Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pet-peeves in forum discussions/ real life discussions

Silver Stream.

Before I launch this off, there are a few things that must be covered: 

1. PLEASE refrain from targeting. Meaning pointing out individuals or a certain group rudely. For ex: "UGH I HATE PEOPLE WHO START THREADS ABOUT HOW SUNSET IS AWESOME!! SHE ISN'T" 

2. I want this to be a civilized conversation. Not a hardcore rant about how much you hate certain things. 

Forum Discussions: 

- I dislike having to repeat myself a lot. Then again, I am not surprised a lot of what I say is skimmed. At times I find it more amusing than annoying when a reply is trying to prove a point that I've already expressed xD

- Lack of understanding between two parties including myself. I've mentioned before how I will purposely stop speaking with a member if the direction of the discussion is going a way I feel isn't worth my time. I don't expect for everyone to agree with my points, but debating when we are NOT ON THE SAME PAGE AT LEAST is tiresome 

- I never understood why the moment you say "bad writing" or express the flaws of a character based off your own observation, you're deemed a terrible person and the discussion goes from trying to gather opinions and have an engaging conversation to defending yourself against accusations. 

- Controversy 

- Inability to hear their tone. It's frustrating because at times how things are typed sounds rude and targeted towards me. Even outside discussions, it feels as though "shade" is thrown everywhere. In another forum I feel the same way. My pet -peeve is more directed to the fact I'm PARANOID when it comes to not hearing the member or seeing facial expressions. I am a social person who appreciates a "face-to-face" so whenever I am online, it's almost as if I am half-blind.

-  When criticism or disagreement  is mistaken for negative shots towards someone. Personally, if you give opinions, I think it should be expected people will have different opinions. Sometimes it's annoying when a discussion turns into a full on argument because something is not agreed upon. I think peeps should keep in mind, criticism towards anything and everything is basically half of what makes up a fandom forum. I will admit to a few nearly making me forget that. 

Real Life Discussions:

- When the next person is getting too loud for my liking. Whether they are loud from anger or loud from excitement....it's SUPER loud and mechanically, I get annoyed. (I'LL ADMIT I'M GUILTY OF THIS AT TIMES)

- Constantly being interrupted. Just....oh God my eye twitches when that happens. And eventually I stop talking

- Repeating myself.....again 

- Lack of knowledge towards the topic. I REALLY hate when something is being discussed and I have no clue about any of it. Especially when it seems to be an educational topic because then I feel super super super stupid. Which is how I feel 95% of the time xD

- When I mispronounce a word. It's a huge pet-peeve like no other.

Edited by Silver Stream.
  • Brohoof 1

Forum Discussions

- Repetition: I think that this happens because people often argue past each other and they bring their own conceptions into the conversation. I mean: sometimes people disagree in things they both take as granted, but in a different way and this changes the meaning of the entire argument. I'm guilty of this, I see it all the time and I'm sure I'll keep seeing.

- Conversations that end abruptly: I hate it when this happens. I engage in a conversation and suddenly the other stops replying. I never know what to think... Call me an idiot, say I can't be educated, that I failed to convince you of my point and you really have no interest in sharing yours with me or even that you're tired of the conversation... Anything, but saying nothing. I'm sure a kitten dies every time this happens.

- Text has no flavor: I'll agree with Silver Stream. Text conveys no body language and it's easy to unwillingly offend someone or being offended when the other side had no intention of it.

- Intelectual dishonesty, Straw Man falacies and cherry picking: Sweet Celestia sitting on her throne smite these with her golden light.

- Lack of actual interest in the other party's argument: If two people are going to talk, they need to understand each other's point, but they also need to WANT to understand too.

Real Life Discussions

- No time to really think about what you're saying: This probably sounds weird, but I often say things I didn't really think or didn't fully transmit my opinion on something because I had no time to properly formulate an answer. Specially if the subject is touchy or complex.

- People that don't talk loud enough: In the place I work, specially during internship (and I bet they did it intentionally). People talking as softly as possible, almost mumbling. It drives me insane.

- The other extreme: People that talk too loudly. Specially if I disagree with them, and they seem to think that the solution is to repeat in a louder voice.

- Beating around the bush: I work in something that often requires people to do each other favors. When people come at me and start telling a sad story about nothing that has anything to do with the present moment. Yeah... I know you want me to take your night shift. Just say it, I'll probably accept it anyway...

