Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What do you think of this concept of "waifus"

joshuachasseur

(edited)

Here's a bit of trivia--the term "Waifu" came from the hilarious show "Azumanga Daioh"! It was written by the same person who writes Yotsuba!

Although the word itself is kinda cringey, I don't really mind it. It's just strange hearing people talk about characters as if they own them. ^^' I mean, imagine treating real-lif crushes like that...

Not that I DON'T have any character crushes to speak of...

Edited by AmberDust

What would be defined as taking it too far and what would be seen as having it for fun?

Some consider "too far" to be when individuals honestly believe that their waifu legitimately belongs to them, and get overly defensive when someone else claims to have the same waifu as them. Or if they evolve their waifu into something like a tulpa.

There's nothing wrong with having a bit of a crush on a fictional character (Kallan James from Thunderbirds 2086 was probably my very first crush), even a little bit of infatuation isn't necessarily a terrible thing, as long as it's kept in check.

However, if you claim a relationship with a fictional character then you're getting a little too far down the rabbit hole.  An infatuation with a fictional character will only ever be a one way deal, they will not and indeed can not reciprocate your affections.  As long as you fully understand and accept that fact then fantasize away to your heart's content, and may all your dreams be pleasant ones.

• Brohoof 2

Venomous, on 26 Mar 2016 - 9:09 PM, said:

When I think of waifus and husbandos, I think of fun & innocent fictional crushes. I myself have a long list of anime husbandos and they are all important to me individually. Hell, i'm married to one.

However...

I understand that fictional characters are fictional. That is why I don't get upset when and if someone has the same husbando as I do; because I know that the character doesn't actually belong to me, ya know? As much as I love Kakashi, Gajeel, etc. etc., I realize that they are not bound to me.

I don't believe that having a waifu or a husbando means that someone lacks the skills to properly enter and maintain a relationship. However, that's not to say that I haven't seen examples of people who turn to waifus because they believe that they themselves will never find a real relationship or they simply fear rejection. I have indeed seen something like that happen.

Then again... One is not simply not attracted to Kakashi. It's simply unavoidable.

:comeatus:

Husbando *giggles* sounds funny.

My thoughts on the topic are as long as a person can function whats the problem other than cringey moments I guess.

joshuachasseur, on 05 Apr 2016 - 10:17 AM, said:

What would be defined as taking it too far and what would be seen as having it for fun?

Too far is like taking your body pillow out in public to restaurants I guess. Having one for fun is like, the thought of a real relationship doesn't put you off.

I don't really have any waifus; but sure, I do have my favorite characters and some that I do think are really adorable/hot/whatever. But, as Venomous has pointed out, I understand they're fictional. I don't act as if they're real; as adorkable as Soleil is I can accept that she will only exist in my 3DS. Which is a shame...

Basically, I think it's cool if you have waifus. Sure, you have a crush on that fictional character, don't we all. But there is a point where it's healthy and where it's unhealthy. If the person cannot distinguish fiction from reality, it's pretty unsafe and they should s t o p immediately. If they can, do whatever, as long as you're not hurting yourself or anyone else.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Do I lack social skills? A bit, yeah, blame my Anxiety....though I've been in real relationships before.

I fell in love with Fluttershy within the first few episodes back when Season 1 was aired....First I thought Dashie was mine, but Fluttershy became my instant favourite as we shared similar traits...plus I love yellow and pink. Ever since, she's been my Waifu and I love her. I may take it a bit too serious sometimes...but whatever. I'll defend her when someone bashes her for whatever reason...I tend to fave/save  most/all art of her I see on various websites. I tend to put her on a higher pedestal than any other pony in FiM. Like Dashie is my 2nd fave pony...but Fluttershy has been cemented as my #1 favourite throughout all the seasons. In a sense I've been loyal to her, never giving up. Good or bad she'll always be my favourite pony.

I call her my Waifu because she's been my favourite character and I just happen to crush on her...hard. Hell, I've had vivid and lucid dreams about her and I together on multiple occasions. I sleep with a big plushie of her. I buy exclusively Fluttershy merch,unless it's something cool/badass/unique of a different character (example I have a custom WLF "Watch in Awe" Trixie vinyl)..

Edited by Flutter Baby <3

Waifu is an okay concept for anyone who enjoys fictional characters that they love on a molecular level, don't be too obsessive or loco in the coco.

