Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Games that you loved before but don't enjoy now?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

A lot of Sonic games for me, most notably shadow the hedgehog. Guns? Motorbikes? Hell yeah! But now, eh, it just feels awful. there's a bunch of missions that just feel kinda lame and boring, and the whole badass factor doesn't really appeal to me anymore with so many games these days not afraid to take risks. What's that? Knuckles said damn? Cool, but it's not exactly pegi 18

The Kingdom Hearts series keeps getting more and more convoluted and frustrating with each new game, but Dream Drop Distance was officially my breaking point.

I'll give it one last chance with KH3, but if it just continues the pattern, then I'm out this b***h for good.

Edited by A.V.

• 4 months later...

bump!1

I hate to say it, but Team Fortress 2. When I installed it on my PC for the first time, it was one of those games that I would spend long amounts of time playing at once, but only about half a year in, it just got really stale to me. It kind of started with the gun mettle update, and from then on a lot of the updates just started feeling like they were piggybacking off of Counter Strike: Global Offensive, and it doesn't help that most of the community these days is "LOL HATS = SKILL XD"

I'm sorry, but it just lost it's touch for me as of late.

Why not try Left 4 Dead 2, its superior? It's kinda ironic, I went back to Left 4 Dead...well, Left 4 Dead 2. It's my favorite game in the world, mostly for all the memories it brings I think.

Anyway...

as for me, a game I used to love but can't play anymore would be Grand Theft Auto 5. I can't even put it in my console. I would hate it. It's boring. The story was lacking. The characters were...eh...

Anyhow, I can't stand it anymore. I used to love the characters and the customizations just a few weeks ago, but now I can't play it. People always talk about how huge the map is...the majority of it is empty desert and mountains, anyhow.

Peekaboo.  It's more or less lost the inexplicable appeal it had when I was a child.

Oh, you meant video games... .. . ... .  Crap.  I still enjoy most of the games I used to enjoy.  I'll admit that I've little patience nowadays for some PS1 titles; their loading times and otherwise sluggish performance (particularly where RPGs are concerned) can be maddening.

• Brohoof 2

Peekaboo.  It's more or less lost the inexplicable appeal it had when I was a child.

2vxlzx1.gif

Anyway, I would have to say I really don't enjoy "realistic" FPS games anymore. Used to be really into stuff like Action Quake 2, Counterstrike, Battlefield etc. I still like FPS games, but less realistic ones.

• Brohoof 1

Pokemon is one of the video games series I don't think I would ever pick up again. I think I got my fill of Pokemon after Red/Blue version. I felt no need to play any of the later games.

I'd probably say The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I used to play the hell out of it when the game was new. Now? While it's a good game, it hasn't aged well at all, and feels rough on the edges at some points.

Mario Kart 64 for the same reason, and especially Super Mario Kart. I think both games are completely outclassed by their successors.

The Pokémon series as a whole. I've loved it for 15 or so years, but since the beginning of this year I've realised how really bad this series is.

Once upon a time, Pokémon was a fantastic series that has done things differently from other RPGs. Although it is easier than most, its strongest point was how you have more choice on which characters you'd choose throughout the course of the game. Typically most RPGs have about 7 characters to play as, but with Pokémon it was around 600+. It makes the gameplay more fun and gives you more time to figure out new strategies. But even outside of the battling side, the character designs of most of these superpowered creatures look really nice as well. They don't look simplistic, yet not overly detailed either. As a result, it makes them easy to recognise and all around just appealing to look at.

But with each new generation, it's pretty much the same thing over and over again. The only time the battling mechanics has ever gotten a major change was in Gen IV with the Physical/Special split as well as new types like Fairy and Steel, but that's it. It really was just the same battle mechanics you've experienced since the Red/Blue days. I wouldn't be so bothered with it staying the same if the stories or if the main goal was different, but even all of the stories in the main series practically share the same formula. The only two games in Pokémon that have really good stories are Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness, but they're unfortunately not too popular.