• Brohoof 2

My only pet peeve in forums/real life discussions is when folks act smug. Not a whole lot ticks me off, but when people talk down to me or others (mostly me) in a condescending way, I lose my cool. I try not to show it, but I snap occasionally, and have blown up a few times.

• Brohoof 3

I have two of them, and have seen both transpire here with some regularity.

1.) When staff intervene and curtail discussion because of overblown concerns about internecine conflict or the idea espoused doesn't conform to their morals.

2.) When people are compelled to interject because someone has offended them, but offers no substantive argument for why they should be offended. They're just disgusted and want to tell the person this rather than debate or ignore the topic.

Edited by Roketsune
  • Brohoof 2

The word "nevermind" drives me crazy. I have some hearing loss and a head injury, so there are times I will LITERALLY not hear what a person said or not hear it well enough to determine what they said, and when I ask them to clarify and they say "nevermind" it just drives me nuts. If it was important enough to say in the first place, wouldn't you want someone to actually hear it correctly?

That's the only one I feel comfortable airing right now. I'm still new to this place.

• Brohoof 1

The word "nevermind" drives me crazy. I have some hearing loss and a head injury, so there are times I will LITERALLY not hear what a person said or not hear it well enough to determine what they said, and when I ask them to clarify and they say "nevermind" it just drives me nuts. If it was important enough to say in the first place, wouldn't you want someone to actually hear it correctly?

That's the only one I feel comfortable airing right now. I'm still new to this place.

welcome to the forum <3 I know how you feel.

And that does sound annoying. "Nevermind" drives me crazy in general. 

When someone responds to my opinion with something meaningless and empty like "each to their own". I know that all opinions are subjective, what is your point? Either engage in the discussion or don't. "Each to their own" is not an argument.

On the other hand it makes me uneasy when someone cuts straight in with a counter argument to everything single thing I say. I'm perfectly happy for an individual to hold opposing opinions to my own, but there is a difference between that and feeling like I'm verbally under attack.

Other than that, debating anything with anyone who blatantly and relentlessly ignores/distorts/invents evidence to suit their point of view is a waste of time.

• Brohoof 1

I hate it when someone responds with a one or two word response, especially because it usually kills the conversation. I'm a listening type of person, and I can't fathom people who barely react to something I've said, especially if it's a lengthy response.

Also, in real life, people who say "I don't care". That's so arrogant and degrading for the other person. Be nice about it something you're not interested in, don't just bluntly dismiss their input.

• Brohoof 2

Online, I really hate when people are rude about spelling/grammatical errors. Is "your" as opposed to "you're" so incredibly important and relevant that you have to point it out during a debate? Is the misspelling of a franchise-specific term that is not easy to spell so incredibly important to you understanding the question that a member asked that you can't respond to said question until they correct it?

There's a word for that: "RUDE". I have literally seen the second example occur. The member responding knew exactly what word the question-asker was referring to, but said "Fix that spelling, or I'm not going to answer your question". If I was a moderator, I would have given that member a warning. Not everyone has the same level of education that you do, not everyone has English as their first language. Some people have disabilities. Even in the event that they do have no problems with spelling/grammar, it's like... This is a forum, not an essay for a class, or an article for a newspaper. Quit being a jerk. The things that people point out are so incredibly innocuous.

• Brohoof 1

I can't exactly think of many, but I do know one I have in real life conversations.

Getting interrupted.

This happens all the time with my friend, I'll be telling him something like "So basically it's a game where you can make your own Mario levels, and also share them online.", but he'll interrupt me with "Hey, do you finally like Halo or COD yet?" like halfway into my sentence. It happens so much, and sometimes, he just flat out doesn't respond to anything I say, usually because he just uses our computer to play flash games. When he starts playing those, he just goes into another world, and doesn't respond to literally anything anyone says. It gets really annoying.

I know earlier Envy pointed out spelling and grammatical, but... I try not to point it out but seriously, misspelling and grammatical errors are my only online pet peeve. 

In person I tend to correct word usage and pronunciation. People get angry sometimes... :/ 

It's like Sheldon on TBBT. 

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/da/9c/64/da9c64875fb090a02718eddecb6f9214.jpg

Leonard: Oh, my God, what did you do?

