Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Equestria Girls something I must watch?

Yummychickenblue

Hey Forums!

I recently finished the main series of MLP:FiM and I've known that Equestria Girls is a thing for awhile now. Honestly it doesn't seem that appealing (though that was kind of what I thought of FiM) is it canon/does it have any important character development? Does it at least have a good story arch?

IMO, it's bad compared to the show. And the only way it is canon is because the one-dimensional love interest has a role in Rainbow Falls as a cameo. But I recommend to people who aren't really hardcore fans, unlike me.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Do you have to? No. Would I recommend it? Yes. It's not amazing, I'd give it a B-, but it has Twilight being Twilight and genuinely funny moments throughout. In terms of canon it technically is, but they've made it clear that they won't be referencing it in any important capacity in FiM. Nothing really happens that shapes the FiM universe or anything, it's essentially a fun side story.

Personally, I think it gets a lot of undeserved flack just because it isn't pony.

Edited by TenorSounds
  • Brohoof 4

It is technically canon. I was VERY skeptical, but I found it to be very entertaining. It's not perfect, but I found it very much on par with the show's usual quality. Definitely recommend it. Worst case scenario, you waste an hour of your life :)

• Brohoof 1

IMO, it's bad compared to the show. And the only way it is canon is because the one-dimensional love interest has a role in Rainbow Falls as a cameo. But I recommend to people who aren't really hardcore fans, unlike me.

I'm not sure if I count as a hardcore fan. . .

Do you have to? No. Would I recommend it? Yes. It's not amazing, I'd give it a B-, but it has Twilight being Twilight and genuinely funny moments throughout. In terms of canon it technically is, but they've made it clear that they won't be referencing it in any important capacity in FiM. Nothing really happens that shapes the FiM universe or anything, it's essentially a fun side story.

Personally, I think it gets a lot of undeserved flack just because it isn't pony.

Hmm ok.

It is technically canon. I was VERY skeptical, but I found it to be very entertaining. It's not perfect, but I found it very much on par with the show's usual quality. Definitely recommend it. Worst case scenario, you waste an hour of your life :)

Thats 1 hour of my life i'm never getting back! I need to be sure of this stuff!

• Brohoof 1

You don't have to wach it, but I think it's worth watching. I didn't think I would like it at first, but I did. I know a lot of people hated it though. 

It's not perfect but I think it's a good movie

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

It's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

It took me awhile to give in and watch it because all the flak made it sound like it was going to be horrible. I was bored one day so I figured "why not". It's generally got the same vibe to it as the show, just in a high school setting, and not ponies. I've actually watched it 2 or 3 times by now, mostly because I like to rewatch things to pickup on stuff I might have missed the first time through. First time I normally focus on the actual story of something, then I go back and just enjoy. Watching for easter eggs and stuff. I'll agree with @TenorSounds, it's a B/B- I'd say.

Edited by The Mane-iac
  • Brohoof 6

Thats 1 hour of my life i'm never getting back! I need to be sure of this stuff!

There are some really good/funny moments. Also, at times it dips into the "so bad (or weird) it's good category". So no matter what the quality, I'm constantly entertained by it. Even my anti-brony brother really enjoys it and we rewatch scenes from it all the time :D

(edited)

Short answer yes. Long answer... so it is technically canon, but I don't like to think of it as canon, it breaks the illusion of Equestria being a totally different place. That is not to say i did not like it. I thought it was great, it is very different from the show but still keeps that MLP feel. It was very funny to see a pony try and adapt to acting like a human, ie, picking things up with their mouth instead of their (brand new) hands, or running and dancing on all fores as apposed to on two feet. I also think the music was very good, better than a lot of the stuff from the show (not that any of the show music is bad, I love it all) So  yes, you should watch it, if for no other reason then to understand it (being apart of the franchise and all) But I think it is enjoyable to. 

