Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler How should the show approach Cadence and Shining now?

Cleverclover

The writers need to handle this subject properly. They can't simply throw a kid on Shining Armor and Cadence like it's no big deal. They need to treat this like the life-changing event that it is. There needs to be at least one episode focusing on their readiness for parenthood, as well as Twilight focusing on how prepared she is to be a competent aunt. 

I was somewhat hoping that today's episode would address this to some extent, but instead I guess it was more important that we had a one-note, substance-less episode based around one simple gag....for some reason.  >_>

• Brohoof 3

As someone who went though this, yeah I would seriously hope that we don't get a ep where the foal is all of a sudden born. Seriously wasted potential.

You brought up the Aunt angle. I want either an maternity ep where both Cadance and Shining are in freak out mode, or new parent stress after the foal is born. Both are great platforms for moral based story telling.

• Brohoof 2

We already got a similar episode in Baby Cakes. Not that they won't do it, but it would feel rather repetitive.

Also...that spoiler in the title...

Edited by Wubtavia
  • Brohoof 2

Agreeing with this. Cadence and Shining Armor deserves better than to just have the baby thrown out there. I mean....that's pretty much how their relationship was introduced to us....that's how both Shining Armor and Cadence were introduced to us: they were thrown at us. I was a bit shocked how much of an impact Twilight claimed both Shining Armor and Cadence had on her as a child but we never heard of them until the premiere where it seemed their love and relationship was the focus of the show?

So please....please let this not happen to the baby. IT DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS!

• Brohoof 1

I don't see why being an aunt would carry much responsibility.

I do hope we get to see some development on the baby before it's born, but honestly, we're talking about characters that only have a few appearances each season. As mentioned, an episode focusing on whether or not they're ready to be parents would tread the same territory as Baby Cakes, although I guess a clever person could somehow put a different spin on it. I'm sure Twilight getting a niece, and that niece most likely being a fifth alicorn, means it will have some spotlight. Whether we will have an episode focusing on it before its birth is up in the air. It's not like the worries about becoming a parent is something super relatable or relevant for the intended audience anyway.

Edited by Arrowstormen

There needs to be at least one episode focusing on their readiness for parenthood,

Why? They're royalty. They can just get a babysitter to watch their child like Twilight had.

and that niece most likely being a fifth alicorn,

How? An alicorn has to be the princess of something. What would a baby be a princess of?

Of course...this is gonna deal with the toy line...I just hope that the episode is written well. 

I wouldn't be so sure, pound and pumkincake don't have toys. I think they just made skyla because fans kept talking about them having skyla due to the princess skyla toy from around the Wedding.

So the staff decided "hey, bronies like that idea, lets just throw it in" and went with it. I don't think hasbro has any intention of doing any skyla toys as a big push anytime soon.

Heck, cadence and shining themselves are pretty much left out of the toy push most of the time now since they have swapped over to pushing twilight full steam for toylines instead.

Why? They're royalty. They can just get a babysitter to watch their child like Twilight had.

I don't believe babysitting was the status quo for Twilight. Cadence being the Princess of Love, I doubt she'd make babysitting the status quo just because she's royalty (she will probably have to do it semi-often though). 

How? An alicorn has to be the princess of something. What would a baby be a princess of?

Twilight wasn't a princess of anything before the end of season 4. I guess we don't really know if alicorns are ever born unless they're goddesses, but like any other pony has to earn their cutie mark to know what they're good at, an alicorn baby probably also has to discover what they could be princess of. 

Edited by Arrowstormen
  • Brohoof 1

Cadence being the Princess of Love, I doubt she'd make babysitting the status quo just because she's royalty

Maybe. She does have royal duties though and she would need help to take care of her child. A princess wouldn't be expected to do it on her own. She is too important.

Twilight wasn't a princess of anything before the end of season 4. I guess we don't really know if alicorns are ever born unless they're goddesses, but like any other pony has to earn their cutie mark to know what they're good at, an alicorn baby probably also has to discover what they could be princess of.

I am sure that Twilight was meant to be the princess of friendship or else having to have completed Starswirl's spell would have been pointless. An Alicorn has to be a princess of something. All Alicorns are princesses. If a baby can be one then it would be weird since she would be too young to understand herself.

I am sure that Twilight was meant to be the princess of friendship or else having to have completed Starswirl's spell would have been pointless. An Alicorn has to be a princess of something. All Alicorns are princesses. If a baby can be one then it would be weird since she would be too young to understand herself.

And an alicorn baby would be "meant" to be the princess of something. Doesn't mean they have to be the princess of that ASAP. 

I don't think the show has ever called Cadence the Princess of Love, so before she was the ruler of the Crystal Empire, she was technically not princess of anything. 

Edited by Arrowstormen

We already dealt with taking care of babies, so, that'll be a big nope  :mellow: . However, as many explained, the anticipation would make a better choice, and focusing to the parents, and Twi preparing to be an aunt (not to mention the possible appearance of Velvet and Night Light, this is big for them too -_- ). Another plot they could make, is a villain kidnaps the baby, I mean, unlike the Cakes, we're talking about a high profile princess by birth foal, and an alicorn possibly 

• Brohoof 1

While the baby ponies in Baby Cakes were insanely cute, it really isn't one of my favorite episodes and I think the show can do without another one. If they handle it well it could still be a good episode, though.

I've gone ahead and edited the topic title and added the spoiler prefix :). Keep in mind that not everyone has seen the newest episode. It is best to wait at least a week after episode release, before one can omit the "spoiler" prefix :)

And an alicorn baby would be "meant" to be the princess of something. Doesn't mean they have to be the princess of that ASAP. 

But that's where the CMC get involved! They could actually help the young princess figure things out and find her destiny...

But that's where the CMC get involved! They could actually help the young princess figure things out and find her destiny...

Well, she has to grow up first. Which likely won't happen, unless the show miraculously will still be running ten years from now :P 

• Brohoof 1

Sounds to me like they are taking their time with it by starting off with the announcement.

Actually I take it the show is just going to mainly focus on Twilight's perspective when the birth of the foal is near while throwing in Cadence and Shining Armor in there as well without having to spend a whole lot of episodes on the matter.

Simple as that, and no the show does not have try to do any meaningful or too life changing with it in order for it to be  meaningful for that matter. Just keep it simple and straightforward and the last episode was a good start for it.

There is no need to expand a lot of episodes on the matter when there are other stories to address as well. Frankly they should keep doing what they are doing now and tell the story they want to.

Frankly I don't think the show has to do that all much on the matter at this point, and people are only setting themselves up for disappointment with all these shoulds. 

Edited by UnknownFry

I gotta say, I still liked the episode, I watched it five times 0___0

I would like the writers to place the pregnancy's importance in subtlety,

maybe coming up in small hints or brought up in casual conversation,

But I'd really like them to stress the birth,

perhaps placing it as a 2-parter in the first 2 episodes of the next season.

After the birth , the baby should be of importance in about 3 episodes(not consecutively),

nothing serious but small cutesy things like having

the CMC invested in finding the baby's cutie mark

twilight having to take care of the baby for a week

Baby's filly form comes back from the future after an attempted time spell.

then after that , It'd fade into the role of C -listers like cadence and shining armor, Only showing up when there's an important event like a summit meeting or another Equestria games.

Babysitting was just something Cadence did as a part-time job, but she grew to like sitting for Twilight because even as a filly, she was a massive nerd like Cadence XD