Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

College Bronies, how is College?

CosmicHooves

(edited)

I'm only in 10th grade.

Next year I'll be a Junior.

This question just popped into my head.

I'm asking this to only the Bronies who have been or are still in college.

So I'm just curious...

Is college hard?

Do you have lots of free time when you're not in college?

How much homework do you even get in college?

post-25645-0-41558000-1401586547_thumb.jpg

Edited by Emerald Starlight
  • Brohoof 2

Well im at university, I'm not sure if its exactly the same as college in America (i assume that's where youre from)but for me ive just finished my second year, and really its as hard as you make it, pretty much all studying is down to you, if you wanna miss a lecture youre free to, and its up to you to catch up if you want to, other than that living away from home is probably my favourite thing about life as a whole XD its awesome living with my friends staying up until 4am just chatting, drinking, or having a jam session. Id say its been the best 2 years of my life so far without a moments hesitation ^_^

Is college hard?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

1. No, not really. My professors have been very lenient with deadlines and grading policies are reasonable. They also provide help when I need it, which is a good thing because I am disabled in that my right arm is next to useless and I have asperger's syndrome.

2. Yes I do. I've yet to learn how to manage it effectively.

3. Not a whole lot... although there was this one professor, whom I will identify as Tim, who gave hours upon hours of homework due before each test, which he called "table assignments." I usually had to stay up wicked late at night to finish those things.

• Brohoof 2

Is college hard?

To put it simply, no. But your experience will vary based on the degree you're seeking, your school, your abilities, as well as your study habits.

Yes. A "full load" of classes is only about 12 hours of class time a week. It is recommended that for every hour of class you have, you spend an hour and a half studying on your own time. This equates to about 30 hours a week. In high school, class time takes up 35 hours a week on its own.

How much free time you have depends on how much you're willing to study, how many classes you're willing to take, and the additional factor of any extracurricular activities that may interest you. If you want free time, you'll be able to have it. If you think you have too much free time, you'll be able to keep yourself busy, too.

That depends on your school. Some schools like to assign lots of homework, but others grade entirely on tests. In general, you have less homework than in high school. However, the work you have is harder, and more will be expected of you. For example, instead of doing 30 math problems, you may only be expected to do one or two, but the problems will challenge you and your professor will grade harshly.

• Brohoof 2

Is college hard?  It depends on the subject.  It's challenging, I'll say that much.  I was in AP classes in high school, and I struggled with some of my college classes, arrogantly thinking that they'd be a breeze.  Listen to the teacher, take good notes, don't be afraid to ask for help or get tutoring.

Do you have lots of free time when you're not in college? Dyou mean if you decide not to go to college?  Yeah, I guess.  lol.  

How much homework do you even get in college? Depends on the teacher.  Most of my teachers gave a few hours of homework a night.  Some only gave a few essays throughout the year.  High school essays are not what I mean, they pretty much want a short book from you in college for an essay.   :okiedokielokie: 

College has been alright so far. My professors have been fairly lenient on timescales, and grading is very upfront (unlike my highschool that kept everything behind closed doors). Classes move at a far faster pace than highschool classes, but the teachers are for the most part a lot better, and as long as you keep up with most lectures and notes you breeze right along. Finals may be stressful, leading some to the ever popular late night/early morning cram, but you'll mostly get those in your later years in college, the first 2 or so years are very helpful, teach you a lot about time management, and allow for quite a bit of free time if you know how to schedule.

I'd rate it much higher than highschool, as it's focus is purely academic, and does away with a lot of the social drama and guff that highschool is known for.

• Brohoof 1

College has been alright so far. My professors have been fairly lenient on timescales, and grading is very upfront (unlike my highschool that kept everything behind closed doors). Classes move at a far faster pace than highschool classes, but the teachers are for the most part a lot better, and as long as you keep up with most lectures and notes you breeze right along. Finals may be stressful, leading some to the ever popular late night/early morning cram, but you'll mostly get those in your later years in college, the first 2 or so years are very helpful, teach you a lot about time management, and allow for quite a bit of free time if you know how to schedule.

I'd rate it much higher than highschool, as it's focus is purely academic, and does away with a lot of the social drama and guff that highschool is known for.

I agree with Miaq on this.

OT: I pretty much went through the same thing. Ali can tell u is Emerald is focus and study hard bc Professors only teach u 30% and the remaining 70% u have to do on ur own. If I may ask, what career do u plan on going into?

(edited)

I'm only in 10th grade.

So I'm just curious...

