Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Overhated/Overrated Games

A Black Circle

I honestly think the FNAF series, as a whole, is quite overhated. I'm not a fan of the games myself, but technically, they work and do what they're meant to do. Some of the complaints are understandable though, such as the jumpscares and lack of variety. 

Overrated:

Five Nights at Freddy's - It's basically nothing more than Night Trap with animatronics and cheap jumpscares. Not to mention, the controls are wonky, at least on the PC version.

Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask - I respect them for being innovative, but honestly, they haven't really aged well and can get quite boring, at least on the original N64 versions. I'll personally take Wind Waker and Link to the Past over 'em.

Overhated:

New Super Mario Bros series - Maybe not the most innovative games, but I still think they're well designed and quite fun to play.

Call of duty is defiantly overrated.

On the contrary I see it to be overhated and the fact that it tends to have low user score on Metacritic is evident of this. I make no claim that COD is best game that exist, however I think all main series COD games, except Ghosts (due to severe performance issues), are at least good games. But people complain about the lack of innovation then complain about innovation but always claim that COD never changes regardless of amount of change actually done. The reality is that people in general don't know what they want in COD. I also highly question people who keep saying things like this:

-Black Ops 2 is copying Halo

-Ghosts is copying Battlefield

-Advanced Warfare is copying Titanfall

-Black Ops 3 is copying Deus Ex

As long as game itself is decent I don't care. If we're honestly going to criticize games for supposedly stealing ideas like this then we should accuse all WW2 FPS games for copying Medal of Honor or even Wolfenstein.

• Brohoof 2

Minecraft: This does not deserve all the criticism it gets, don't be mad at the game because you can't figure out what to do with it. Do you even imagination?

This is what I tell people who hate LBP, Minecraft and other Open Sandbox/ DIY games, don't blame the developers and players, because you think it's "boring". You need to think and creative to play these games, Blame yourself.   

Edited by StarBot

Overhated - Sonic the Hedgehog 2006

I just dont get it  :ooh: I dont even get why i even have to defend this game, i dont even understand how it happened that this game is so hated.

I had fun playing it, a lot of Fun. From all the sonic games i played ( pretty much all the old 2d games, sonic heroes,shadow the hedgehog and Sonic Unleashed  ) this is my favorite sonic game.

The cut scenes have Final Fantasy Quality and just look fantastic  :pinkie: The gamplay is cool, the story is interesting and i also like the fact that this game has a more serious tone than any of the other games ( except shadow the hedgehog ) .

I also like the fact that you can play as Sonic, Shadow or Silver and explore a different part of the story and the time traveling is also a great idea.

Also characters like Eggman just look more realistic than in any of the other games and i was actually sad that Sonic Unleashed showed the characters more in a comic form instead of the Final Fantasy form of Sonic 2006.

Overrated - Grand Theft Auto...ALL OF THEM !

I dislike Grand Theft Auto.

Not only does the first 4 games ( gta 1, london 1969 and london 1961 and gta2 ) look and play like crap and the cutscenes and voice acting are practically a Joke ! They also have no Story line, the save system is horrible and the fact that you can simply beat this games by getting points from killing innocent people instead of doing anything mission related is just sad.

This games seems like they deserve to be on a worst games of all time list, seriously  :wacko:

Than they was Gta 3, again, no good cutscenes. Instead of featuring cinematic cutscenes like the Driver series did, they just used the ingame models to make the most ugly and cheap cutscenes they possibly could.

I dont even know if Gta 3 has a Story or not, but i played trough the first town and got bored, no motivation to play any further.

Then they are all those other games, which again have only cutscenes with ingame models and maybe they have better storys and missions but

i think the Rival " Driver " is a better Grand Theft Auto series than Grand Theft Auto could ever be.

Not only did Driver had much better looking cutscenes and storys with even their first games, they also created a 3D Gta game on the Ps1.

Driver was, what Gta should have been in the first place.

And even if Driver did the open3D World first, the series is still called a Gta Clone...im think Gta is more of a Driver Clone.

Gta just didnt had games as good as the first Driver games were and its sad that gta gets all the attention and good critics, because in a game were most people only buy it to create chaos and mayhem with cheats instead of doing anything storyrelated just cant be a good game.

I mean, nobody i know off plays it the way its supposed to be  :ooh:

Nobody cares about the story or missions...and that just shows how bad of a game the gta series actually is  :okiedokielokie:

Twilight Princess is so hated by the Zelda community

That is by far the strangest thing. I remember when Twilight Princess came out it was praised up and down. I had so many friends that talked about it like it was a Godsend. Then suddenly after Skyward Sword everyone I know is criticizing Twilight Princess, including the same people who thought it was amazing only a few years ago. What happened? How did people go from loving the game to hating it? This is a mystery that I still can't figure out to this day. Everyone's opinion on Twilight Princess just did a big 180...

