Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How did your OC get their cutiemark?

Hocus Pocus

not sure if this should technically be under roleplay world as an ooc thread, but there are lots of questions about people's OCs here, but there's one that I haven't really seen yet.

How did your OC get their cutiemark? When did they figure out that what their special talent is? How did they figure it out?

For my OC, Hocus Pocus, she was with her friends, Sugar Sweet and Tru Bud, exploring a small island they had found off of the coast of Baltimare. After deciding on the title of "Hideaway Island" they set out to see exactly what the place had in store, when they stumbled across an abandoned building.

The three curious fillies went inside to find the place mostly empty except for dust, a few books still scattered on shelves, and pieces of the wall and ceiling which had fallen out in the building's state of disrepair. But up on the second floor, the three found something that stood out from the rest of the mess: An intricately designed mirror, standing alone in the rubbish scattering the floor. Hocus Pocus, being the unicorn of the group decided to check it out, attempting to cast a spell to reveal its magical properties, after all, a strange mirror in the middle of an abandoned building? It HAD to be magic! What Hocus didn't know was that the mirror was enchanted to reflect any spells cast at it, even the spell Hocus cast to identify the mirror's properties. Confused as to why the mirror yielded no results, Hocus decided to act rather recklessly, and cast the first spell that came to her mind at the mirror to see how it would react. Naturally, the mirror reflected the spell, but this time, it was reflected back at Hocus, who wound up being turned into a cat.

Tru and Sugar both freaked out at the turn of events, and spent the rest of the day trying to find a potion brewer or spell caster in town that could change Hocus back while agreeing not to tell their parents about the accident.

Transformation magic is rather tricky to perform, and for a filly, casting a spell that could turn somepony into a cat was an impressive feat; which is why when Hocus was finally restored to her true self as a Unicorn, she discovered that she had her cutiemark for magic, specifically transformation.

The image was of the magic mirror from the building, with clouds of smoke floating around it... Literally smoke and mirrors!

Hocus would grow up to refurbish the abandoned building and move into it, keeping the mirror that she found with her friends as a filly. But her life at that point is another story for another day.

Edited by Hocus Pocus
  • Brohoof 1

Ponder Cloud

Ponder's cutie mark represents his owner as well as himself. It is centered with a classic 'Power On' computer symbol, surrounded by a white cloud. Three adjacent lightning bolts shoot down from the bottom of the cloud. The center symbol represents a love for using computer/laptop technology, while the active, white thundercloud represents a powerful imagination and innovative spirit. Ponder's full name, 'Ponder Cloud', is related to his cutie mark as well.

Repulse Magnet

Repulse is a pony with a color scheme that is almost exclusively shades of blue. His coat is a diluted shade, whilst his mane is a far deeper shade. The ends of his mane and the streaks of his tail contain a lighter sky blue color, and the irises of his eyes are a perfect solid blue. He's a stallion with an average body build, a shortish multi-striped tail and a short, sectioned-off haircut, being slightly longer in the back than his bangs in the front.

Charred Remnant

Charred's cutie mark is a buffalo skull surrounded by a veil cloud of smoke; a few sparks of fire are present in the cloud, and the skull is partially covered in soot. When other travelers and towns people ask him about it, he tells them it represents the harsh desert environment in which he thrives in, and the dangerous places he uncovers in his travels. In truth, his grim cutie mark is a branded symbol of the dark magic he foolishly and unintentionally placed on himself as a young stallion.

• Brohoof 1

Timey Marey once crafted an hourglass so well that she earned her cutie mark, even though she pursued a different career, but it shows her ability to craft clocks, hourglasses and other timepieces so well.

Pierce Goldeneye was exceptionally talented with writing, so he earned his cutie mark after making his first story, which was a dark one. It shows his ability to write reports in great details and as a good writer.

Edited by TimeyMarey007

Soaring Symphony grew up in ponyville and went to the same school the CMC go to now.  Cheerilee wasn't the teacher back then.  No, she was in the same class Serenade was in.  Back when he was a cult, Soaring's teacher was Granny Smith's second cousin "Miss Apple Blossom".  She was a lot like Cheerilee, but with the country fliar common to the Apple familly.  While Serenade got his mark around the same time all the other foals did, it was a moment he will never forget.  One Hearthswarming Eve, Apple Blossom's class held the pagent.  It was the same pagent they hoasted every year and the only one in ponyville.  However, that year, Soaring was chosen to be the narrator and the lead singer in the song "the fire of friendship".  Dispite his terrible stage fright, he put on the best performance he could muster.  To his utter surprise, everypony loved it.  They stomped and cheered as the curtains closed.  In that moment, as the play came to an end, his mark appeared.  In that moment, he new who he was and what he was meant to do.  His mark, a microphone with a quill, represents his talent for singing and writing music.  Although he had always been a good singer and loved anything involving music, it wasn't until that one moment he realised just how much it meant to him and just how large a part it was of who he is.

