Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Feminist Club!

Jennabun

I may be a dude on the inside AND out, but... GIRL POWER......I guess......

Oh my, I made this awkward....

Yup -- this is yet another way guys can get screwed over by living in a misogynistic society. A guy having long hair (at least in Western socieity) is often interpreted to be worse than a guy with short hair because long hair is arbitrarily deemed as something feminine (and therefore less respectable). People tend to devalue men with feminine qualities, even when it's something as insignificant as hair. Men with long hair often get called a slew of insults... some insults attack their masculinity (calling them "girly," "gay," etc.), some attacking their cleanliess ("dirty hippie," "hobo"), some attacking their ethics ("stoner," "pedophile"). It seems like, just like women can't want short hair without it being such a huge controversy, men can't want long hair either.

It's so strange to me, how some people are so threatened by men and women who dare to express their gender outside of some subjectively-set, narrow parameters. Like, why do people even care what people's hair looks like or what clothes they wear...? Isn't it exhausting getting offended by such pointless stuff all the time? XD

I dunno, I've seen some dudes who look totally badass with long hair.... Edited by Shenron00
  • Brohoof 1

I dunno, I've seen some dudes who look totally badass with long hair....

Totally, me too!

I mean, my main man crush since 6th grade has been Orlando Bloom as Legolas from Lord of the Rings, soooo... XD I am totally pro dudes with long hair. Like, a million percent.

I was merely saying that society as a whole doesn't seem on board with it, which sucks. :/

• Brohoof 2

Totally, me too!

I mean, my main man crush since 6th grade has been Orlando Bloom as Legolas from Lord of the Rings, soooo... XD I am totally pro dudes with long hair. Like, a million percent.

I was merely saying that society as a whole doesn't seem on board with it, which sucks. :/

My bad, I probably should've worded my post a bit more carefully. I knew what you meant, I was just disagreeing with the people who think dudes like me shouldn't have long hair (mine's semi-long though).

This popped up on my facebook newsfeed today and it made me happy! I love how it brings up an issue related to the media and girls' body image, and then presents an alternative design... it looks great. :)  I'd totally be down if the next Disney heroine was created with more realistic proportions in mind.

Disney Princesses With Realistic Waistlines Look Utterly Fabulous

Buzzfeed's Loryn Brantz decided to digitally edit six famous Disney ladies -- Ariel ("The Little Mermaid"), Pocahontas ("Pocahontas"), Jasmine ("Aladdin"), Belle ("Beauty and the Beast"), Aurora ("Sleeping Beauty") and Elsa ("Frozen") -- to show what the cartoon heroines would look like if they had more realistic physical proportions. After all, since these characters are supposed to represent people in films made for children, they should probably look more like real people, right?

"As a woman who loves Disney and has dealt with body image issues, it has been something I've always wanted to comment on, particularly after seeing 'Frozen,'" Brantz told The Huffington Post in an email Thursday. "While I loved the film, I was horrified that the main female character designs haven't changed since the '60s. The animation industry is historically male dominated, and I think that contributes to how these designs became so extreme in their proportions — their necks are almost always bigger than their waists!"

Read more.

Edited by Jennabun
  • Brohoof 3

This popped up on my facebook newsfeed today and it made me happy! I love how it brings up an issue related to the media and girls' body image, and then presents an alternative design... it looks great. :)  I'd totally be down if the next Disney heroine was created with more realistic proportions in mind.

Disney Princesses With Realistic Waistlines Look Utterly Fabulous

Buzzfeed's Loryn Brantz decided to digitally edit six famous Disney ladies -- Ariel ("The Little Mermaid"), Pocahontas ("Pocahontas"), Jasmine ("Aladdin"), Belle ("Beauty and the Beast"), Aurora ("Sleeping Beauty") and Elsa ("Frozen") -- to show what the cartoon heroines would look like if they had more realistic physical proportions. After all, since these characters are supposed to represent people in films made for children, they should probably look more like real people, right?

"As a woman who loves Disney and has dealt with body image issues, it has been something I've always wanted to comment on, particularly after seeing 'Frozen,'" Brantz told The Huffington Post in an email Thursday. "While I loved the film, I was horrified that the main female character designs haven't changed since the '60s. The animation industry is historically male dominated, and I think that contributes to how these designs became so extreme in their proportions — their necks are almost always bigger than their waists!"

Read more.

