Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spikes crush

Cherry_Bloom

I think he is about 10 years old. But is still considered a baby dragon because they probably take a long time to grow (he is a very small dragon after all). When Twilight cracked open the egg, he was literally a newborn there. But that must have been a while ago in Twilight's flashback. I think they take ages to grow. That's my guess anyway.

• Brohoof 1

He's definitely not a baby. The ponies just treat him that way because he could just be a runt. Those teenager dragons he meet in Dragon Quest could be close to his age group. He said Teenage dragons more up to my speed and size.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Try and think of the way dragons age when thinking about this. Mentally, he's not a toddler by any means, his mental age seems anywhere from 12-14. Physically, dragons age by becoming greedy and acquiring new things, and seem to get dumber the bigger they get (after reaching a certain point). I'd say spike is at that point based on what we saw in the episode where he grew huge. He probably wasnt as smart as he is now when he first hatched. So his life probably goes somewhat like..

egg - hatchling - baby(current) - and then from here on out, his greed and the amount of stuff he has determine how fast/if he ages.

So imagine growing up normally into a child, but not being able to age (physically) until you acquired a hoard of items.

So it's not really all that weird for him to like Rarity in my opinion. Lots of younger/teenage boys get crushes on older girls, and Rarity is probably anywhere from 17-25.

Edited by Snake
  • Brohoof 1

Well, I imagine he's more like 10 or so. For the most part, dragons tend to have a much longer life span. So I can understand why he has a crush

Spike is sooo much smarter than all the 10 year olds I know. Maybe i'm surrounded by unintelligent children..?

• Brohoof 4

Spike is sooo much smarter than all the 10 year olds I know. Maybe i'm surrounded by unintelligent children..?

Probably. I have a similar situation... Except, the ones I'm talking about are 15 not 10. Spike is still smarter than them XD

• Brohoof 2

There's only one thing I don't get. Spike is a baby dragon so... Why/how does he have a crush on rarity?

Think about it like this

Spike is in love with Generosity, both in his actions and through his crush on the element of Generosity. He IS one of the most selfless characters in the show (when he wants to be anyway) 

• Brohoof 1

I understand Spike I have crush on Rarity too so pretty generous, lovely, purple, royal, happy, cute, soft, fluffy, amazing, beautiful, fabulous, shiny, sweet, warm, kind and absolutely perfect pony I think. It's perfectly understandable that Spikey pony dragon falls in love with the angel Rarity beauty fabulous cute <3

post-28950-0-02363800-1433866961_thumb.png
  • Brohoof 1

I guess it is just a childish crush. He really did not react to Rarity until he had seen her and nothing but seen her :/.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

A lot of young people, even small children may develop a crush or something. Age doesn't mean anything. A lot of people end up dating or falling in love with someone at least 1 or 2 years older than them. A lot of girls prefer older guys mainly for maturity from what I've seen and my old Science teacher said this when all the boys in class were acting immatrurely. :huh:

Your age doesn't really determined your crushes or attractions or whatever. Besides, a lot of it goes on with our brains.

Our brains sometimes may think of it like a sire or whatever. Not going into full detail on that and all that other Science stuff unless anyone wants me to.

And Spike mainly seemed to develop a crush on Rarity for her beauty at first and how he marvels at her wonderful appearance. In Secret To My Excess and other future episodes, we see Spike and Rarity have some moments and Rarity treat Spike with some kindness and greatfulness but Spike orginingally fell in love with her appearance. Orgininally.

I'm not going to go into detail on Spike's age since everyone else is already explaining that and I wouldn't need to explain since what @Snake and all the others above me said. :twi:

Instead of ages I'm mostly sticking to topic of why Spike would crush on Rarity despite being younger than her. :P

Besides, to use myself as a example, my first crush was from when I was 12 years old on Hiro Hamanda from Disney's Big Hero  who I still like mainly because I relate to him but I won't go into full detail on that since that would be offtopic unless asked. 

Edited by GoldKingdomKeyblade
  • Brohoof 2

I guess it is just a childish crush. He really did not react to Rarity until he had seen her and nothing but seen her :/.

That was true for a while, but he's spent more than enough time with her by now to see that he likes her personality as well.

Because Spike isn't a baby at least not by pony standards but is called a "baby" because dragons take much much longer to mature than ponies do. What would be considered a baby dragon in pure pony terms would probably be called a "hatchling" which we did actually see Spike as in a flashback scene where it shows Twilight hatching him from his egg. Mentally speaking he is quite close to around the CMC's age but if he was a pony he would probably be in his early teens by now. With that said it is not unusual for young children to get crushes, also because the mane 6 don't seem to mind it too much that suggests that there is a precedent in the MLP universe to inter species crushes as well as inter species relationships, it is hard to say exactly how common this is though.

I've accepted a long time ago that many of the children I know in real life will never be as competent, tolerable, or radical as children on television shows. Sad but true.

Anyway, in response to topic, Spike is probably closer to 12-14 at this point, and kids that age crush on older people all the time.

• Brohoof 1

Spike is like 12 years old at most in human years and his crush on Rarity is completely normal because he's been raised with ponies so he would probably start liking ponies because there are no friendly dragons around.

I had an instant crush on a girl when I was in the first grade.

...the thing is, even though I haven't seen her once since somewhere around high school or so. I think I might still lol.

I had her in my first and second grade class ( by the same teacher lol) and saw her again when we were in freshmen grade high school. beautiful in first grade and beautiful in high school. There is no doubt that she is still hot at the age of 30 lol.

So, spike having a crush on rarity is no surprise. However, this interspecies thing is kinda off. Something akin to beastiality in the sense that he should be more interested and attracted to meeting someone of his own actual species. Especially since by the time he is fully grown, well we seen how big he gets. Also rarity will either be dead or very old since dragons have very long lifespans. 

Its a relationship that will never happen or die very quickly and is just there because the writers thought it would add a cute dynamic for spike.

It's wierd that he have a crush on adult pony. Usually kids act like girls and love are gross and icky until they hit puberty.

It is actually completely common and normal. Kids have crushes on teachers and babysitters all the time. 

It is actually completely common and normal. Kids have crushes on teachers and babysitters all the time. 

I think it would be more obvious if writers actually write him as toddler or around 8 years old. Because they don't know how 8yr old act in real life and Spike is usually depicted as more around 16. This is why people are confused about Sparity. It's suppose to always be one-sided ship but sometimes it just look like Spike is only few years younger than Rarity because writers fails in adressing him as a child and write him as Mane7 pony