Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things You Had to Learn The Hard Way

Shanks

We all have to learn a thing or  two in this life but some of the most valuable yet often painful lessons come from learning them the hard way. Two recent lessons come to mind for me. I have been practicing driving for a while so I can get my license, I have been taking lessons but have also been practicing with my aunts boyfriend (we will call him Ray both because it is easier and that is his actual name) who knows a lot about cars. The car I have been practicing in is a 1994 Lexus LS400 which while it has been put through its paces is still in relatively good condition and will be my car once I get my license.

Ray gets a back injury leaving the car out of use for 2 straight months, I try to start the car after all that time only to find out that the battery is dead. It gets jumped but is not left running long enough to keep a good charge so it has to be jumped again. After this second jump Ray was recovered enough from his back injury for me to practice with him again which we did. I also took his advice and had the car run for at least a half hour 2-3 times a week which I did but the battery died AGAIN. I skip one day, just one after I let the car run for 3 days in a row for at least a half hour and it still died. I bought a jumper box in case but it turned out to the wrong one, luckily Ray came with me and I returned the wrong one and got the right one. A few days later I used the box to successfully jump it and ever since then have started the car every single day for a half hour without skipped a day EVER no matter what.

I learned the hard way to never ever EVER let an older car sit without being started for prolonged periods of time. I also recently learned at work a few days ago that you can't buy hot food with an EBT card (food stamps). A customer asked me if he could buy fried chicken on food stamps and since I witnessed customers buy as well as rung up several customers myself for every junk food you can think of with their efforts to pay with food stamps going through with no problems aside from the cards often getting de magnetized from frequent use/wear and tear.

Since I had no reason to assume otherwise I said "yes" and he comes through my line a few minutes later with a Family Meal Deal, tries to run his EBT card to pay for it and it dosen't go through, it not going through scared the shit out of me because I thought something was wrong with the computer. It took my manager coming over and explaining it to me to make me realize that I was completely wrong meaning that with no other means to pay the food had to be taken back to the Service Deli.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy

It's not a good idea to go off the antidepressants.

Yeah, I've been there. I once went off anti-depressive medication. I became rather aggressive and easily frustrated, it wasn't very nice.

I once put my finger on a plug pin connected to the mains. I have to say, it didn't bloody tickle.

I did something very similar to that and wonder how in the frag I am still alive after that, I didn't suffer any serious damage but I can't even begin to describe what it felt like.

It's not a good idea to go off the antidepressants.

In my personal experience it depends, antidepressants can have some rather dangerous side effects and I have experienced some of them, some people can get off them successfully without issue and I am one of them while others unfortunately can't.

How to read expressions and body language. Joys of growing up with an autistic spectrum disorder, instead of socializing being a natural, fluid process, I had to break it down into units and formulas in order to make sense of it with anything approaching successful reading of people.

• Brohoof 4

How to read expressions and body language. Joys of growing up with an autistic spectrum disorder, instead of socializing being a natural, fluid process, I had to break it down into units and formulas in order to make sense of it with anything approaching successful reading of people.

Formulas? Please share. I haven't had much luck creating formulas describing the illogical race of people.

@@Knight Hadron

Basically it's a matter of having to keep constant attention on people's eyebrows and lips to gauge whether they are pleased or displeased as I'm talking. A lot of trial and error, along with memorization, and I've learned the buzzwords for making a person feel better.

Same here, I am also on the Autism Spectrum. I improved a great deal over the years, I went from the kid who had meltdowns almost every day and serious sensory issues to an adult that can for the most part pass for "normal" though I still have some challenges. These challenges manifest themselves the most at work actually, I work as a dairy clerk and backup checker at a grocery store and with the exception of my bad knee sometimes acting up I thrive in the back but have trouble up front. I have to actually shut down parts of my brain so I can drown out all the unnecessary sensory information going around around me which most people can filter out just so I can concentrate in the checkstands. This causes me to come off as robotic and distant to some customers which they sometimes misinterpret as me being rude or apathetic, when I make a mistake I tend to panic easily and can often be my own harshest critic which can cause meltdowns and dealing with 2 (now one sense the one of them quit) employees who have been a serious pain the ass, one of them being the closing manager along with my store being the 3 busiest in the entire company makes matters that much worse and causes me some rather serious stress and anxiety.

I had to learn the rules of the forums the hard way, which was good. I think I have really improved as a person since then :)

Cars are expensive.

You can do almost anything if you have the money for it, if you don't no one cares about you.

Never trust anyone, never expect anything from anybody.

Wearing expensive brand clothes makes people like you more.

Getting a science Bachelors means lots of math.

If you have dyscalculia, Trigonometry becomes really hard really fast.

If you can't pass Trig, you can't get a Bachelor's of Science.

@@Knight Hadron

Basically it's a matter of having to keep constant attention on people's eyebrows and lips to gauge whether they are pleased or displeased as I'm talking. A lot of trial and error, along with memorization, and I've learned the buzzwords for making a person feel better.

So, when talking, you try to please the other person? I can think of many problems with striving to please. Though I agree with watching body language...if only I was quicker at it.

Getting a science Bachelors means lots of math.

If you have dyscalculia, Trigonometry becomes really hard really fast.

If you can't pass Trig, you can't get a Bachelor's of Science.

I didn't think Trig had calculus.

That my Dreams wouldnt come true...none of them...

First of i wanted to be Movie Director...well, but were i live, there is no place were you can actually learn that, thats far away from were i live and i would have moved and lived in a new town...and by my shyness...no, by all means, that would have been to much for me, also it costs a lot of money to study that and i didnt even had a good enough education to study anyway...so that Dream was gone.

Than i was gonna be a Media Designer and i actually got chosen for the course, but then i was so nervous that i had so much stomach pain, that every day i thought i have to trow up...it was so horrible that i never actually designed everything the way i wanted. I was to nervous and shy to draw the creature things i normally draw and so i failed the class.

I just couldnt, i felt just so sick this entire time..with all the presenting in front of a class. Oh and i had a 6 in math...even with actual extra help lessons.

So, another Dream gone.

Then i was just gonna work at a warehouse and i was actually kinda happy, i worked their 2 months and that could have been my new job  :D

But the people are pretty rough, so they told me i shouldnt work there, with my shyness..and lack of social skills because i would have many problems there...

Oh! Also im allergic to dust.....YAAAAYYYY!!!  :D

:(   And now?...I dont know...i honestly have no idea what to do anymore...

I didn't get to calculus. That was beyond trig.  :okiedokielokie:

But you said dyscalculia. Calculia=calculus?

---

Oh wait, dyscalculia is a real thing, not a made up word. I should have googled it before responding. Sorry for my stupidities. :)

• Brohoof 1

Don't test out a stapler by putting your thumb in it.  Don't leave muffins in the microwave for more than 30 seconds.  Don't put potatoes in the microwave without poking holes in them.  Don't forget about whatever you're cooking at the moment.  Don't watch cute horror at night without a friend.  Don't think that guys flirting with you means you're popular.  Don't expect yourself to ever live the latter down until graduation because everyone knows the story and will constantly remind you of it.  Don't go on believing that people will always accept you for who you are. 

Don't forget that your few closest friends and your family still love and accept you and that's all that matters.

Edited by Akari of Duskshire