. still, that would've made episodes about her not being able to rely on her younger and less mature friends