Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation Crushes on animated characters

SIgmaBETA

I think my logic is. If its a real human then its fine. But having it on a cartoon or animation, i guess my logic is. Well i cant have it so why bother?

But i do like it for the coolness factor growing up, if its impressive or cool or fun!

• The title was changed to Crushes on animated characters

I crush on both animated characters and real people simply because I think they're cute/attractive :) I never really questioned when/why/how because I've been a furry and cartoonist since a very very young age; it's just part of who I am. However, I know my boundaries, and understand that cartoons are not real and if a real person is too out of my league.

This is coming from someone whose nearly entire MLP Forums persona is crushing on anime guys.

Just like @Gaines stated, some people are attracted to some fictional characters for one simple reason: they are attractive. It's that easy. If someone is hot, they're hot.

The only times this attraction becomes an issue is if you genuinely believe the character(s) actually exist or if you are attracted to a character of minor age.

I used to think that finding fictional characters sexy was bizarre and even cringey. I have learned that it really isn't a big deal. It's fun, actually.

• Brohoof 3

I have crushes on lots of animated characters. I love toons because they're attractive, interesting and designed in a very compelling way. I tend more toward charactersfrom older cartoons because the more modern the cartoons get, the less appealing the characters seem to become. Kinda like it is with humans.

• Brohoof 1

so distracted by the word 'crush'

why in the hay is it so disturbing D:

1. The romantic sense of crush was first recorded in the 1884 journal of Isabella Maud Rittenhouse.
  2. According to Eric Partidge, crush might have been a variation on mash, since by 1870 mashed was a popular way of saying flirtatious or head over heels in love, and to crush something was to mash it.
  3. How did mash acquire that meaning? The Oxford English Dictionary shoots down one line of speculation found in an 1890 slang dictionary: the suggestion of a Romani word mash or masherava, meaning to allure or entice.

but anyway. being attracted to cartoon characters is as unsurprising as hating the villains, finding the cute ones cute, finding the reasonable ones reasonable etc. 

if you didn't feel anything, then you may as well go and watch something else :P I suggest watching horses. Or volunteering. Or volunteering at a stables.

loving a fictional character in a romantic way, though, is a problem. Only real people can be loved. Fictional characters are idealisations. I have known a few people who have fallen in love with idealisations  and it wasn't healthy. 

Like shipping, the depths of this topic are extremely interesting, and not that surprising. Crushes on fictional characters have some pretty strong roots in how we process emotions, what we desire, our idealized self, idealized partner, and how art impacts us as a species. Whether it’s Rhett Butler, Rick Blaine, Sabrina Spellman, or Twilight Sparkle, humans have been crushing on fictional characters longer than anyone here has been alive. 

As @The Wife of Sabo said, the reasons vary as to what brings about a crush. I would imagine it’s pretty similar to an IRL attraction for some. Someone about the person’s look/design, voice, personality, etc. catches their attention and emotions go from there. 

Fictional crushes do not happen to the exclusion of a real interpersonal romantic relationship. I’ve been married twice, and have/had a healthy relationship with both. I’ve also experienced the allure of a well-crafted fictional character in all forms of media (text, live action, gaming, animation). While most are human, one or two are not. For me, I’m built to fall for the personality and intellect first. It’s/was the same with my spouses. My current wife has a great affinity for anti-hero bad boy types like Jackson on Sons of Anarchy, so she isn’t immune either. 

I think as long as we have this drive as a species to make and consume art, humans will always fall for fictional characters at some level. 

• Brohoof 5

20 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Like shipping, the depths of this topic are extremely interesting, and not that surprising. Crushes on fictional characters have some pretty strong roots in how we process emotions, what we desire, our idealized self, idealized partner, and how art impacts us as a species. Whether it’s Rhett Butler, Rick Blaine, Sabrina Spellman, or Twilight Sparkle, humans have been crushing on fictional characters longer than anyone here has been alive. 

As @The Wife of Sabo said, the reasons vary as to what brings about a crush. I would imagine it’s pretty similar to an IRL attraction for some. Someone about the person’s look/design, voice, personality, etc. catches their attention and emotions go from there. 

Fictional crushes do not happen to the exclusion of a real interpersonal romantic relationship. I’ve been married twice, and have/had a healthy relationship with both. I’ve also experienced the allure of a well-crafted fictional character in all forms of media (text, live action, gaming, animation). While most are human, one or two are not. For me, I’m built to fall for the personality and intellect first. It’s/was the same with my spouses. My current wife has a great affinity for anti-hero bad boy types like Jackson on Sons of Anarchy, so she isn’t immune either. 

I think as long as we have this drive as a species to make and consume art, humans will always fall for fictional characters at some level. 

Someone weird enough is bound to fall for something:muffins:.

*Looks in a mirror*:derp:

• Brohoof 1

I used to not understand it and for the most part I still don’t… but I’ve come to really enjoy some of the guys from Genshin Impact :P 

It’s not to the point of desiring a relationship with them though, more just appreciating how they are well-designed, smoothly animated, have great voice acting, and have engaging backstories and/or story involvement.

I don’t think it’s usually an issue as long as one doesn’t go too far. Self-explanatory (I hope)…

• Brohoof 1

Emily from The Corpse Bride, and Sally from Nightmare before Christmas. Yeah... I was a little weird as a child. I am still weird, by the way. That is the short answer.

But then this "idea" was always there; this idea that I became enamored with. Since I have lived inside my head since childhood. Especially in a family where most real relationships ended tragically. Because you can do everything right and life still manages to screw you over. Like your wife dying of cancer early on, and your daughter hating you for the rest of your life because you cheated on her terminal mother during a difficult time.

So, the ideal me is living with the ideal of her. It is beautiful and mellow. Love feels real. I've seen so many relationships that are spiteful and miserable. But not here. A relationship that does not wither. No illness. No suffering. No violence. No betrayal. I see it, and we are still embraced. We are not hurting because we are not alive. And we do not get old because we were never born.

I've always been this way. I remember "looking for her" since I was a child. Insane, I know. But my genetic condition has not only affected my physical development, but also my psyche, to the point I have become separated from myself. Like with my mother, for example. Waiting for the perfect person that does not exist. Yet finding such hope within said ideal, that she still sees the world with the wonder of a child. Both sad and beautiful. Yes, self-hatred and depersonalization is a common theme in this family.

And I am not entirely here, either. Which explains the autistic behaviour. You really feel out of place. And do not like people in general. Because you are not normal yourself. Makes sense, right?

Since normal people have discriminated me because of my genetic condition. But when I close my eyes. She still looks at me with the same love as the first day. She is the only one who has accepted me as I am. Even when I cannot accept myself. So, you can imagine how much I love her.

(Funny, 2023 characters. How does that even work?).

Edited by They call me Loyalty

• 3 weeks later...

I never have crushes like ‘simping’ for animated characters. If it’s a guy it’s more like a man crush ( *cough Nanami Kento) and for girls is more like admiration for their beauty. I don’t feel the need to fall in “love” with something that’s not real. :maud: Just admiration for their characters.

As a teenager, I liked Tamaki from Ouran High School Host Club.

I don't crush on animated characters, though. That was just back when I was a teenager.

I have several animated crushes and I don’t see it as a  big deal like some people. You like what you like! As long as you have certain boundaries and don’t hurt anyone, I think you are fine! 

• 6 months later...

soifon and nel from bleach. Hawkeye from fma, uhh raven from teen titans and Cythia from Pokémon. Asami for avatar. that’s all of the ones I can think of

Edited by Twitchy-Tremor
I remembered another one right after I press post