Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What do you think of this concept of "waifus"

joshuachasseur

I think it's fine as long as they don't overblow it. I've seen people obsess over their waifus to such an extent that watching the source material pair them with someone else, they start foaming at the mouth.

It's ok to have waifus if you understand they will never love you back ;3

23 minutes ago, Super Splashee said:

So what do you do with these "waifu" characters? Do you marry them? :ooh: Sounds like a special culture thing.

Fantasy boyfriend/girlfriend (Or in this case, stallion/mare). Can go as far as "if they were real, I would date/marry/*cough* them" but its unusual for the people concerned to not acknowledge they are unreachable fictional characters, although given the amount of fanfic around "thinly disguised self-insert human is pulled to equestria, is astonished it's real, and ends up dating their waifu" I am not *entirely* sure that is true either. :)

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, King of Canterlot said:

I know that even though she may not be here with me in this world, Twilight Sparkle will always love me just I do her! :love:

I guess it's good for you. I would have to ask her, but, guess what? I can't, because she is not real.

And if somehow there is a portal to Equestria and the ponies come to Earth (or humans can go to Equestria), you would be in a very, very long line. I most likely would not be in that line though.

UwU my waifu best waifu. You all so jealous of my waifu pfft as if she would ever date you. OwO everyone knows everyone has some waifus or husbandos. Yet don't go marrying them, like do what you want but like it should be kept as more like an admiration not obsession. 

• Brohoof 2

Uhhhh.... *SIGH*....

I think it's normal, natural, and completely inevitable to have crushes on fictional characters, be they animated or otherwise, humanoid or otherwise, bipedal or otherwise.  Whatever.  Mild obsessions are even okay if they don't control you or interfere with your life and a healthy pursuit of goals.  I'm smitten with many fictional characters, ponies included.  However, I do think it's a wee bit silly to actually pretend you're in a relationship with them when you're clearly not and can never be, seeing as how they don't exist.  I mean, I fantasize all the time, but... well... sometimes I'm concerned that some people carry it to unhealthy extremes, adamantly holding the position that they are in fact in a relationship with said character.  I'm only concerned for people's health and well-being in those cases.  I don't want to see people getting too detached from reality.  But that said, I don't judge.  If it's fun and you aren't hurting anyone, including yourself, then okey dokey loki.

• Brohoof 3

• 1 month later...

Having a waifu is all about happiness and the only bad or negative things are what you allow to happen. In the end, the only thing that matters, is how we feel. A waifu may not be real, sure, but the feelings are. And oh my god are they real! If you don't forget the reality and live a healthy life otherwise, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Every person is different. Imagine being an introvert. It would mean that all kinds of relationships, meetings, all the talking can be super exhausting. You won't have this problem with a waifu. To find the right person in real life is super difficult and there is no gurantee it won't change in the future. A waifu will not betray you, she will not abuse or lie to you. She can't give you money or life advice either. A waifu truly is just about happiness and love, two of the most important things in life.

• Brohoof 2

On 3/27/2016 at 7:06 PM, Rainbow Diamonds said:

I have a crush on Rainbow Dash, but I have a girlfriend. My girlfriend knows about my crush on Rainbow and has a crush on Octavia. We sometimes talk about our crushes. If Rainbow Dash was real, I wouldn't leave my girlfriend for her. I would just hope Rainbow is open to polyamory. My girlfriend and I are. 

Yep, this is 100% the correct attitude. :wub:

I've probably had half a dozen crushes on fictional characters at this point. I've been in conversations where I used the term "waifu" to refer to them, but only because I knew no one would think I meant the weird extreme cases everyone's alluding to here. There's really not a whole lot else to say about it; these things come and go like any other phase.

21 hours ago, Schattenherz said:

Imagine being an introvert. It would mean that all kinds of relationships, meetings, all the talking can be super exhausting. You won't have this problem with a waifu.

I'm not sure if this was your intent, but this makes it sound as if introverts typically want a fictional girlfriend instead of a real girlfriend, which really isn't how introversion works (if it matters: I'm an introvert, most of my friends are too, and many of us have or had real girlfriends, myself included). But I agree with everything else you said.

15 minutes ago, Ixrec said:

I'm not sure if this was your intent, but this makes it sound as if introverts typically want a fictional girlfriend instead of a real girlfriend, which really isn't how introversion works (if it matters: I'm an introvert, most of my friends are too, and many of us have or had real girlfriends, myself included). But I agree with everything else you said.

Personally I think the fact that infroverts tend to concentrate their feelings on just a handful of people rather than a wide circle of friends mean they are much more attentive and loving to a partner, when they find one.

On 5/10/2020 at 10:25 PM, Splashee said:

Can anypony help me get Starlight as a waifu?

Getting a waifu is easy, its getting them as an actual marefriend that is difficult :)

On 5/10/2020 at 10:25 PM, Splashee said:

Preferably the evil Starlight before Season 6

ulgh, no. far too selfish and self-centered. "Tough Love" Student Counselor Starlight from S8 would be much better waifu material; caring when you need it, but willing to kick your ass into gear when you need that, too :)

1 hour ago, Ixrec said:

Thank you for pointing that out to me. :)No, that wasn't my intent, you are 100% right of course. I'm an introvert myself and I know how exhausting different relationships or a lot of talking can be sometimes. Personally, I need a lot of breaks and alone time. A waifu can be a good alternative, for people who are open to this stuff, since you can see her when you feel like it and no talking is needed. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

Its a side effect of the radiation on your screen. Please do not go too near your screen...also too much exposure to anime can destroy your brain. I know by first hoof....but some how the waifu disease did not affect me.... Usually people who are too horny gets affected by waifu syndrome...:)

On 3/27/2016 at 12:29 AM, joshuachasseur said:

Its a term that's been going around lately and what are your thoughts on it? Are people with waifu's people with no social skills or can't find real romance or is it just a hobby/interest?

Both I think. Not finding romance, and having no social skill, and making it a hobby.

I have not needed a waifu, and I have seen a few Animes.