Sheldon: Hmm, let me think. Nothing. I’m a delight.

^ Me and my fellow Aspies in a nutshell... ^ 

• Brohoof 1

Grammar, I  couldn't care less whether you use your or you're, but when I can't understand you it IT DRIVES ME UP A WALL! I have OCD-ish tendencies, but I only  do it towards what I say and type, If I made a (grammatical) mistake I fix it... But please talk so I can understand you!

Edited by Artimis Whooves

• 4 years later...

Forums discussion pet peeve: my posts being misunderstood (this happens the most in debate symposium)

Real life discussion pet peeve: having everyone look at me when I'm talking (that makes me really nervous and gives me anxiety)

• Brohoof 1

• Not executing proper grammar/spelling
  • Getting overly defensive or offended over someone else disliking their favorite character(s)
  • Taking constructive criticism as an insult (I am guilty of this myself sometimes though)
  • Refusing to listen to other’s advice even when they are the one who asked for it

Forum discussion: That darn 20 characters. :umad:

Real life: Don't bother me. period.

• Brohoof 1

In forum discussions I get uncomfortable debating things. I can respect others’ opinions to a degree, but sometimes, whether it’s my own fault or someone else’s, constantly butting heads is too much like work. And I don’t come here to work.

In real life, I don’t really like it when someone else doesn’t interrupt me on occasion. I know that sounds weird, but I can talk incessantly if someone doesn’t shut me up; and I’ll take control of the convo if someone else doesn’t doesn't take the initiative, so when someone else wants to speak but won’t cut in, I feel like I’m being rude (okay, maybe I am being rude, but there’s no point reminding me of the fact!) 

• Brohoof 1

Forum discussion: Not much. I am here by choice. If I was to be annoyed at something, why would I choose to accept a forum to begin with?

IRL discussion: Used to be problematic: Being treated as a kid in discussions.

(edited)

People who can't pick up on context, don't read between the lines, make false assumptions, non-native english speakers, people who don't understand irony, or get overly aggressive over nothing.

These are all forum problems.

Edited by Olly

I hate when people say "[someone] and I" in situations where the grammatically correct thing to say is "[someone] and me" or "me and [someone]." I find that more annoying than when people say "me and [someone]" in situations where the grammatically correct thing to say is "[someone] and I."

1. Hypocrisy. I've seen a lot of this on the forum, people who say things to contradict them when it doesn't fit their agenda. These people clearly don't care about any principles or any sort of civil discussion, instead pretending they do and pretending they're a voice of reason WHEN THEY CONTRADICT THEMSELVES ON THE TURN OF A DIME. Like an example (still no names, though some of them deserve the shame) would be the people in recent times who pretend they're for free speech but then celebrate when somebody else's right to it is taken away. Not only being authoritarian, but pretending they aren't. There's also the people who blatantly LIE about their beliefs with the like of backpedaling.
  2. Hate. People going off on a tangent that's blatantly hateful towards specific groups of people angers me A LOT, admittedly it applies especially to groups I find myself a part of. Though I'm not going to stand for some of the racist $#!+ I've seen around and I'm white. Homophobia and transphobia bother me the most though for obvious reasons. I mean can't we just LOVE AND TOLERATE, LIKE WE'RE SUPPOSED TO? No? Oh I'd love to post names on this one, but alas... Also standing by those who hate irks me too almost as much. I swear I'm not going to say names though frankly I should because these people deserve every bit of shame they'd get.
  3. Bad English. Here I don't mean the people who say "well it's not my first language so it's going to be bad", that's understandable. After all, I know a TEENSY bit of Spanish so if I had to type something out in Spanish it would be guaranteed to be butchered beyond belief. But people who butcher English although clearly knowing it fluently. People like that are not only obnoxious, it gives the impression that you're being talked down to, or better yet screamed at by an idiot who has no place in any discussion anywhere.
  4. Illogical politics. That speaks for itself.

On 6/4/2020 at 12:16 PM, Splashee said:

Forum discussion: Not much. I am here by choice. If I was to be annoyed at something, why would I choose to accept a forum to begin with?

IRL discussion: Used to be problematic: Being treated as a kid in discussions.

Forum discussion: Anything Trump related.

IRL discussion: You guessed it, anything Trump related.