Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Feminist Club!

Jennabun

Okay everybody in this thread please take a moment to read this post.The staff has discussed this thread, and we're faced with a pretty difficult situation. In the past few days, this thread has been home to arguments, troll posts, and tons of other problem comment. Normally, this thread would probably have been locked because it's devolved into arguments and frankly is causing the staff to have to spend way too much time babysitting it. But I want to keep this thread open. I really do.So here's what we're going to do... this thread is going to stay open, and stay out of the debate pit. It will remain open for the time being, and remain as a thread for pro-feminism discussion only. But the moderators can't do this alone. In order for this thread to remain open, we need the people who want to keep this thread alive to help.First of all, do not engage any problematic posts in discussion. Don't reply to them, and do not talk about those posts. Whether the post is an anti-feminist post, off-topic, or simply a post that's mean and making overly harsh comments about men, just leave it. Then I want you to hit the report button and let the staff know. If you can do this for us, then moderating this thread is as simple as deleting problem posts and addressing problems with individual users. If you continue to engage these people in discussion, however, we have to sort out which posts need to be deleted, and try and salvage the discussion which often has gone completely off topic.In short, if you see anything which might be a problem post, hit the report button and then ignore it. Hopefully we'll be able to keep this thread open, and keep it a peaceful discussion.

Thank you! I've had the thought of doing just that; but I wasn't sure it was appropriate if the post was only off topic. I'm grateful that you're keeping this open as I feel I've benefited and gained knowledge from it... I will fight in the way requested of me to keep it open.

• Brohoof 1

I have a inquiry here. Pretty sure this has been asked before, but reading almost 350 posts isn't exactly appealing. As a feminist, what do you want? I mean specifically? Why aren't you instead, a Egalitarian instead of Feminist? 

Hope I'm not stepping on toes here, I'm just curious. 

I just wanted to say thanks to you all for hanging in there with me during the crazy awkward troll weirdness that happened earlier, haha. You know what I think this thread needs right now? Some more awesome feminist ponies!!!

72vdir.png

[source]

mwulqa.png

[source]

4lhedw.jpg

[source]

I have a inquiry here. Pretty sure this has been asked before, but reading almost 350 posts isn't exactly appealing. As a feminist, what do you want? I mean specifically? Why aren't you instead, a Egalitarian instead of Feminist? 

Hope I'm not stepping on toes here, I'm just curious. 

I actually posted why I personally identify as a feminist instead of egalitarian just on the last page if you wanna look there :)

• Brohoof 4

Powerpuff Girls - I feel like I'm really happy that I grew up with such an awesome show with feminist themes.

Though of note, not all episodes gave positive feminist themes. There is Femme Fatale, a man hating straw feminist criminal that had convinced the PPGs not to help men and to let her go since she was a woman.

The Femme Fatale was defeated in the end but the episode involving her was a more negetive rendering of femenism because of her.

Edited by EquestrianScholar
  • Brohoof 1

Though of note, not all episodes gave positive feminist themes. There is Femme Fatale, a man hating straw feminist criminal that had convinced the PPGs not to help men and to let her go since she was a woman.

The Femme Fatale was defeated in the end but the episode involving her was a more negetive rendering of femenism because of her.

I'm not 100% positive about this, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that episode was pointing out the flaws in radical feminism and why it's bad. Although, I understand how someone may misinterpret that and think all feminists are bad. Again, I may be wrong, but that's pretty much what I got from the episode

Edited by Sir Fluffernutter
  • Brohoof 4

I'm not 100% positive about this, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that episode was pointing out the flaws in radical feminism and why it's bad. Although, I understand how someone may misinterpret that and think all feminists are bad. Again, I may be wrong, but that's pretty much what I got from the episode

The main issue with that whether or not a clear distinction is made between radical and non-radical feminism. Perhaps adults could figure that out... but could a child?

The uncertainty is still there on whether or not the episode sends out a positive message of feminism. Lauren Faust has even confirmed that this episode was an old shame, that she regretted writing the episode, of hers as she wasn't sure if the show was the proper way to teach feminism.

Edited by EquestrianScholar
  • Brohoof 2

The main issue with that whether or not a clear distinction is made between radical and non-radical feminism. Perhaps adults could figure that out... but could a child?

The uncertainty is still there on whether or not the episode sends out a positive message of feminism. Lauren Faust has even confirmed that this episode was an old shame, that she regretted writing the episode, of hers as she wasn't sure if the show was the proper way to teach feminism.

I dunno but you could view it as a way to teach kids whats both right and wrong however a kid wont grasp it like us and anyway its upto parents to make sure the correct message gets across as much as it is laurens or any other show creators. To teach whats right is good but to allow them room to understand wrong aswell could have a good effect rather than giving kids way too much shelter. Since creating a bubble will only last a short amount of time. Anyway its just my idea and it could be majorly flawed as im no parent and if so will respect if somebody decides to point out any flaws in my opinions. Edited by chaos rains
  • Brohoof 1

You're correct. Femme Fatale was intended to be a parody of "bad" feminists. Lauren Faust is a self-proclaimed feminist herself and didn't intend to insult feminism as a whole. Unfortunately, many interpreted it that way... including me, a little bit :/ That episode was pretty disappointing, but I think the rest of the episodes have a whole truckload of feminist-positive content to make up for it, really.

The main issue with that whether or not a clear distinction is made between radical and non-radical feminism. Perhaps adults could figure that out... but could a child? The uncertainty is still there on whether or not the episode sends out a positive message of feminism. Lauren Faust has even confirmed that this episode was an old shame, that she regretted writing the episode, of hers as she wasn't sure if the show was the proper way to teach feminism.

Yeah, I don't think a child could figure it out. I know when I watched it at a younger I age (I absolutely LOVED ppg when I was 9-13 years old) I didn't understand that it was insulting only one type of feminist. I remember even when i re-watched it as a college student, I was like "Eeeeeeeh this is NOT good portrayal of feminist at all....." I understand know that it was supposed to be a feminist caricature, a joke... but it wasn't executed very well at all. That being said, the PPG still kick ass in my book. B)  I agree with this analysis of the show. PPG is filled with lots of positive, empowering messages for girls, just like MLP is (despite femme fatale not being the most fantastic episode...)!

k502o2.png

• Brohoof 4

Thought it'll be nice to post some cute MLP graphics I found on one of the nicest feminist blogs I've seen. c:

tumblr_n0i4ezNyhg1tqsj9do1_500.png

tumblr_n01kjovNRk1tqsj9do1_500.png

tumblr_n0eam9AzRU1tqsj9do1_500.png
tumblr_n0e8nnUOOq1tqsj9do1_500.png

Also, does anyone know any good shows that are pro-feminist? Preferably a cartoon, but I'll watch anything. ;)
  • Brohoof 4

Thought it'll be nice to post some cute MLP graphics I found on one of the nicest feminist blogs I've seen. c:

img-2960924-1-tumblr_n0i4ezNyhg1tqsj9do1

img-2960924-2-tumblr_n01kjovNRk1tqsj9do1

img-2960924-3-tumblr_n0eam9AzRU1tqsj9do1

img-2960924-4-tumblr_n0e8nnUOOq1tqsj9do1

Also, does anyone know any good shows that are pro-feminist? Preferably a cartoon, but I'll watch anything. ;)

just as long as they aint sexualised as I think some cartoons are stupid that way expecially anime. Sorry just thought id make it clear. The only ones i know are powerpuff girls and this but yeah I find such things hard to come by. Do horrors count as pro feminist where the girl survives or are these just stupid? Personally I hate new horrors however the ALIEN series was extremely pro feminine with the fact Sigourney weaver was so manly if you pardon the expression she became one of the greats. Also she could pass for a man and still turn a few heads with her beauty. Not gay so you know just saying and also I'm respecting of the homosexual community. And now ill shut up before I make myself sound stupid. :-s lol

• Brohoof 1

Oh, I don't how I forgot about this one: Sailor Moon!

I love this show because it shows middle school girls and some typical worries they have, but it also shows the girls as having great power. It's pretty similar to Powerpuff Girls in the sense that the majority of the characters are pretty feminine, but their femininity is seen as strength rather than a weakness. Sailor Moon also scores some extra points with me because (in the uncensored version, at least) there is LGBT+ representation and a little bit more gender variance and breaking of gender roles (a couple of the characters are on the more masculine/tomboy side, showing the many ways to be a girl!). I like this review of Sailor Moon's feminist themes a lot.

2cfyznt.gif

a09jlg.gif

Some other shows that I think are feminist-friendly besides MLP, PPG, and Sailor Moon (I'll mark the ones which are cartoons with a star - unfortunately I don't know a whole lot - but I know of some good non-cartoon ones):

Once Upon a Time

Avatar The Last Airbender* (haven't personally watched it, but I've heard wonderful things!)

Parks and Recreation

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Mad Men
Daria*

Orange is the New Black

The Mindy Project

Nashville

Oh, and to backtrack a little bit - while talking about Powerpuff Girls, I found this PPG/pony crossover art and I just had to share:

292sodx.png

• Brohoof 4

Oh, I don't how I forgot about this one: Sailor Moon!

I love this show because it shows middle school girls and some typical worries they have, but it also shows the girls as having great power. It's pretty similar to Powerpuff Girls in the sense that the majority of the characters are pretty feminine, but their femininity is seen as strength rather than a weakness. Sailor Moon also scores some extra points with me because (in the uncensored version, at least) there is LGBT+ representation and a little bit more gender variance and breaking of gender roles (a couple of the characters are on the more masculine/tomboy side, showing the many ways to be a girl!). I like this review of Sailor Moon's feminist themes a lot.

img-2965416-1-2cfyznt.gif

img-2965416-2-a09jlg.gif

Some other shows that I think are feminist-friendly besides MLP, PPG, and Sailor Moon (I'll mark the ones which are cartoons with a star - unfortunately I don't know a whole lot - but I know of some good non-cartoon ones):

Once Upon a Time

Avatar The Last Airbender* (haven't personally watched it, but I've heard wonderful things!)

Parks and Recreation

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Mad Men

Daria*

Orange is the New Black

The Mindy Project

Nashville

Oh, and to backtrack a little bit - while talking about Powerpuff Girls, I found this PPG/pony crossover art and I just had to share:

img-2965416-3-292sodx.png

I never saw Sailor Moon; had some friends that were heavy into it in highschool; but I never checked it out... Might have to now; do you know if it's on Netflix?

The feminist party "Feministiskt Initiativ" will hopefully get elected into the government later this year!

I can't votw myself, but I really hope they'll manage (statistics says they will)

Edit: Live in Sweden btw x)

Edited by Keraishii
  • Brohoof 1

Omg! I haven't read the entire thread but I am sooo happy to see this thread exists!! I consider myself a trans-inclusive radfem (read: I support trans folk as I consider myself non-binary...am NOT an awful TERF and don't support those terrible people). I'm really excited there is a pro-fem thread here  :yay:

• Brohoof 1

I never saw Sailor Moon; had some friends that were heavy into it in highschool; but I never checked it out... Might have to now; do you know if it's on Netflix?

No, it's not :( But they started releasing episodes on Hulu! I also hear the reboot is streaming on some free video sites but I can't remember wherrrrre... I just broke down and bought the complete set of episodes on DVD from EBay XD it's a great show. It starts of with Usagi, aka Sailor Moon, being prett weak and whiny (she's an over-dramatic middle schooler lol) but she really does grow despite her flaws and insecurities. So even if you're turned off by whiny characters, I encourage you to keep watching - it improves a lot! I actually find Usagi's personality hilarious an I love it. :)

• Brohoof 1

I heard this song and watched the music video yesterday and I just absolutely love it. If you're a fan of country music, you have to listen! It's a spot-on commentary about how contemporary male country singers tend to reduce girls in their songs/music videos to the same cliche in every hit song. And the video is AMAZING.

"Girl in a Country Song" - Maddie & Tae

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MOavH-Eivw

Lyrics:

Well, I wish I had some shoes on my two bare feet.
And it's gettin' kinda cold in these painted on cut off jeans.
I hate the way this bikini top chafes.
Do I really have to wear it all day?

(Yeah, baby)

I hear you over there on your tailgate whistlin'
Sayin', "Hey girl,"
But you know I ain't listenin.'
'Cause I got a name,
And to you it ain't "pretty little thing," "honey," or "baby."
Yeah, it's drivin' me red-red-red-red-red-red-red neck crazy

Bein' the girl in a country song.
How in the world did it go so wrong?
Like all we're good for
Is looking good for you and your friends on the weekend,
Nothing more.
We used to get a little respect.
Now we're lucky if we even get
To climb up in your truck, keep my mouth shut and ride along
And be the girl in a country song.

Well shakin' my moneymaker ain’t ever made me a dime.
And there ain't no sugar for you in this shaker of mine.
Tell me one more time, "you gotta get you some of that"
Sure I'll slide on over, but you’re gonna get slapped.
These days it ain't easy being that

Girl in a country song.
Like all we're good for
Nothing more.
And be the girl in a country song.

(Yeah, yeah baby)

Aww no, Conway and George Strait
Never did it this way
Back in the old days.
Aww y'all, we ain't a cliché.
That ain't no way
To treat a lady.

Like a girl in a country song.
Like all we're good for
Nothing more.
Down some old dirt road we don't even wanna be on
And be the girl in a country song

("Yeah baby"

"I ain't your tan legged Juliet."

"Can I put on some real clothes now?")

Btw, you all should post any songs/music video that you think are feminist-friendly! I'm in a musical mood lately. :)

• Brohoof 5

"I ain't your tan legged Juliet."

"Can I put on some real clothes now?")

Btw, you all should post any songs/music video that you think are feminist-friendly! I'm in a musical mood lately. :)

I kept the last part about the clothes in because on its own its somewhat amusing. Maybe not but anyway I would give ya music but its neither feminine or masculine or whatever its just completely out there as its trailor music or epic orchestral w.e ya wanna call it. Ofcourse some of the songs have the most beautiful female voices in em like julie elven for example. That woman can sing a song to make a grown man cry rivers if she wanted I think. Ofcourse a kick in the nuts does that too. I know as its happened to me. It hurts like hell. :-)

• Brohoof 1

- Please ensure all content is germane to feminism in some way. It can be about how feminism affects your life IRL or about feminism in MLP - just make sure you're on topic and that your posts are feminist-positive.
I don't understand the word "germane" *uses google*. ((Inner ramble about how you could have used an easier word begins in my mind))

- Why do you think feminism is still relevant to today's world?
Because as you would say to eliminate what my grandpa used to say when i was a kid "Men don't cry." in order to get me to stop crying.

- What is difficult about being a feminist in general?
Political correctness in order to be "just and fair" for your cause. Oh and tumblr, facebook, e.t.c. make it real hard for me to find true feminists. I like feminists... at least the idea of it that's supported by some people. And generalizations also make it pretty hard to identify feminism, that includes labelling. No feminism isn't bad... it's just that i consider feminists people who actively support that cause or align themselves with it... not the allusions of it.

- How do you think feminism gets treated in the MLP fandom?
Fairly the same as in any show that shows some female friendly values. We have the same positives and the same problems.

- How does MLP support your feminist values?
By supporting equality it allows itself to promote both female-friendly and male-friendly values. Like e.g. being true to yourself ((see Trenderhoof-Applejack-Rarity episode)).

