Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are some people superior to others?

lelouch.

64 users have voted

1. 1. Are some people superior to others?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm confused now
    • I'd prefer not to answer

I don't like the notion of everyone is equal. That doesn't mean i'm racist in a way - just an objective outlook on life.

Through having various gifts and quirks, a person can achieve greatness over their peers - the way they go about it is their own choice. Let's face it, some people are just better at certain things than others - that makes them literally superior to others.

That being said, human life shouldn't be given a value - i think even the worst of the worst can turn and surprise you. It's just sad that some don't.

You could say that even though it's not realistic, most people benefit from the pretense that we are all equals but we all have room for improvement. In that sense we are all inferior to our potential.

I say it depends on what you are looking for in the persons. Strength, knowledge, swiftness, loyalty, etc. We all have strengths and weaknesses that both better and make us worse compared to others.

As for human rights, we all aim to be equal. Though in today's world, we are far from. 

• Brohoof 1

I try not to think like that. So i voted no. I think its more important to try to work together, that as a whole is more important than thinking who is better or who can be the best. But there is nothing wrong in trying your best at the things you wanna do :D

Edited by ShintX
  • Brohoof 2

genetically and potentially, no, no one is. With determination you can build yourself up from the slums.

some people are more fit or smarter, which would make them superior to those who are obese and lethargic, or those who aren't very bright, but if those people were to change their way of living they could be on the same level as them and no longer be inferior.

I try not to think like that. So i voted no. I think its more important to try to work together, that as a whole is more important than thinking who is better or who can be the best. But there is nothing wrong in trying your best at the things you wanna do :D

The only thing that can give any human the illusion of superiority is survival, and our species would not have conquered the planet if it were not for our powers of cooperation. If we fail to cooperate, we will all be equal in our extinction.

• Brohoof 2

Okay so I'm confused now. are some people superior to others? or are all people equal?

some people work harder than the rest. some are born weak, others are born in better conditions. some reach for the stars, while others prefer being drunk in an alleyway in their free time. some people dedicate their lives to making people happy, while others do everything to make others miserable. some are happy with what they have, while others want more and take what they want. the strong feed upon the weak, while some strong prefer giving to the weak. in both cases, there are strong and weak people.

can a human life be given value? if a random guy gets killed no one bats an eye... a poitician gets killed and everyone loses their mind. if everyone matters, why dont all people have the same level of protection? why does everyone have the same rights when everyone's status is miles apart? should people strive to become more? should they try to elevate themselves? or should they stay how they are.

i dont have any opinions really.. just confused, although i pick the first option in the poll. i wanted to hear what other people say, i since i dont wanna talk about this irl, this is the perfect place to look for opinions.

People are superior to others in certain aspects, yes.

However, just because they are superior in a particular trait doesn't make them a better person to someone else and those lacking it shouldn't be judged as less worthy simply because they aren't superior to others in said aspect.

And the superior have no more right to force the less talented or intelligent to be beneath them and be imposed to their will than those who are lacking their traits to hold them down.  

Edited by MetaKnight145
  • Brohoof 1

I think there is no inherent difference between anyone. There are various factors that bring positive change and influence but they are all shells that people use to hide from others. Think about a shelled animal like a clam. Political power is just a shell. Career is just a shell. Education, skills, family, even things like "race", "sex" and "gender" are all shells. Strip them all away and find that people are all the same. It does happen. A king might be seen as superior until his kingdom is no more then he ends up in obscurity. There are people with high degrees that flip burgers and work as mechanics. The economy is what really matters, not their skills or education. The strongest and fastest men and women are not faster than a single rifle projectile that costs less than one US dollar. And when one gets into genes then one gets into Hitler territory of fantasizing oneself as belonging to a superior group of people. That sort of thought still lives on at the expense of peace and equality arounhd the world.

• Brohoof 1

I know a lot of people out there don't like it, but there are people out there that superior to you. Nor are we all born equal. It sucks, but it's true. Just another hard fact of life.

If a baby is born with a disease of some mental or physical affliction, that baby is not born equal to a baby that was born healthy. If you see a homeless person on the street that person is not equal to you. Yes he is human, however the choices he made or were made for him make him lesser than you in todays society. That is just how it is. There is a reason why there are classes of people everyone.

Edited by NoodleBrony
  • Brohoof 1

Superiority to me is not logic based and so therefore is always opinionated. As a result, I don't believe there is a 'true' superiority or inferiority at all, but there are many takes on a moral or opinionated superiority, none of which have any logical value to me.

