Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Games that you loved before but don't enjoy now?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

Some games age better than others and some games age in such a way that even our nostalgia cannot make us enjoy the game like we once did before. Are there any games that make you feel this way? 

For me, a big one that springs to mind is Left 4 Dead. Now, I am sure if it was re-released and updated with more modern features and stat tracking, I could maybe get back into it, but as it stands, I cannot get much enjoyment out of the games anymore, They now come across as boring to me and I used to absolutely love the games with a passion. That passion now is hard to get back for those games. 

The original Metroid, which makes me thankful for the remake Metroid Zero Mission, which was better in absolutely every way

FFVII can also be a bit of a pain sometimes, even though I still love it. In particular, any forced mini-game(minus the Motorcycle section, that was fun) and the beginning with Midgar is such a boring slog to go through. I always try to make sure I have a separate file saved after I escape just so I don't have to deal with it anymore

I also love Sonic Adventure 2, but I always see myself mainly replaying the Sonic and Shadow levels, as those were some of the absolute best moments in the entire game, but the other parts(treasure hunting and the robots) were really just too much of a hassle to deal with ever again(though I'll always love Pumpkin Hill, just as much as the Sonic/Shadow levels)

Edited by Gattai
  • Brohoof 1

A game I used to love but got boring for me is Spore.  It glitches on my new computer, and I just got too pro at it.  I controlled the whole center and 2 arms of the galaxy, but the gameplay in general just got too boring after playing that game for 2-3 years.  I highly recommend it if you haven't tried it before, it's a great game!  Its just that all games get boring eventually.

The original Metroid, which makes me thankful for the remake Metroid Zero Mission, which was better in absolutely every way

FFVII can also be a bit of a pain sometimes, even though I still love it. In particular, any forced mini-game and the beginning with Midgar is such a boring slog to go through. I always try to make sure I have a separate file saved after I escape just so I don't have to deal with it anymore

I never played the original Metroid much or the remake but I can definitely agree with FF7 here. The beginning is the worst aspect of it in my opinion, one of the slowest beginnings to any of the FF games in my opinion, that I have played at least.

• Brohoof 1

Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64. I bought them both on the Wii VC, and I found them to be rather fun and 2 of the best in the franchise, but after playing Mario Kart Double Dash, Wii and 7 (haven't played 8), I honestly feel those games are rather difficult to go back to and enjoy.

Edited by Angry Cartoon Nerd
  • Brohoof 1

The Crash Bandicoot series. Before I stopped playing it, I owned all of the games (except for N. Tranced and The Big Adventure). I loved how fun the series is and how it is a huge staple to my childhood. I mean, it's the series that has introduced me to the world of gaming. But overtime, I grew up, and I wanted to find ways to expand on my taste on video games. As I got older, I grew a more critical eye on games and realised how mediocre of a series Crash Bandicoot is. The levels within the series is linear and easy, the characters aren't interesting, the stories aren't anything special and the overall gameplay isn't something that should be praised. Overall it's just a standard platformer with no twists to it.

That's not to say I hate everything about the Crash Bandicoot series however. I like how it's set in Australia which you don't see too often in games. The music within this series is also fantastic as well. On occasion, I will even listen to some of it for how well done it is. But unfortunately I just can't get into it anymore. I would like to get back into it, really! But because of the problems I have with this series, I just don't really want to remember it that much anymore. I also find it irritating when I find people who like this series only because of nostalgia, but that's another rant for another time.

Left 4 Dead 2, Sonic & All-Star Racing Transformed, all of Call of Duty, Spiderman 64, Bomberman 64, Goldeneye Reloaded (I wish I can try this game one more time to be sure), Marvel vs Capcom 2 and 3 (and most fighting games with online play).

Probably missing out a lot more but those are the games I enjoy in the past but I just don't like them now.

Starcraft: a classic yet buggy game concept, ruined by E-$ports and incompetence. Though, it’s not just about the game anymore but about transparency and innovative design of future RTS games.

