Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Family Reactions to when I confessed I was a brony

JustaMelly

Dad:  :angry:  ARE YOU EVEN A MAN LIKE YOUR YOUNGER BROTHER???

Mom:  :lol:  I remember MLP in my days, My little pony, My little pony,~

YoungerBrother#1:  B)  I'm cool because I'm a man unlike you

YoungerSister#1:  :blink: What the heck? I thought only girls watched it?

YoungerBrother#2:  -_-  You're a girl

YoungerBrother#3:  B)  >_>  I'm cool and your a girl

Family(Unison):   :angry:  YOU'RE NOT EVEN A MAN AND YOU'RE THE OLDEST!!!  :angry:

Im the only guy in my family who likes MLP ;3

• Brohoof 4

I get the feeling Bronies know more about themselves than other people know about themselves. We are more conscientious of our identities because we stand against the social norm. Other people are just not used to thinking about these things.

So don't worry. When your family starts thinking deep into the subject they will start loving the show themselves.

• Brohoof 1

The first reaction means nothing. What happens in the weeks to come does. If they really don't like it, you're going to have to do some opinion changing, or just live with it. But most people are nice and accepting. I'm sure they'll be fine with it.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Here is this gem of a conversation between me and my wife which occurred almost immediately after I caught myself mentally singing and humming "Art of the Dress". This is 90% of the conversation. Anything with <> has been edited.

Me: You on

Wife: I wish I was on ... Oh you mean online. Yep

Wife: All ok?

Me: Yeah just <nonsense junk about a fence and the dog>

Me: Ok, here's the deal ... both ur kids are grounded until further notice!

Wife: Whoa there smiley, you never ground them .. what happened?

Wife: ?? y ??

Wife: did they kill someone again??

Me: Worse

Me: They turned me into a Brony

Me: Hello?

Me: If you are on the phone with <attorney> I am not amused.

Wife: lmfao

Wife: ewwwwwwwwwwwww

Me: I'm serious

Wife: u for real?

Me: Yep

Wife: Well serves you right, playing with fire like that.

Me: huh?

Wife: So ... Best Pony?

Me: sigh. What?

Me: I can't get one of the songs out of my head <Name removed>

Wife: Which one

Me: don't know the name.

Me: The one where Rarity makes god awful garbage cause the rest are morons.

Me: She sings this song.

Wife: <JERIC!> I don't know the songs. <Thing 2> would. Prolly <Thing 1> too

Me: Anyway ... tell the kids ... not cool. I have enough stuff I watch. Now this too?

Wife: Is this why you have been looking up all that stuff in the last week?

Wife: thought u were jst connecting with kids

Wife: no?

Me: Yeah, no its not one of those things. ... this shit sucks you in ...

Me: like bad.

Wife: lol ur a dork

Me: that's a me. Kyle said it would get me one day.

Wife: kids still grounded

Me: Fuck Ya! well ... just make them think so.

Wife: Ur an ass. luv u

Me: ME 2

Wife: Oh, and jst so were clear ... 1st time you ask me to wear a horn ... im moving.

Me: <Wife's Name> Seriously?

Wife: jk goofball.

Me: You drive me nutzen

Wife: : p

Edited by Princess Jeric
  • Brohoof 2

Here is this gem of a conversation between me and my wife which occurred almost immediately after I caught myself mentally singing and humming "Art of the Dress". This is 90% of the conversation. Anything with <> has been edited.

Me: Anyway ... tell the kids ... not cool. I have enough stuff I watch. Now this too?

Wife: Oh, and jst so were clear ... 1st time you ask me to wear a horn ... im moving.

I enjoyed reading this conversation to much lol.

Regarding the OP, your family seems to be kind of ignorant on the whole thing, hopefully in time they'll get over it.

Of course those type of reactions are basically why I don't tell anyone I'm a brony, and happily remain a closet brony.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

If those were genuinely the words they used when reacting...  Your family is pretty darn obsessed with what it means to "be a man" lol.  Preoccupied with gender / gender roles.  I think that a preoccupation with that sort of thing belies a hidden feeling of personal insecurity.  "I'm such a man!  Look at how much of a man I am!  There's someone - right over there - not being as much of a man as I am!"  Then, on the inside: "Am I really a man?  Am I enough of a man??  Do I pick up enough heavy objects and open enough doors for women???  Who will open doors for women if I'm not enough of a man????"  I went to a strange place with this, and I apologize. xD

Gender roles - and the outdated perception of them - can suck it.  Like what you like.  Because NOT liking what you like and / or adhering to others' ideas of proper gender-based conduct and normalcy are a**.

Edited by PegaMister
  • Brohoof 4

"Are you even a man?!"

Proper response: "Would you like to see my genitals, father dearest? :3"

Anyway, at least your mom seems to know what's goin' on. ;)

• Brohoof 2

Common family reaction. Thank god my family don't even know what Bronies are :D

Though my brother is very smart handling this situation, he said I should suppress the fandom-ness to myself aka he wanted me to return to a closet brony. His intention is good, but the truth is already out, there's nothing I can do.

• Brohoof 1

All I can say is I hope things improve for you.

I honestly don't care anymore if my family finds out. I'm usually alone in my room anyway.

• Brohoof 1

Common family reaction. Thank god my family don't even know what Bronies are :D

Though my brother is very smart handling this situation, he said I should suppress the fandom-ness to myself aka he wanted me to return to a closet brony. His intention is good, but the truth is already out, there's nothing I can do.

I feel ya

"Are you even a man?!"

Proper response: "Would you like to see my genitals, father dearest? :3"

Anyway, at least your mom seems to know what's goin' on. ;)

OMG IM DYING OF LAUGHTER I AM GONNA SAY THAT NOW XD. And yea my mom hates new MLP but she still loves that they kept MLP alive, she's a G1 fan :P

If those were genuinely the words they used when reacting...  Your family is pretty darn obsessed with what it means to "be a man" lol.  Preoccupied with gender / gender roles.  I think that a preoccupation with that sort of thing belies a hidden feeling of personal insecurity.  "I'm such a man!  Look at how much of a man I am!  There's someone - right over there - not being as much of a man as I am!"  Then, on the inside: "Am I really a man?  Am I enough of a man??  Do I pick up enough heavy objects and open enough doors for women???  Who will open doors for women if I'm not enough of a man????"  I went to a strange place with this, and I apologize. xD

Gender roles - and the outdated perception of them - can suck it.  Like what you like.  Because NOT liking what you like and / or adhering to others' ideas of proper gender-based conduct and normalcy are a**.

"Men" what is this "Man" you speak of? I'm a Unicorn. "Men" is merely a term for a bunch of in-elegant Turd balls

I enjoyed reading this conversation to much lol.

Regarding the OP, your family seems to be kind of ignorant on the whole thing, hopefully in time they'll get over it.

Of course those type of reactions are basically why I don't tell anyone I'm a brony, and happily remain a closet brony.

I enjoyed the clumsily worded conversation also ^o^. And I didnt really take it too heart. They have an understanding since the EverFree NorthWest con just came and they found out what a Brony is.

Well atleast you didn't get the whole "son..... Are you gay?".... Awkward ass discussion....

It almost got there ohoho glad it didnt thoe. But people always ask me this e.e 

Your family reactions makes me sad.

I have no way to respond. But I wasnt surprised XD Football fans tend to be wanting to be the entity so called a, "Man"

Will you marry me? Im a guy but im much hawter than your wife XD

(That convo though XD)

• Brohoof 2

The extent of my wife's reaction:

Wife: So your a Brony?

Me:Yep

Wife: When did this happen?

Me: A few weeks ago, I got sucked in with well written fan-fiction stories. Then I finally watched the show. You know how I'm a sucker for a good story.

Wife:  ...

That's it. now occasionally I get Twilight Sparkle candies :P

• Brohoof 1

this looks like fun. i'll join

Mom: "........really? a show for little girls?" :o

Dad: "I would never watch a show for little girls " -_-

little sister #1: ".....I don't even know you. You're not my brother anymore" :eww: (I later made this one into a pegasister XD)

little sister #2: "omg I love my little pony" :muffins:(she don't know jack about ponies)

family friend: "my little pony is a show for potheads" :mellow:

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Dad: (doesn't really give a crap about it which is strange because 2 years ago he caught me watching my little pony and made a big deal over it saying how there were only girls on the screen and the show's for 3 year old girls, either he doesn't care or he doesn't know what mlp stands for)

Mom: At first: Isn't this a little too girly, referring to a Sweetie Belle plushie from Build a Bear I want to get. Yesterday she saved it from me and helps me order ponies from online.

Brother Joseph: Seriously you like unicorns and pegasus those are for girls man you are completely lost and just plain weird.

Brother Nick: Wow I thought that you hated bronies, I can't believe you are one now that's just so weird dude.

Sister Anne: Haha you're a brony LOUIS IS A BRONY hahaha that's so funny you loveeeeeeee ponies now.

Sister Jenny: Wow dude you're a brony, that's so weird. Later on "dude do you want to play ponies now?"

Pet cat Bexy: (sniffs and analyzes Fluttershy brushable petting her with her hoof)

Grandma Grammy: (In the pools swimming sees ponies floating by because I'm playing a game with Nick, ponies I see a pony!

Edited by PokeBolter
  • Brohoof 1

Will you marry me? Im a guy but im much hawter than your wife XD

(That convo though XD)

Jeric's wife is smexy wife. ;)

I didn't realize until copying and editing that from FB Messenger that she actually asked be who was Best Pony and I kinda ignored the question because I don't think I understood it.

If I do ever make a "How you became a Brony blog ... that is so going in it."

Dad---> shotgun boom... Actually watch what you want as long as you dont turn up the volume to high

Mum--->okay... Thats nice

Sister: gugugaga

When I told my family that I liked My Little Pony, my parents and sisters didn't really care as much, primarily because I'm an adult and I can like whatever. But when it comes to telling the extended family about it, the outcome became much different. I was heavily criticized because I liked a show that was mainly for little girls, and one of my cousins threatened to hand-me-down my Twilight Sparkle keychain to her little sister because she liked MLP like I do, only because it's "appropriate for her and not for someone like me." Thankfully I did refuse to do so, even though that did sound a little mean. :s