Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

(edited)

Often in fanworks, Rarity the Unicorn Pony is associated with these:

"FabulousFabulousFabulous"

"Bend over, darling."

"IMMA SNUGGLE YOU, DARLING!!1"

"worst pony" (a serious lot of times)

How did our beloved fashion designer end up like this, for each "trait"?

Edited by HorsesandMOARGaloar
  • Brohoof 2

Rarity is often perceived and portrayed as a gold digger by many fan works who like the character. This can result to the artists and writers developing her character to say such things as "Bend over, darling.". I also feel that the phrase "worst pony" can often be applied to any pony but it all depends on what the fans opinion is. For example I am not the biggest fan of Rainbow Dash (although I wouldn't say she is worst pony).

The first one is because she is fabulous.

Second, I dunno.

Third is because of that episode, where she does that thing to Twilight.

post-22929-0-06945700-1406555146.gif

And last one because everyone gets hate.

• Brohoof 1

I'll try and put aside my obvious bias.

I believe the Snuggle and Hug meme came about because of a few specific shots that showed her snuggling up to Twilight. That and she may very well be the least touch averse Pony (next to Pinkie of course). It grew from there and you also have macros showing characters trying to stage an intervention.

Fabulous really doesn't need much explanation ...

Worst Pony ... for a long time she was considered an inaccessible character and unfairly dismissed by some as 'the girlie greedy one'

Bend over was already discussed.

I'm surprised you didn't ask about the crabs or marshmallow memes. :D

I've found on many brony sites (such as Horse News) that Rarity might be less likely be known as "best pony", but is more likely to be labelled as "worst pony".

Thats because many people in this fandom are spineless twats that know that Rarity ,and Applejack too, have less fans than the rest of the mane6, and think that they can get away with bullying their fans because of that.

Because thats what the show is about, ganging up on groups that are weaker then you. And then complaining that these people are annoying if they strike back.

• Brohoof 6

Rarity is often perceived and portrayed as a gold digger by many fan works who like the character.

Bleh, don't know why people would think that.

The funny thing is that by now actually Rarity has to be wary of gold diggers, seeing that she is amazingly successful in her job and has many connections. :pout:

• Brohoof 1

People probably see Rarity as a 'slut' because of how she sometimes acts and her looks. It sometimes links with how some girls are in real life. Like her seductive eyes and all that XD I dunno.

Well, if there are people that see her as slut because she cares about her looks and uses her wits then... *sigh*

Can't have a women that actually has confidence and knows what she wants, can we? Women that actually love their career and their work?

People dislike Rarity because they could not send her to the kitchen to make them a sandwich, i guess.

• Brohoof 7

I believe "Bend over, darling!" originated from this:

Except that she was actually portraying a different pony in that episode. One who wasn't terribly nice.

Hard to picture Rarity as a gold digger, though. Okay, she tried to date a prince but if she were really in it just for the royal opportunities she wouldn't have dumped him like yesterday's trash. If anything, she's probably MORE careful about who she takes an interest in after two miserably failed attempts.

• Brohoof 4

Well, if there are people that see her as slut because she cares about her looks and uses her wits then... *sigh*

Can't have a women that actually has confidence and knows what she wants, can we? Women that actually love their career and their work?

People dislike Rarity because they could not send her to the kitchen to make them a sandwich, i guess.

Oh my GOD i hate that 'go to the kitchen and make a sandwich' phrase. It annoys me!!  :okiedokielokie:

• Brohoof 5

I know the reason Rarity is called worst pony cuz she's the one that doesn't stay true to her element a lot of times. Like in Baby Cakes at least every pony else had a excuse to not watch the babies but Rarity just said no with no excuse.

Nopony stays true to their element all the time, thats just not possible. Rarity is true to her element more then not, like the rest of the mane6.

And just because she is honest and did not make something up in that situation she is worst pony? You don't even know if she did not have a reason for refusing and just did not tell it.

Thats typical... "Rarity does not everything someone asks of her and is not a doormat, she is not generous!"  :muffins:

• Brohoof 2

Nopony stays true to their element all the time, thats just not possible. Rarity is true to her element more then not, like the rest of the mane6.

And just because she is honest and did not make something up in that situation she is worst pony? You don't even know if she did not have a reason for refusing and just did not tell it.