Edited by Eldwain

Short answer yes. Long answer... so it is technically canon, but I don't like to think of it as canon, it breaks the illusion of Equestria being a totally different place. That is not to say i did not like it. I thought it was great, it is very different from the show but still keeps that MLP feel. It was very funny to see a pony try and adapt to acting like a human, ie, picking things up with their mouth instead of their (brand new) hands, or running and dancing on all fores as apposed to on two feet. So  yes, you should watch it, if for no other reason then to understand it (being apart of the franchise and all) But I think it is enjoyable to. 

Those all seem like something Twilight would do. 

• Brohoof 1

Here's my quick review:

Equestria Girls is not a good movie. In fact, far from that. It takes great characters and tears them to shreds by stripping them of their main personality elements. It then shows that it has its head up its butt by giving us bad character designs (with the worst being the main villain's 'new form'). While there are some good plot points such as the library scene, the rest falls flat on its face. I wish I could say the music was good, but the only two songs in this musical that were appealing were the remix of the theme song and the credits song, which is forgettable by itself.

3/10.

• Brohoof 3

Here's my quick review:

Equestria Girls is not a good movie. In fact, far from that. It takes great characters and tears them to shreds by stripping them of their main personality elements. It then shows that it has its head up its butt by giving us bad character designs (with the worst being the main villain's 'new form'). While there are some good plot points such as the library scene, the rest falls flat on its face. I wish I could say the music was good, but the only two songs in this musical that were appealing were the remix of the theme song and the credits song, which is forgettable by itself.

3/10.

That score tells me I should only watch it if I have nothing better to do.

That score tells me I should only watch it if I have nothing better to do.

Yeah, I've heard some people rant on about it, and others calling it a "guilty pleasure." And then there are the wretched fanbros... Ugh. Stay. Away. From. Them. You'll thank me later.

It depends,

If you're looking for a movie that's fun and entertaining this movie does it's job very well and I highly recommend it.

BUT if you are looking for a very strong story then this movie is not for you.

It doesn't hurt to give it a shot. It's canon, but not in a way that really affects the main show in any way(kind of like Metal Gear Rising, it's canon, but it can easily be ignored and nothing would change)

It's a fairly atrocious movie, but I would suggest giving it a watch if you have an itch for more ponies, and to see what all of the fuss is about. Otherwise, avoid it.

Just get it over with.

It really isn't that bad, but it's not as good as FiM.

It was made to sell dolls, (which are scary looking, in my opinion.)

The ending was a little cheesey, but... it was pretty cool. The songs are okay, I don't love them.

There's funny moments. And I think that dog-spike is pretty adorable!

It's a side story. I liked it actually.

:mustache:

• Brohoof 3

Well I would have to recommend you watch it, although I thought it sucked I would say you watch it, mainly because it had a very mixed reaction so you might like it. Heck maybe there is something I'm missing with this film(although in my opinion it's something everybody/pony else isn't seeing).

P.S remember that's just my opinion.

Just get it over with.

It really isn't that bad, but it's not as good as FiM.

It was made to sell dolls, (which are scary looking, in my opinion.)

The ending was a little cheesey, but... it was pretty cool. The songs are okay, I don't love them.

There's funny moments. And I think that dog-spike is pretty adorable!

It's a side story. I liked it actually.

:mustache:

Well thats what FiM is supposed to do to though, sell toys.

(edited)

Must watch? I don't think so. Equestria Girls is technically canon, and is set between the 3rd and 4th seasons, but it accomplishes nothing for the overall plot of the series, so you haven't missed any key story moments. As for whether it's a good watch, I don't love it, but I think it could have been a lot worse. I don't much care for the high school drama genre, nor do I care for such films that are musicals, complete with the worst pop imaginable(and this movie's soundtrack is atrocious by MLP standards IMHO). However, I can think of plenty worse films in that genre, and if nothing else, EQG does have a few funny moments. Don't expect anything more than junk food for the soul from this movie, but EQG didn't ruin the series for me or anything. It's just a thing that exists, and I'm more or less indifferent towards it. It is not, by any stretch, a must watch in my book, but I can think of worse ways to kill an hour.

Edited by Tross