Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Broken Horn Theory

Lemon Slices

Hey guys! Sup?

I was thinking for weeks about the Pinkie Pie abilities.

like: "Why the hell she can teleport to the other side of the screen or run miles in seconds?"

so, I've developed a theory about that.

My first theory says: "Pinkie Pie was an unicorn. In her childhood, had broken her horn in an accident. The wounds were healed, and the scar were hidden, under her big mane or something; But a piece of the horn still was inside her.

In the episodes, Pinkie Pie maybe didn't learn much spells, and the only ones were teleport or speed enhance. Her  horn piece is so small that the aura cant even be created.

The second theory is like the first, but instead of Pinkie having a piece of the broken horn inside her, that theory says that unicorns do not need horns to create magic. The horn have the aura-creation function -- For example, Discord do not create auras in his spells. So Pinkie Pie, hornless, but with the power of creating magic, she can only enhance her speed or teleport herself.

What do you think?

• Brohoof 1

if something like that was true I'm sure they would have mentioned it.

I think Pinkie Pie is just supposed to be weird, and it's a little over exaggerated to prove that point.

though it is said that all ponies have magic inside them, maybe Pinkie's magic is just stronger that the average earth pony?

Idk but it was to think about, I guess xD

• Brohoof 2

Look at the world these ponies inhabit.  We have some weird sh*t in Equestria.  Like Pinkie's weird-ass 6th Day pond.  And poison joke.  It's a land of magic.  Some of it's explainable, some of it's very mysterious.  We have a race of ponies with magical abilites.  I.e. unicorns.  Who's to say we couldn't end up with an anomaly, some sort of earth pony with some weird mix of unicorn blood or something, giving her some strange abilities?  Some she can control, others she can't.  Of course the short answer is that Pinkie is Pinkie.  But I enjoy analyzing and coming up with plausible explanations.  It makes the show more real and more fun for me.  I equate Pinkie to Tersa from the Black Jewels Trilogy--eccentric, brilliant, prophetic, ineffable, and everyone just accepts that she has some unexplainable powers.

Hey guys! Sup?

I was thinking for weeks about the Pinkie Pie abilities.

like: "Why the hell she can teleport to the other side of the screen or run miles in seconds?"

so, I've developed a theory about that.

My first theory says: "Pinkie Pie was an unicorn. In her childhood, had broken her horn in an accident. The wounds were healed, and the scar were hidden, under her big mane or something; But a piece of the horn still was inside her.

In the episodes, Pinkie Pie maybe didn't learn much spells, and the only ones were teleport or speed enhance. Her  horn piece is so small that the aura cant even be created.

The second theory is like the first, but instead of Pinkie having a piece of the broken horn inside her, that theory says that unicorns do not need horns to create magic. The horn have the aura-creation function -- For example, Discord do not create auras in his spells. So Pinkie Pie, hornless, but with the power of creating magic, she can only enhance her speed or teleport herself.

What do you think?

I believe horns are conduits, amplifiers or just a stable way of using magic.

I'm pretty sure they can channel magic through thier hooves (earth pony magic) so, yeah.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

My theory is slightly more esoteric.

She's the Element of Laughter. Unique among the Elements, Laughter allows her to be funny both within her world, and even project that ability out into the real world in a limited way. So she can do anything that a theoretical audience would find funny. She is Rule of Funny personified in bouncy, poofy-maned pink pony form.

I think Pinkie has just become such a carefree character that she has transcended the physical and magical boundries of equestria. She can do all these things because she has no care for anything thats stopping her, she just laughs it all off and goes for it, and somehow it just always comes together.. Thats my theory anyway, something like that. :P

She's the Element of Laughter. Unique among the Elements, Laughter allows her to be funny both within her world, and even project that ability out into the real world in a limited way.

Limited?! You think there's something limited about how funny Pinkie Pie can be?!

Limited?! You think there's something limited about how funny Pinkie Pie can be?!

Personally, I find her reputation as a fourth wall observer is a bit overstated. That's why she is "limited" in her influence on our world. In Equestria, she's only matched for humour by Rarity.

The second theory is like the first, but instead of Pinkie having a piece of the broken horn inside her, that theory says that unicorns do not need horns to create magic.

It's deeper than that: ponies do not need to be unicorns to be magic. This has been widely believed for some time, and as of the season 4 finale, has become part of the canon.

Pinkie is a pony. Ergo, she is magic. No unicorns required.

Now it is true that unicorn magic tends to be expressed in a more obvious way than pegasus and earth pony magic. And in some ways Pinkie's magic seems more unicorn-like than earth-pony-like. (Though she can't cause, say, levitation.)

The best explanation I have is that she has a lot of unicorn DNA in her genetics - not quite enough to manifest in a horn growing out of her skull, but enough to give her almost unicorn-like magic. The different pony tribes do appear to be able to interbreed (though it's not common.) Perhaps Pinkie has a unicorn for one of her grandparents?

• Brohoof 1

I partially agree with this theory. Heck, Pinkie Pie might have an entire universe inside that infinite mane of hers... which also shows that she's the most irrational pony on the show and she ain't need no rules  :lol:

Are either of her parents unicorns? I can't remember :/

But Mr and Mrs Cake aren't unicorns and look at their children doing all sorts of dark magic being unicorns and pegasi!

I partially agree with this theory. Heck, Pinkie Pie might have an entire universe inside that infinite mane of hers... which also shows that she's the most irrational pony on the show and she ain't need no rules  :lol:

But Mr and Mrs Cake aren't unicorns and look at their children doing all sorts of dark magic being unicorns and pegasi!

Mr and mrs cake have Pegasus and unicorn relatives though. Wait... That means pinkie might as well! I support this theory! It's just mad enough to be true!

• Brohoof 1

mlfw710_130338963460.png

You guys are kidding right?..we all know the true answer to your question of why Pinkie can do the things Pinkie can do.  :maud:

screw_the_rules__by_zaikersonic42-d4p3ff

You should now know that Pinkie has no limits, rules do not apply to her when she sees fit, baring the narrative.  :maud:  

• Brohoof 3

I will just leave it to the concept of "cartoon physics" and fourth-wall-breaking shenanigans. Remember, even Twilight, with all the fancy equipment she kept in the basement of the old Golden Oaks Library, her intricate knowledge of magic and science, and her tendency to reject any "illogical" theories, gave up on trying to understand Pinkie's abilities. Trying to explain how Pinkie Pie's "powers" work is akin, in my view, to dividing by zero.

I doubt she's a pseudo-unicorn or anything like that. Pinkie Pie is Pinkie Pie because she is Pinkie Pie, 'nuff said.

Edited by skbl17
  • Brohoof 1

No need to, the Cakes are both earth ponies and their babies are a unicorn and a pegasus.

Wowowowowow, dude, wait a sec.

The Cakes aren't her parents. This were well-explained in the "Cutie Mark Chronicles", I guess. She is a daughter of the Pies, and worked in the rock farm.

Wowowowowow, dude, wait a sec.

The Cakes aren't her parents. This were well-explained in the "Cutie Mark Chronicles", I guess. She is a daughter of the Pies, and worked in the rock farm.

Who said that the Cakes were Pinkie's parents? I was talking about Pumpkin Cake and Pound Cake as an example!

Edited by RainbowMau