What do I think about "waifus"?... Well, one thoughts sparks interest in particular is "How can I get one?" If "waifu" is what I think it is...? Hey guys? Wouldn't it be nice to have a waifu, then we could go watch a movie, and wouldn't it be nice to be "gym buddies" and go play some racketball or work out by joining a fitness club or do something else together and wouldn't it be nice to sit down and watch some YouTube or Netflix MLP together and comment on it as a couple?

Waifus are girls, right? It sounds like a variation of "wife" or in a case probably girlfriend maybe. Seems as how it appears to signify a girl, who's probably in anime or AnthroMLP or fiction whom you like... a lot ;) In that case it's just weird because it's not real thus improbable. Am I close to the idea here but or am I off on a few things there? Are waifus real? If not, then how can you put so much thought into the idea of it?

Perhaps we should just aim our collective attentions towards real girls... Right? You could find the waifu in her?

I kinda feel like there's a "special somepony" call back in this here post? Who knows maybe my "waifu" is close and she's wanting to meet me with all her heart? I can only imagine.

Hahaha, oh man- I was gonna joke a bit over the fact that I have Churro's personal screen name on skype set as "waifu"but thinking that'd be lame on my part

Waifu/husbando memes and the like are pretty much just good laughs to me. The terms themselves are jokes as well.

There's always a line to draw with how much someone is invested or interested in an inanimate object or concept. If it's keeping you from responsibilities or hindering your quality of life in any way, red flag. It's a harmless interest by default and shouldn't be provoking too much worry. Fictional characters are especially susceptible to being created intentionally attractive.  :twi:

... also I do have a few character crushes myself. I mean who doesn't, right?

I've been in a happy, long-lasting IRL relationship why

Oh no but its-

<3

• Brohoof 1

I think it's fine as long as no one takes it too seriously. Just remember that they're fictional characters, and you can't really have a relationship with them.

• Brohoof 1

Me and my circle of friends enjoy the concept as a fun joke, usually used ironically to refer to ours or other people's fictional crushes. However, there is a level I've witnessed where I start getting concerned if the person involved understands the "fictional" aspect of "fictional crushes".

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
On 3/27/2016 at 12:29 AM, joshuachasseur said:

Its a term that's been going around lately and what are your thoughts on it? Are people with waifu's people with no social skills or can't find real romance or is it just a hobby/interest?

I have heard the word flying about the internet. I think it is one of those buzz words. :huh:

1 hour ago, Super Splashee said:

I have heard the word flying about the internet. I think it is one of those buzz words. :huh:

Been long established in the anime community - although having a pony waifu if you aren't a pony is a little strange, the concept has probably been around as long as fictional characters have...

There's nothing wrong with having a waifu. Waifu's can bring a lot of joy and happiness to people who may not otherwise have any, and as long as your having a waifu doesn't impact your life or any irl relationships you may have in a negative way, there's nothing wrong with it. I don't believe that having a waifu can be taken "too far", such as bringing your waifu body pillow to a restaurant or a festival, sure it may be a little weird for those who don't understand, but your not really hurting anything and if it makes you happy, then why stop yourself from being happy? :muffins:

Also, I believe that our waifu's are real, just not in this dimension. There's literally an infinite amount of dimensions in existence, I'm pretty sure in at least one of them Twilight Sparkle is real, it'd be ignorant to think otherwise and upsetting to Twilight to call her "not real" ^_^   

• Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, King of Canterlot said:

I'm pretty sure in at least one of them Twilight Sparkle is real, it'd be ignorant to think otherwise and upsetting to Twilight to call her "not real" ^_^   

Unless you can prove that I'm going to assume that Twilight isn't real. Even if there are other dimensions and Twilight is real in at least one of them, it does not change anything unless there is a way to travel between them.

And even if she was real - do you think she would want to do anything with you, me or any of the other thousands her fans? Even if she did, it would be one of her and thousands of us.

I think that the concept of waifu is stupid. However, if it brings happiness to you, well, why should you care what I think?

55 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

Unless you can prove that I'm going to assume that Twilight isn't real. Even if there are other dimensions and Twilight is real in at least one of them, it does not change anything unless there is a way to travel between them.

And even if she was real - do you think she would want to do anything with you, me or any of the other thousands her fans? Even if she did, it would be one of her and thousands of us.

I think that the concept of waifu is stupid. However, if it brings happiness to you, well, why should you care what I think?

Spoiler

I know that even though she may not be here with me in this world, Twilight Sparkle will always love me just I do her! :love:

2 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

Been long established in the anime community - although having a pony waifu if you aren't a pony is a little strange, the concept has probably been around as long as fictional characters have...

So what do you do with these "waifu" characters? Do you marry them? :ooh: Sounds like a special culture thing.