Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Feminist Club!

Jennabun

I support feminism, even though i am a man. It also infuriates me to see some women treated like crap in some places (like the east).
I think that the reason why many people assume that you must be a radical feminist if you call yourself a feminist, is because of the fact that people tend to focus more on the bad parts of something than the good parts. There are more non-radical feminists in the world than radical ones, but unfortunately, people are more likely to remember or pay attention to encounters that they had with the radical feminists than the non-radicals, and therefore just tend to assume that ALL feminists are that way. So basically, the smaller amount of radicals make the larger amount of non-radicals look bad.
Unfortunately, radicals obviously do exist, and there are some at my school who bully me simply because i am a man, and assume that i am some kind of rapist pervert who thinks about nothing but sex all day, and constantly throw insults at me, despite how nice i try to be to them :/
Shows how hypocritical they are.
But, alas, i do not let such happenings distort my views on feminists in general.

• Brohoof 4

@@Jennabun, What's Patrick holding on his other hand? A supermarket bag? Uhmmm when and how did this picture get taken? I sooooooo hope it's not just fixed.

It's legit.

I guess since forever? lol. I consider myself a feminist because I just don't believe in the gender roles and stereotypes that are so pervasive and ingrained to our society. I have an interest in a lot of feminine things, and, as a male, that really sets you against the world it seems. I also have a lot of transgendered friends who face a lot of issues everyday based on societal gender roles as well.

It's hella relevant, not just for women's rights like abortion, glass ceiling, etc, but I believe it also applies to trans rights.

I feel all this <3 Especially the trans stuff. Trans issues are close to my heart and I feel like contemporary feminism has really done well in educating people about transgender rights. One of my favorite transgender/feminist activists right now is Laverne Cox. She's so talented as an actress and also does so much to educate the public about trans issues and women's issues - I just love her. I like a lot of what she says in this interview about feminism and how she relates to it as a trans woman and a woman of color.

img-2986980-1-2zptaoi.jpg

If anyone can also point me out to incidents where feminism has done something for men. I want legitimate sources to keep for future reference.

A quick google search promptly gave me much reading material on this matter. Try reading this, this, or this. If these don't suffice, there's much more out there.

• Brohoof 2

Oh, I don't how I forgot about this one: Sailor Moon!

I love this show because it shows middle school girls and some typical worries they have, but it also shows the girls as having great power. It's pretty similar to Powerpuff Girls in the sense that the majority of the characters are pretty feminine, but their femininity is seen as strength rather than a weakness. Sailor Moon also scores some extra points with me because (in the uncensored version, at least) there is LGBT+ representation and a little bit more gender variance and breaking of gender roles (a couple of the characters are on the more masculine/tomboy side, showing the many ways to be a girl!). I like this review of Sailor Moon's feminist themes a lot.

img-2965416-1-2cfyznt.gif

img-2965416-2-a09jlg.gif

Some other shows that I think are feminist-friendly besides MLP, PPG, and Sailor Moon (I'll mark the ones which are cartoons with a star - unfortunately I don't know a whole lot - but I know of some good non-cartoon ones):

Once Upon a Time

Avatar The Last Airbender* (haven't personally watched it, but I've heard wonderful things!)

Parks and Recreation

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Mad Men

Daria*

Orange is the New Black

The Mindy Project

Nashville

Oh, and to backtrack a little bit - while talking about Powerpuff Girls, I found this PPG/pony crossover art and I just had to share:

img-2965416-3-292sodx.png

((inner demons blocked)) I'd love to see you say that about sailor moon when you hear about the thousands of boys... You know.

What i liked was at One Piece where there was a person who could change genders as a devil fruit power. He had some kind of hormones powers. Real funny stuff! Possibly reference to trans people? Girl pirates are awesome btw.

On that note there was a Japanese/Chinese prostitute pirate leader who had a huuuuge fleet ((someone link that)) i found that AWESOME.

It's legit.

I feel all this <3 Especially the trans stuff. Trans issues are close to my heart and I feel like contemporary feminism has really done well in educating people about transgender rights. One of my favorite transgender/feminist activists right now is Laverne Cox. She's so talented as an actress and also does so much to educate the public about trans issues and women's issues - I just love her. I like a lot of what she says in this interview about feminism and how she relates to it as a trans woman and a woman of color.

img-2986980-1-2zptaoi.jpg

A quick google search promptly gave me much reading material on this matter. Try reading this, this, or this. If these don't suffice, there's much more out there.

The goodmen article is the only one that isn't written in a biased way for me. Use that on your future debates with men. They are more likely to believe such a thing rather than accept some sugar coated article written by a feminist.

Also about Patrick i am just wondering. Who made that plackat for him? Where did he have that photo? Was it a planned shooting or did someone quite possibly make it for him and he agreed to it? I mean it would be somewhat lame if they just found him in the street and said "Would you please hold this for me while we take a photo?" just saying.

Also about Patrick i am just wondering. Who made that plackat for him? Where did he have that photo? Was it a planned shooting or did someone quite possibly make it for him and he agreed to it? I mean it would be somewhat lame if they just found him in the street and said "Would you please hold this for me while we take a photo?" just saying.

He's a self-proclaimed advocate for women and girls. This is not hard information to figure out. He's spoken out about it all the time. Trust me, he wasn't like, tricked or manipulated into being a spokesman for Amensty International or taking pictures for their use. He's very open about this. Just look up some stuff about it.

Patrick Stewart speaking about how passionate he is about his activism against domestic violence & violence against women in general:

Here, he talks about many campaigns he's been a part of such as his work with Amnesty International, Refuge, The Million Man Pledge, etc.

• Brohoof 2

He's a self-proclaimed advocate for women and girls. This is not hard information to figure out. He's spoken out about it all the time. Trust me, he wasn't like, tricked or manipulated into being a spokesman for Amensty International or taking pictures for their use. He's very open about this. Just look up some stuff about it.

Patrick Stewart speaking about how passionate he is about his activism against domestic violence & violence against women in general:

Here, he talks about many campaigns he's been a part of such as his work with

, etc.
You misunderstand. I am not questioning the individual. I am just wondering who and for what purpose the photo was taken. Anyways...

Is there an advantage of Matriarchy vs Patriarchy or are both ultimately wrong?

I have seen that video before.  I was thinking about posting it myself.  I love Patrick Stewart.

• Brohoof 2

No, it's not :( But they started releasing episodes on Hulu! I also hear the reboot is streaming on some free video sites but I can't remember wherrrrre... I just broke down and bought the complete set of episodes on DVD from EBay XD it's a great show. It starts of with Usagi, aka Sailor Moon, being prett weak and whiny (she's an over-dramatic middle schooler lol) but she really does grow despite her flaws and insecurities. So even if you're turned off by whiny characters, I encourage you to keep watching - it improves a lot! I actually find Usagi's personality hilarious an I love it. :)

Sailor Moon is one of my favorite shows! Nooooo I hope the DVD set didn't cost you a lot. Hulu is streaming the complete original series including StarS, as well as Sailor Moon Crystal. Crystal is also on Crunchyroll, an anime streaming site. I never bought the DVDs because they were so expensive -- at least the official USA release ones, but not sure if you're in USA. The other sets tend to be cheap bootlegs with bad translations for the sub. I'm really pleased with the work on the new translation of the original series. I HIGHLY recommend it! It's also so much more feminist than I remembered as a kid. See the AMAZING speeches during the Jadeite fight, which I think some of your gifs were from!

• Brohoof 1

Sailor Moon is one of my favorite shows! Nooooo I hope the DVD set didn't cost you a lot. Hulu is streaming the complete original series including StarS, as well as Sailor Moon Crystal. Crystal is also on Crunchyroll, an anime streaming site. I never bought the DVDs because they were so expensive -- at least the official USA release ones, but not sure if you're in USA. The other sets tend to be cheap bootlegs with bad translations for the sub. I'm really pleased with the work on the new translation of the original series. I HIGHLY recommend it! It's also so much more feminist than I remembered as a kid. See the AMAZING speeches during the Jadeite fight, which I think some of your gifs were from!

Wait... Just so we dont confuse things. Does a show being feminist-friendly affect your tastes on it? What if it's primary purpose is not that? I really don't understand how feminism can affect your every aspect of life. How can feminism become the axis around which everything in your life revolves around?

Not saying that nessecarily is true for you... Its just a question. I jusf consider overthinking and overdedication on a single aspect of life by itself is unhealthy.

• Brohoof 3

Wait... Just so we dont confuse things. Does a show being feminist-friendly affect your tastes on it? What if it's primary purpose is not that? I really don't understand how feminism can affect your every aspect of life. How can feminism become the axis around which everything in your life revolves around?

