Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ouija Boards?

focus.alex

Ouija boards work based on belief.

Basically, if you believe that the board works, then, while you're concentrated, you'll snap into a trance and move the pieces by yourself. Then, when you wake up from the trance, you have no idea it was you who moved the pieces.

It works even if you don't believe it works, because it's mostly controlled by your subconscious. If you have even a tiny drop of wanting to believe that the board works, then it will work.

The stories about contacting little girls that were murdered always happen because that's something that is planted in your subconscious. That means when your subconscious takes control  of your body and goes to move the pieces, it makes it sound like a little girl that was murdered because that's what your subconscious was taught to associate Ouija board with.

Or, if you're trying to speak with a long dead family member, the things that show up are usually the things that your subconscious wanted the dead person to say the most. It's kinda edgy to understand how that works because your conscious mind may think something while your subconscious may think something entirely different.

That's basically how Ouija boards work. It's more like a self-hypnosis and letting your subconscious speak.

• Brohoof 3

We used to have a roommate that one of those things

She moved out, a lot of her stuff ended up stored in a spare room and apparently that thing remained stored in it. 

There ended up being 3-5 random fire scares before the building eventually burnt down... not sure if I'd affiliate it with that thing though, but one has to wonder

• Brohoof 2

Well, I'm pretty sure they're for talking to demons.

Since I'm a dedicated Christian: NO! No Weegee Board!

Ouija boards work based on belief.

Basically, if you believe that the board works, then, while you're concentrated, you'll snap into a trance and move the pieces by yourself. Then, when you wake up from the trance, you have no idea it was you who moved the pieces.

It works even if you don't believe it works, because it's mostly controlled by your subconscious. If you have even a tiny drop of wanting to believe that the board works, then it will work.

The stories about contacting little girls that were murdered always happen because that's something that is planted in your subconscious. That means when your subconscious takes control of your body and goes to move the pieces, it makes it sound like a little girl that was murdered because that's what your subconscious was taught to associate Ouija board with.

Or, if you're trying to speak with a long dead family member, the things that show up are usually the things that your subconscious wanted the dead person to say the most. It's kinda edgy to understand how that works because your conscious mind may think something while your subconscious may think something entirely different.

That's basically how Ouija boards work. It's more like a self-hypnosis and letting your subconscious speak.

I'm not doubting you or anything, but where'd ya learn that? I'm interested to know...
  • Brohoof 1

Well, I'm pretty sure they're for talking to demons.

Since I'm a dedicated Christian: NO! No Weegee Board!

I'm not doubting you or anything, but where'd ya learn that? I'm interested to know...

It's been so long that I've learned it that I don't really remember. I just remember reading something about it. (I also got into hypnosis, which made it easier for me to explain all that. :P)

• Brohoof 1

Ive played countless times with my friends, however, half the time its just one asshole who moves the planchette around themselves to scare everyone. 

Just one? Usually more than one actually. And you're probably one of them, even if you don't realise it. It's an ideomotor response. That is, the participants move the planchette without intending to do so, and without even realizing they're doing it.

When Ouija boards were first sold, they were as toys intended as a fun way of showing this effect. It wasn't until decades later that their use became associated with ghosts and the occult.

• Brohoof 1

I only had one opportunity in the past to use a ouija board, and... hehehehe oh gahd its funny just thinking about it, me and my skittish lil' friend here I got totally convinced that the ghosts are totally gonna get us unless we give them.....MARSHMALLOWS. FUCKING. MARSHMALLOWS. Meaningless to say, the board didn't do jack shit, but my.... convincing words sure got us far :)

Oh gahd this is STILL funny.... 

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't poke a ouija board with a stick. I'm still not sure if I really believe they work, as there are so many ways you can use them to trick yourself into thinking something's happening when it's not. However, I've heard way too many stories I can't explain revolving around the use of ouija boards, so it's just not something I'm willing to risk. 

I do believe in ghosts and such, one of the reasons being I've had multiple personal experiences that prove to me the existence of such things. Using a ouija board is basically giving whatever the hell happens to be within your vicinity at the time (if anything) permission to influence your world. I can think of many ways in which that could go horribly wrong, and according to many stories I've heard it has. 

Even if ouija boards are complete BS and all stories I've heard about them are just that, stories, it's still not worth the risk. Potentially giving some angry spirit the power to harm me or influence my world for the sake of some sort of entertainment doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

• Brohoof 1

I do believe in ghosts and such, one of the reasons being I've had multiple personal experiences that prove to me the existence of such things. Using a ouija board is basically giving whatever the hell happens to be within your vicinity at the time (if anything) permission to influence your world. I can think of many ways in which that could go horribly wrong, and according to many stories I've heard it has. 

"prove" is the wrong word, here.

There is no proof.

There are a lot of ways in which the human mind can be tricked into thinking that it saw some paranormal stuff. 

• Brohoof 1

Ouija boards are so funny and adorable hasbro could make something more scarier than them maybe even fisher price could

It's funny you should say this. The Ouija trademark and concept is owned by Parker Brothers (who also own the rights to Monopoly, Cluedo, Risk, and many other board games), who are owned by, guess who... Hasbro!

• Brohoof 3

I don't believe that they work. 

Besides, even if they did, allowing a ghost to use your body as a means of communication is asking just asking for more malevolent possessions later on. 

Edited by Indigo Racing

• 3 weeks later...

Being pagan, I believe that anything can be used in supernatural experiences. And Ouija boards have a tradition of attracting some pretty nasty, or at least grumpy, spirits. I've never felt any good energy when it comes to them, and since I had a friend who was possessed once and had to be exorcised, I keep as far away from Ouija boards, just in case. They give me a bad feeling, and I'm not missing out on anything by avoiding them, so I do. 

I hate them. So scary! You know with all the stories around on the internet. I'd never play them, not even for a dare.  :(

I think that they're full of shit.

I have never, and will never touch a Ouija board.

I think they're cool, but I've never had experience with one because apparently they are against my religion.

A a devoted and baptized Christian, I will never, ever touch a Satanic tool like that. I've heard very scary true stories involving the Ouija board and they scared the life out of me knowing that those were true stories!

The truth is that Satan and his demons are involved with stuff like the Ouija board. Satan wants no more than to get rid of every being on Planet Earth using pure evil.

Edited by Jonny Music