Edited by Sanctified Absence

No. One human may be smarter than another and another human may he stronger than another, but there is no such thing as a perfect human. It's not obtainable. Therefore, there's no justifiable reason for one person to be superior to another. We each have our strengths and weaknesses, and only through a combination of those strengths and weaknesses can we strive for a more perfect society.

Depends on what attributes you're looking at. Money? Definitely. Social status? Most definitely. Intelligence? Sure. Skin colour? Preference. Cultural/Social values? Preference.

This is a very deep and intricate question, and honestly I contemplate it myself a lot. Especially as someone who has low self esteem and self worth.

But I think overall my personal belief is that we all have the ability to be just as good as anyone else, but it's whether we utilize that ability, many of us never reach our full capacity as people, and some do better than others, but a lot of that simply has to do I believe from some people working harder on something than others, and some just believing in themselves more, some having more passion, and various other things.

I also kind of think as people sort of like characters in RPG's. I think everyone has basically ability points or something, and we have the same amount, it's just that we all have those points divided up differently, some of us are better in math for instance, while others in science, some better at sports naturally, ect.

But I also think that while you may be naturally gifted at something, there is no substitute for hard work, so if someone with natural talent doesn't work, they won't be able to always best someone who does work.

And again there is the realizing your potential stuff too.

All of this sort of makes up my personal belief more or less on the question currently, but honestly, I don't entirely understand the answer myself, and I don't think anyone does entirely, just because of the deep nature of the question. But it can be interesting to think about regardless.

One things for sure, you can really surprise yourself at what you can do when you truly set your mind to it.

• Brohoof 1

There are people superior to others.  There are those who are wealthy, powerful and those who are both wealthy and powerful.  All men may have been created equal but not all men remain so.  When it comes to upper people having the right to devour those below them, they probably shouldn't but considering they can is what makes them superior.

exactly. they shouldn't, but the very fabrics of this world consist of it. stronger animals eat weaker ones. its not just us humans, but all nature itself. and what are rights anyways? we dont see rights being respected daily anyways. rights were made by us humans, and not by a vote. they dont have any meaning when we see it that way. in the end, the only truth is power, and those without it perish.

The real Lelouch vi Brittania would probably say no. Personally I'm a bit conflicted. If by "devour" you mean violate their rights and wellbeing then obviously no.

haha dont confuse me with lelouch. the only thing i like about him is his name.

yes, i do mean violate their rights. and the answer just isnt obvious, thats the whole problem. who is their to tell the top of the food chain that he's wrong. hes the one who makes the rules, and there are and were always those to obey the ruler no matter what he ordered. the only ones who rebel are the victims. as long as people recieve food they are happy. food is simply a metaphor.

This is a very deep and intricate question, and honestly I contemplate it myself a lot. Especially as someone who has low self esteem and self worth.

But I think overall my personal belief is that we all have the ability to be just as good as anyone else, but it's whether we utilize that ability, many of us never reach our full capacity as people, and some do better than others, but a lot of that simply has to do I believe from some people working harder on something than others, and some just believing in themselves more, some having more passion, and various other things.

I also kind of think as people sort of like characters in RPG's. I think everyone has basically ability points or something, and we have the same amount, it's just that we all have those points divided up differently, some of us are better in math for instance, while others in science, some better at sports naturally, ect.

But I also think that while you may be naturally gifted at something, there is no substitute for hard work, so if someone with natural talent doesn't work, they won't be able to always best someone who does work.

And again there is the realizing your potential stuff too.

All of this sort of makes up my personal belief more or less on the question currently, but honestly, I don't entirely understand the answer myself, and I don't think anyone does entirely, just because of the deep nature of the question. But it can be interesting to think about regardless.

One things for sure, you can really surprise yourself at what you can do when you truly set your mind to it.

yes :) i completely agree with you. there is no substitute for hard work. if we set our mind upon a single goal, we can accomplish it. even our body and brain mutates in order to resonate with our requirements. what trouble me is that whether someone who goes so far with his thing has the right to deprive others of what they have. if they cant stop him, whos right or wrong? who sets the rules? of course we all are going to say that its the wrong thing to do because we're in the lower end of the system, but to someone who is in a position from where he can manipulate, who tells him that he's wrong? im sure he can come up with lots of reasons to defend his actions (not that he would need to )

• Brohoof 1

exactly. they shouldn't, but the very fabrics of this world consist of it. stronger animals eat weaker ones. its not just us humans, but all nature itself. and what are rights anyways? we dont see rights being respected daily anyways. rights were made by us humans, and not by a vote. they dont have any meaning when we see it that way. in the end, the only truth is power, and those without it perish.

yes, i do mean violate their rights. and the answer just isnt obvious, thats the whole problem. who is their to tell the top of the food chain that he's wrong. hes the one who makes the rules, and there are and were always those to obey the ruler no matter what he ordered. the only ones who rebel are the victims. as long as people recieve food they are happy. food is simply a metaphor.

Are you trying to assert that might makes right? Because that type of morality is what has held our species back for so long. It is the ability of human beings to cooperate and reason that has allowed us to advance and create a civilization. People who violate the rights of others and act like brutes are generally not well respected in society, that's why we call them criminals and tyrants and condemn them for their actions. Rights were created by humans as an expression of their desire for freedom and justice, I find it very arrogant for anyone to brush this off and say they're irrelevant just because people want them.

Power is a reality yes, but to limit human relationship to that is to assume that we are not rational beings but simply beasts walking the earth. It's primitive and idiotic thinking.

The fact that this is not ideal should be obvious if you have any sense of rational ethics. Anyone who has to bully or steal from others is simply admitting that they don't have the capacity to produce anything of worth on their own or are too lazy or cowardly to put in the effort.

While it is true that most people are willing to except extraordinary suffering and dictatorship as part of their existence. Most rebellions and revolutions have only come as a result of years upon years of buildup, involve massive conflict, are not often successful and can leave a nation in a worse state than it was before. The French Revolution and the Syrian civil war are both prime examples. I'll also say that uprisings are not necessarily the work of "victims", the American Civil War was not a result of slaves revolting but of a morally charged and socio-economic conflict between the northern and southern states.

While some people may be superior to others in certain ways that does not necessitate that those who are inferior are worthless or deserve to be treated as such. Perhaps you feel like you should have no rights and that anyone who is stronger than you should have the right to treat you any way they want? Have fun with that.

Edited by Roughshod
  • Brohoof 1

Okay so I'm confused now. are some people superior to others? or are all people equal?

some people work harder than the rest. some are born weak, others are born in better conditions. some reach for the stars, while others prefer being drunk in an alleyway in their free time. some people dedicate their lives to making people happy, while others do everything to make others miserable. some are happy with what they have, while others want more and take what they want. the strong feed upon the weak, while some strong prefer giving to the weak. in both cases, there are strong and weak people.

can a human life be given value? if a random guy gets killed no one bats an eye... a poitician gets killed and everyone loses their mind. if everyone matters, why dont all people have the same level of protection? why does everyone have the same rights when everyone's status is miles apart? should people strive to become more? should they try to elevate themselves? or should they stay how they are.

i dont have any opinions really.. just confused, although i pick the first option in the poll. i wanted to hear what other people say, i since i dont wanna talk about this irl, this is the perfect place to look for opinions.

It's kind of sad,because when I voted, majority said yes.

• Brohoof 1

Are you trying to assert that might makes right? Because that type of morality is what has held our species back for so long. It is the ability of human beings to cooperate and reason that has allowed us to advance and create a civilization. People who violate the rights of others and act like brutes are generally not well respected in society, that's why we call them criminals and tyrants and condemn them for their actions. Rights were created by humans as an expression of their desire for freedom and justice, I find it very arrogant for anyone to brush this off and say they're irrelevant just because people want them.

yes, i am trying to assert that might makes right. and no, it hasnt held our species back. its the very thinking which drove us forward. humans in general dont cooperate much. there have always been superior people to hold their hand and take them along. for what base ends is not what im discussing here. im not talking about the average school bully here. lets look at hitler now. we all love to hate him, right? but at that time, all of the nazis(well, many of them) supported him in the killing of the jews. he wasnt hated for being a bully back then. it would be disrespectful of you to suggest that each and every supporter had no sense of morality whatsoever. there have been many, many incidences in history in which acts of tyranny have been fully supported. and for that matter, even bronies are disliked by the general   public. would you say that bronies are criminals or bad people? or are the haters bad people? no, they hate bronies due to a lack  of understanding, and due to the fact because it is socially accepted to hate bronies.

and in any case, this is what has brought humanity where it is. the will for competition, and the will to dominate the market is he reason why we get better smartphones each year. it is why students aim to be the best they can. it is the reason for so many advances in technology. maybe these advances might have been made without conflict, but i doubt it, and we wont find out anyways.