Edited by Soaring Symphony

I was in flight school when I saw some bullies picking on a younger pegasus. I had my wooden practice sword with me, so I fought back against the bullies.

I felt bad about being so violent though, so I wrote about it for a school paper. Even the teacher said it sounded very nice.

That's when it appeared, a sword crossed with a pen. I knew then what it meant. That I would be both a great fighter and a great writer. I would make art with both my actions and my words.

• Brohoof 1

Serenade grew up in ponyville and went to the same school the CMC go to now. Cheerilee wasn't the teacher back then. No, she was in the same class Serenade was in. Back when he was a cult, Serenade's teacher was Granny Smith's second cousin "Miss Apple Blossom". She was a lot like Cheerilee, but with the country fliar common to the Apple familly. While Serenade got his mark around the same time all the other foals did, it was a moment he will never forget. One Hearthswarming Eve, Apple Blossom's class held the pagent. It was the same pagent they hoasted every year and the only one in ponyville. However, that year, Serenade was chosen to be the narrator and the lead singer in the song "the fire of friendship". Dispite his terrible stage fright, he put on the best performance he could muster. To his utter surprise, everypony loved it. They stomped and cheered as the curtains closed. In that moment, as the play came to an end, Serenade's mark appeared. In that moment, he new who he was and what he was meant to do. His mark, a microphone, represents his talent for singing and vocal performance. Although he had always been a good singer and always loved doing it, it wasn't until that one moment he realised just how much singing meant to him and just how large a part it was of who he is.

I've already stated on other forums that Serenade as a ponified version of myself. As such, his cutie mark story is base on one of my own experiances. For the most part, it happened just like it did in the story. However, There were a few key differences between the story and the real event. Firstly, I was already 16 when it happened while Serenade was obviously much younger. Also, for me, it wasn't a single pagent. Instead, I was narrator in a dramatic reading of "A Christmas Carol" and that was immediately followed by a Christmas pagent in which I sang "Joy To the World" as background music. It wasn't quite as spectacular as what happened in the cutie mark story but i'm not kidding when I say it was the moment I realized my true calling. Therefore, I used that experiance as inspiration for Sarenade's cutie mark story. Edited by Serenade

Puzzle Piece:

She basically randomly gained it while working on a detective case of hers. After solving it she gained a tattoo on her ass.

Pastel Punk:

She gained her singing/heart cutie mark after singing during a talent show. The actual cutie mark represents her singing talent while the heart shape represents the amount of passion and heart she put into her voice.

Both are pretty straight-forward.

• Brohoof 2

Duster Dawnhorse: After being freed from the Canterlot Museum of Natural History by a royal pardon given by Twilight (Duster was duped into becoming a living exhibit on ancient ponies) Duster was lost. All she had known is her primitive society and that small exhibit. She was adopted by the museum night guard and his wife but still didn't feel like she had any meaning. She was an adult with no cutie mark and it made her insecure about herself. She often drowned her sorrows at a little coffee shop and befriended the owner.

Eventually the coffee shop was under threat of going out of business. Duster was not about to let that happen and gathered what few art supplies she could find. While she was trained lightly as an artisan in her own society, she still was clueless about the materials of modern Equestria. She worked around the clock to create advertisements and menus with entirely new designs. The new print material was a hit, at the end of the week the coffee shop had earned more than enough to keep its doors open. At that final business tally Duster earned her mark for her talent in designing.

Mushiko: Mushiko is a kirin, which means she does not get a cutie mark. Kirins instead are tattooed with glyphs telling the stories of their achievements. These tattoos are reserved for highly honored kirin, Mushiko has no interest is gaining a mark or a screed of nobility (the glyph tattoos.)

• Brohoof 1

a friend helped me out so here's my oc's story....

he was born into the family, then one day was playing a game he found tougher then the rest, and thought he was just weak...so he spent weeks playing it, and soon beat it...then his cutie mark appeared and he learned that have was never beat by anyone

For my O.C. it is when he met the masters of the Equestrian Hell and they tolled him to say what he did to get punish by his parents to get thorugh here, then he tolled them that it was because he had break a cross by accident, then knewing this the masters did give their newest member the cutie mark related to how he got there, hence the Broken cross

As a colt Ice Blizzard loved to adventure. One day he discovered a weird radioactive-type crystal in a cave not far from his home in the Crystal Empire. When he took it home to study it (yes he's somewhat of an egghead like Twily and my IRL self), but then he accidentally touched it with his bare hoof and was knocked out cold for the rest of the day. The next morning, he woke up and discovered he had ice powers!! After spending almost a year perfecting his cool (get it?) abilities, he earned his cutie mark as his talent was being a cyromancer. From then on he vowed to be a hero and when he got older, he moved to Ponyville during Mysterious Mare do Well and decided to protect Ponyville from danger.

