What do you think pony hooves are like?

Dead account67902568

They look like Tiger Fist.

And Tiger Fist looks like Tiger Fist.

So they look like hooves.

----

I don't know.

I wanna find out though.

(uses experimental mutation and becomes sexy Twilight Sparkle)

Well, I guess I can finally do what I "wanna do" if you know what I mean. :D

mlfw10304_small.png

----

But, seriously, I think they are just miniature horse hooves.

• Brohoof 2

As for their My little pony counter parts, one would imagine that the ponies in equestria would keep their hooves nice and clean, and since the ponies in MLP do seem to be more anthro than a normal equine in real life I would assume that they would actually be somewhat soft and flexible, (flexible so they could more easily pick up objects).

• Brohoof 1

Of course they would be fairly tough on the bottom, we have even seen them using their hooves as hammers in the show, just the sides would more than likely be the softest part, and as you get down more towards the bottom it would turn more solid and rigid, also keep in mind that the artists in the show don't draw 98 percent of characters with hooves, or rather their hooves blend perfectly in with their coat, so in reality it is pretty hard to tell exactly where their leg ends and hooves begin.

• Brohoof 1

Considering they can go up nearly and actually vertical surfaces with little effort and the fact they can pick up objects with them means their hooves have....

Spidermans clinging ability

They are spider ponies.

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 1

I always imagined they were like actual equine hooves, but had some magic "magnet" in them which allowed them to pick up and use things.

A magic magnet in their hooves? This is brilliant.  :comeatus:

Here is what I think; Mares & most stallions have softer hooves due to (for whatever reason) their coats covering their hooves. This creates a softer impact, but still produces the "clop clop clop" sound we hear when they are walking in silence. However larger stallions (I don't know why some have them this way & some don't outside of maybe just a way to show that these certain stallions hold a certain rank) have no coat covering, which gives them a harder but sturdier grip on dirt & the like. Also I would like to point out Celestia & Luna have shoe-like coverings on their feet. My guess is that this is to keep their hoof coats clean, & is some sort of royalty only tradition or what not

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

My guess (a bit like KokoraiNoSenshi's) is that they're just regular horse hooves, but covered in and molded to the same coat as the rest of the pony's body. 

• Brohoof 3

There's a point where, in cartoons, you just assume that certain physical traits are there but aren't present due to the simplistic nature of the art style, but in some cases, you just assume that how it looks is how it looks. Considering the fact that some ponies have visible hoves (like big mac), I think it's safe to assume that the ones that don't actually are how they appear in the show. The hoof part must be hard like normal hooves, with the layer of flesh (and or just the fur coat) covering it entirely (even the underside), for whatever reason.

There's a point where, in cartoons, you just assume that certain physical traits are there but aren't present due to the simplistic nature of the art style, but in some cases, you just assume that how it looks is how it looks. Considering the fact that some ponies have visible hoves (like big mac), I think it's safe to assume that the ones that don't actually are how they appear in the show. The hoof part must be hard like normal hooves, with the layer of flesh (and or just the fur coat) covering it entirely (even the underside), for whatever reason.

This

Also there could be microfibres on the fur covered hooves that allow for adhesion with other surfaces (though I personally subscribe to the tactile telekinesis theory) which allows the ponies to lift objects with a hoof and traverse terrain otherwize out of their range of mobility (like scaling walls and mountains, which horses outside of skyrim normally cannot do)

• Brohoof 2

They look squishy and hard at the same time. Like, they do clop-clop, but they also bend around stuff. Kinda like this:

Now THAT is neat. Whatever pony hooves are made of, it's probably stuff like this!

Their hooves are composed of the rare element Flashium, which allows them to have a surface that makes a clop noise even on other soft surfaces. It is also simultaneously soft due to it's shifting molecular structure allowing for prehensility when needed. It is widely suspected that some ponies may have evolved this trait beyond hooves, allowing them to contort their bodies, and even transmute other substances around them. IIRC Scientists have been observing one such specimen in the wild, a pink hued mare, who may have this rare attribute.

Yo Mr. White! Magic Pony Science

• Brohoof 3