Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Watching the MLP movie in theaters

Zoraxe

I'm gonna see it, just try and stop me. 

Compared to some movie events, I doubt it'll be the weirdest thing anyone at your local theatre has ever seen. Take a guess of just how many people go to the see the new Star Wars film decked out in full costume. Just so long as they don't cheer and yell at particular scenes like one guy did when I went to see RR and we should be good. 

Hell yeah I'm going to see it. I'll be 18 when it comes out, and I'll have school off Thursday and Friday that weekend (senior at that point). What would be even cooler is if there's a midnight release. I'd totally show up to that. Whether or not there is a midnight release, I'm still going to see it. And either way, you can expect me to show up at the theater in a full pony suit (if I ever get around to making them). The county I live in is pretty close-minded and judgemental, so I'd be a bit worried, yet if I wore a pony suit, my entire body would be covered head to toe. I did see someone at my school with a Dr. Whooves button, so it may not be as judgemental as I thought. And since this is my senior year, this would probably be the point when I have almost no care about how others think of me, since I probably won't see them again within less than a year. Although none of the theaters I would go to are within my county.

It better get a proper theatre release here in the UK.

I got too hyped for a rumour that the 2nd EQG movie was to get a release in odeon. T'was a lie.

Although if it does get a release here, I need to get some MLP clothing and shit for it XD

Edited by Edd :3

Buy the tickets online and Google which screen to go to. That will avoid any conversation. The only interaction would be the person checking your tickets (that's how it's done where I am). Just move as quickly as possible without looking or speaking to anyone

It better get a proper theatre release here in the UK.

I got too hyped for a rumour that the 2nd EQG movie was to get a release in odeon. T'was a lie.

Although if it does get a release here, I need to get some MLP clothing and shit for it XD

I'd wear a MLP t shirt but cover it with a jacket then take it off in the actual theatre
  • Brohoof 1

Eh, its kind of funny to think of the double standard about kids movies.

An adult male going to see kung fu panda or the good dinosaur wouldn't be given a second look. But FIM does kind of throw up red flags.
I think the mane thing is that MLP Is still very much engrained into the Public mind as a cliche go to "girls" franchise that only little girls would want to watch, so the idea of an adult male going in to watch it seems "wrong" and therefore they must have another reason to be there.

Its mainly the stigma that the show accrued from the 80s that causes this issue, as for other girls movies like frozen its seen as much more acceptable and 100% ok for a guy to walk in and see it since there's no stigma against it.

YES! We need to make it the highest grossing hand drawn film since The Lion King!

I really do hope that the 2017 movie does well. After the Jem movie debacle, I really don't want hasbro's other "girls" movie to fail that hard, and I want FIM to succeed. (after all, whether we get more pony or not might be up to the movie's success).

That being said, I think its REALLY poor timing for this movie's release. You want to release a movie at the franchise's height, not its twilight. The show's ratings are plummeting and the toy sales are plateuing and looking shaky now, 2 years away from the movie. S4 would have been the ideal time to launch a movie IMO.

Yeah I'm totally watching it. Honestly I am kind of worried as how me (a guy) would be viewed as walking into an MLP movie, but..whatever. And yeah, there shouldn't be a problem with selling tickets to us.

Yeah I'm totally watching it. Honestly I am kind of worried as how me (a guy) would be viewed as walking into an MLP movie, but..whatever. And yeah, there shouldn't be a problem with selling tickets to us.

To be honest, I'll probably waste money buying a second kids Ticket when I go up to the counter to feel less awkward :P

I'll at least feel better that the movie would be decently supported by myself XD

Eh, its kind of funny to think of the double standard about kids movies.

An adult male going to see kung fu panda or the good dinosaur wouldn't be given a second look. But FIM does kind of throw up red flags.

I think the mane thing is that MLP Is still very much engrained into the Public mind as a cliche go to "girls" franchise that only little girls would want to watch, so the idea of an adult male going in to watch it seems "wrong" and therefore they must have another reason to be there.

Its mainly the stigma that the show accrued from the 80s that causes this issue, as for other girls movies like frozen its seen as much more acceptable and 100% ok for a guy to walk in and see it since there's no stigma against it.

I really do hope that the 2017 movie does well. After the Jem movie debacle, I really don't want hasbro's other "girls" movie to fail that hard, and I want FIM to succeed. (after all, whether we get more pony or not might be up to the movie's success).

That being said, I think its REALLY poor timing for this movie's release. You want to release a movie at the franchise's height, not its twilight. The show's ratings are plummeting and the toy sales are plateuing and looking shaky now, 2 years away from the movie. S4 would have been the ideal time to launch a movie IMO.

They're making it so it appeals to a general audience (not just Bronies), so I don't think the timing matters.

They're making it so it appeals to a general audience (not just Bronies), so I don't think the timing matters.

They're going to have an uphill battle there in the public mindset though. I'm going to be highly interested in how they advertise it, yeah? It's going to be interesting how they frame the previews and posters.

They're going to have an uphill battle there in the public mindset though. I'm going to be highly interested in how they advertise it, yeah? It's going to be interesting how they frame the previews and posters.

I'm guessing it will be advertised as a fantasy epic like HTTYD.

I saw EQG 1 in theaters, it was half bronies, half kids and family.

I then saw Rainbow Rocks in theaters the next year. Probably a couple dozen kids and their parents....and me. I still didn't get any shade cast at me. Everything went well.

As for the FiM movie, this is the conversation I had with myself:

Me: Are we going to the movie?

Myself: It's a movie for little girls, and everyone who works there is gonna be expecting a cringey parade of nerds

Me: So don't act like a cringey nerd?

Myself: But they'll be judging you!

Me: Who? The teenager selling tickets who makes 3x less an hour than you do?

Myself: mebbe....

Me: If you're really afraid of someone half your age, order your ticket online from Fandango. The guy who checks the tickets isn't even going to be looking at what movie you're there to see. He'll only be looking at the theater number, to give you directions.

Myself: I guess I can do that....

Me: Are you gonna wear a pony T-Shirt?

Myself: ya, if I want to be a walking pile of spaghetti

Me: It'd look worse if you dressed up. just wear a subtle pony t shirt if, again, you're afraid of some teenagers half your age, who make 3x less than you.

Myself: screw you, man

Me: By acting guilty, by acting like you have something to hide, you make it seem more and more like you're doing something wrong.

Myself: you are wise, and handsome

Me; I know, dude, I know. 

• Brohoof 1

If it's anything like EqG and RR, there will be more bronies than families.

Well, I think the FIM movie will be far more successful due to having an actual advertising budget. The EQG movies have been, lets be frank here, just simple publicity stunts. Little to no real advertising or anything trying to get the word out, no movie previews being shown before other movies, ect.

So really little kids in general even KNOWING about the movie was pretty hard to come by, yeah? As such, bronies who tend to follow FIM and stay up to date on all the news and tidbits would be far more likely to know about it than the little girls.

On the other hand, the FIM movie will no doubt have a pretty massive advertising budget dedicated to getting the word out, making sure the little girls know about it, commercials and Previews before other movies, all that jazz, to make sure parents and little kids know about the movie.

This should cause a MUCH larger influx of small children to see it than the EQG movies.

As to your experiences seeing the movie, sad to hear that. I live in a pretty conservative area, so if it was like that in Cali, where its MASSIVELY more liberal than here, I worry about going myself. Its funny, I have no issues walking in and buying tickets to other kids movies aimed at Young boys or children in general, but I'm deeply worried I'll be viewed with suspicion if I go into the MLP movie.

• Brohoof 1

I'd love to see the movie in theaters! I probably can't though because I intend to be serving a mission for my church when it comes out and it would take special permission for me to go and see it. Also, I wouldn't be allowed to go alone and I don't expect I'd be able to find another missionary who'd be interested in MLP. Oh well, I still expect it to be worth the wait!

From what I have gathered, when a US cartoon gets a 'the movie' it tends to be the end of the show, either as the swan song that closes the franchise, or the descent into seasonal rot. Hasbro may be putting the movie last as a swon song to get some more money out ofg the current gen before closing shop on G4 for good in order to create the next gen.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I am totally going to see it. I don't care if I have to drive or even bike out of state a day prior to the release!

I don't think you have to worry, its going to be a major release, and not like what they did with Equestria Girls.

They did Equestria girls like they do anime movies, a day or two in theateres in only a select few locations. The MLP movie will be in a lot more theaters for a longer period of time.

Edited by Zoraxe
  • Brohoof 1

When I saw RR, the rest of the audience had little girls and their parents. I went to see it with someone else, but we were the only 2 bronies there (that weren't parents). That was probably because I saw it a week or 2 after it came out. I hope there are more bronies when I see the upcoming movie though.

From what I have gathered, when a US cartoon gets a 'the movie' it tends to be the end of the show, either as the swan song that closes the franchise, or the descent into seasonal rot. Hasbro may be putting the movie last as a swon song to get some more money out ofg the current gen before closing shop on G4 for good in order to create the next gen.

Well there was the TMNT movies during the 90s, and Transformers went well past its movie (though its movie almost did enough damage to kill the show with killing off optimus XD)