Is college hard?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Personally, I've enjoyed College alot more than High school as I feel your average college teacher is much more competent than an average high school teacher, lessons are generally done at your discretion and are alot more lenient than what High School would allow. Finals can get stressful still. There's homework still but they're also pretty lenient at when you can turn in your homework too.

It also helps your average college student is many many times more mature than a high school student so it's in a lot more friendlier environment too.

Edited by Nuke87654

I'm only in 10th grade.

So I'm just curious...

Is college hard?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It's as easy or hard as you want it to be.

You have as much or as little free time as your chosen major will determine.

Depends on your major.

Bottom line: If you want to be a goddamn chemical engineer astronaut, you will spend the next 4 or 5 years sucking on the ragged vocal chords of a miserable, painful, competitive field that *might* grant you the skills to be a genuine hero and/or millionaire.  Alternately, you could be an English major and (unless you're in the 0.02% who become successful novelists) you can work retail or as a high school teacher for the next 20 years trying to pay back your tuition loans.

That's just my opinion, though.  I'm the asshole who got a degree in one field, then landed a job in a totally different field, and skipped around, getting a six figure job while avoiding any student debt whatsoever.  It can be done if you're smart and aggressive; it doesn't require you to compromise your principles, either.  Just keep your eyes peeled.

As a student of mechanical engineering, don't choose your major based on how easy or hard it is. Choose it based on how interesting it sounds. If you like what you're learning, you'll be willing to put in the hours you need to get the grade. It won't seem like work to you, unless you're doing something that you don't enjoy.

• Brohoof 4

Its not that hard. As long as you study of course.

I miss not doing anything in class and just chilling out all day in the back :/

Especially going to school for free XD

(edited)

As a student of mechanical engineering, don't choose your major based on how easy or hard it is. Choose it based on how interesting it sounds. If you like what you're learning, you'll be willing to put in the hours you need to get the grade. It won't seem like work to you, unless you're doing something that you don't enjoy.

This, so much this. I was interested in networking before I went to college, like how routers work and stuff like that, and when I took my first networking class, Cisco I, I ended up really enjoying it even though I didn't begin exploring the hardware or setting up networks until the next few classes.

Edited by Daring

(edited)

The amount of work really depends on the course. Journalism was ridiculously easy and the course load was pretty low. Software Engineering... Oh boy.

It's not so much that we get lots of homework, we hardly get any in fact. It's our responsibility to ensure that we understand the content. We get loads and loads of projects instead! For the last half of my second semester, I didn't have a life. That's how many big projects were released at one time. The worst part was that they didn't stop right until the Sunday before exam week started. There was also one class that was so difficult for half the class that they gathered at midnight the night before it was due and pooled their knowledge to get it done.

I don't mean to scare you, but time management can be pretty darn important. One thing I do to keep things in line is carry a notebook in my pocket containing my personal deadlines/milestones and the hard deadlines.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

I just finished my Associates of Science and am planning (hopefully) to transfer.

If you do not take any AP classes, high school will do jackshit to help you prepare for college. This is somewhat of a universal truth, unfortunately. To be honest, high school in general did little to prepare me. 

It's funny really. I sorta wish that during your Senior/Junior year, the focus of college would be a topic of greater discussion rather than simply "Don't fuck up your ACT" and "Apply before Christmas" that it is in the states.

OT:

Difficulty and homework size depends. For example, my Social Psychology class consisted of 4 homework assignments, 2 papers, and 4 exams. That's it. That is your grade. You mess up one of those, and your grade will reflect it. My CIS class, however, consisted of 15 labs, 12 assignments, and 12 quizzes. There, you obviously had some leeway. 

Some classes will be simple and straight forward. Some will be a total pain to deal with (looking at you Biology). It all depends on who you are and what you find interesting. Understanding why people are asses in situations? Ok, cool. Studying ciliated cells? Meh city.

College isn't high school, I can tell you that much. Basically, you get the choice between a social life and your GPA, and the latter requires you to work your butt off to maintain. Just remember one thing, even if you know what you want to do with your life, you still might end up changing your major at least once. In the summer, it's best to intern (preferably paid, but most likely volunteering) at a place related to your major. Simultaneously, it's a good idea to get a summer job to pay for books and other *things* while in the school seasons.

(edited)

High school was hell, both academically and socially.

College is only hell academically.

What I would advise? Know your limits. Find them quickly, or you will regret it for the rest of your college career. What do I mean by this?

It's not just a matter of taking classes you know you can handle, but you need to know how they interact with your lifestyle and how they may potentially interact with each other. For example, this past semester I took a biochemistry class, a medicinal chemistry class, and a special biochem lab. On their own, no problem. Together, however, it was a nightmare to manage the three different partners I was paired with for each class for the semester long projects, as well as not being able to work two evenings of the week on schoolwork, due to my place in a WoW 10 man raiding team.