The marketing of the Pokémon series is also really painful to think about. Although it doesn't have much to do with the games themselves, it is really heartbreaking to see how much of a Franchise Zombie Pokémon is. Heck, the 20th Anniversary is one of the reasons why I don't follow the series anymore. With so much attention they give to Red/Blue instead of the series as a whole, it really implies how much Game Freak really don't want to remember or do anything beyond the first generation. Usually, I'm not the kind of person who is bothered by merchandise and whatnot, but when I see Pokémon do stuff like that, it doesn't make me want to support their products. I want for the series to have a quiet ending instead of seeing it trying to keep itself alive by releasing the same game over and over again.

It's certainly a series I don't want to look back to again. I've had my fill with it and I can't be bothered thinking about how much it has been milked to death.

Edited by Entropy

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron. I loved that game as a kid. Didn't care about objectives and mission completes. I just wanted to blow stuff up. Now after touching it for the first time in a decade, I couldn't quite get back into it. 

Jurassic park: Operation genesis & Smogon battle simulator.

Operation genesis was fun for a while, but I got bored since it was a "Rinse and repeat" type of game. Collect dna, build enclosure, all de likes. That's exactly how the game was, rollercoaster tycoon with dinosaurs.

Smogon battle simulator was fun, but got boring after a while because all my friends started playing to win. At first we all made teams based on our favourite pokemon and we all had fun, but then one of them made a team of nothing but uber-tier pokemon and everybody started doing it. One of them made an all-Arceus team, and after that, everybody just started using whatever won a match. So I stopped playing because it wasn't fun anymore.

The closest I've come to this is the face that I've played through Symphony of the Night and Wild Arms 2 so many times that I just can't bring myself to do it anymore. I love the games the same but playing them? I've no desire. Too many other games that I haven't played yet. I can't play one game several times. It's a miracle I could for those games.

I love the Super Mario series and lore but I don't enjoy playing the platform Mario games anymore. My platforming skills have never been that great and in the past several years I realized that it was becoming a waste for me to buy the Mario games. The last Mario game I did beat was Super Mario Galaxy but I have not completed the 2nd game.

I did buy Mario Maker out of wanting to try building Mario levels but I'm just not as drawn to it lately.

Edited by Captain Doubloon

I'm not a fan of the Sonic franchise anymore. Most of the older games are still good but I don't have interest in any upcoming games in the franchise.

Edited by Darkness Nightmare

There are a couple of games, but the one I loved the most used to be Minecraft. I played it for 4 years before it started to get stale and now I can't stand playing more than an hour of it. It's just so boring now that I've done pretty much everything. I tried community servers, mods, challenges, but nothing has brought back that spark. I've moved on to other games thanks to Steam, but Minecraft was the game that made me love gaming.

OK, I hardly enjoy OOT these days. Everytime I pick the N64, is to play either Paper Mario, or Majora. Another I've never played past the first time I've finish them, are the Devil May Cries, and God of Wars, choosing Lords of Shadow over them

I have a few. The biggest is Pokemon. It was basically the only thing anybody ever did when I was in elementary school. I played and loved every generation up until very recently. I put a few hundred hours into X, did some IV breeding, some EV training, some online battles. Got Alpha Ruby when it came out, still haven't finished it because it's gotten really boring. It doesn't help that the games are so much easier than they used to be, and I guess I'm just pokemon'd out.

I used to play a ton of TF2, but I quit for awhile and played other shooters. Tried to play TF2 again and now I'm terrible, so I don't know what happened there. Planetside 2 is pretty mich the only FPS I play these days.

Minecraft used to be really fun, but now I'm good enough that even on hardcore mode, it's not hard to get a nice base going and then be untouchable. The Nether isn't very interesting. Neither the End nor the Wither are interesting enough to grind for. There's just no reason to play other than to see what cool shit worldgen throws at me. Luckily I have a pretty good computer so I can do some weird custom world rules, but that's about it.

With so much attention they give to Red/Blue instead of the series as a whole, it really implies how much Game Freak really don't want to remember or do anything beyond the first generation.

lolwut

They remake one of the older generation games like every few years.