spoiler Why was Fluttershy so optamistic about the town?

TheMisterManGuy

Throughout the entire first part I kept wondering why Fluttershy was so optamistic about the whole town. I know she kind and polite, but I thought even she would know something was up right away. It only took until Part 2 for her to actually do something to get back the cutie marks.

I can't help but think the writers are still hinting at something more to her. Her line about how she wishes everypony would be as nice and friendly makes me think that deep down, she despises most ponies with the exception of her friends. And she hides this cynicism behind a think layer of politeness timidity. Are you expecting them to pull a Gravity Falls and have some big origin episode about who she really is? Or am I just overanalyzing her character?

• Brohoof 3

It didn't suprise me at all. It fits with her character very well. After all Fluttershy has been the only one that has had Discord's back all this time despite all of his evil doings.

• Brohoof 16

It didn't suprise me at all. It fits with her character very well. After all Fluttershy has been the only one that has had Discord's back all this time despite all of his evil doings.

But Fluttershy still doubted that she would be able to do so, and she knew Discord was evil prior to that. It seemed to me that Fluttershy just wants a town as idealized as the equality village.

Her line about how she wishes everypony would be as nice and friendly makes me think that deep down, she despises most ponies with the exception of her friends.
 It's more likely that that's a line trying too hard to characterize her as "nice".

I know she kind and polite, but I thought even she would know something was up right away.
 She's also the type of pony who doesn't see beyond appearances, at least not until it hits her.
  • Brohoof 1

FlutterShy seems to think the best of situations.

Remember in the episode Bats?

The vampire bats were obviously causing problems but she insisted that things were going fine.

• Brohoof 2

Fluttershy always tries to see the "best" in everything, even if it's not something immediately noticeable. She's not the kind of pony to focus on the negatives unless it really becomes something she just can't ignore, and as we've all seen that can take quite a breaking point. I kinda like it though, its nice to keep a little positivity around. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 5

Mmh, I'm not sure but I think Fluttershy was a bit naive. Unlike Pinkie Pie, she didn't see there was something wrong with the town. Everyone was kind and smiling to them, so she thought everything was ok...

• Brohoof 1

Mmh, I'm not sure but I think Fluttershy was a bit naive. Unlike Pinkie Pie, she didn't see there was something wrong with the town. Everyone was kind and smiling to them, so she thought everything was ok...

OK. Still, I feel like throughout all 4 seasons, the writers seem to be hinting at something more to her. The fact that we still have no concrete backstory on her makes me think they're going to do to her what Gravity Falls did to Grunkle Stan.

Well Fluttershy is the element of kindness and generally gives pony the benefit of the doubt (It Ain't Easy Being Breezies for instant) For instance in Keep Calm and Flutter On, she was the only one to defend Discord, though she knew what he could get up to so it wasn't as accepting as in this episode where the villagers up until the cutie mark theft occurred, had done nothing wrong to them. 

Personal headcanon is Fluttershy is the most observational of the Mane 6 and quite understanding.  Fluttershy had a lot of small lines through out season 4 that showed she was a bit more aware of what was going on then some of the others at times. 

For examples: 

Daring Don't: Pointing out RD's excitement and noticing that they should help Daring

Pinkie Pride: Where Flutters mentions that a goof off is going down, yet having no idea still know things are getting tense

It Ain't Easy Being Breezies: Fluttershy mentions it's a cruel world out there and then Twilight thinks they're just going home.  There just a small little beat in there, like Fluttershy was processing what Twilight was saying and it's later proven that outside is dangerous for the breezies

Testing Testing 1,2,3: This is a good one. Fluttershy, when making her play, says this about Celestia and Luna "Back when they were happy" Now up until this point most ponies thought Celestia was happy and celebrated the banishment of Luna. Now Celestia told Twilight that she regretted this, but ONLY Twilight and I highly doubt Twilight would tell her friends something told to her in confidence.  So in other words Fluttershy was able to figure out Celestia was unhappy during Luna's 1000 year banishment.

Weather or not they'll do anything with this is yet to be seen.

• Brohoof 3

It just fits with her character - for better or worse, she'll always see the best in people/situations and will try to avoid conflicts. I think deep down she knew what was happening in the town was wrong.

• Brohoof 4

I think Fluttershy was optimistic about the town for 2 main reasons

1. Fluttershy is kind and tolerant of other peoples' lifestyles. She doesn't see anything wrong with the ponies not having cutie marks as long as they are happy about it. Of course she is a little naive and couldn't tell that the ponies we're only smiling on the outside, not on the inside.

2. Fluttershy likes the simple lifestyle the ponies had. She is the kind of pony that likes to live peacefully and friendly, and that is the vibe that the town gave her.

• Brohoof 7

Remember the episode Keep Calm and Flutter on when Fluttershy was the only pony who actually trusted Discord and believed he was capable of being reformed? Then Bats where while Fluttershy did acknowledge Applejack's concerns suggested that the bats may in fact be a blessing in disguise with the possibility that they could spread the seeds and grow even more trees. It is simply in Fluttershy's nature to always to see the best in everyone and in nearly every situation.

• Brohoof 2

Well Fluttershy is the element of kindness and generally gives pony the benefit of the doubt (It Ain't Easy Being Breezies for instant) For instance in Keep Calm and Flutter On, she was the only one to defend Discord, though she knew what he could get up to so it wasn't as accepting as in this episode where the villagers up until the cutie mark theft occurred, had done nothing wrong to them. 

Personal headcanon is Fluttershy is the most observational of the Mane 6 and quite understanding.  Fluttershy had a lot of small lines through out season 4 that showed she was a bit more aware of what was going on then some of the others at times. 

For examples: 

Daring Don't: Pointing out RD's excitement and noticing that they should help Daring

Pinkie Pride: Where Flutters mentions that a goof off is going down, yet having no idea still know things are getting tense

It Ain't Easy Being Breezies: Fluttershy mentions it's a cruel world out there and then Twilight thinks they're just going home.  There just a small little beat in there, like Fluttershy was processing what Twilight was saying and it's later proven that outside is dangerous for the breezies

Testing Testing 1,2,3: This is a good one. Fluttershy, when making her play, says this about Celestia and Luna "Back when they were happy" Now up until this point most ponies thought Celestia was happy and celebrated the banishment of Luna. Now Celestia told Twilight that she regretted this, but ONLY Twilight and I highly doubt Twilight would tell her friends something told to her in confidence.  So in other words Fluttershy was able to figure out Celestia was unhappy during Luna's 1000 year banishment.

Weather or not they'll do anything with this is yet to be seen.

That's what I like about Fluttershy, there seems to be a lot of mysteries surrounding her character. And as I said, maybe the show will do what Gravity Falls recently did and have some big origin episode about her.

• Brohoof 1

That's what I like about Fluttershy, there seems to be a lot of mysteries surrounding her character. And as I said, maybe the show will do what Gravity Falls recently did and have some big origin episode about her.

I would LOVE an orgin episode about Flutters! Get some insight into why she is the way she is.  :squee:

For a while, it looked like to me that Fluttershy was going to be the one who needed rescuing, or that she was actually going to be completely brainwashed and used against her friends. Thankful that wasn't the case.

• Brohoof 1

Fluttershy is the element of kindness. Perhaps her kindness leads to her giving others the benefit of doubt. When a manticore attacked, she didn't know it was hurt. For all she knew, it was actually trying to kill her and her friends. When the others didn't trust discord, she gave him the benefit of doubt. Same with the town. So I'm going with the fact that she's kind. 

The answer is in her element. Which is the element of kindness so obviously she really liked it when all those ponies were smiling and being really polite so Fluttershy probably thought that was great and didn't sense that something was wrong.

• Brohoof 2

She is a little naive to some of the realities of the world.

Also, if any of the mane six were to join a cult it would be her. She's got that whole hippie/flower child thing going on.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I think it had a great deal to do with how tolerant Fluttershy is of differences in ponies; It's in her nature to be kind. However Fluttershy has always struck me as not being able to judge peoples emotions very well. She seemed to think that just because people were smiling, therefore they were happy. She sometimes behaves like my grandma, in that, if you don't talk about bad things, and you just smile, they don't exist; also, only say nice things and never focus on negativity. Even though life isn't always nice and is sometimes negative, and ignoring it doesn't make it better. But I think they will probably work on Fluttershy's character development through this season.
I think she was just so happy so many people wanted to get along and be her friend and accepted her for her shyness. From what we've seen of her, even as a little filly; She was bullied, shy, and very nervous around people, and she has a hard time being around people because they easily push her around. She probably wanted to think positively that she'd found the perfect town of friendship. It wasn't until she realized it was fake, and that her friends were miserable that she put on her big girl panties and dealt with it.

Edited by Antidaeophobia
  • Brohoof 1

Because Fluttershy is a communist.

Kidding. She only liked the town because everyone was friendly. How bad can a different lifestyle be if everyone is so happy about it? I imagine that was her thought process. She didn't see the need to fix something that didn't, at the time, appear to be broken.

• Brohoof 1

I think that, since she has poor experience with other ponies, arriving in a town where everyone is polite and friendly made her confortable. I know, I've been there 

• Brohoof 1