Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things You Had to Learn The Hard Way

Shanks

Always say what you feel, if you don't your friend grows up to be the biggest cockhole in town and you end up hating him enough to warn his girlfriend (who is also a good friend) that he WILL cheat on her and you know he will because you've know him for years and seen what he has become, so then she starts hating you and 2 years down the line lo and behold he cheats on her and she comes crawling back telling you how you were right.

Basically, if you don't speak your mind (in the right situations of course) bad things can happen e.g. friends getting hurt and you could of prevented it or at least tried to.

I would say don't turn your back on somepony who really needs you. I like to describe myself as a realistic person. I used to be the kind of person who's like "deal with your own problems, if you can't solve them by yourself, you are nothing", "nobody said life was easy, or fair, deal with it" and "you were born alone, and you will die alone". But hey, people have feelings and different points of view, also different conditions, you will never understand how is somepony else feeling. Last year, my sister was in big trouble and I refused to help her, just because "it was her fault". Even if I was right, I wish I never turned my back to my own sister. A couple of months ago I was depressed to almost death, and when I asked for help, even my boyfriend turned his back on me. My first thought was "you deserve this, you did the same to your sister". And yeah, nobody likes it when the joke is on you, not even when you know you actually deserve it... 

• Brohoof 1

I learned that just because you are a good friend to someone, doesn't mean it will be reciprocated. I realized that some people are conditional friendship users. They're buddy-buddy, when they have no one else, but when they find someone they feel is better, they drop you like a hot potato.

That was tough to learn. I was the best possible friend to her; I gave her my literal shoulder to cry on; comforted her when she was scared; and to her it meant nothing. I should have called a duck a duck and ended our friendship, but was naive enough to think she would change. In the end, she discarded me for someone else, which left me feeling like a fool. You live and you learn.

• Brohoof 1

Staying in your room can lead to a hedonistic lifestyle - bad 

I suppose a little "heonism" isn't necessarily a bad thing, it is all about balance and control. Enough to take the edge off but not so much to where it runs my life, a difficult lesson that I think I will add to the list of ones I learned the hard way.

I learned that just because you are a good friend to someone, doesn't mean it will be reciprocated. I realized that some people are conditional friendship users. 

There are all kinds of reasons for someone to be a false friend to someone, I had to deal with that a lot in middle school and high school. A lot of my fellow students used my difficulties with socialization thanks to being on the Autism spectrum to take advantage of me simply to screw with me and that and other factors caused me to lash out and in some cases even become violent. Learning those important social tools to tell peoples true intentions didn't come easily to me but it eventually came to where I now have a strong nose for sniffing out BS.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

-Honesty, is not the universal best policy. I used to tell the truth to my parents all the time, but, from a few years before, I've been telling some lies to them

-What it's best, being egotistical, or pleasing others at your expense and having nothing in return? In other words: who you should let be egotistical, me, or others? I pick me

-It's better to be alone, or with bad company? Alone be it then

-Workout is good in many aspects other than just health and weight, and I've learned that after my 20s. Well, better late than never I guess

-Sometimes, you need to get violent to make douches to stop harming you

-Family, is not worth being miserable for

-Always pick the lesser of two evils

Not everyone you share commonalities with is your friend.

A wolf can wear a sheep's clothing, open yourself to only those you really trust, and be very careful with who you choose to trust.

Have a voice, being too submissive gets you walked over.

Neither a borrower, nor a lender, be.

Don't stand in a puddle while you're using anything plugged into the wall. Fortunately for me, I only felt a really weird buzzing sensation rather than getting fried.

One thing happened very recently that I learned, do not just have one moderator on Twitch. What happened was a bunch of people from a raid forum invaded my stream and made it horrible for everyone, and the one mod that was available was overwhelmed. I realized that having just one moderator is a horrible idea. So, badabing, more mods. :3 

Also, if this counts, learning to love myself for who I am is pretty friggin' hard too.

Social skills really matter. When someone invites you to a party, go. When someone asks you a question, answer. A club you're interested in? Join it. If there is an opportunity to do something great, even if it means stepping out of your comfort zone, do it.

There have been a lot of missed opportunities in my life, I regret not taking those chances. Opportunities rarely come back after they've gone.

Always, always, get a chance to know people. Talk. Joke around. Laugh. Make friends. Never let your insecurity or fear get the best of you. Otherwise, it will start to control you.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had to learn when someone tells you not to go somewhere, you listen to what they say. I remember back when I was around 8 or 9 years old. When hanging out I saw my friend's backyard and saw that they had a pool and a backyard play set. I wanted to go in a check out what their backyard looked like, but my friend told us his mom said no. Curiosity getting the better of me, I decided to go into the backyard and check it out regardless of my friend saying yes or no. When taking a few steps in I saw a German Sheppard coming out from around the corner of the house. As soon as I saw the dog I turned around and ran as fast as I can to the gate to get away. When I reached the gate however, the dog made his way up to me and bit down on my leg. I remember screaming at the top of my lungs, and I had to go to the hospital to get stitches on my leg. I have a scar on my leg from what happened, and I learned not to go somewhere when someone tells you no. 

How important it is to focus on the good in life and not dwell on the evil. There was a time, long, long ago, when I was not that far away from losing my sanity and compassion. Thankfully, that's in the distant past, and I've been in a continual process of evolving mentally and spiritually. Evil is like a blindfold: dwelling on it and inviting it into your heart can easily blind you to all the good that there is, both in the world and in yourself.

• Brohoof 2

this thread looks rather familiar... almost like it was reused on a different forum... anyways my answer is the same don't jump in deep water when you cannot swim... I got exited when our pool was finally finished and I jumped right in...

Edited by Snowflake Frostflame

Never fall or jump into a lake around 12:00 at night near a fishing dock and rocky waves

(Unfortunately I fell into the lake and without wanting to while fishing on my dad's boat at I basically froze up in the water)

Learning to appreciate everything you have in life, and learning that absolutely nothing in your future is certain.

That one hit me HARD and all at once. Right out of high school some of my worst nightmares (and I mean, the very worst) started to become a reality.

...Yet, here I sit with the username 'Envy'... >.<

Edited by Envy

Not everyone will like you. I had an aunt and uncle that absolutely loathed me, and I never found out the reason why. I was only eleven at the time I met them, and as the years went by, they just did everything in their power to bring me down. I was extremely depressed about it for some time, because I desperately wanted people's approval, but after never getting it, I realized I did nothing wrong at all. Sometimes, people will just make your life miserable because they feel like it.

Well, not so long ago (June to be exact), I was playing with fire. SO.. I got the lighter, and a big 1 gallon water bottle and WD-40 and I sprayed WD-40 In the bottle while having the lighter on, and then the air pressure inside the bottle caused the fire to go up instead of down, therefore, causing a 2nd Degree burn on my right hand. I'm glad my hand didn't get blown off, since the damn fire went up pretty fast and HOTT!! I couldn't sleep for 2 days straight, agonizing in the pain.

WELL, there is a lesson to be learned here, Don't play with fire!!! Or else you might get yourself killed!!

• 4 years later...