- What is awesome about being a feminist?
I am not one((at least not active enough to call myself that)) but i guess the most awesome part is changing legislations to equate gender roles, doing what's right and restoring justice in court ((even if it means the father winning)), applying political correctness to your own self and movement. All of it as a part of becoming a better human being that knows no restriction from gender roles or even labels.

- How has feminism affected you personally?
Affected? Not exactly... but it has opened my eyes to talk to people who represent it and people who oppose it equally. It has forged a view of the world for me and i thank it...

- What are some good feminist quotes, graphics, or articles?
I don't like quoting other big people... i prefer using my own mind to create good sayings. How about i create one right now?

"Feminists and Men's Rights Activists are no different from each other in their purpose... The only difference is a preference on which to represent. A fight between each other is very much like civil war."

What do you think about this one?

I love that song!

I heard this song recently and thought it was decidedly empowering. Hooray for having the courage to love yourself despite your flaws <3

Secrets - Mary Lambert

Lyrics:

I've got bi-polar disorder
My shit's not in order
I'm overweight
I'm always late
I've got too many things to say
I rock mom jeans, cat earrings
Extrapolate my feelings
My family is dysfunctional
But we have a good time killing each other

They tell us from the time we're young
To hide the things that we don't like about ourselves
Inside ourselves
I know I'm not the only one who spent so long attempting to be someone else
Well I'm over it

I don't care if the world knows what my secrets are (secrets are)
I don't care if the world knows what my secrets are (secrets are) So-o-o-o-o what
So what
So what
So what

I can't think straight, I'm so gay
Sometimes I cry a whole day
I care a lot, use an analog clock
And never know when to stop
And I'm passive aggressive
I'm scared of the dark and the dentist
I love my butt and won't shut up
And I never really grew up

They tell us from the time we're young
To hide the things that we don't like about ourselves
Inside ourselves
I know I'm not the only one who spent so long attempting to be someone else
Well I'm over it

So what
So what
So what
So what
So what
So what
So what
So what

(I don't care if the world knows what my secrets are)
So what
So what
So what
So what

• Brohoof 1

I'd absolutely love to join this discussion and share my thoughts! 

- When and why did you become a feminist?

I guess since forever? lol. I consider myself a feminist because I just don't believe in the gender roles and stereotypes that are so pervasive and ingrained to our society. I have an interest in a lot of feminine things, and, as a male, that really sets you against the world it seems. I also have a lot of transgendered friends who face a lot of issues everyday based on societal gender roles as well. 

- Why do you think feminism is still relevant to today's world?

It's hella relevant, not just for women's rights like abortion, glass ceiling, etc, but I believe it also applies to trans rights. 

- What is difficult about being a feminist in general?

I don't find it difficult at all. However, breaking gender roles and such is really difficult and really sets the world against you. 

- How do you think feminism gets treated in the MLP fandom?

I believe it's pretty 50/50 split in being for/against. 

- How does MLP support your feminist values?

The diamond dogs episode, nuff said. 

- How do people react when you say you're a feminist?

I've never had someone react lol. 

- What is awesome about being a feminist?

Believing, and being around others who also believe that gender roles suck and are invalid in today's society. 

- How has feminism affected you personally?

Not much as I've always believed that there is no such thing as "guy things" or "girl things" and that gender overall is a fluid thing. 

• Brohoof 2

I haven't read this article yet, but it looks interesting:

http://hellogiggles.com/tk-male-celebrity-feminists-love

It is about male celebrities who are pro-feminism.

I read something like this the other day! I always heard that Patrick Stewart is a huge supporter of women's rights. I've seen a lot of the work he's done speaking out about feminist issues, and it makes my heart happy.

s1tjl2.png

I actually didn't know Ashton Kutcher was so educated about sex trafficking though. His quote from that article was brilliant. It makes me love him even more than I already did.

• Brohoof 4