Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Rarity the only native-Ponyvillian in the Mane 6?

RainbowMau

Let's recap:

- Twilight was born in Canterlot

- Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were born in Cloudsdale

- Applejack is from Sweet Apple Acres which has it's distance from Ponyville (unless she was born in Ponyville hospital)

- Pinkie Pie was born in a farm (which apparently is closer to Cloudsdale since Pinkie saw Rainbow Dash doing the Sonic-Rainboom)

So? Is Rarity the only one since she said she was born in Ponyville?

• Brohoof 4

Out of the mane 6, then Rarity seems to be the only one born in Ponyville, however it all depends whether or not you count Sweet Apple Acres as a part of Ponyville, which it doesn't seem to be. 

GwPSfFNpjeQ.jpg

Or it at least appears a fair distance away. 

• Brohoof 5

- Applejack is from Sweet Apple Acres which has it's distance from Ponyville (unless she was born in Ponyville hospital)

Isn't Sweet Apple Acres stationed within Ponyville? It's just a business inside of the town that needs its own private land.

To put it in perspective, it's like saying the train station on the edge of Ponyville isn't within Ponyville either.

• Brohoof 7

Isn't Sweet Apple Acres stationed within Ponyville? It's just a business inside of the town that needs its own private land.

To put it in perspective, it's like saying the train station on the edge of Ponyville isn't within Ponyville either.

In Family Appreciation day it seems to be further from Ponyville, also in the game you have to take a train to go from Ponyville to SAA (not canon, but you get the idea  :P  )

• Brohoof 1

I don't see anything to suggest that Sweet Apple Acres is its own town. I live in a town that has a huge suburban aspect to it, but at the edge of town there are acres and acres of cow pastures. It is still part of my town. No, Sweet Apple Acres is on the outskirts of Ponyville and part of Ponyville. 

• Brohoof 9

In Family Appreciation day it seems to be further from Ponyville, also in the game you have to take a train to go from Ponyville to SAA (not canon, but you get the idea  :P  )

If it's not canon, then it doesn't really count. Every time we've seen Sweet Apple Acres in the show, it has always appeared to be close enough to be a simple walk away from the main town of Ponyville. Heck, Fluttershy isn't that fast a flyer and her and Rainbow Dash managed to reach Sweet Apple Acres from her cottage within the span of an hour (at least, so much is implied, as they were trying to get there at the crack of dawn before the selling of cider opened).

• Brohoof 2

I grew up in a really small town.  As in Ponyville, there were working farms just outside of town.  In episode 1 (among others) Twilight walks out to the farm from town.  Apple Bloom goes to school there & apparently walks.  It can't be THAT far

I would say it depends on "What do you call native?"  AJ's farm is almost certainly very close, but it is equally certain that it is outside of the city limits.  Thus, strictly, "no, she ain't".  But, I'd bet that if you asked, she'd say she was a native & if you told her "technically, you are not" she'd get annoyed at you for lawyering.

I'm also a little unclear as to how close the Pie farm is.  Since Pinkie has a little sister who doesn't seem to go to school in Ponyville, I'll go with "It's too far for Pinkie to count as a native."

• Brohoof 1

Didn't Granny Smith FOUND Ponyville? I'd think Applejack would be considered a native Ponyvillian. Sweet Apple Acres is probably integral to Ponyville's economy.

• Brohoof 3

Sweet Apple Acres is in the rural outskirts of Ponyville. Many towns are like this. You have business and residential making up the core and the sorounding areas they use all that space for farmland. Ever been to Toronto? Leave the city, you'll see no shortage of farmland to supply and fund the main hub. There's Toronto itself and the greater Toronto area. Small communities and farmlands run by the same government.

• Brohoof 2

Applejack is also from Ponyville, Sweet Apple Acres is pretty much the reason that Ponyville exists so I'd say that it's part of it... Apple Bloom goes to school there and it's probably where they sell most of their stuff after all.

So, yeah Rarity and Applejack. :wacko:

• Brohoof 3

Agree. Sweet Apple Acres is defiantly part of Ponyville. No SAA, no Ponyville. Because of the great Granny Smith. However, the show did not mention where Rarity came from (at least from what I can remember.) So, I would like to believe she was born in Ponyville but due to the lack of evidence I don't want to make false assumptions.

• Brohoof 1

Out of the mane 6, then Rarity seems to be the only one born in Ponyville, however it all depends whether or not you count Sweet Apple Acres as a part of Ponyville, which it doesn't seem to be. 

img-3322302-1-GwPSfFNpjeQ.jpg

Or it at least appears a fair distance away. 