You should work to figure out how much time you can reasonably allot to having fun and/or goofing off. I myself cannot work on a single thing for more than about 2 hours - I have to take a break and come back to it later or the next day. I make sure to make that time count, however - I was surprised by how slowly my partners worked compared to me. I budget my time around this fact, and haven't fucked it up badly in a while. Other people are different - they can work long, but they don't have the efficiency that I have, and that's fine, as long as the job gets done.

Edited by SirHandMan

Its hard at first because of the amount of freedom you have. its hard for a week or two to learn how to handle free time, classes and studying. but after awhile you will work out a system that works for you. the hardest parts i found were knowing the limits of what you can do in a day. i started last year and found that i could procrastinate till a day before and still do well. that's not a good trait because sometimes you need more time tan just a an afternoon. learn to budget both time and money.

also try to make friends, i spent a whole year on a campus with 30 thousand people and didn't make a single friend all year. it was really hard because you get lonely. join a club or student group that interests you. its a good way to meet people. don't just hope for a good roommate... there a lot of jerks who skip there classes to sleep in and then drink when they went to all there classes in a because they needed it, yeah right i go to all my classes and don't drink. yeah just be wary of random roommates. 

i find that you have some free time but unlike high school, there's a lot of information that you will need to find on your own in order to pass. so even tho you spend less time in the class room you still need to spend time studying and reading. i find that you must always pay attention in class because of the limited time you get. its not like high school where they spend three weeks on one subject. you need to  

You don't get homework per say, you might get an assignment here or there but its most studying or reading a text book. you get big papers and tests but there planned out so far ahead you can a plan a way to handle them when they approach. its not terribly hard unless you have subjects your bad at, which are harder but not impossible. talking to the professor or TA can be very helpful and there are probably resources in the library.  

college over all isn't super hard if you know what your doing, which hopefully you will have an idea of in the first month or so. being by yourself is a big adjustment and being home sick is ok, it happens to almost everyone. it may seem like a lot at first but it really isn't. you will find what you like and what you don't and soon you will be bored of it. its a big step when you can decide what you do and when. 

but don't thrust me, i just passed my first year of college and i cant even spell university correctly without spell check. it's a miracle i got in. if me a procrastinator with ADHD, anxiety and depression can pass then most people will. it may seem scary but it really isn't. you just need remember to cheer for the right football team.  :lol:  

High school was hell, both academically and socially.

College is only hell academically.

I very much agree with this, as well as the rest of your post. A big difference with college from high school social-wise is that people don't care as much about you having weird interests or just being weird, or if they do care it really doesn't matter cause they can't do anything about it. At least that was my experience, but I guess it does matter what college/university you go to, but I think generally people will be a lot more mature than in high school. 

Here's my experience:

Difficulty and amount of homework depends a lot on you, your classes, and your professors. Sometimes you breeze through things, sometimes it long nights and terrible struggles for weeks on end.

Unless you specifically take a light class load, you will probably have less free time than you do in High School. However, (assuming you live on your own), your free time is a lot more fun because you can literally do whatever the fuck you want.

• Brohoof 2

I feel that it is a LOT LOT better than what I had in High School... It's a lot more work, but because of the way I've chosen to take my classes there is a lot of time in the day to finish what I want to get done. The real beauty of it was really just being able to choose when you want your classes, that way you can plan out what you want your schedule to really look like so you have time for everything :D

By day, you pretend you're normal  You go to classes, clubs and activities, frats + sororities, ect.  You make friends with your dorm-mates.  You acquire many friends and become successful.  You DON'T SKIP LECTURE.

By night, you become Brony-man! a secret vigilante who sneaks on MLP forums!

1. I'm not going to lie - it's tough. It takes a lot of work to do well, and a reaosnable amount of work to pass.

2. Lots of free time, except when Asisgnment dealdines are nearing.

3. Homework? What homework?  An assignment or studying for exams, sure, but homework? Non existant.

• Brohoof 1

I'm only in 10th grade.

So I'm just curious...

Is college hard?

image.jpg

Depends on your major. An art major will have less difficulty than an engineering major.

Regarding time off: at first you look at your schedule and you realize you don't have school 35 hours a week. Again, depending on your major, you may have less lecture time, but a lot in homework to complete. That free time dwindles away.

And yet you might still have plenty of time left, which I recommend you should spend on extracurricular activities like clubs, sports (band!), or even informal classes!