Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How Do Your Parent(s)/Guardian(s) Feel About You Watching MLP?

Jaxsie (Inactive)

(edited)

Hia, everyone! :icwudt: The title pretty much says it all.

For me, my parents are quite tolerant of me being a fan of the show and being a part of the fandom. I don't recieive much flack for it, for the most part. But their toleration comes in two different forms.

My mom doesn't seem to mind all that much, but she has expressed that she thinks I spend too much time with MLP related things. Even still, she likes my OC art; supported me when I put my first story up on fim-fiction; and I feel comfortable watching and talking about the show around her. Despite this, I know my limits. I already know she wouldn't like the idea of me getting a plushie; even if she doesn't express so openly. While she doesn't necessarily want my brother to watch the show; she never degrades or shames him. Generally, she doesn't say anything about her feelings about it and lets him enjoy it. She did make clear, though, that she doesn't like the idea of him getting a MLP t-shirt.

On the other hand, my dad's toleration comes in the form of jokes -- really annoying jokes. For the most part, he won't say anything about it unless me and/or my brother bring it up in his hearing. The jokes -- while annoying -- are quite innocuous and I can easily brush them off. But I know he doesn't approve of us watching the show -- especially with my brother. My irritation mainly comes from when the jokes are being directed at him; they seem to take on a different tone entirely. And you can probably guess why. For this reason, me and my brother don't watch the show when my dad is awake or home from work; and we tend keep talk about it at a minimum when he's in ear-shot.

So, how about you all? How do your parent(s)/guardian(s) feel about you watching MLP? :)

Edited by RainbowJaxs16
  • Brohoof 6

They couldn't care less. My mother is a bit unsure and finds it silly, but she does not bother me with it and couldn't care less. 

• Brohoof 1

likewise she couldn't care less

she already knows im a big pokemon fan and i have plushies and all. liking mlp would be the same

my sis thinks it a bit weird though

• Brohoof 2

My parents are kind of the same as yours.

My mom dose not really seam to mind that I watch the show. The only thing is that I recently told them about MLP.

I recently bought a Rainbow Dash rubber bracelet from hot topic. Then when they asked about it I told them. My dads first immediate reaction was that I was Gay.  :lol:

I told him I wasn't and thats been it so far.

• Brohoof 3

My parents don't even know :) my dad thinks I'm your usual athletic black kid that plays video games from time to time and i intend to keep it that way

• Brohoof 2

Dad: *Annoying Jokes* What ya want to buy at Walgreece Zaal? ANother Brony?

Zaal: Yes Father *in Annoyed tone*

Dad: Okay we can go but you have to stand up with me while buying it.

My Brother is a Kind Of Brony from time ti time he has a giant pinkie pie.

• Brohoof 3

My Dad and Stepdad have never even heard of the show and it's been long enough since I've mentioned it to my Mom that she's probably (hopefully) forgotten.  Which is just the way I like it.

• Brohoof 1

My mom is totally down with it. I collect all generations of MLP toys, and my mom gets excited when I get new ponies haha. She will go to the antique store with me and hunt for collectibles. She also has her own collections (she's into disney-themed cookie jars right now) so it's a way we can bond. She is quite child-like at heart and loves cute/cheerful things like I am, so she gets it. For my birthday she got me some MLP gifts as well. :D She pretty much is amazing! Anyone else would probably shame me for being into ponies as a 25 year old, but not her.

• Brohoof 1

My mom knows but she doesn't really care about it and my dad doesn't know because I never told him although I know he will not find look down upon it. He's the 'not a single damn to give' kind of people.

• Brohoof 1

They've just accepted it as another one of my oddities. I've been on my own long enough that while they may not understand something, they'll accept that I have enough of a handle on life where I can do my own thing

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

My mom is totally down with it. I collect all generations of MLP toys, and my mom gets excited when I get new ponies haha. She will go to the antique store with me and hunt for collectibles. She also has her own collections (she's into disney-themed cookie jars right now) so it's a way we can bond. She is quite child-like at heart and loves cute/cheerful things like I am, so she gets it. For my birthday she got me some MLP gifts as well. :D She pretty much is amazing! Anyone else would probably shame me for being into ponies as a 25 year old, but not her.

That's really cool! Me and my mom relate with everything but MLP. I know she doesn't care much about the show, but she tolerates it because she knows that I like it. Which is more than reasonable. But I would be lying if I wrote that I didn't want her to like it a little; which I think she does. When I watch the show with her in the room, I make sure to put on a episode that I think she would like. And when it gets her to laugh, I'm like this:

post-33008-0-88075200-1433906147.jpeg

:P

Edited by RainbowJaxs16
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

My parents do not know I like My Little Pony, I haven't brought it up and yet i don't live with them. Though they critasis me for pretty much so I do not want to tell them.

Edited by CosmicSpark
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't talk about it around them and never meant for them to find out in the first place.

My mom doesn't mind and is supportive of it.

My dad has the wrong idea about bronies and is against it, he always brings it up to mock me. I don't really care though.

Edited by Emerald Star
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

My mom watched G1 MLP as a kid, so she finds it cool that I'm watching this one. As well as saying that I'm open minded. :)

Edited by Ice Blizzard
  • Brohoof 2

I honestly have no idea. :/

Now I have guilt that I don't talk to my mother enough now. I am certain my father would have endorsed my Bronydom. After all ... he was directly responsible for most of my geek obsessions. :)

• Brohoof 3

My mom was skeptical at first, but after she watched a bunch, she began to enjoy the show herself.  She's seen my change in attitude and outlook since watching the show so she's very supportive.  Honestly, I sometimes think she's more excited that I'm a brony than I am.

• Brohoof 2

I've been in the fandom since I was 11 years old which is considered too young for a Pegasister though I'm 13 now.

So my parents didn't think it was weird since I was a 11 year old girl which is considered part of the target audience I suppose. Now as a 13 year old they still don't care and don't even what anything about fandoms and whatever. They even think it's cool.

They've even seen my shipping fanart for some of my MLP ships and wanted to frame them believe it or not, even my Mane 6 X Mane 6 O.O (Well, my Mane 6 X Mane 6 looked like friendshipping and just them hanging out but I did have a RariDash picture of Rarity annoyed and blushing at Rainbow Dash smirking at her but they didn't notice at all that picture and I made that picture on my 12th birthday when I started shipping pony Yuri which is the only Yuri I seem to ship.)

They treat how much I like the show same way as I was 11. Guess it's because not only am I a Pegasister but also because it was when I was younger and that I grew up and still like it isn't much of a difference and that 13 is only a year older than 12 when you're finally becoming teenager?

They also may not care because my little 2nd grade sister who's 8 right now likes the show too and would be consider part of the target audience (she happens to know about the fandom and the show and ships all the same shippings as me. Also, she sadly found out about clop on her own like I did when I was 11.)

My parents seem kinda excited that I watch the show actually like in @Pinkie-Guy's case.

Except my dad jokes about how both Rarity and Pinkie Pie are my favorite characters and his other jokes of the show and my other fandoms are super annoying at times. :/

My mom seems to like Twilight. :adorkable:

For my 12 birthday, I even got a Build-a-Bear workshop Rainbow Dash and my sister got Pinkie Pie even at Downtown Disney from where we live.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

They don't know that I watch it. I doubt that they even know that MLP:FIM exists. And I don't plan to tell them.

Edited by Gestum
  • Brohoof 2

My parents have pretty much been conditioned to not bat an eye at me, I have always been into childish stuff and toys and whatnot. My mom actually asks about it and complimented the Luna plush she saw sitting in my room, my dad, says nothing, but that's what he's like. 

• Brohoof 1