Red Bull guzzling Starclickers, bootlicking Blizdrones, gibbering TLiquidators, and other malfeasant keyboard smashers had finally achieved the unthinkable: they had turned what could have been an innovative, interesting, and massively popular RTS, and reduced it to E-masturbation software for nolifing goons that think it’s proper business that you spend all free time with a game just so you can produce units properly. Once you get that carpal tunnel syndrome going, feel free to immerse yourself into a half-baked product; uninteresting, flavorless units that only exist to fill each faction’s competitive void, and a crummy stench of elitism. To make matters worse, it took industry years just to figure out that SC II is shit and that they should look at it as shit that only sells well cause story and brand name. Perhaps now that all the rats have abandoned ship, and even Davin Kim is trying his best to hide the fact he’s a complete idiot that can’t design games to save his life, perhaps now we shall finally get some new RTS both dirty casuals and pros can enjoy not cause E-$ports, but cause it’ll actually be good.

So here’s a pony lesson: Don’t design games so they can just be played but so they can be played with! Know the damn difference and stop being shit!

I could have made a more constructive rant, but I just had to get this off my chest. Wow, I feel much better now. I’m almost tempted to paste it on TL.

I once liked to play Zoo Tycoon in my free time. Once in a while I take it out and pop it into my laptop just for the heck of it. It no longer holds the fun it once did though sadly.  

Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64. I bought them both on the Wii VC, and I found them to be rather fun and 2 of the best in the franchise, but after playing Mario Kart Double Dash, Wii and 7 (haven't played 8), I honestly feel those games are rather difficult to go back to and enjoy.

Absolutely agree with Mario Kart 64. I absolutely love it when playing with a friend still, it is still a blast then, but solo, the game has a lot of problems that are obvious now. The rubber banding is crazy in that game. 

• Brohoof 1

The one big one that stands out in my mind: World of Tanks.

I used to be really interested in the game, but slowly the community more and more toxic.

This ties in with clans, as it degraded so did my interest in competing in various events and such. 

Well, there are no individual games that come to mind but ALL of my WII games I really don't like to play (Except Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock)

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way with most WII games. It feels like Nintendo were focusing on better graphics at the expense of gaming experience. Most games were awful, and most in-house game felt hollow in comparison to many GCN games, which ultimately led me to buy a PS3 mid generation, and I've hardly touched the WII since. Note: I've started over Mario Galaxy again weeks ago, and checking my old save files, my oldest one was in 2009 O-O

I used to love Pokemon, but I've got bored of it for a while now

The Game Alien Nations.

Its a game in which you build a functional town with different alien races.

I loved it as a kid and played hours with it, but after i played it recently...i got bored really fast.

I cant really tell why, but all of a sudden i dont like this game anymore :wacko:  

Mario and Donkey Kong, Mini Land Mayhem. Sure, it was fun for a while, but now there's nothing new to discover (aside from all the garbage levels which are somehow famous on the wi-fi connection), and I'm not the best at creating levels either. Is my passion completely gone? No, I could probably find it fun enough to make a challenging level. But do I love it like I used to? Certainly not.

Mario and Donkey Kong, Mini Land Mayhem. Sure, it was fun for a while, but now there's nothing new to discover (aside from all the garbage levels which are somehow famous on the wi-fi connection), and I'm not the best at creating levels either. Is my passion completely gone? No, I could probably find it fun enough to make a challenging level. But do I love it like I used to? Certainly not.

I totally understand and agree with you~ ;) 

• Brohoof 1

The Game Alien Nations.

Its a game in which you build a functional town with different alien races.

I loved it as a kid and played hours with it, but after i played it recently...i got bored really fast.

I cant really tell why, but all of a sudden i dont like this game anymore :wacko:  

Never heard of this game before. :o Sounds a bit like Alien Simcity. XD I could never get into Simcity myself so I probably would get bored of that one pretty quick.

@ Kyoshi

Its not exactly like SimCity, the game is most likely based on The Settlers, which is a popular town building game here in germany. You try to develop your tribe , try to invent new things by spending money on science, develop weapons and can even have wars with other tribes. 

Have no idea if The Settlers its popular elsewhere and if the name even tells you something  :lol: