Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hape (hugging without consent): your thoughts on it?

Undubbed Wubs

Hape and Hug Opinion Poll  

113 users have voted

1. 1. Do you find the term 'hape' offensive?

• No
    • Yes
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Given as a supportive or comforting gesture, how do you feel about online hugs from a stranger?

• Indifferent
    • Dislike
    • Unsure
  3. 3. Given as a supportive or comforting gesture, how do you feel about online hugs from a friend?

• Indifferent
    • Dislike
    • Unsure

IsHvfWh.jpg

Is the term offensive or harmless?  Does it make light of a more serious crime, or am I just overthinking things?

Additionally, do you feel hape is an inappropriate action or all in good fun?

904099899e.png

Fancy AND fast!

Anyways, while the term doesn't offend me personally, I do think it might offend others.

And it's all in good fun, of course.

Hugs are nice, and even if you dislike them, it's not like it'd hurt or anything. o:

• Brohoof 4

As an Englishman the concept of physical affection in general is unsettling but that is largely due to societal stigma.

I can manage a nod or a semi-facetious shoulder pat for relatives but anything past that is getting into crazy town.

• Brohoof 2

I seriously thought that was a typo at first and thought "who is going to defend rape?" I am pretty much indifferent, the term is kind of dumb but I am not going to flip out over something that almost nobody has ever heard of.

This is a silly term that I have never actually come across before. I don't really see how someone would find it offensive.

hape, v. to nonconsentually hug.

"Help! I've just been haped!"

I don't know a single person who would be offended by a hug.

Not sure why a term like this would be offensive to anyone...Hell, I don't see how the word rape could offend most people. It is just a word and it depends on its usage. If someone is a victim of it, then sure, that makes sense. However this word, what is there to be offended by?

• Brohoof 3

I'm ok with it. But in real life, it's a bit creepy. As if someone's going to pickpocket me. But if a friend I know in real life has done it then I'm ok with it. And believe me, they have.

I'm someone who never really likes the word "rape" being thrown around in any kind of joking/haphazard way. I have too many friends who were sexually assaulted for me to be able to use that word light-heartedly in the way so many other people can. Especially when talking about "online hugs:" seeing some words on a screen is simply not comparable to someone being sexually violated IRL. :( Sorry to get all serious, but that's just kind of what goes through my mind when I see the word. I know others are going to think I'm being too touchy, but... eh.

• Brohoof 6

If y'all get haped, it's yer own damn fault. Look at you, walkin' around dressed like a regular gloomy gus and listenin' to emo music on your iPod. Yer just askin' for some stranger to randomly walk up and hug you, ya little hut.

(Okay, I had way too much fun writing that. And I know it's easily the dirtiest joke on this thread. :lol: )

But seriously, random hugs are great. Not a damn thing wrong with spreading a little unprovoked love and kindness in this strange, sadistic world of ours. :yay: 

• Brohoof 2

I'm not particularly keen on it, I have my own personal space, and I suppose it's fine if it is coming from a person I know, otherwise it's just plain weird. Sometimes it's all in good fun, but it really depends on the situation I guess.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm lookin' at ya, yeah girl your kind of tookin' back by the whole haper thing aren't ya?

Probably thinkin' you'll get hugged so dang hard ya won't even be able to stand up straight, aren't ya?

Couple Hape charges, people thing you're a monster.

The police constantly huggin' ya non-stop.

I walk up on ya, "Well hello Tonya"

I think ya got your OnStar butten inside your car stuck.

You out of gas, do you got a flat?

I would hate for you to be stranded at the laundromat.

I got your back

Why don't you put your laundry basket in the back

And sit up front, not askin' it's a hape

..... To far?

Sorry, i couldn't resist. Please don't take offence, i'm an idiot and didn't mean anything by it. I just saw an opportunity for an Eminem reference and figured, Why not.

Anyway, Hugs are great, i would think. I don't get very many...... Or any at all....... Now i'm sad.

Edited by Evil Nightmares

I wouldn't mind. I've actually been Haped (old lady, helped her find a lamp, totally nice)

Pretty sure others would be terrified of me Haping them, mostly because A/ I'm a big scary guy and B/ alot of folks are so thin in comparison i'm likely to break them in half. :P

I wouldn't mind getting a HAPE online, but I would mind if I got one in real life from someone who I don't know.

• Brohoof 1

The term is somewhat offensive, I feel it makes light of a very serious crime. It's all very well if you don't know anyone who's been sexually assaulted, or you don't live in fear of the same happening to you. There are much better words which could be used. What the hell happened to just saying 'surprise hugs'?

As far as online goes... /hugs is hardly offensive at all. It's meant as a gesture of enthusiasm or comfort. That's fine. I don't find it uncomfortable. I prefer it coming from a friend, but it's not weird coming from strangers either.

In real life though... If a stranger hugs me without consent, I'd be livid, and more than a little terrified. I'm a very cuddly person around friends, but I do not like being touched by people I don't know. (The sole exception is little old ladies, because little old ladies get away with everything.)

• Brohoof 9

The word is somewhat offensive, I actually cringed a little when I saw what it meant.

I do not like people touching me, I never have.  I've had people force hug me tons of time, especially when I was in school and it was just so awkward and and tense up and hold my breath and look away until they let go of me.  You're just creepy if you touch people without asking.

Online hugs are kinda awkward, as in I don't really know how to reply to that, but they really don't compare at all so I don't care.

• Brohoof 3

Heheh, "hape". I think have haped people before online, but I usually ask for permission. In real life it just sort of happens.

A stranger hug would be weird indeed :blink:.

And I don't find hape offensive.... But then again, you can't even mention you know who near you know who.

• Brohoof 1

Online, I have no problem with 'hape', as you call it. In fact, I've sent messages to people on these forums before with just the text '*hugs*', to brighten up their day! :squee:

I'd feel slightly confused if someone I didn't know hugged me IRL, but as long as their intentions are good, I have no problem! Hugs are great, and a nice way to comfort people. :D

• Brohoof 2