Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How would you feel if MLP "stole" your OC?

Gaines

Whether they "stole" your MLP OC's name, color palette, and/or mane style, how would you feel? 
What would make you think it might've just been an accident/coincidence, and at what point would you start to believe they straight-up ripped your character off? :okiedokieloki:

• Brohoof 2

I would hope they would use it for good intentions. If they stole one of my OCs to use as an antagonist, then we have a major problem. But I do have a problem in the first place as I'd go after them with copyright...after Hasbro C&Ded some of the greatest fan works of all time... :eww:

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Gaines said:

Whether they "stole" your MLP OC's name, color palette, and/or mane style, how would you feel? 
What would make you think it might've just been an accident/coincidence, and at what point would you start to believe they straight-up ripped your character off? :okiedokieloki:

i had the mainguy from EQD stole mine twice and i can tell you.. it's not pretty nor fun;

So i'd feel sad

Unless the oc was famous, I think it's safe to say it's a coincidence. If they use my oc's name, it means I successfully chose a show-accurate style name. If they use his colors, who cares? I don't own color combinations.

• Brohoof 1

The only thing kinda close to this is in "The Best Gift Ever" special that Flim and Flam had that doll by the name of Holly, which is my main character's name.

And Flim and Flam alone I was already glaring at them as they were talking about using the doll they were, but having my character's name just upped my dissatisfaction even more with those two.

The literal name of my first OC made in 2013 was "Starlight Glisten" she was a light purple unicorn with a dark purple mane and the literal only difference between her and Starlight was she had orange highlights not teal .. I love Starlight so I'm not like "shit they robbed me",! It's funny bc many things I said "it would be cool if this happened in MLP" happened like at least a dozen times lol

• Brohoof 1

I'm sort of torn between saying I'd be honored and I'd be frustrated. I suppose @Courageous Thunder Dash does have a good point about the way in which the character is used. And the whole C&D thing, definitely. I thought Fighting Is Magic would have been a wonderful game, even if tonally different from the show, and I'm glad that Lauren Faust sat down and helped them develop new characters for the title it ended up being.

So, I think I'd be honored unless the character was presented as a complete jerk.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I don’t have artwork for any my ocs it would actually be cool to see what they’d even look like. A cyber goth and psychobilly pony.

Id just assume it was a coincidence.

• 1 month later...

No idea honestly. I guess it depends on the context, if it's just a coincidence I'll probably forget about it the next day, if it's not a coincidence (unlikely scenario) I'm going to react based on how the character is used in the show

I personally designed my oc to be a pessimistic jerk, not always like that though, it started off as a persona but later it became who she is (an antagonist by mlp standards, i think) 

If they somehow end up making her too annoying or hard to watch, (which I mean it's easy to do considering what I just said) that's when I'm having problems

yes she is supposed to be annoying but it should be obvious that it's on purpose

Edited by User without a name

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have absolutely no claim of license of her, so it is what it is. But I'm confident this would never happen not only because they just flat out wouldn't do that with any OCs, but also because mine does not fit the color pallets they used.

Only reason I might be mad is if they did represent her as a musician, but not with a non-wind instrument. lol

• 2 weeks later...

If I just saw my OC chilling in the background of a random episode I'd probably think it was the coolest thing ever until I realize my design was stolen :okiedokieloki:

• 2 months later...

I mean it sounds like a flattering thing. My OC is G4 and I keep getting people telling me that G5 Pip looks like my OC… hahah 

Its… weird lol but definitely not stolen 

I guess my only qualm would be if my OC’s exact design would be there but her personality would be something like annoying or the opposite of who she is D: