Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

science Psychology

Lil Pip

Experiment with any psychology?

Try to apply psychology to your daily life?

Try to understand or analyze things?

Do you find brain facts curious and pleasant?

Do you know the major difference between neurology and psychology?

What are the problems with psychology, and what are its merits.

What does psychology mean to you, and how has it effected you in the past?

• Brohoof 1

There is some controversy, last i heard, in saying that Psychology is an exact science. Psychology doesn't rely on definitive data like math or physical matter (or not necessarily) to make its inferences. It does however permit empiric examination when applicable. 

I try and analyze (or over-analyze) things as i go. I guess it's just easier for me as a person to be subjectively detached mostly during my day-to-day.

I come up with psychological questions that I wish I could test if I could get volunteers. How do the senses work together? We know that smell and taste go together, but what about others? If you blind fold someone and gave them food, would it be different from if they were seeing the food? How about ear plugs? Or blocking out multiple senses? I also want to test how the colors of our clothes affect us, or find the best way for people to learn. Standing, sitting, laying down? I never experimented any of these because no volunteers and no way to test them. 

I apply psychology to my daily life. I use psychology to try to find hidden meanings behind what people are saying or act as a therapist to people who can't go to therapy. I also have talked people out of suicide. I also use psychology to try to see why people do what they do. 

I love brain facts. 

Neurology is the study of the brain while psychology is the study of the mind. In neurology, you would study the physical changes in the brain. Alzheimer's and Epilepsy are examples of neurological disorders. Psychology is about the mind and how people thing or why they thing rather than the physical parts of the brain. Depression and Anxiety are examples of psychological disorders. 

A major problem with psychology is that it can't me accurately measured. It requires data from other people, and other people could create false data. For example, someone may say they are happy when they are really not. Also, another problem is how you ask the question will affect the answer. Its merits are that it can help us understand why people behave a certain way, treat mental illnesses rather than stigmatize them, and help with intrapersonal intelligence. (Just to name a few.) 

I think psychology studies why we think the way we think, feel the way we feel, do things we do, and how we are able to think, feel, or do things. The brain is an extremely important organ, and growing up, I was just taught that the brain controlled the rest of the body. I didn't know how it does that. I got into neurology and psychology to help me understand that. I know how memories are formed and how we have emotions and that the different parts of the brain have different functions. Occipital lobe controls what we see, frontal lobe controls judgement, etc. Not left brain and right brain.) There is still a lot I don't understand. I know a lot about mental disorders and familiar with the DSM. I love watching people and seeing how they behave in certain situations, mostly infants and toddlers. I have seen psychologists in the past. I loved optical illusions, so that was a part of psychology. I also loved learning about mental disabilities. (I still do.) 

I may have butchered the neurology vs psychology question. 

To make a study statistically accurate you need a minimum of 30 volunteers, and even then its baised by the location, where you asked, what time it was, which language etc etc. So it could seem to be true for everyone, but only be true for city-dwellers or such.

• Brohoof 1

I do experiment with psychology, just not in a professional setting.

Everyone applies aspects of psychology in their life even if they're unaware of it.

We all pretty much use analysis, to differing degrees in various areas of our lives.

I'm always open to learning new thing about my brain. It helps to know what's going on up there.

The major difference(there's a couple) is one of metrics. Neurology is a hard science based on biological theory and concrete data whereas psychology rest more on subjective research and a philosophical element.

One problem with psychology is that it can develop a false sense of certainty in the findings it produces depending on what you want to see, both in those involved directly with the studies and those observing the results. Confirmation bias is a serious risk. But nonetheless the field has helped to broaden the way we view the way humans being think and interact with each other and understanding the human condition.

What psychology means to me is exploring the vast unknown: the human mind. It's given me an appreciation of the intricacies and idiosyncrasies that encapsulate all that we think and feel, much of which we don't bother to consciously consider. It is a consciousness raiser in much the same way as astronomy or evolutionary biology.    

I love learning about psychology. I took a few courses my freshman year of college and all of them were super interesting. (Except for child psychology... I didn't really like that one). At one point, I wanted to major in psychology, but I changed my mind later on. I may go back into it, though...

I actually spend time working with troubled teenagers and it has really made me want to explore the area more.

• Brohoof 1

So far I've been given what seems like a mix of specific subsets of psychology and neurology. One particular subject would be brain development and addiction as was given by Dr Gabor Maté and later on attachment theory given by developmental psychologist Gordon Neufeld. Another influential figure would be former prison psychiatrist Jame Gilligan who concerns himself mainly with treating violence as a problem in public health and preventive medicine. Something I too wish would be more widely practiced. 

I use psychology to read people, and I use it to manipulate them into doing what suits my needs. I always try to analyze my own behavior to see what kind of conclusions one might draw about it, and change it accordingly.

Neurology studies the physical brain rather than the mind, which is the domain of psychology. I'm very interested in the interplay between these two fields, however.

My main problem with psychology is the people who practice it...especially the ones who've only just started studying it and who then believe they can read you like a book. Very few people can actually do that with me, and none of them are actual psychologists. I once visited an actual psychologist and gave her every bit of information I could give her about the reason I was there...and within five minutes she'd contradicted herself multiple times. The only other psychologist I ever visited was supposed to test my aptitude for a certain line of work, and I bullshitted my way through that conversation with ease, with the report stating exactly what I wanted it to.

I'm certain a good psychologist can help people, but if they lack the ability to read their patients to a certain extent I think they're doomed to fail.

I see it as the ultimate tool of understanding of our own bonds that we as human create with each other

Don`t think of it as an ordinary tool, a thing you use to manipulate an object or a living being

Think of it as just one of the roads that we are so lucky as humans to acknowledge it and to take it

Other roads are throught Literature, or Math, or Biology or any kind of science or any kind of source of knowledge that we can understand and that we can pass on.

With patience and understanding you can make thing clear and see the pure essence in everything and anyone

If we could have understanded everything we would have been perfect... but that`s not the case

Always a good reminder of understanding someone is...

Imagine yourself in his/hers shoes, feel what he/she feels, and only all the puzzle of an individual personality will be clear and understandable :3

(edited)

I use psychology to read people, and I use it to manipulate them into doing what suits my needs. I always try to analyze my own behavior to see what kind of conclusions one might draw about it, and change it accordingly.

Neurology studies the physical brain rather than the mind, which is the domain of psychology. I'm very interested in the interplay between these two fields, however.

My main problem with psychology is the people who practice it...especially the ones who've only just started studying it and who then believe they can read you like a book. Very few people can actually do that with me, and none of them are actual psychologists. I once visited an actual psychologist and gave her every bit of information I could give her about the reason I was there...and within five minutes she'd contradicted herself multiple times. The only other psychologist I ever visited was supposed to test my aptitude for a certain line of work, and I bullshitted my way through that conversation with ease, with the report stating exactly what I wanted it to.

I'm certain a good psychologist can help people, but if they lack the ability to read their patients to a certain extent I think they're doomed to fail.

The issue might be being overtrained so instead of reading your motives and thus if you will lie or not and why, instead they take the information they are given and think back to whats the protocol for interpretting it. But lack of structure can cause problems too like inconsistency of hypotheses. But then you might think they are knowledgeable enough to apply the laws of scientific study to it and not conclude prematurely, but the issue there is with their job if they took it all seriously they wouldn't get to relax. But people who are best for psychology are the ones who would do it for a hobby, because their reading can improve rather than become routine and possibly deteriorate if you (they) don't keep up with the times. Hecks some doctors themselves lie, or they don't care if someone lies as pursuing it just gives you more opportunity to be a pain in the ass so its not worth the effort. Or its because they sympathise with those who lie thinking they do it for a reason, but thats unlikely as they prolly feel superior from a psychology degree(because superiority implies authority implies responsibility implies making the right decision, for some people).

I see it as the ultimate tool of understanding of our own bonds that we as human create with each other

Don`t think of it as an ordinary tool, a thing you use to manipulate an object or a living being

Think of it as just one of the roads that we are so lucky as humans to acknowledge it and to take it

Other roads are throught Literature, or Math, or Biology or any kind of science or any kind of source of knowledge that we can understand and that we can pass on.

With patience and understanding you can make thing clear and see the pure essence in everything and anyone

If we could have understanded everything we would have been perfect... but that`s not the case

Always a good reminder of understanding someone is...

Imagine yourself in his/hers shoes, feel what he/she feels, and only all the puzzle of an individual personality will be clear and understandable :3

Too many metaphors I don't think it properly demonsrates any substance you may or may not have learned about psychology. Then the last line could be parrotted. No offense. But when I analyze people idk. I don't think of it as analyzing its more like a guessing game and I cross off the ones that contradict with current information until one likely result remains. I am a curious person so I like understanding stuff, well if I happen to take an interest which multiple factors do influence. But sorry about my aggressive(?) nature I tend to go to the debate forum section. There are some issues with my approach as if I forget  a factor I can end up entirely wrong in my guess, or accidentally evaluating one factor too high or low than another.

Edited by Lil Pip

Try to apply psychology to your daily life?

Yes, but not in a formal way. By "formal way" I mean taking the theoretical concepts of Psychology and then elaborating a plan of action on how to behave towards other people. The way I use it is in a more practical and intuitive way.

By that I mean empathy. When in person, I am good at noticing and understanding how people feel, what might be their intents, their doubts, and also the role of each one in their group dynamics. There are many factors to work from, like body language, the choice of words, the tone, etc. But this is not a knowledge that I use to harm or take advantage of other people, but rather to try being helpful to them and to respect any personal boundaries.

I also use that to express myself on the best way possible, in order to get my ideas understood. Even though I care more than what I should about what others think about me, paradoxically I don’t really care to hide any idea or positioning that other people find disagreeable or even offensive to them. I just find wrong having to create and interpret a character when dealing with other people, I leave acting only for actors when they are doing their job. So I don’t hide my positions and neither I lie about then.

Experiment with any psychology?

Try to understand or analyze things?

It really depends on what you define by “experiment”. I don’t do any formal scientific experiments on this field. I also don’t do informal experiments, like trying different behaviors to see how others react; that would be manipulation, which is something I despise.

What I do, however, is when I notice that some action, words or behavior of mine aren’t working; is to quickly realize that, figure out why, and then adapt myself in order to make it more effective. I take a mental note of why something didn’t work, and I also use this knowledge in the future. In a broader sense, this also might qualify as “experimenting” and “reformulating a hypothesis”.

Do you find brain facts curious and pleasant?

I like scientific trivia. The study of the brain is not the field in which I am the most interested, but I do have some interest on it. I still find it fascinating, though.

It is interesting and I guess you could say that I find a pleasant experience to learn about stuff :). But I don’t think that those facts themselves can be called “pleasant”. It is like doing an autopsy, you can learn stuff by taking a body apart and analyzing its parts, however the internal organs themselves aren’t a “pleasant” sight. The brain here, obviously, also is a body party. It doesn’t even need to be an autopsy, even when using techniques to analyze a living thing, its internals aren’t exactly “pleasant”. I guess this isn’t what people mean by inner beauty :lol:

In all seriousness, the reason that those things might look not pleasant is because they are a reminder that everyone is mortal, that the body can be easily destroyed. The mind seems to be hardwired to avoid things that have to do with death (instinct of survival in action?), so it might find uncomfortable looking at someone’s internals. On the top of that, analyzing something’s parts to see how they work together breaks part of its “magic”, especially if this thing is you. On the other hand, knowing your own limitations is humbling, and also the knowledge can be useful :)

Do you know the major difference between neurology and psychology?

Neurology is the study of the physical structure of the brain itself. Psychology studies the workings of the mind. If I were to make an analogy with computers, the former deals with the “hardware” and the latter with the “software”.

The correlation between brain and mind isn’t straightforward, though. A good part of how one affects the other is just unclear. But this assumes that the mind is entirely limited to the brain, which might not be necessarily true.

What are the problems with psychology, and what are its merits.

The merits of psychology? It is one tool for helping understanding people, and it can be useful if you know its limits. But it is not the only tool or way of knowing the others.

The problem begins when it starts being taken as an exact science, when you think that it can make you fully knowing yourself and others beyond any doubt. That just isn’t how people work.

Psychology looks for patterns in behaviors, and tries to formulate an explanation based on them. However, it is descriptive and not prescriptive. It is the theory that has to corroborate with the practice, and not the other way around. People can deviate of patterns, and they can behave in ways that are unpredictable to anyone else but them, which I see as an evidence for the existence of free will. And I also think that people are more than the matter and energy that form them, that they have an spiritual element to them, so this is also something that I take into account when understanding people.

An armchair psychologist fails to see the nuances between people, and even to realize that each one is a different individual of their own. And then he starts lecturing you on how he thinks that you are, while getting everything wrong, as if he knew you and your motivations better than yourself.

What does psychology mean to you, and how has it effected you in the past?

For me psychology is just one tool among others when it comes to dealing with people. It can be useful in certain circumstances, but I don’t put it at a pedestal and I don’t give it a special value. Anyways, it has helped me to understand some things about me and others. I don't blindly trust on it, though.

Edited by Sunwalker

• 4 years later...

Knowing how ones brain works is good, because you know a little bit more about yourself and how to act towards others. However, understanding how everyone's brain work, just doesn't work. There are too many people in this world full of incompatible ideas. I don't find psychology worth it.

I’m taking a psyche class but it’s almost finished :/

We didn’t get to all the cool abnormal stuff but we still learned about a few interesting things. If anyone wants details just let me know cause I’d have to pull out my notes to discuss everything correctly. 

I also studied a few mental disorders by myself one summer and watched a lot of documentaries, mostly on schizophrenia and OCD. I feel like the best way to get to know about a disorder a little is to hear it from people who have them. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I chose psychiatrist actually but I've talked to a couple of psychologists too. What do you mean the voices in my head are my own UwU computer socks are in fashion what do you mean it isn't and who is answering my own questions. 

I say yes to what op asks yes. Though I mean understanding my own brain helps me to realize that I may just be really weird.

So I don't have much experience with psychologists but rather with psychiatrists. Though I know a lot about it and such things I'm interested in it.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94

Psychology is always interesting and never cease to amaze me. There's always something we don't know or haven't experiences on yet. Like science, it's will always continue to expend as the more we know and learn. The study of one's mind and behavior can leads to understanding others (including ourselves) in ways we could never thought of. If miscommunication does not get in the way, it could do good. I feel psychology required a lot of open minds in which, some people tends to overlook the values of psychology. 

I've always found the subject of the human mind a very fascinating topic to study. It really amazes me just how some things in people can manifest themselves psychologically. Some really weird things happen to people when they live messed up lives.

i dont know about yall. but when im driving ill ponder off and just dive into thorough psychoanalysis of any one character from the show. despite not having any knowledge of the subject.

for one of my courses at uni I had to study educational psychology, which is all about how kids learn stuff in school 

that was pretty interesting