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights

This, and all other human rights are illusions created to stop the population from protesting all the time. how many human rights do we see being broken everyday? its almost to the point where it seems these rights dont even exist when the government chooses otherwise.

Power is a reality yes, but to limit human relationship to that is to assume that we are not rational beings but simply beasts walking the earth. It's primitive and idiotic thinking.

please, no insults. i never said human relationship was limited to power. there is also love and friendship, without which suicide rates would have been much higher. but power is... well more powerful.

The fact that this is not ideal should be obvious if you have any sense of rational ethics. Anyone who has to bully or steal from others is simply admitting that they don't have the capacity to produce anything of worth on their own or are too lazy or cowardly to put in the effort.

You're assuming too much here. not all people do  stuff because theyre too lazy or cowardly. they may be a lot more hard working and braver than most.

While it is true that most people are willing to except extraordinary suffering and dictatorship as part of their existence. Most rebellions and revolutions have only come as a result of years upon years of buildup, involve massive conflict, are not often successful and can leave a nation in a worse state than it was before. The French Revolution and the Syrian civil war are both prime examples. I'll also say that uprisings are not necessarily the work of "victims", the American Civil War was not a result of slaves revolting but of a morally charged and socio-economic conflict between the northern and southern states.

While some people may be superior to others in certain ways that does not necessitate that those who are inferior are worthless or deserve to be treated as such. Perhaps you feel like you should have no rights and that anyone who is stronger than you should have the right to treat you any way they want? Have fun with that.

anyone inferior has the ability to become superior. and if someone chooses to leave themselves in that state, then they will be eaten. there are people who sympathise, but then there are also people who dont. and when someone falls into the wrong hands, its over. i dont feel like i shouldnt have rights. no one does. but its not what we feel that makes this earth spin. but i admit, if i suffer at the hands of someone, its my fault for being weak. as it is for everyone. look, im sure we're good people, both of us. lets keep the argument just here in this thread where it belongs.. and not judge each other by this discussion.

It's kind of sad,because when I voted, majority said yes.

why did you vote for "no"? just asking to know what youre thinking.

yes, i am trying to assert that might makes right. and no, it hasnt held our species back. its the very thinking which drove us forward. humans in general dont cooperate much. there have always been superior people to hold their hand and take them along. for what base ends is not what im discussing here. im not talking about the average school bully here. lets look at hitler now. we all love to hate him, right? but at that time, all of the nazis(well, many of them) supported him in the killing of the jews. he wasnt hated for being a bully back then. it would be disrespectful of you to suggest that each and every supporter had no sense of morality whatsoever. there have been many, many incidences in history in which acts of tyranny have been fully supported. and for that matter, even bronies are disliked by the general public. would you say that bronies are criminals or bad people? or are the haters bad people? no, they hate bronies due to a lack of understanding, and due to the fact because it is socially accepted to hate bronies.

and in any case, this is what has brought humanity where it is. the will for competition, and the will to dominate the market is he reason why we get better smartphones each year. it is why students aim to be the best they can. it is the reason for so many advances in technology. maybe these advances might have been made without conflict, but i doubt it, and we wont find out anyways.

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights

This, and all other human rights are illusions created to stop the population from protesting all the time. how many human rights do we see being broken everyday? its almost to the point where it seems these rights dont even exist when the government chooses otherwise.

please, no insults. i never said human relationship was limited to power. there is also love and friendship, without which suicide rates would have been much higher. but power is... well more powerful.

You're assuming too much here. not all people do stuff because theyre too lazy or cowardly. they may be a lot more hard working and braver than most.

anyone inferior has the ability to become superior. and if someone chooses to leave themselves in that state, then they will be eaten. there are people who sympathise, but then there are also people who dont. and when someone falls into the wrong hands, its over. i dont feel like i shouldnt have rights. no one does. but its not what we feel that makes this earth spin. but i admit, if i suffer at the hands of someone, its my fault for being weak. as it is for everyone. look, im sure we're good people, both of us. lets keep the argument just here in this thread where it belongs.. and not judge each other by this discussion.

why did you vote for "no"? just asking to know what youre thinking.

Ironically I voted for yes.
  • Brohoof 1