SAA looks like is suburb of Ponyville, but there doesn't seems to be many more farms around that area, so, I think SAA is part of Ponyville

• Brohoof 1

Pinkie Rarity and Applejack are the only 3 of the Mane 6 born in Ponyville.

Pinkie was born on the Rock Farm, Applejack born on sweet apple acres, and Rarity.. Well who knows..

Explanation to the 3, Starting with Pinkie. As someone said The Rock Farm is stationed somewhere near Cloudsdale and considering Cloudsdale is a floating city above Ponyville it comes to the assumption that Pinkie Pie in fact was born in the residence of Ponyville, I mean come on.. how do you think the Pie's ate food. Apple Jack's Granny; Granny Smith is part of the family that founded Ponyville, this is revealed in the Episode "Family Appreciation Day" Season 2, Episode 12. Being the first people to create Ponyville the generation would pass on and Apple Jack would be born in Ponyville. Rarity.. Well in several episodes Rarity is show as a little filly making dresses for a school production or play granting the theory that if she was in Ponyville while she was a filly she would most likely be born there as well. And well.. in "Sweet and Elite" Season 2, Episode 9 Rarity mentions that she was in fact born in Ponyville.

Hope I helped clear things up!

Cheers,

• Brohoof 1

- Pinkie Pie was born in a farm (which apparently is closer to Cloudsdale since Pinkie saw Rainbow Dash doing the Sonic-Rainboom)

First of all, when Filly Pinkie saw the rainbow that caused her to smile, she didn't know it was from Rainbow Dash's Sonic-Rainboom. Even by the time of the Young Fliers Competition (Episode: Sonic Rainboom), she said "I've never seen one before", because at the time, she didn't know the rainbow and the Rainboom were one and the same until Dash made the dive to save Rarity and made the second Rainboom of her life.

I agree with those saying that because Granny Smith was among those who founded Ponyville, Sweet Apple Acres in a part of Ponyville, so A.J. should be considered born in Ponyville. So my answer to the topic's question of "Is Rarity the only native Ponyvillian in the Mane 6" is NO.

Funny how the suffix, "-Villian", meaning "some citizen of a village", can easily be mistaken for the word, "Villain", meaning "an antagonist that opposes our heroes".

• Brohoof 1

Well, the definition of town is a bit wonky, as in different regions define what it is differently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_town

In New England, our county governments barely even exist, we don't even have county governments in 2 states and in most of Massachusetts. Territory of the towns divide up the states entirely, as in when you leave one town you are immediatly entering another, even if there is nothing but woods and hills where you are currently crossing.

So if Ponyville is like that, then yes, Sweet Apple acres is in Ponyville.

Edited by Zoraxe
  • Brohoof 2

First of all, when Filly Pinkie saw the rainbow that caused her to smile, she didn't know it was from Rainbow Dash's Sonic-Rainboom. Even by the time of the Young Fliers Competition (Episode: Sonic Rainboom), she said "I've never seen one before", because at the time, she didn't know the rainbow and the Rainboom were one and the same until Dash made the dive to save Rarity and made the second Rainboom of her life.

That's not the point! The real point here is that if it RD was there then it may mean that Pinkie's home was closer to Cloudsdale than from Ponyville.

Edited by RainbowMau

Was it ever said that Fluttershy was from Cloudsdale? She always struck me as a pegasus who was born and raised on the ground and thus had a hard time getting used to heights, let alone flying. And Sweet Apple Acres was the genesis for Ponyville, so of course it's a part of the town.

As for Rarity, I actually always thought her and her family moved to Ponyville from Vanhoover (or somewhere else very Canadian).

@@CITRUS KING46,

Why? Rarity doesn't seem particularly Canadian to me. Her accent is so-called "mid-Atlantic" (American, but fancy). But her parents sound mid-western.

They sound Canadian to me, but they could be from Horse Fargo for all I know. What I do know is that no one else in town sounds like they are from Horse Fargo.

I have a headcanon where Rarity was born and spent her very early years in whatever town her parents are from, and she had that same accent and mannerism. That is, until she visited Canterlot and got a taste of that high society at a young, impressionable age, which led to an interest in fashion and to her adopting the Audrey Hepburn accent. That persona is something she built for herself.

Sweetie Belle sounds normal because she was born and raised in Ponyville.

• Brohoof 1