Thats typical... "Rarity does not everything someone asks of her and is not a doormat, she is not generous!" :muffins:

Alright I'm gonna have to do this again. I was not hating on Rarity. I was just saying how Rarity is viewed as worst pony in bronies eyes.

its funny because..i like her for exactly those reasons^^

rarity is a confident,funny and a bit "bitchy" character, she knows what she wants and is determined to get it.

she isnt perfect,as seen in "sweet and elite", she lies to her friends because she is afraid of her place in the high society.

that aspect makes her interesting to me.

but i guess that her flaws arent as "nice" as for example fluttershy, her flaws actually make her directly more appealing.

Alright I'm gonna have to do this again. I was not hating on Rarity. I was just saying how Rarity is viewed as worst pony in bronies eyes.

Well, im sorry, but the problem is that you expressed it like it was your opinion.

You should maybe have said: "The reason many people call Rarity worst pony is because they think that she is true to her element the least."

That way it does not look like you think that yorself, you know what i mean?

Well, im sorry, but the problem is that you expressed it like it was your opinion.

You should maybe have said: "The reason many people call Rarity worst pony is because they think that she is true to her element the least."

That way it does not look like you think that yorself, you know what i mean?

Its alright and yeah I do need to do that. It slipped my mind while writing it.

(edited)

1. "Bend Over" - Rarity is likely perceived as a highly sexual being due to the vibes she gives off by doing things like bedroom eyes a lot well as her attention to detail when it comes to her appearance. 

2. "Fabulous" - Because she is fabulous :P

3. Marshmallow - likely because of how the way the animation style is (look at their hooves) and the shade of white that her coat possesses is the same shade of a marshmallow.

4. Worst Pony - It has nothing to do with her generosity, although that's a claim people, for whatever reason, often attempt to leverage against her, although it's far from true and I can prove it. What's really the case is that she's either at the back of people's list because she's the girliest and people feel inclined to dislike the character just because she's at the back (happened with me and RD a while back), they totally ignore her development and her character in general because they didn't like the first impression of being "the girly fashion one" (which, is still kind of silly, considering we saw her hard at work for something the city wanted her to do and she was willing to leave her job to fix Twilight's mane that had been absolutely uglified by Rainbow Dash.) and then just don't pay any attention after that, or really, they just need something to hate because they're trying to troll or be psuedo intellects. Stupid.

Keep in mind, though, while it does feel large at first, it's really just a vocal minority in this fandom. It's nowhere near as bad in terms in size at it's made out to be. As someone who looks at a lot of different brony based sites, I can assure you that it's not that bad. It's just a few people who are really loud about it.

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 7

Meh ... the Baby Cakes thing is called a plot device and the 'no excuse' thing is a typical comedy convention used ad naseum. This happens through the entire series were the writers will ignore established character traits to further a joke. Nothing more. It's extremely common.

And it's a stretch to say that Bronies in general still consider Rarity worst Pony. Even in ranked Mane 6 lists where a user lists a charater as last they will usually add a modifier that they don't dislike the character they ranked last.

And Pride is not a betrayal of Generosity (I'm not explaining that again) :D

• Brohoof 3

I find that most of the hate (and not just for Rarity) comes from just a few individuals with others being nothing more then band wagon generals ratteling slander sabers.

Bottom line it's all BS and it means nothing.

• Brohoof 3

People probably see Rarity as a 'slut' because of how she sometimes acts and her looks. It sometimes links with how some girls are in real life. Like her seductive eyes and all that XD I dunno.

Well she does use her sexuality to entice stallions to help her.  Perhaps that is where that concept came from?  I think she's a bit of a tease perhaps, but slut is ridiculous.

Except that she was actually portraying a different pony in that episode. One who wasn't terribly nice.

Hard to picture Rarity as a gold digger, though. Okay, she tried to date a prince but if she were really in it just for the royal opportunities she wouldn't have dumped him like yesterday's trash. If anything, she's probably MORE careful about who she takes an interest in after two miserably failed attempts.

While not a gold digger, she has times when she is a financial opportunist; Diamond Dogs (MLP& EQG)

The dragon.

the parasprite episode and her concern over her shop.

but this has to do with my understanding of generosity (see below)

I know the reason Rarity is called worst pony cuz she's the one that doesn't stay true to her element a lot of times. Like in Baby Cakes at least every pony else had a excuse to not watch the babies but Rarity just said no with no excuse.

Generosity is the trait of giving more than was expected.  Without resources, whether they be physical, temporal, emotional or other there can be no generosity.  Furthermore, Like at the end of Simple ways, Rarity expresses that beauty is of the utmost importance to her, and sharing her beauty is an integral part of that. 

With this lens, Rarity is quite generous.  Just her values (outside of generosity) may often differ from the viewers or the rest of the Mane 6.

• Brohoof 1