Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Fluttershy actually faster than Rainbow Dash?

ManaMinori

Putting aside the Sonic Rainboom for a moment, I think Flutters actually is, and the whole stigma about her being a 'weak flier' is all in her head. Looking at "The Return of Harmony part 2", Fluttershy is seen to be able to keep up with Rainbow Dash, who had been flying fairly quickly in order to make her escape- staying on her tail the entire time, WHILE pulling some serious drag from a massive hot-air balloon behind her, as well as pulling 4 grown mares inside said air balloon! In "The Last Roundup", she's seen running alongside RD and keeping up with her, as they pull the cart. In "Hurricane Fluttershy", she's even seen tearing past some high-wing power ponies inside the tornado.

So It's not that Fluttershy isn't a fast runner/ flier, it's just that she's so hampered by her emotional trauma baggage that she just prevents herself from even trying, out of fear of drawing too much attention to herself.

• Brohoof 9

Dash was being lassoed multiple times while she tried to get away, pretty sure that puts a big hamper on her speed as well.

Not 100% relevant, but I'm convinced Fluttershy can fly fast with low wingpower just because she's really light.

• Brohoof 4

Dash was being lassoed multiple times while she tried to get away, pretty sure that puts a big hamper on her speed as well.

Not 100% relevant, but I'm convinced Fluttershy can fly fast with low wingpower just because she's really light.

fluttershy is pretty light isn't she.

I would say what dulset said is pretty good there.

Though what OP said is a pretty good theory too.

The canon of the show is messed up. Fluttershy had episodes where she was fast and others showed that she wasn't. Keep in mind that Rainbow is a professional athlete and has been practicing how to be the fastest and most athletic pegasus her entire life.

• Brohoof 4

The canon of the show is messed up. Fluttershy had episodes where she was fast and others showed that she wasn't. Keep in mind that Rainbow is a professional athlete and has been practicing how to be the fastest and most athletic pegasus her entire life.

^This.

Hasbro retcons as bad as anyone when it comes to MLP.

She's a talented amateur, but a professional? No way.

RD wasn't lassoed during the first part of the chase. But Fluttershy was still able to stay on her.

Fluttershy can fly fast (I agree it can change for plot convenience), but there's no way she's faster than Rainbow Dash... It's just obvious.

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 2

I think that scene was meant to show that Fluttershy can fly pretty decently when she's so angry and focused on protecting/rescuing people she cares about that she momentarily discards any fear or anxiety holding her back. Doubt that it was meant to show that Flutters is faster than RD cause, y'know, pretty much every other scene in the entire series would imply the opposite.

Put another way, Fluttershy going all out to rescue a friend

Compared with Dash going all out to rescue a friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WImRs-nWW48

• Brohoof 4

Sometimes Fluttershy can go fast because plot. But she can't fly very fast and she isn't very strong. I don't think that would change regardless of her mindset.

Yeah, if we have to be technical, it's entirely due to the fault of plot convenience. Plus, the "Hurricane Fluttershy" example doesn't really hold water because it's entirely possible that instead of passing her fellow ponies that she's in an entirely different cycle in her circle from them. Rainbow Dash within the episode, on the other hoof, is able to leave her circle and join the other ponies' while still being ahead of them pretty effortlessly, which is far more evidence to her speed than Fluttershy's example.

But if we want to edge headcanon territory, my theory is somewhat along the same lines as . I believe that Fluttershy is capable of short bursts of incredible speed when fueled on adrenalin, which for real people allows them to accomplish great feats that they aren't normally capable of doing, e.g. lifting cars when normally they're impossible to lift. Fluttershy in "The Return of Harmony Pt. 2" is an adrenalin fueled Fluttershy. Meanwhile, Rainbow Dash is able to go from 0 to 60 on a normal basis.

• Brohoof 4

I think Rainbow Dash is the faster and stronger of the 2 but Fluttershy is a very good flyer in her own right. Her fears hold her back except in emergencies as she stated in "Hurricane Fluttershy" herself. I think Rainbow knows how good of a flyer Fluttershy is which is why she picked her to fly in the Equestria Games. 

Fluttershy might not be faster then Rainbow Dash, but i think that she has very strong wings. The problem is, she has sometimes trouble in believing in herself.

Also, some people say that Rainbow Dash is mean to Fluttershy. I think that Rainbow Dash tries to get the best out of Fluttershy. Sometimes you need this little push and sometimes you just need a little pat on the butt. If Rainbow gets that potential out of Flutters, then she might be a great flyer.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know why we would exclude the Sonic Rainboom. That in itself proves that RD is faster. It's not some special ability or magic, it's literally caused by her speed. It's even showed in later episodes that she can pull it off with much more ease than in the episode the move debuted in.

Fluttershy might not be faster then Rainbow Dash, but i think that she has very strong wings. The problem is, she has sometimes trouble in believing in herself.

Also, some people say that Rainbow Dash is mean to Fluttershy. I think that Rainbow Dash tries to get the best out of Fluttershy. Sometimes you need this little push and sometimes you just need a little pat on the butt. If Rainbow gets that potential out of Flutters, then she might be a great flyer.

The tornado episode kinda proves that Fluttershy doesn't have very strong wings. Even after all the physical training she did (that had nothing to do with her mental state, it was purely physical) her actual speed didn't increase by much at all. RD had her beat several fold in wing power without even trying.

I agree. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy have a good relationship, I think. What you could call 'tough love.' RD just wants Flutter to be the best she can be and help her overcome her weaknesses. She may a little harsh at times, but that's just who she is. We can see RD does feel sorry for Flutter on occasion, and thus, cares for her.

But I don't think Flutter is faster. She can fly better than she credits herself for; but she also never really needs to or wants to, save in emergencies.

Edited by Frozen Fox
  • Brohoof 2

Fluttershy might not be faster then Rainbow Dash, but i think that she has very strong wings.

In Friendship is Magic part 2, and May the Best Pet Win, Fluttershy is shown to be incapable of holding a pony in the air. Whose are some pretty weak wings.

In times of peril, fear, or danger people (so ponies too) can gain surges of power or strength. This is what happened, Fluttershy flew a lot faster because she didn't that "big meanie" to keep control of her friend RD so she kicked into gear something which was beyond her limits. Even when she overcame the bullies in Hurricane Fluttershy she was able to have a surge making her about on par with RD however that was out of anger. Also, RD had been flying that hard for longer so Fluttershy lacked the stamina, RD is the stronger flier however Fluttershy CAN reach some pretty wowzers speeds

In times of peril, fear, or danger people (so ponies too) can gain surges of power or strength. This is what happened, Fluttershy flew a lot faster because she didn't that "big meanie" to keep control of her friend RD so she kicked into gear something which was beyond her limits. Even when she overcame the bullies in Hurricane Fluttershy she was able to have a surge making her about on par with RD however that was out of anger. Also, RD had been flying that hard for longer so Fluttershy lacked the stamina, RD is the stronger flier however Fluttershy CAN reach some pretty wowzers speeds

• Brohoof 2

Totally agreeable.

I believe that being a weak flyer is all in her head. She just has issues with performing in front of others.

I think that she could fly faster than RainbowDash if she really tried.