Syrup Leaf

She was going through a rough time back in Manehattan, and decided to move to Can. (Canada) Realizing she loved the syrup they put on the pancakes she got, she started going there everyday, and realized she was ment to come there that day because she got the opportunity to make the syrup. That's when three little leaves appeared on her tush.

Tune

He was homeless until T. Savvy gave him a place to stay. Savvy gave him a keyboard she coded just for him a month later. Realizing what she did for him, he decided to work on the streets with the keyboard in order to make enough money to pay her back for her kindness to him. Before he realized, he noticed he loved the sounds of applause, and the sound of the keyboard, realizing he wanted to play instruments. Boom. Keyboards! He later then became a famous musician.

T. Savvy

Tech Savvy wanted to take in as many homeless ponies she could and give them her inventions to hopefully make them happier. As she found a colt named Enut (later known as Tune), she decided to make him something he'd never forget to have around. As she worked on it for a month, she finally made a keyboard for Enut, who Enut finally told her that his name was Tune. After Tune got his cutie mark, and others started asking who made the keyboard, T. Savvy realized it was her destiny to please people. When she was in the middle of making a new invention for Tune, her cutiemark appeared. 

• Brohoof 1

I really can't say how mine got theirs, but i'll try:

Starlight got hers during her magic lessons from her mother, after that she has lived her life, trying to come up with ways to utilize each spell for offensive and defensive use; eventually she succeeds in creating spells that can be combined to greater effect. This leads to a Flare spell being created from fire and light magic.

Edited by Candy Star

Refund Check: When he was twelve, he saw his mother was having trouble balancing her checkbook. She gave it to him and essentially took it from there, going as far back as before he was even born to measure each transaction. A few hours later, he finally balanced the checkbook, giving him an abacus cutie mark. He was an apprentice at his father's firm until he graduated high school and became a part-time owner.

Ruby Shears: When she was a eleven, she and a group of friends planned a sleepover. On the way to her house, they got caught in the rain, leaving their manes drenched. Ruby found her mother's hair care products and agreed to style her friends' manes to the way they were before. As she was fixing the last mane, a hairdresser's pair of scissors appeared on her flanks. She now owns a mane salon.

Thrillseeker: When one of the trains for a Poney Island roller coaster needed to be retired, the park had a contest to design a new car. Then eleven-year old Thrillseeker stepped up to the challenge, devoting his time off from school to design the perfect train. When his was picked, he got his cutie mark in the same exact car. Soon after, he was offered a part-time job at the park which later turned into operating his favorite ride, the Whirlwind.

my oc Cherry Blossom got her cutie mark from trying so hard to fit in. She had such a hard time finding something that other ponies liked that she could like too until eventually she gave up and became very depressed. She was so depressed that one of her closest friends had to get her out of the house and took her all over trying to cheer her up until she was taken to a comic book store where she discovered the world of comic books and immediately fell in love. My oc has a comic book on her because she loves comic books a lot and writes and draws her own.

My OC is a parasprite so no cutiemark, pony wise through, ehhh... My OC is still a blank flank, she's having trouble what her true destiny is.

However doe, my pony clone Lulu got her cutiemark after she solved a hard science problem in front of bullies to prove she was smarter then them, and she was going to fix world problems with science.... Once she gets older, of course!

Edited by Kasane Teto

Sweet Light couldn't understand why she couldn't get a cutie mark until she was 13 years old. An elderly mare asked if somepony could help make a duplicate of her broken lamp.. Sweet Light was the only pony that offered, knowing a bit from some books she read. After she made the lamp, she got her cutie mark.

My OC got it after finding out what her favourite star was (sirius obviously) she is a religious stargazer and she often borrows Twily's books on astronomy. My sig shows the night she got it :) flank flank excuse much? She longs to be a pegasi so she may see the stars more closely. Despite Sirius's begging Twilight doesn't dare perform the wing spell again after the Rarity incident.

such a tale.... I shale tell you....

Snowflake was an orphan at a young age he was found and rescued by a rich family and their twin sons... many years passed and he got accepted into Princess Celestia's school for gifted unicorns... he spent years studying magic.... those years paid off when he was to put his magic to the test and fight some of the strongest unicorn in Canterlot, he succeeded receiving a cutie mark in the shape of a Snowflake representing his mastery over the arts of ice magic...

Edited by Snowflake Frostflame