I'm gonna say this like last time, but I'd say Dynasty Warriors is overhated. It has the similar issues as the CoD series(which I also think is more overhated than overrated nowadays), though DW gets more of the burnt of the criticism. Yeah, it hardly changes, and the game doesn't go much beyond "mash X to defeat hordes of enemies", but honestly? There's nothing wrong with that. Sometimes that's all you need. I don't need deep and complex game mechanics to enjoy a game. Sometimes I'm happier being one guy taking on an entire thousand man army.

Also I second everyone who says Twilight Princess is overhated. Loved that game when it came out and still think it's the best 3D Zelda yet

• Brohoof 1

This games seems like they deserve to be on a worst games of all time list, seriously  :wacko:

Stop there. Is valid to say that you dislike GTA series. However to say that the series is the worst of all time is a huge exaggeration. Related, people seem to often confuse disappointing and actually bad. I will list a some games that are more fitting as actual terrible games:

-Air Control

-Earth: Year 2066

-The Slaughtering Grounds

-Sonic Boom

-Anubis II

-Ride to Hell Retribution

-All shovelware games

-Many movie-based games

-All pay to win games

Edit: I'm surprised by number of people saying COD is overhated.

Edited by Luna the Great

Stop there. Is valid to say that you dislike GTA series. However to say that the series is the worst of all time is a huge exaggeration. Related, people seem to often confuse disappointing and actually bad. I will list a some games that are more fitting as actual terrible games:

No, i didnt meant the whole series.

I only meant the first 4 games in the series, Gta 1, the both London Games and Gta 2. Only this games should be in a list of worst games because of the strange camera perspective, the not so good graphics, the horrible cutscenes and voice acting, the absence of an real story in most of them, that you have to either pay a lot of ingame money to save or have to beat an entire town to safe and the fact that you get points by killing innocent people and that you literally can beat the game by doing so. You dont even need to play any of the missions or Story. ( if there really is a story :wacko:  )

Then i said : " And then there is Gta 3 " because beginning with Gta 3 the game series got a lot better.

And then i only said that most of the people i know dont even play this game because of the story or missions and that shows that the game series cant be that good.

It isnt the worst videogame series of all time, my point was that the first 4 games are horrible.

The rest of the Gta games are okay and fun. But not as good as Driver in my opinion.

This is fairly though, considering most games I play, I enjoy. But I suppose I can think of a few examples of games that have too much praise or too much hate.

Overrated

Goat Simulator - When I first got it, I thought it was going to be a hilarious game, based on what clips I saw on YouTube. What I got was a broken mess that I only laughed at for the first 5 minutes. I typically don't have a good sense of humor when it comes to media (even shows like MLP or GF typically only get a chuckle out of me), but I really felt this was an overrated game.

Assassin's Creed - When I first played the first AC game, I found it to be really boring, and almost like a chore to play. I'm normally a fan of these type of games (I mean Uncharted is one of my favorite franchises), but this was just so bland. I heard the next two games were similar to the first one, so I gave up on the franchise. Although Black Flag does look fun.

Pokemon - Many may disagree with me on this, but I personally feel Pokemon isn't as good as everyone says it is. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the franchise is bad. It does everything it should do, and that's great. But it's really just the same game every time, and unlike Mario, I don't see many new elements added (besides Mega Evolution and the new Fairy type, now that was a nice way to spice things up a bit). I mean, I haven't even finished the post-game for Omega Ruby, so it just goes to show how bored I got of the franchise.

Underrated

Minecraft - Sure, the fanbase may have some disliked people, but that's really just the loud minority. The same thing applies to the MLP fandom, really. A lot of people hate this fandom because of the loud minority. Anyways, Minecraft itself is a very solid game, and I can see why so many people love it.

Watch Dogs - Granted, this game was bit of a disappointment, I still enjoyed my time playing it and completing it 100%. Contrary to what people say, it isn't a flat out GTA clone. It may share some similar elements when it comes to driving, but that's the most I can really say. It's slower than GTA for one, and the arsenal of weapons is far shorter than GTA, and ammo is a lot more scarce. Plus it adds the hacking element, which was really fun. However, I do see why people dislike it, as the advertising made it seem like you could hack anything in the game, when in reality is was just a few objects.

Super Paper Mario - This is one of my favorite games of all time. Seriously, I just love this game, and I haven't played it in years. Everything about it is just so much fun and so likable, and the only reason why people hate this game is because it's different from it's predecessors.

Super Smash Bros Brawl - I may be a bit biased here, but I personally loved this game. Now I can understand why people dislike it, since it is far slower in comparison to Melee, but really I love this game. It might just be because of the Subspace Emissary, but still, this game is really underrated.

Overrated: I would have to say that a fairly overrated game would be Goat Simulator. I myself enjoy funny and intense glitches, but part of what makes them so funny is the fact that it was not intentional, and was out of place. All of the "funny glitches" in Goat Simulator are intentional, and, by definition, are not glitches. If you want a similar experience, just play any AAA game before the Day-One patches...

Underrated: Battletoads... Gamestop doesn't even have it. 

Edited by DATA EXPUNGED