Wow, thank you for sharing that! :)

It's true, as a kid you never realize this, so to see it brought to attention is a good thing. While the intentions are innocent enough, it would be good if details like these are considered so as to bring about a change in the image of women.

This is a great thread! (and that picture is awesome)

Swedel recently had an election and the feminist party F! just barely didn't make it :c

They got into the EU parliament though, which is pretty cool.

I hope this thread keeps on going!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So after hearing for so long about the bane of gamers everywhere: Anita Sarkeesian, I've finally decided to sit down and watch her videos.

I am so far incredibly underwhelmed. It's a pretty reasonable critique of some recurring tropes in video games. I'm expecting her to demand a boycott of all games that don't conform her to strict views, and all she's saying is that it's possible to enjoy these games while being of aware of these recurring tropes.

This is supposed to be the woman who armed only with a Kickstarter and a YouTube channel has brought a multi billion dollar industry to it's knees and is forcing her man hating feminazi propaganda on all games everywhere.

Wow, what are the odds that all this internet uproar is a bunch of mountain out of a molehill BS. *proceeds to roll eyes till it starts hurting a little*

OMG, she's talked about several games that I'm a big fan of! Why is my blood not boiling? Where is my righteous indignation? Why do the thing she's saying about these games seem so completely reasonable? There must be something wrong with me. I need to practice my gamer rage about cooties on MAH GAMES!

• Brohoof 3

Here is a comedic video about the issue of cat calling:

I can definitely see why catcalling is an issue, and I would like to add more about the issue. I think that if women are considered people, they should also take responsibility for their own actions just as men do. And for the men's side of the issue to not look down on those who are much responsible. Women can abuse, assault, and catcall men, but we do not mention it because it degrades our image as feminists. The problem is that the only thing that degrades both genders is the fact we craft our image instead of being honest (even if it's brutal honesty). There are abusers that are able to get the help they need from support groups. I truly believe that the same kind of help should also be available to women who are abusers as well. It may seem like I'm getting off track, but I think that applies to any catcaller regardless of gender. That would be my comment on the video. 

"Social" means sociopolitical issues such as sexism, racism, homophobia, etc.... alright, makes sense.

"Justice" means fairness and equality.... seems pretty legit.

"Warrior" means someone who fights passionately for something.... sweet!

Put it together, and that means somebody who calls me a SJW is describing me as someone who fights passionately for the fairness and equality of all genders, races, sexual orientations, etc. Okay............. and this is a bad thing because..............? XD

I agree with you.  This whole "Social Justice Warrior" thing is bizarre.  It was only quite recently that I saw this term being used, and I was surprised that it was meant to be a negative thing.  Like the term "feminist," I see it as a good thing to be.

I saw this on Facebook today:

puritans%2Bsocial%2Bjustice%2Bwarriors%2

I find it very disappointing that people think of fighting for social justice as something to mock these days.

:(

• Brohoof 1

I agree with you.  This whole "Social Justice Warrior" thing is bizarre.  It was only quite recently that I saw this term being used, and I was surprised that it was meant to be a negative thing.  Like the term "feminist," I see it as a good thing to be.

I saw this on Facebook today:

img-3366693-1-puritans+social+justice+wa

I find it very disappointing that people think of fighting for social justice as something to mock these days.

:(

Same here, I find that some people just mock and blame us for no reason and or discredit us the moment we say we are Feminists

• Brohoof 1

Same here, I find that some people just mock and blame us for no reason and or discredit us the moment we say we are Feminists

The consensus on the internet seems to be that feminists hate men, and blame all the world's problems on men, want women to have more rights than men, and want to have all depictions of sexy ladies be banned.

Whoever is in charge of PR for the vast feminist conspiracy needs to be fired :P

• Brohoof 1

- When and why did you become a feminist?
I became a feminist when I was a small child. My aunt worked to help kids in poverty, and I felt like I needed to help out too, so I decided to become a feminist. I lost it later on, when I thought feminists were about dominance, but soon regained it when I realized that most of them just wanted equality.

- Why do you think feminism is still relevant to today's world?

It's about equality, and equality can apply to both (or more) genders. Women shouldn't have to wear bras if men don't have to. Men shouldn't have to do heavy lifting if women don't have to. It's the small things like that that make a big difference.

- What is difficult about being a feminist in general?

"FUCK YOU YOU WANT THEM FEMALES TO BECOME GOD AND KILL ALL MEN AND #DEATHTOMALES AND SHIZZLE"

- How do you think feminism gets treated in the MLP fandom?

