Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls is no longer canon!

Forlong

Honestly, I'm not gonna get involved in the whole debate whatever or not Equestria Girls is canon to FiM because I just don't really freaking care. Equestria Girls is a cynical cash grab that I want to pretend that doesn't exist.:dry:

Let me love my Faust's cute ponies for being cute ponies, okay?:(

• Brohoof 1

23 minutes ago, JMTV99 said:

Honestly, I'm not gonna get involved in the whole debate whatever or not Equestria Girls is canon to FiM because I just don't really freaking care. Equestria Girls is a cynical cash grab that I want to pretend that doesn't exist.:dry:

Let me love my Faust's cute ponies for being cute ponies, okay?:(

That's an interesting take, are you saying that Faust's cute ponies aren't a cash grab? 'Cause it's all still a toy commercial at the end of the day.

Also "cynical" is quite subjective. Cynical on part of Hasbro higher ups? For sure, but again, same can be said about the creation of FiM. Cynical on part of the artists working on EqG? Do you really think they didn't care?

I realise I sound accusatory here but I am genuinely curious where you coming from with this.

Edited by TransPirate
  • Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, TransPirate said:

That's an interesting take, are you saying that Faust's cute ponies aren't a cash grab? 'Cause it's all still a toy commercial at the end of the day.

No. MLP may be a toy commercial, but Faust's version was much more than that. It was a show that look and feels like a cartoon rather than being a toy commercial. It had character, story, humor, and depth. Everything I love about a cartoon. Plus, I love seeing cute ponies just having fun, going on adventures, conflict, and just being themselves.

2 minutes ago, TransPirate said:

Also "cynical" is quite subjective. Cynical on part of Hasbro higher ups? For sure, but again, same can be said about the creation of FiM. Cynical on part of the artists working on EqG? Do you really think they didn't care?

I'm not going to pin the blame on the artists working on EQG because they are just simply doing their jobs. I was more pointing out the cynicism of the Hasbro higher ups for making this decision in the first place.

• Brohoof 1

@StormyVenture First before I actually refute your arguments, I need to establish a foundation for what we are discussing. So, I believe that when you say "canon", you are referring to this definition (correct me if I'm wrong):

"A general law, rule, principle, or criterion by which something is judged." - CANON English Definition and Meaning | Lexico.com

That is the definition of canon, and I say that it is an objective definition. On the other hand, what I am saying in my arguments is that the definition of canon is subjective when it comes down to what that law, rule, principle, or criterion is. For example, I think that EQG and FiM aren't parts of the same canon because they are notably different from each other, while you think that EQG and FiM are canon because the writers say so. We both disagree with each other, so who is right about what is the law, rule, principle, or criterion that determines what is canon? What about those who say that EQG and FiM are canon because both have references to each other, or those who say that they aren't canon because of the discrepancies between the two shows? My point is, many definitions of what is canon conflict with each other, leading to many people disagreeing on a general law, rule, principle, or criterion to determine what is canon; furthermore, no one in authoritative positions, such as FiM and/or EQG writers, have stated a clear definition of canon. Therefore, canon, in this instance, is subjective. Perhaps I misstated it when I said that canon is subjective though, because at times it can be objective, but in instances such as determining what is the canon of a particular movie or show, it is usually subjective. With that said, I'll go on to refute your arguments.

On 2021-08-12 at 9:51 PM, StormyVenture said:

It would be best to avoid picking nits.

Everybody understands that Hasbro is a company and that companies have employees, but at the same time we all understand, I think, that when we say "Hasbro" we are talking about a single entity/mouthpiece. In general the employees are not the company and the CEO may not be either. Ultimately someone holds the real authority though. It might be their board of directors, I don't know.

You don't know who holds the real authority at Hasbro on what is canon because no one holds that authority as there is no such thing as canon in Hasbro. There is not a measurement at Hasbro that determines what is canon because Hasbro writers create many discrepancies as they are all different and different writers come in all the time. A writer, voice actress, or even the CEO of Hasbro may Tweet that something is canon, but that's just their opinion -  it's their take on the matter at hand, such as a fandom argument over whether or not to ship Sparity.

Nevertheless what is important here is that the owner of the intellectual property gets to decide what's canon for MLP:FiM and their answer is definitive and final. Whatever any of the rest of us have to say is "head-canon" or "fanon".

You are looking at things from a legal perspective, and legality has nothing to do with what is canon when it comes to a movie or show.

If you assert that there is no official source of canon then all of this is just a bunch of bickering, because nothing is canon.

As I stated above, canon is objective sometimes, but on matters like these it is subjective.

59 minutes ago, JMTV99 said:

No. MLP may be a toy commercial, but Faust's version was much more than that.

Lauren's primary concern may not have been to sell toys, but MLP belongs to Hasbro, not Lauren Faust, and you can bet that Hasbro were very much thinking about selling toys.  However, it doesn't have to be either one or the other, the two are not mutually exclusive.  Something can be both a toy commercial and a good cartoon. 

• Brohoof 1

Moments ago, Concerned Bystander said:

Lauren's primary concern may not have been to sell toys, but MLP belongs to Hasbro, not Lauren Faust, and you can bet that Hasbro were very much thinking about selling toys.  However, it doesn't have to be either one or the other, the two are not mutually exclusive.  Something can be both a toy commercial and a good cartoon. 

Okay, that's a fair point.;)

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
On 2021-08-20 at 3:58 PM, JMTV99 said:

No. MLP may be a toy commercial, but Faust's version was much more than that.

Who cares about Faust's version? Faust was only with the show for the first two seasons. The show lasted for nine seasons. Let's not give Faust all of the credit.

1 hour ago, LonelyYugi said:

Who cares about Faust's version? Faust was only with the show for the first two seasons. The show lasted for nine seasons. Let's not give Faust all of the credit.

Well, my opinion has changed a lot since I made that post and I do realized and understand the show was more than Faust's vision and I'm not gonna give Faust all the credit anymore. Even though I'm not a big fan of the direction going on in this show(but that's just me), but I decided to let that whole thing go.

Edited by JMTV99

• 2 months later...

I don’t need FIM’s finale showing a Sunset Shimmer cameo, nor mentioning EQG at all while the latter does to know it’s canon. Canon has a definition, and it’s not up to debate, nor interpretation. EG can be ignored altogether, but that doesn’t change the definition, nor it’s status as canon >_>

• 2 months later...

that the last time Twilight visited the crystal empire was when she saved it is false, since the last time she visited the empire before becoming an alicorn was in chapter 12 of season 3 called Games ponies play

• 10 months later...