Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Rarity the only native-Ponyvillian in the Mane 6?

RainbowMau

Family Appreciation Day seemed to make it pretty clear that the town of Ponyville was founded as a direct result of other ponies living in the vicinity of Sweet Apple Acres, so it's safe to say that Sweet Apple Acres is a part of Ponyville and that Applejack is also a native Ponyvillian.
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Actually from Granny Smith's own historical recollection, The Apple Family were among the Founders of Ponyville:

Granny Smith describes the founding of Ponyville to a class of foals in the episode Family Appreciation Day. She recounts how when she was just a filly,her family were pilgrims and made a living by "collecting new seeds and sellin' the old." When they came to CanterlotPrincess Celestia granted the Apple Family land near the Everfree Forest, where Granny Smith and her family planted their first orchard. Granny Smith describes how they soon ran out of food because "an orchard don't grow overnight." One night, she ventured into the Everfree Forest by herself to look for food. She discovered "the most incredible" apple trees that bore rainbow-colored apples. When the filly returned home with a bag full of them, she and her father planted the first Zap apple seeds. Drawn in by the jam made from the unique fruit, other ponies started coming to the land, such as Stinkin' RichDiamond Tiara's grandfather, who started a small market that sold Zap Apple Jam. Granny Smith concludes the story of the founding of Ponyville by saying, "And before we knew it, we had ourselves a nice little town, bustling with all kinds of ponies."

Just because Sweet Apple Acres isn't located in the heart of Ponyville, doesn't mean its not a part of it. More like its probably a rural outskirt of the town. Pinkie's rock farm can be considered outside of Ponyville, since we see in Maud Pie that Maud takes a train to get there. 

Otherwise for the most part yes, it seems that only Applejack and Rarity are native Ponyvillians.

Even though the game isn't cannon and has really bad graphics and is incorrect in many ways, sweet aple acres is portraied as being apart from ponyville, so yes rarity is the only pony born in ponyville. And if you are uncertain to if even rarity lived thier in the cutie mark chronicles rarity's flash back is of her making costumes for her play which is on the same stage as the talent show the crusaders perform on.

As someone who lives on a farm on the outskirts of a small rural town similar to Ponyville, I know I am considered a resident of Leonard, Texas, even though the area I live in barely allows me to see the city lights. I know people who have to drive 5 miles to school every day and are considered residents of the city, too :derp: Given the rural setting and especially the story Granny Smith told us about how the Apple Family played a big role in the founding of Ponyville, I think putting money on AJ being a native Ponyvillian is a safe bet. 

Was it ever said that Fluttershy was from Cloudsdale?

Actually, I don't think Fluttershy is from anywhere not in the sky simply because of her cutie mark story in "the Cutie Mark Chronicles" showed her being very unfamiliar with nature and the ground :muffins:

They sound Canadian to me, but they could be from Horse Fargo for all I know. What I do know is that no one else in town sounds like they are from Horse Fargo.

I have a headcanon where Rarity was born and spent her very early years in whatever town her parents are from, and she had that same accent and mannerism. That is, until she visited Canterlot and got a taste of that high society at a young, impressionable age, which led to an interest in fashion and to her adopting the Audrey Hepburn accent. That persona is something she built for herself.

Sweetie Belle sounds normal because she was born and raised in Ponyville.

I will say, though, this is a great Rarity headcanon :D

• Brohoof 4

As I said on page one of this thread, if its anything like New England towns, than Sweet Apple acres is totally apart of Ponyville. In New England there is no territory that is not apart of a town between each town; leaving one town means entering another town or other municipality immediately.

@@ghostfacekiller39,

"Actually, I don't think Fluttershy is from anywhere not in the sky simply because of her cutie mark story in "the Cutie Mark Chronicles" showed her being very unfamiliar with nature and the ground :muffins:"

Now that you mention Fluttershy, I wonder if Cloudsdale stays in the same spot or if it moves about?

Edited by Zoraxe

Was it ever said that Fluttershy was from Cloudsdale? She always struck me as a pegasus who was born and raised on the ground and thus had a hard time getting used to heights, let alone flying. And Sweet Apple Acres was the genesis for Ponyville, so of course it's a part of the town.

As for Rarity, I actually always thought her and her family moved to Ponyville from Vanhoover (or somewhere else very Canadian).

From the Cutie Mark Chronicles transcript:

Fluttershy: [voiceover] I had never seen such beautiful creatures. Butterflies don't fly as high as my cloud home. And I'd never been near the ground before.

Rarity also literally says "I may have been born in Ponyville..." in Sweet and Elite, as mentioned by others.

So yes, Fluttershy was born in Cloudsdale, Rarity in Ponyville.

For the thread in general:

Also, it might be instructive to consider if ponies had birth certificates. If so, then I think it very probable that Applejack's birth certificate would list her as being born in Ponyville, it being the closest settlement of any size to the farm. Pinkie also says her farm was "outside of Ponyville", which also makes it likely that it was the closest large settlement, so the same applies to her.

So Rarity, AJ and Pinkie are all native Ponyvillians. QED.

Fine. But I maintain that her parents moved there from Vanhoover and that Rarity was born much more Canadian than she is now.

Well, where her parents come from has never been stated, so if you want to make that your headcanon, it's as good an explanation as any. :)

In 'Simple Ways' Rarity refers to Sweet Apple Acers as the "core" of Ponyville. Nuff said.

In 'Maud Pie' Pinky and Maud take a train from Ponyville back to the rock farm so Pinky is definitly not from Ponyville.

• Brohoof 1

In 'Maud Pie' Pinky and Maud take a train from Ponyville back to the rock farm so Pinky is definitly not from Ponyville.

Than again, the train ride to Canterlot once ran through a desert and seems to vary between a few minutes and several hours, so using the train in this series as a consistent measurement of distance and time is futile.

• Brohoof 1

As I said earlier, Pinkie has a younger sister who doesn't go to school in Ponyville.  This strongly implies her family rock farm isn't close enough for her to count as native.

As to Rarity's accent, I've always thought she was one of those charming people who affect an accent they think makes them look more sophisticated or glamorous  (Going by her behavior in "Sweet and Elite")

So, I would go w Rarity is native, AJ is almost certainly native & the others almost certainly are not.

Than again, the train ride to Canterlot once ran through a desert and seems to vary between a few minutes and several hours, so using the train in this series as a consistent measurement of distance and time is futile.

That train goes through desert to get to Canterlot (or one time the Crystal Empire) a few times in different episodes, I'm wondering if that is like some bizarre joke the animators are playing.

I agree that Sweet Apple Acres is technically part of Ponyville and, therefore, AJ is from ponyville too.  Although, I've got to wonder, does Rainbow dash live in ponyville at all.  While only Rarity and possibly AJ were born in ponyville, everyone except for Rainbow appear to live there now.  Twilight lives in the town library.  Pinkie lives at Sugercube Corner with the cakes. Rarity lives in Carousel Boutique. AJ lives at Sweet Apple Acres (totally part of Ponyville).  fluttershy lives in a cottage on the edge of town.  Rainbow Dash on the other hoof, where exactly does she live????  Does she still live in cloudsdale and only really visits Ponyville to see her friends and for her weather duties?????

Rainbow Dash on the other hoof, where exactly does she live????  Does she still live in cloudsdale and only really visits Ponyville to see her friends and for her weather duties?????

She has a cloud house in Ponyville. And when I say house I mean it's a freakin mansion!