Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread The state of the Brony fandom (Numbers, Popularly, Future)

Skar

I think the Fandom is growing, simply based on the Fact, that we still get new Users on here, almost every Day and it doesnt seem to stop.

Now, for other Mlp Sides who died out, like Equestria Forums, i think its because these Sides doesnt take themselves serious anymore, pretty much all their Icons are either suggestive Anime Pictures or Memes.

I dont feel comfortable down there.

But the bigger Sides like this one or the german one, are still pretty active and get new Users. Not as much as prior but there are still new Bronys coming.

As for BronyCon or Real Life, i have no Idea. 

• 1 month later...

Hello everypony i have been in the brony scene for 5 years now and i was wondering what is the current state of the brony fandom i really do not want to see it die it means alot to me and also i want it to still be good even the movie may not be so good please someone make me feel better by giving me some positive answers on the brony fandom because i really love it i just recently joined this site i would have joined years ago if i knew about it but yeah thanks guys (/

• Brohoof 1

I think the fandom is fine, but it falsely appears to be suffering slightly just because there are a lot of famous videos from a few years ago, and some of the people that made them aren't as active. they have been replaced by new people, but the new people aren't as visible as the old. It is also in somewhat of a lull because its been awhile since the last episode was released (New season starting soon though!), but even in the lull state there are a lot of ponies around these forums, as you can see! and theres still a lot of music and art being made, auhrelleah just finished composing his latest piece forinstance. 

and this picture was made yesterday(just learned about it)
http://aurelleaheverfree.deviantart.com/art/What-re-you-doing-way-up-here-little-guy-Derpy-651124920(you can tell who my favorite pony is)

I became a brony around a month ago, and I was worried about the fandom for a bit too, but then looking around here I see a lot of newer people, and new people in the welcoming plaza too every day.

I also think the movie is going to renew interest for a lot of people. I hope so anyways. And season 7 will be awesome

Edited by trademark2
  • Brohoof 2

Bronies will never die. Even 156 years from Bronies will still be around. Maybe not in the abundance they are in but they will still be there. A show being over has never stopped loving fans.

There are still bronies now, there are just aren't as popular now compared to what it was in the first 3 seasons since people have moved on to other shows since it's one of those things that reaches it peak then declines afterwards but the fandom is as good as ever though.

• Brohoof 2

Hello everypony i have been in the brony scene for 5 years now and i was wondering what is the current state of the brony fandom i really do not want to see it die it means alot to me and also i want it to still be good even the movie may not be so good please someone make me feel better by giving me some positive answers on the brony fandom because i really love it i just recently joined this site i would have joined years ago if i knew about it but yeah thanks guys (/

Hi, as this thread is more about the fandom in general than the 2017 film (even though you briefly mentioned it in your post), it has been moved to Sugarcube Corner.

<p>This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.</p>

Well, like with any fandom the novelty of it has long since worn off, and if it was considered a fad then all who were into it because it was a fad have since moved on. I think the fandom is still going strong though. It's just past the point of those first few years when it's new and intriguing, that's all.

• Brohoof 1

The Brony fandom is doing just fine my good sir. Those of us who have been fans since the early years (Pre EQG and Alicorn Twi) and are still here are loyal and dedicated. Our numbers may have declined over the years, but that is natural for a show that over 6 years old. MLP has lost much of its shock value. You can only hear the same "Grown men watching a tv show for little girls" spiel for so long before it gets old. 

• Brohoof 2

I think the fandom is fine, but it falsely appears to be suffering slightly just because there are a lot of famous videos from a few years ago, and some of the people that made them aren't as active. they have been replaced by new people, but the new people aren't as visible as the old. It is also in somewhat of a lull because its been awhile since the last episode was released (New season starting soon though!), but even in the lull state there are a lot of ponies around these forums, as you can see! and theres still a lot of music and art being made, auhrelleah just finished composing his latest piece forinstance. 

and this picture was made yesterday(just learned about it)

http://aurelleaheverfree.deviantart.com/art/What-re-you-doing-way-up-here-little-guy-Derpy-651124920(you can tell who my favorite pony is)

I became a brony around a month ago, and I was worried about the fandom for a bit too, but then looking around here I see a lot of newer people, and new people in the welcoming plaza too every day.

