Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Feminist Club!

Jennabun

A friend of mine posted this article today, about how a female cosplayer at Comic Con got assaulted. Apparently she was beaten to the point where she is now suffering from bleeding in her brain. I figured this is a feminist issue since the assault and/or harassment of female cosplayers seems to be a thing I keep hearing about. My friend that posted this article was assaulted at a convention herself.

From the article:

The assault has led to renewed calls in the cosplay community for a strict and more formal anti-harassment policy at the annual comic book and movie convention. Earlier this week, the group Geeks for CONsent presented a petition calling for a new policy, saying some women -- especially those who attend in costume -- report being being groped, harassed and insulted.

I've never been to a con, so I don't really know what it's like... I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter. How do you think female cosplayers are treated in general? Have you witnessed or personally experienced any issues with sexism in cosplay? Do you have any ideas about what the community could do to prevent these types of things from happening?

• Brohoof 1

@@Jennabun,

At least that story is collaborated with an article. There was a pretty infamous one that was obviously fake

tumblr_n9dvqxjHrK1shevnro1_500.jpg 

That aside, that sucks that it happened. I don't see how it's a feminist issue though. The people who do this stuff aren't empathic

• Brohoof 1

At least that story is collaborated with an article. There was a pretty infamous one that was obviously fake

I really don't like the trend of the brony community using that one infamous, false story as an excuse to ignore what seems to be a persisting issue of women getting harassed and assaulted. I see that happening all over the place - people come forward about the awful things that have happened to them at various conventions, and people are more likely to try to silence them instead of offer to help. It doesn't make sense, especially since it seems like lately I've seen plenty of evidence that shows that the harassment of female cosplayers is still a persisting problem. Not only does this article show truth to the matter, but as previous noted, I have a friend who was assaulted and raped at a convention. I have some other female friends who cosplay who always talk about how they get harassed and objectified too, sadly. It reminds me of this article, showing how women in costume get told really creepy things at conventions. Obviously verbal harassment or cat calls isn't as severe as physical assault or rape, but all these behaviors seem to be rooted in some sexist attitudes. That's why I see it as a feminist issue.

• Brohoof 2

I really don't like the trend of the brony community using that one infamous, false story as an excuse to ignore what seems to be a persisting issue of women getting harassed and assaulted

I wasn't using it as an excuse, I was just pointing out that I'm glad you offered proof

I see that happening all over the place - people come forward about the awful things that have happened to them at various conventions, and people are more likely to try to silence them instead of offer to help. It doesn't make sense, especially since it seems like lately I've seen plenty of evidence that shows that the harassment of female cosplayers is still a persisting problem. Not only does this article show truth to the matter, but as previous noted, I have a friend who was assaulted and raped at a convention. I have some other female friends who cosplay who always talk about how they get harassed and objectified too, sadly. It reminds me of this article, showing how women in costume get told really creepy things at conventions. Obviously verbal harassment or cat calls isn't as severe as physical assault or rape, but all these behaviors seem to be rooted in some sexist attitudes. That's why I see it as a feminist issue.

I fail to see how feminism would help. Like, if they are being denied stuff in court or not being taken seriously, I suppose it's helpful there, but as for actually stopping the root of the problem, I don't think it helps

The people who do this are assholes who won't listen to anybody. You could make the argument that they were conditioned to be this way, but if that's the case, focus on cutting them off before they turn out to be douches

I think posters like this are pretty sweet:

33mq5nd.jpg

Letting people know that there will be zero tolerance for harassment is an awesome stance to make. It lets creeps know they won't have anyone letting them get away with inappropriate behavior, and it lets the cosplayers know they have support if they feel harassed of objectified. It's something simple every convention could do to try and have a safer, more enjoyable environment for everyone.

• Brohoof 6

I was just directed to this thread and am ecstatic to learn of its existence! I have to go to sleep now but I will be reading through this thread tomorrow and will be adding to it as I can. I'd like to share a brief something I wrote earlier today on the subject of feminism in the Rarity Fan Club... I think that Rarity is a great role-model for the contemporary feminist and this quote helps explain why I feel that way...

That's one of the things I absolutely adore about Rarity and will bring up to outsiders when defending the series... As I understand it, Faust was told that one of the ponies "absolutely had to be obsessed fashion." So, rather than create a stereotypically one-dimensional character, she came up with Rarity; an independent, headstrong, self-reliant entrepreneur with her own business designing and creating her own fashion line... Or, as you put it; raising the bar in young girl's television and trying to help them see that if they put their mind to it; they can do whatever they want... And I love that! I don't mention it too often as it doesn't apply to our day to day talks; but I am most definitely a feminist (as in I believe all people should be treated the same regardless of gender; not that I think women are inherently better than men) and as a feminist; I love Rarity! I love the message that she sends to young girls about hard work and dedication... I think she is an excellent role model for people of all ages and genders (gender is NOT binary, sorry) as she incorporates many of the best traits both from traditional masculinity and tradition femininity; in short she is who she is and she does what she wants and does not allow her gender to determine anything she does... She is strong and independent, yet kind and caring. She is the epitome of what what a modern woman should be...

attachicon.gif

• Brohoof 3

A friend of mine posted this article today, about how a female cosplayer at Comic Con got assaulted. Apparently she was beaten to the point where she is now suffering from bleeding in her brain. I figured this is a feminist issue since the assault and/or harassment of female cosplayers seems to be a thing I keep hearing about. My friend that posted this article was assaulted at a convention herself.

From the article:

I've never been to a con, so I don't really know what it's like... I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter. How do you think female cosplayers are treated in general? Have you witnessed or personally experienced any issues with sexism in cosplay? Do you have any ideas about what the community could do to prevent these types of things from happening?

I've never been to a con, so idk personally the experience. Whether the people are good or bad or what.

I assume the reason people can be mistreated at a con, is because people can get a bit crazy I guess sometimes, and think they can do anything at a con. 

It is wrong for someone to have assaulted someone like that, whether male or female

Maybe the fact that the females are cosplayers and dressed up at characters makes the people at the cons forget they are actual people or something, i'm not really sure.

Honestly people assault others, as sad as it is, for no reason many times. Some people are just jerks. Maybe they were drunk, who knows. 

Besides having a sign or something saying that disrespecting and mistreating others is not tolerated or something, I don't know if there's much that can be done, some people will just be jerks regardless. 

I am also sorry to hear that your friend was assaulted, and about the other who was raped as well. I understand that makes this much more personal for you of an issue than it is for me, especially since I haven't known anyone personally who has been assaulted or raped(Not that I really know anyone that well that they would tell me such a thing, but still.)

But unfortunately, besides a sign maybe, I don't know if there's much else that can be done, I assume people who do that kind of thing are kicked out(If not, that should be a thing.) but some people will still do this kind of stuff.

Maybe the people weren't even interested in doing anything else but messing up the con.

Again, sorry to hear, but unfortunately, i don't have a ton of ideas that can really help the issue.

I was just directed to this thread and am ecstatic to learn of its existence! I have to go to sleep now but I will be reading through this thread tomorrow and will be adding to it as I can. I'd like to share a brief something I wrote earlier today on the subject of feminism in the Rarity Fan Club... I think that Rarity is a great role-model for the contemporary feminist and this quote helps explain why I feel that way...

I honestly just like the way the whole cast of the show is and how the show is with girls in general. It doesn't make girls into all of the stereotypical stuff all the time. Sure, the stereotypical stuff is sometimes present in amounts, but it's not like the girls in the show are zombies to it.

It gets rid of some of the stereotypical girl thing, and gender stereotypes, and while I'm not a girl, I don't like gender stereotypes in the first place, so I'm all for that.

• Brohoof 1

My friend often times goes to conventions, so here's what I've gathered from what he's told me.

Female cosplayers are often criticized for their outfits. Some have apparently been told that they're "asking for it" because of what they're wearing. Unfortunately, this is sometimes the appeal of going to a convention for some people. 

For what the community can do, I would say having some sort of message (if there's a list of panel times that everyone picks up, for example) that explains how intolerable harassment is, and people to contact if you are harassed. 

• Brohoof 1

@@Jennabun,

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I don't like Rarity, period. I just think she's kind of...bitchy for lack of better word. Kind of like how RD is arrogant. That, and Rarity's whining fits make me want to claw my ears out

The term 'bitch' is used to describe a female dog. Using the term in another way is offensive. Please do not use the term to describe a female character- especially one so strong. It doesn't matter if you like Rarity or not but using that term is not okay in my opinion. :maud:

• Brohoof 1

The term 'bitch' is used to describe a female dog. Using the term in another way is offensive. Please do not use the term to describe a female character- especially one so strong. It doesn't matter if you like Rarity or not but using that term is not okay in my opinion. :maud:

And the term bastard is used to describe someone born out of wedlock. I don't use bitch as a gender specific insult. Besides, according to the dictionary, bitch can also mean

"A difficult or unpleasant situation or thing"

And as for Rarity being a strong character, that's your opinion. I think she's well written, but not strong. 

TL; DR: It's not an issue

• Brohoof 2

And the term bastard is used to describe someone born out of wedlock. I don't use bitch as a gender specific insult. Besides, according to the dictionary, bitch can also mean

"A difficult or unpleasant situation or thing"

And as for Rarity being a strong character, that's your opinion. I think she's well written, but not strong.

TL; DR: It's not an issue

So the term fag is not offensive? Bitch is just as bad as word. Bitch is very much a gender specific term- even if you don't use it that way. But again, this thread is not a place to argue. I'm just telling you that I think it's offensive and should not be used in this thread.

@,

According to the dictionary, bitch is not gender specific. And thanks for your input, I'll surely put it to use  >_>

Sorry if I sound pissed off, but that's because I am. 

BTW, as for fag, it has only one definition in reference to a person, as such, I don't use it, it can only mean that. Unless you're calling someone a cigar or annoying task

@,

According to the dictionary, bitch is not gender specific. And thanks for your input, I'll surely put it to use >_>

Sorry if I sound pissed off, but that's because I am.

BTW, as for fag, it has only one definition in reference to a person, as such, I don't use it, it can only mean that. Unless you're calling someone a cigar or annoying task

I don't understand why you're angry when all I'm telling you is that the term offends me. But alright.

I don't understand why you're angry when all I'm telling you is that the term offends me. But alright.

Thank you for dropping the subject. If you want an explanation, I'll gladly tell you

• Brohoof 1

Thank you for dropping the subject. If you want an explanation, I'll gladly tell you

No thank you. This is not a place for debate.

• Brohoof 1

I always wonder what the average man with no resources or influence can do to help women who are mistreated by other men.

Talk to them. That usually works. Though that should really apply to anyone that's feeling bad

• Brohoof 1

It's not an issue

You can give all the background and/or evidence that you want to... but what you're forgetting is that there are not only hard-coded definitions, but in fact, there are unwritten rules and standards, and thus, calling Rarity a *B* is uncalled for.  You can have your opinion, don't get me wrong.  But don't be disrespectful to others by throwing negativity in a positive thread, please, and thank you...

But unfortunately, besides a sign maybe, I don't know if there's much else that can be done, I assume people who do that kind of thing are kicked out(If not, that should be a thing.) but some people will still do this kind of stuff.

I've never been to one of these before, but... I feel that there'd ought to be a higher amount of police officers/security guards at these things.  Especially now since there's even more reason for there to be.  

One thing that I've always been taught, whether it have been from school, Boy Scouts, Tae-Kwon-Do, or my parents... is that there is always more safety in numbers - as in, one is safer with a friend or in a group of friends, basically no matter where one is going.  Thus, it would be my advice to any and all that may plan on attending one of these events to always have a buddy (or buddies) - friends that can be there to help protect each other from harm.  Seriously, the biggest thing I remember from Scouts that can be applied anywhere in life is the Buddy System.

• Brohoof 2

You can give all the background and/or evidence that you want to... but what you're forgetting is that there are not only hard-coded definitions, but in fact, there are unwritten rules and standards, and thus, calling Rarity a *B* is uncalled for.  You can have your opinion, don't get me wrong.  But don't be disrespectful to others by throwing negativity in a positive thread, please, and thank you...

There has to be conflict of some sort, otherwise, this thread is just a circle jerk. I'm not trying to cause conflict, but I will say my piece in that I don't like Rarity. Calling her a bitch is the same to me as calling Nightmare Moon a petty brat, Trixie an arrogant prick, or calling RD an arrogant douche. 

There's no special rules that should be placed around the word bitch, it's just a word. Before someone brings up retard or faggot, I don't use those because

For retard: It's specifically calling out mentally disabled people as compared to bitch which I showed does not always mean women

For faggot: Same thing

There has to be conflict of some sort [...]

Heh, there... that's it - I've found your problem.

I'll just leave ^that^ there, and be on my way.  

e7ae2d65a6.jpg

Edited by Miles
  • Brohoof 1

@@Miles,

Your sarcastic and witty gif isn't loading.

And please don't take that out of context. You act as though i am causing trouble for kicks. God forbid I think differently and express it. Honestly, cool your jets 

Your sarcastic and witty gif isn't loading.

And please don't take that out of context. You act as though i am causing trouble for kicks. God forbid I think differently and express it. Honestly, cool your jets 

Hmmm... it's a jpg not a gif... so the question is, can you even see it?

I don't feel like it's too out of context, because I'm implying the context is "your thoughts on this thread" - and lol... I believe my responses have been calm and reasonable.

• Brohoof 1

Hmmm... it's a jpg not a gif... so the question is, can you even see it?

Nevermind, it loaded. It's less biting than I expected

I don't feel like it's too out of context, because I'm implying the context is "your thoughts on this thread" - and lol... I believe my responses have been calm and reasonable

When did I claim they weren't? And I might be transferring my feelings on the original complaint to you

Nevermind, it loaded. It's less biting than I expected

10-4.

When did I claim they weren't? And I might be transferring my feelings on the original complaint to you.

I do not feel obliged to say anything more than what I already have:

You can have your opinion, don't get me wrong.  But don't be disrespectful to others by throwing negativity in a positive thread, please, and thank you...

*click* "Over and out." *click*