Quite well. This thread is proof of it.

- How does MLP support your feminist values?

I can watch the show, which breaks the borders between male and female.

- How do people react when you say you're a feminist?
"FUCK YOU YOU WANT THEM FEMALES TO BECOME GOD AND KILL ALL MEN AND #DEATHTOMALES AND SHIZZLE"

- What is awesome about being a feminist?

It's not just a social idea that you can fight for, it's also a definition.

- How has feminism affected you personally?

It's given me something to fight for. Also, lots of people speak in capslock when I bring it up.

Thank you for using "affected" correctly.

• Brohoof 1

As previously stated in this thread by @SCS

This topic is specifically for feminists (or feminist supporters) to discuss feminism in a positive way. If you don't fit that description, that's fine, but this topic isn't for you. Go to the debate topic.

Failure to abide by this will result in being banned from this topic permanently with the possibility of more serious action being taken in regard to your account and access to the site as a whole.

Remember to have respect for others and keep in mind how what you have to say might impact them. 

Thank you.

• Brohoof 4

This topic is specifically for feminists (or feminist supporters) to discuss feminism in a positive way. If you don't fit that description, that's fine, but this topic isn't for you. Go to the debate topic.

I was wondering about that.  Thanks for the post.

I feel that I said something here in an entirely wrong way.

That is entirely my fault for posting it before looking over it first. I don't know if something I said hurt anyone's feelings or impacted them in a negative light but if they did then I'm sorry. You don't have to forgive me. That is entirely up to you.

Either way, Keep up the good fight and have a lot better day than I.

I feel that I said something here in an entirely wrong way.

That is entirely my fault for posting it before looking over it first. I don't know if something I said hurt anyone's feelings or impacted them in a negative light but if they did then I'm sorry. You don't have to forgive me. That is entirely up to you.

Either way, Keep up the good fight and have a lot better day than I.

I'm pretty sure no one's feelings were hurt. You were just derailing the thread into a debate, which has turned things in this thread to shit in the past.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi feminist clubbers! XD I became frustrated by something today, and I thought it would be worth bringing up here.

As me and my female friends approach the age of 25, I'm starting to realize that tons of people think a woman's choice to have kids or not is literally everyone's business. It's really weird. It's like, as soon as a woman gets to a certain age, EVERYONE, even people who don't know you very well, think it's appropriate to ask, "So are you going to have kids soon?"

I know people usually mean well when they ask these things, but it feels so strange and off-putting to me, no matter how well-meaning the people are. It's like... when you ask that to a woman, you are asking her to divulge something intimate. You're asking her a loaded question filled with assumptions about her romantic preferences, the state of her current relationship (if she's even in one), the state of her sex life, the state of her health, and tons of other personal stuff. Like... do people not realize how weird that is? I think it's pretty inappropriate that random people think it's acceptable to bring it up during polite conversation.

Plus, is that really the most interesting thing people can ask a woman? I've heard many women express frustration about how people constantly ask them about when they're going to get married and have kids, yet the same people act totally uninterested when women want to talk about their careers, education, or other accomplishments. I think it says a lot about the way people view women. It's like people think that none of your accomplishments matter if you don't manage to also get married have kids by a certain age. This makes me sad. And mad.

The constant emphasis on having children can be really damaging for women in a lot of ways. For example, I read a blog today written by a woman my age who has been married for a year. She is constantly pestered by well-meaning relatives and friends about why she isn't pregnant yet. The truth is, she desperately wants to get pregnant, but found out she has a medical condition that makes it near to impossible. She is taking all these hormones to try to get fertile - she feels like crap and is putting herself through hell. Meanwhile, people just keep asking her and asking her, "Why aren't you pregnant yet!!??!" like it's something she is doing wrong. I mean, how painful would that be? I can only imagine how shitty she must feel on a daily basis.

I guess my point is: Women have tons of reasons for not having kids by some arbitrary deadline. Some women are infertile. Some women have medical conditions that would make producing children very painful and risky. Some women do not have enough money to have children. Some women do not have the time or resources to have children. Some women aren't in stable relationships and therefore do not want children. Some women want to wait until they are older to have children. Aaaand some women simply do not WANT children at all! All of these reasons are completely valid.

I hope that, as feminists, we can try to remind ourselves that babies are not a woman's sole purpose for existing. Also it's important to realize that a woman's decision to get pregnant or not is really nobody's business besides her's and her partner's. Juuuust putting that out there! ~~~

• Brohoof 4