Not saying that nessecarily is true for you... Its just a question. I jusf consider overthinking and overdedication on a single aspect of life by itself is unhealthy.

Being feminist doesnt affect your whole life but does some of it as its the treatment of inequality between men and women so it does have a big part to play however the line does get crossed when both extreme feminists or anti feminists get involved by anti I mean men or woemen who believe that women or men should be stood on and treated like trash. As I tell people im an equalist which is my way of saying km for all equality no matter who we are. Its what I call myself and believe this stupid im better than you crap needs an end. I hope this makes sence as im not the best as describing things. But unity is what I hope for and no more division of the people.

Edited by chaos rains
  • Brohoof 1

I consider myself a feminist, as I support the equality between men and women. However, the minority of the feminists who I consider to be extremists keep me from coming out and saying so. Not every little thing is offensive.

• Brohoof 4

I consider myself a feminist, as I support the equality between men and women. However, the minority of the feminists who I consider to be extremists keep me from coming out and saying so. Not every little thing is offensive.

dont close yourself off because of a stubborn few admit who you are and what you stand for and be proud as being a part of something like this is good. There maybe a bad bunch but look at all things this way there will always be few bad apples in the tree.

• Brohoof 1

being feminine doesnt affect your whole life but does some of it as its the treatment of inequality between men and women so it does have a big part to play however the line does get crossed when both extreme feminists or anti feminists get involved by anti I mean men or woemen who believe that women or men should be stood on and treated like trash. As I tell people im an equalist which is my way of saying km for all equality no matter who we are. Its what I call myself and believe this stupid im better than you crap needs an end. I hope this makes sence as im not the best as describing things. But unity is what I hope for and no more division of the people.

I was speaking about feminism nit being feminine.

You misunderstand... If you pick a show based on how feministic it is you are shutting yourself from other entertaining shows. Not all shows will show women fighting for themselves as its not in all fictional societies that women are stepped on.

Saying you want to watch feminist-friendly shows just because of that is like saying that you want to cheer yourself up or boost your confidence or hope for humanity through them. Its the least bit... Selfish. Sometimes delusional even... Because using your joyful escape to elude the real problems of your life is not healthy. I speak from experience.

Feminism is a real idea... One that deserves to be real in all it's forms and sincere.

Edited by NioniosTheRenegade
  • Brohoof 1

You misunderstand... If you pick a show based on how feministic it is you are shutting yourself from other entertaining shows. Not all shows will show women fighting for themselves as its not in all fictional societies that women are stepped on.

Saying you want to watch feminist-friendly shows just because of that is like saying that you want to cheer yourself up or boost your confidence or hope for humanity through them. Its the least bit... Selfish. Sometimes delusional even... Because using your joyful escape to elude the real problems of your life is not healthy. I speak from experience.

Feminism is a real idea... One that deserves to be real in all it's forms and sincere.

sorry I meant about being feminist I just used the wrong word I apologise. I meant about feminist ideas in my own opinion and said feminine that was dumb on my part. And again I apologise if it wasnt my best post im bad like I said at explaining my opinions and ideas I believe in. In words I can explain better but in massive bursts I get a little or lot confusing,

• Brohoof 1

As for me... I will watch most shows if they are good... It's most certainly a plus if said show supports feminist values and or has strong female characters; but if it doesn't I can certainly still enjoy it...

• Brohoof 1

I as a guy dont understand what women go through but im gunna support them and do what inwas brought up to do and thats value women as they should be and not be so vile about it.I despise any man who sees a good night or a meal and free house clesning or even who will walk all over women in every way they think they can. Same for women who do it to men. Theres no room for any discrimination of any kind in this world.

• Brohoof 1

I as a guy dont understand what women go through but im gunna support them and do what inwas brought up to do and thats value women as they should be and not be so vile about it.I despise any man who sees a good night or a meal and free house clesning or even who will walk all over women in every way they think they can. Same for women who do it to men. Theres no room for any discrimination of any kind in this world.

Know what? I perfectly agree with you. In fact i see myself often as a Knight in Shining Armor see what i did here... XD only i would choose Chrysalis over Cadence... Guess i am a masochist. Fml?

I digress... Anyways... But THIS...

THIS IS A WRONG WAY TO SAY THAT.

Support feminism properly... Don't use fallacies like this...

Or use emotional angst with falcified statistics to convince me. Leave theatrics and fancy rhetorics out of feminism. Act... Don't babble... Don't show off... ACT.

• Brohoof 2

I'm just going to throw this out there...

A wise person once told me that Feminism is about equality, not about making one gender better than the other. If that's true, then I'm a male who is proud to be a feminist. :D

I remember when I was younger, when things like Powerpuff Girls and Sailor Moon was on television. In those times, there was a huge "Girl Power" movement, and I was right there with them! Anyone who says women can't be strong or independent is a fool. I still get upset whenever I hear a news report about women being denied an equal salary in the work force just because of their gender.

Though I am a male, I've been trying all my life to better understand and appreciate females, their struggles, and their experiences. See, I have a dream of being a father, and I want to have a son and a daughter some day. But I don't want to be the kind of father that runs away and says "Go speak to your mother" when my daughter is having *girl problems*. What if my wife isn't there? What if there aren't any other females on hand? I want to be able to step up with complete knowledge of what to do. I want to be able to enjoy things like mani-pedi's with my daughter. The same thing goes with being a lover. I want to be the kind of person who is able to understand her needs, who can do things she didn't expect the average man would even think of. I know it's also a matter of getting to know the people you're with, everyone's different and unique, but doesn't weaken my resolve. I don't mind getting in touch with my sensitive side! No matter what, I always want to better myself. And I want to prove to the women in my life that not every man is predictable or useless or whatever. I can rise to the challenge and prove that I can be better.

Talk to me. I want to understand. :)

• Brohoof 7

I've always been a feminist.  But then again, I guess technically you could say I'm a masculinist as well.  You know what?  Just call me a humanist.  I just want equality for all.  I've never understood the need for all this flim flam in today's modern society.  It's ridiculously simple--just that old golden rule thing.  Treat others the way you'd like to be treated.  Blamo.  Done.  ...well...unless you're a masochist, then don't treat others the way you'd like to be treated.  Heh, that's a little joke.  Anyway, I've always hated sexism of any kind, so this thread gets my Official Seal of Approval.

Here's a fun bit of wordplay:  A feminist is an advocate for women's rights, so why isn't a racist an advocate for the rights of races?  A humanist is a person having a strong interest in or concern for human welfare, values, and dignity, so why isn't a sexist a person having strong interest in the welfare of the sexes?  If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?  That's English for you.

• Brohoof 4

Of course my taste is affected by whether a show is feminist-friendly. If it treats women like shit, why would I like it? -_-

• Brohoof 1

Of course my taste is affected by whether a show is feminist-friendly. If it treats women like shit, why would I like it? -_-

What if it just doesnt show that problem? You do realize that for a show to be feministic its got to show some stereotypes against women so that you have something to struggle against?

What if it has a male-focused cast or it just doesn't bother with this problem because in the show's universe females are already equal to males?

You would diss on a show just because the central conflict doesn't revolve around fighting stereotypes of gender roles?

• Brohoof 2

What if it just doesnt show that problem? You do realize that for a show to be feministic its got to show some stereotypes against women so that you have something to struggle against?

What if it has a male-focused cast or it just doesn't bother with this problem because in the show's universe females are already equal to males?

You would diss on a show just because the central conflict doesn't revolve around fighting stereotypes of gender roles?

I think you may a different concept of a show with feminine values than I do; which is okay...you're first example of a male centered show where "female issues" just don't come up would not be considered a pro feminist show; though I'd watch it if it were good! There a big difference between a show not being pro feminist and it being anti feminist... At least I certainly don't take a "you're either with us; or against us approach to feminism." Your second example sound wonderfully feminist though! Shows where females are already equal to men are definitely pro feminist and would be the type of show we've been talking about. Even though our examples like MLP and PPG have predominantly female casts; I firmly believe a show that treats all as equals would still be pro feminist; even if it had a predominately male cast... Just my two bits though...
  • Brohoof 4

The difference is showing, for example, violence against women in a problematic light. If the media depicts violence against women but also demonstrates how this is Not Okay, that's one thing. But if it glorifies it etc., then obviously that media is sexist crap. :)

I would also take issue with a show that ignores women, for example magically including no women in a main cast. -_- That's an issue because women need to be represented.

• Brohoof 3