I also think the movie is going to renew interest for a lot of people. I hope so anyways. And season 7 will be awesome

Lol I was just thinking the other day 'If I join the forums will it just be 70-80 people who don't talk to each other??' However, with only being here a day it's quite an active community, and it's not the only one! Numbers and stats vary, but MLP fan as a community is definitely growing, it's just growing in lots of different places :adorkable:  Fear not! I shall be making pony fans of my children when I have any :D  

• Brohoof 1

I've been lurking the fandom for 3 years now and I haven't seen a massive decline yet, it has been more of a gradual slow down. I would say that there is nothing to worry about.

Remember that not everyone who is into the show will be producing content right now, I bet that there are many people like myself who don't get involved much right now but that doesn't rule out the possibility that there will be some who go on to be content producers in the future and there will also still be people who are only now joining the fandom.

I understand why you are worried, but this fandom still has at least a few years ahead of it. :twi:

• 2 weeks later...

is the brony fandom dying if it is that will make me sad since i just recently got fully into the community i have liked the show since 2011 but i just got into the fandom recently pls make me feel better by saying something positive i just feel like i missed so much and it really hurts inside my heart pls i need guidance thanks 

• Brohoof 3

How insecure are we to think that this fandom is dying 24/7?

Every other time I look at this site I see another "Is the fandom dying?" post

Let me answer this question for you.

THE FANDOM IS NOT DYING!!!

I've seen this alot lately and it's kinda starting to get on my nerves a bit. LOL 

Sometimes the reasoning so so flimsy and paper thin.

An episode didn't get as many views when it aired as it did last week "OMG THE FANDOM IS DYING"

Bronycon 2016 had only 7000 attendees when Bronycon 2015 had 10000 "OMG THE FANDOM IS DYING"

It's 2017 "OMG THE FANDOM IS DYING"

Sorry this is the forum I went off on I understand the OP is new-ish to the community but way too many people ask if the fandom is dying way too frequently.

Even in 2012-2013 when ponies were at a fever pitch interest people were asking if the fandom was dying.

It's not. I don't know why people are so insecure about this but I'm pretty sure the fandom will stick around for a long while even after the show ends which will be a sad day indeed.

• Brohoof 16

Have you ever heard about Doctor Who's past? In the late 1980's, the show had fallen quite a lot in the ratings, reaching as low as 3.65 million when it was frequently hitting the 9 million mark 7 seasons ago. There were fewer episodes per season by that point too, and as much as the show had recovered by then in terms of storylines and reviews, the show eventually just, stopped I guess. There wasn't any new episodes until 1996, a TV movie in fact! And even though it got far more viewers than the show was reaching beforehand, nothing much came from it in terms of TV episodes, not until 9 years later in 2005, when the show became a hit once more, and still endures to this day even though gosh darn I wish there was a season this year~ </3

You might be wondering what that has to do with anything. Well, even though the show was silent and Doctor Who had fallen in popularity, throughout those years where more episodes seemed like a fantasy? The fandom still endured. Virgin New Adventures produced more books continuing from where the show left off, Big Finish went the extra mile and made practically new audio episodes featuring the available cast of the show throughout the years, and both of those were led pretty much by the fans of the show. Doctor Who Magazine didn't stop either, and kept talking about the series and making their own comics all through those years, if I understand correctly. The fact that the show came back to our screens after only one, kinda controversial episode in 16 years is testament to how the fandom was still good and alive and unwavering in their passion.

So... ya. I think if that fandom was able to survive through all that and become even stronger again in time, this fandom should be pretty fine, especially considering there's the whole appeal of making ponysonas and imagining oneself in a positive Equestria, something I'm sure is gonna keep people gaining interest for a long while to come. The fandom definitely seems smaller than it might have been a few years ago, but honestly, I don't think you've missed much that can't just simply be checked out whenever you like. And hey, fandoms being at the biggest isn't always the best thing, sometimes seeing too much obsession about a thing can make said thing a little easier to get exhausted with than when it's more low-key, ya know? :3

Edited by Blue cheese
  • Brohoof 8