Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will the My Little Pony movie (2017) be rated PG?

TheAnimatorOfficial

(edited)

"Another unrelated movie is PG. Therefore this movie is PG"

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 9

How does a completely different movie made by a different company have any bearings on the MLP movie?

"Another unrelated movie is PG. Therefore this movie is PG"

Yeah, that's how it works. The MPAA has very strict guidelines these days where unless there's no tension whatsoever, your movie is PG or higher.

How does a completely different movie made by a different company have any bearings on the MLP movie?

Because, like I said, the MPAA.

Yeah, that's how it works. The MPAA has very strict guidelines these days where unless there's no tension whatsoever, your movie is PG or higher.

I don't really think that's sound reasoning... I mean the film will probably be PG regardless, but I don't think that Finding Dory being given a PG rating has any bearings on the MLP movie.

(edited)

Doesn't really mean anything

- It's an unrelated movie and just because one movie gets a rating doesn't mean another unrelated movie is gonna get the same rating.

- The G rating has become non-existent nowadays and has been more or less replaced by the PG rating due to Parental Rating groups becoming incredibly strict lately. I can guarantee that 90% of movies that are PG right now would be rated G 10 years ago. Back then PG meant that the movie had some more adult content that may make parents wary, now it just means "something happens in the movie"

- The MLP movie isn't going to be different(nor should it be) from the show simply because of the PG rating and people shouldn't worry about it. I'd only be worried about a rating if for some godforsaken reason the movie happens to be PG-13 because at that point you know they're just trying to pander to bronies :P

Edited by Sideswipe
  • Brohoof 6

- It's an unrelated movie and just because one movie gets a rating doesn't mean another unrelated movie is gonna get the same rating.

- The G rating has become non-existent nowadays and has been more or less replaced by the PG rating due to Parental Rating groups becoming incredibly strict lately. I can guarantee that 90% of movies that are PG right now would be rated G 10 years ago. Back then PG meant that the movie had some more adult content that may make parents wary, now it just means "Is anything happening in the movie?"

- The MLP movie isn't going to be different(nor should it be) from the show simply because of the PG rating and people shouldn't worry about it. I'd only be worried about a rating if for some godforsaken reason the movie happens to be PG-13 because at that point you know they're just trying to pander to bronies :P

LOL what? I never said anything about PG-13. That rating would be horrible.

- The G rating has become non-existent nowadays and has been more or less replaced by the PG rating due to Parental Rating groups becoming incredibly strict lately. I can guarantee that 90% of movies that are PG right now would be rated G 10 years ago. Back then PG meant that the movie had some more adult content that may make parents wary, now it just means "Is anything happening in the movie?"

yeah, I really get kind of annoyed at the people in charge of ratings nowadays, because its absolutely retarded how crazy they've gotten. being that strict to the point where one of the ratings (G) might as well not exist is just dumb-- making the ratings too strict makes them borderline irrellevent, since there's no real spectrum of different levels :/

• Brohoof 1

Before the year 2000, almost all mainstream 2D animated features automatically received a G rating with few exceptions (ex: The Black Cauldron), whether it was appropriate or not (ex: The Secret of NIMH).

Back then a PG rating was a death sentence for a 2D animated film, but today if a CG animated film gets a G rating, studios fear it won't be considered "edgy" enough for audiences to go see it.

"Another movie got a PG Rating, so this HAS TO BE PG as well."#

I am sorry, i don't see the mindset here.

Considering the core audience of MLP, could a PG rating hurt it? Of course I doubt any mom or dad wouldnt take their kid who watches the show to see it based on the rating, but strange things happen. Of course PG didn't hurt Frozen.

Could PG actually help it do better?

• Brohoof 1

Considering the core audience of MLP, could a PG rating hurt it? Of course I doubt any mom or dad wouldnt take their kid who watches the show to see it based on the rating, but strange things happen. Of course PG didn't hurt Frozen.

Could PG actually help it do better?

It's a really hard thing to tell.

