Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you wish you were better at?

Clockwork Chaos

I aced all of my math tests last year, but I still wish I was better at math. I just feel like I'm struggling, even though I get the answers right.

Also, I wish I were better at writing and art, and even though I enjoy both of those things, I'm horrible at art, and maybe half-decent at writing, at best.

• Brohoof 1

Stress control. That is, without having to resort to completely losing touch with reality. Part of why addicts are addicts is because they have a very terrible time controlling their stress on their own so they medicate it using something from the outside be it drugs, food, some other habit, through rampant consumption of entertainment or--surprise, surprise--the internet. Definitely the case with me.

Well said, and that's part of the reason I came to this forum. I live in a remote area and do most of my living and working at night, so I don't meet many people and I get 'too internalized', so I came here to 'open up' a bit. 

As for things I'd like to improve, I wish I could sing (when I do sing it's a good thing no one else IS around!). I'd like to have an understanding of computers (since these days you can barely do ANYTHING without using one!).

And just a quick note for those who wish they could excel at school; I dropped out when I was in 8th grade and never looked back. I've been doing just fine. Algebra and most other things they teach you (besides the basics) is pretty useless in the real world. If you really end up needing these things, learn them on your own from books, internet, etc, when and if it becomes necessary, you'll retain it easier because you'll want to.  

Stress control. That is, without having to resort to completely losing touch with reality. Part of why addicts are addicts is because they have a very terrible time controlling their stress on their own so they medicate it using something from the outside be it drugs, food, some other habit, through rampant consumption of entertainment or--surprise, surprise--the internet. Definitely the case with me.

Oh man, I have similar problems. I can be pretty bad at controlling my temper.

I don't get angry too often, but when I do, whoever pissed me off tends to get verbally assaulted.

Oh, geez, I dunno.
How about understanding women?
Yeah, I'd like that very much.
I think science has the ability to eventually answer every question we can imagine, but it will NEVER be able to explain women.

• 2 weeks later...

There are many things I wish I were better at.

Drawing - I always see so many interesting and well done pieces of art not just of ponies, but countless other things. I myself look at these drawings and become inspired by them. So, I try drawing but realize my attempts at drawing look nowhere near as good when compared to other masterpieces in the brony community. I wish I was better at this skill, but you know what they say. Practice makes perfect.

Socializing - A skill I really wish I was better at. Online I am a very social person who will keep a conversation going for as long as I can. So, online is no problem at all. Offline is an entirely different story. When offline, I am not social in the slightest and can't keep a conversation going to save my life. Most of my conversations last about three seconds and then it's awkward silence for the rest of the time.

Singing! I love music soooooo much but I suck at singing.I did try taking singing lessons before and everypony said I improved,but unfortunately they are very expensive for something I just do as a hobby. I suppose if I really want it badly enough,I should go back to the lessons. I mean who cares that it's just a hobby right? Life is too short to let opportunities slip through your hooves.

This got me thinking, i'm sure there's one thing above anything else that we all wish we were better at, for me, it has to be drawing. i *wish* i could contribute artwork to the forum, or draw my own OC or just be better than an 8 year old at drawing anything XD

You CAN learn to draw. I wish I was a better artist sometimes too. learning the techniques of drawing WILL improve your drawing. learning how to use basic shapes to form a pony (or person) Learning how to achieve perspective. getting a feel for how to evoke emotions using angles shapes and lines.

You may never become the most famous or best artist, Just as I will never win Australian Idol...but with practice and tuition ANY skill can be improved so don't give up.

Mikestar

Edited by Mikestar

I think I would like to be better at conversation.  I'm ok once I get into a conversation, but the first 5 minutes always feel very awkward to me.  

Some more things

singing with a raspy voice. 

Consistent exercise

Stage Presence.  

Graphic Design

Spanish

Drawing

Recording music in a timely manner ( I release new songs every 3 months.  I really would like to cut that time down to every month.)

For some reason, I have a great long term memory but very horrible short term memory. Thus, I wish I had a better short-term memory, it gets annoying walking into a room three times and still not remembering what I was doing in there.

Ah remembering things, over years of doing drugs my memory is well shit, sure I can remember all the things about MLP and some other stuff but I sure would love to remembering other things like my phone number, where I live etc etc. noting more noting less

I wish I was better at socializing and making friends. I'm not a pro at carrying conversation. I also wish I was more motivated to do my best in school and in life. I've been really lazy the last couple of years and my grades could be better than they are right now

I wish i was better at being better in general. I feel like im just an asshole sometimes and careless, when i really do care and i can be nice, but i feel like i tick off a lot of people. I dunno, its just me, but sometimes i wish i was a better person?

• 1 year later...

I wish I were a lot better musically, so I could record my own music. I would either sing, play the guitar, or both. I remember taking a test saying I would be best suited as a DJ, so probably learning a music software program to mix my own music.

I mostly got everything else in order or don't want it. I wish I weren't so lazy though. I don't have a motivation to do anything productive. I want that to magically change, but it probably won't happen.

I wish I had more time and inspiration to start drawing again, so I can at least improve somewhat! :(

As for something that'll help me out in the long run--social skills. I don't have the faintest idea as to how to speak to people for more than thirty seconds, which I have to do now that it's pretty much required of me at work...