As much as people don't want to admit it, MLP still has a stigma, which it can't get rid of so easily. When Parents hear MLP, they still think about the old show from the 80s and they start to groan and they probably are not eager to go into the cinema with their children, to watch this thing for 90 minutes. So they rather go into the Marvel Movie, that goes on in the other theater with their kids. And Kids themselves can't go in, because PG.

It will certainly be interesting to see, what will happen when it actually is rated PG.

• Brohoof 2

How the *beep* does a Disney films direction in PG... relate to a Hasbro film? That's like comparing R*s Grand Theft Auto with Square's Final Fantasy. Besides, Disney are known to have their weird, and in some cases, dark themes that you sometimes pick up in their films.

Besides, does a PG rating really make any sufficient difference? I'm not sure how it works in the US, but PG ain't really that big of a deal. Kids pretty much still need to go with their parents to the cinema anyway. I mean I couldn't care less about the rating, I'd still accompany my kids (If I had any) to watch a film in the cinema. I'm pretty sure MLP:FiM - The Movie will be kid friendly. I can't see Hasbro doing anything that would affect things like this.

But anyway, I honestly don't see that big of a deal here. U rated, PG rated, what difference does it really make? Maybe it just works a bit differently over in the UK, but I ain't complaining.

Even though I honestly believe how pretty much every single animated film in America being rated PG nowadays is pretty stupid seeing how there are multiple cases where it honestly isn't deserved and if the movie were released a few years ago it could have gotten a G rating. While there are some exceptions like the Peanuts movie getting a G rating and Paranorman actually earning the PG rating, the MPAA is pretty strict nowadays. That would be the only reason I could see the MLP movie getting a PG rating, even though due to the nature of the show I am betting it will be one of the few films to actually get a G rating.

You guys aren't getting my point. There is a BENCHMARK for the MPAA. Yes, other films are taken into consideration for ratings.

How the *beep* does a Disney films direction in PG... relate to a Hasbro film? That's like comparing R*s Grand Theft Auto with Square's Final Fantasy. Besides, Disney are known to have their weird, and in some cases, dark themes that you sometimes pick up in their films.

Besides, does a PG rating really make any sufficient difference? I'm not sure how it works in the US, but PG ain't really that big of a deal. Kids pretty much still need to go with their parents to the cinema anyway. I mean I couldn't care less about the rating, I'd still accompany my kids (If I had any) to watch a film in the cinema. I'm pretty sure MLP:FiM - The Movie will be kid friendly. I can't see Hasbro doing anything that would affect things like this.

But anyway, I honestly don't see that big of a deal here. U rated, PG rated, what difference does it really make? Maybe it just works a bit differently over in the UK, but I ain't complaining.

Frozen got rated PG and that was as kid friendly as you could get.

You guys aren't getting my point. There is a BENCHMARK for the MPAA. Yes, other films are taken into consideration for ratings.

Then please explain it to us in more detail, except for just saying "this movie is PG, so this one will also be PG."

• Brohoof 1

Then please explain it to us in more detail, except for just saying "this movie is PG, so this one will also be PG."

The MPAA has criteria for distributing a rating for a film. This includes what is present and the amount. Films can alter this criteria for the MPAA. Shrek, for example, caused the trend of crude humor in family movies. Certain others followed suit, and the MPAA needed to separate the films that had it and those that didn't. Then other animated films started depleting their themes, again, resulting in separation for films that had darker themes than others.

• 2 weeks later...

PG will most definitely be the rating. Especially if they want that #1 Box office rank at the end of the first weekend along with some possible records being broken along the way. But who's to say, I mean "Peanuts" got a G rating, and it do good. But PG will probably be the most likely rating MLP gets.

PG for action, thematic elements, and some scary images.

PG will most definitely be the rating. Especially if they want that #1 Box office rank at the end of the first weekend along with some possible records being broken along the way. But who's to say, I mean "Peanuts" got a G rating, and it do good. But PG will probably be the most likely rating MLP gets.

That PG rating will attract a lot more viewers than with a G rating.