Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Flaws of Celestia?

Glike

Many of our beloved characters in the show have very clear and evident character flaws. Twilight has flaws, Starlight has flaws, Spike has flaws, Luna has flaws; even Big Mac has flaws!

But what about Princess Celestia? So far, she's been presented to us as a wise, noble and well-liked princess of Equestria. She's nearly perfect, in terms of character.

What do you think some of her flaws are, and how would you like to see the show bring light to those flaws?

I'm not talking about minor ones such as her enjoyment of excitement and unpredictableness, I'm talking about real flaws that detract from her perfectness and shows she's human (pony?) as any other character.

I do really like Celestia, but I'd definitely love to see a more relatable side of her. What mistakes do you think she's made, big or small, that she's not proud of (not something like banishing Luna, because as sad as that must have been it was entirely justifiable and for the greater good)?

• Brohoof 1

That is quite funny.  She has been presented to us as one who is so thoroughly jaded with normal reality, that she is very happy to cause chaos for anything different in life. 

Celestia is just a one big flaw. They focused so much on nerf her out for main character to actually prove their worth, that they turned her into an incompetent and weak leader who mostly play a role of "princess in distress" to be saved.

• Brohoof 1

I think a big flaw she has is the fact she is a major troll lol

We also saw her snap at her sister in the episode "Slice of Life" even though she was the one to forget the wedding present. That was a good moment of humanizing her and making her seem less perfect. The fact she immediately smiled when Spike walked over shows her "Perfect Princess" persona is in fact an act which actually endeared her a little to me

Well... She's got plenty of flaws.

She didn't know how to fix the crystal heart first off, she acted up when Starlight didn't show up on their student meeting and she's just a big goof when it comes to Discord... I think that's quite a few flaws already.

(edited)

You want to know some of Celestia's flaws huh?
Hmm.. Celestia's flaws.. how about.. NOT SHOWING UP! :P

Jokes aside, I like Celestia too, but she really hasn't had any real moments to shine,

Apart from.. a few plot necessary events.. *cough cough* Banishing.. *cough*

In order to show the good and bad sides of Celestia you actually need to see her

actually take part in an episode and how she responds to it rather than doing..

Princess and Equestria stuff.. plus lots and lots of paperwork..

"Oh no! The world is going to be destroyed by a terrifying monster! Wait a second..

OH CRAP!! I NEED TO DO MY TAXES!! WHERE DID I PUT MY QUILL?!!" ~Celestia

And that brings up the biggest flaw, or rather a drawback of her first flaw.. Because she had barely

any showings or many plot related influences she's sort of a target for jokes about being way to

busy doing "princess stuff" instead showing up and helping to save Equestria..

But then again that flaw kinda turns into a strength for the show, as many Bronies get that shock seeing her

in some episodes and scream "OMG! Celestia is doing something!!  :wau:  YEEEEESSSSS!!! :love: "

But with the way it sorta stands now.. Luna is still best princess.. :orly:

Edited by AURAequine
  • Brohoof 1

@@Glike,

I'm glad you asked, and further glad that Randimaxis brought it to my attention.

As a writer, I've put far too much thought into Celestia and how imperfect she is, but it really comes down to a few distinct characteristics. Namely, she's too kind,  Too motherly for her own good and for the good of her subjects.

Another who happens to have the same name as me said it best. I'll put it in spoilers so you don't get a wall of text unless you really want to know.

. "From the very beginning of her reign Celestia saw all her subjects as her children. She loved their adoration and would do all she could to keep them safe and happy. In this way she spoiled them by not allowing them to experience trials or hardships. She couldn't willingly allow bad things to happen to her ponies" ... "In addition, one of the plights of immortals is the fear of being alone, to be unwanted. Celestia can't bear the thought of being unnecessary, so she will do anything she can to keep herself relevant and important to her ponies, including taking sole control of the sun, and moon in Luna's absence. Being a staunch protector against any non-equestrians, hiding and ignoring the evils of the past so she would appear infallible, and disregarding any and all evidences that any form of government other than hers could work well," ... "In the end? Celestia is scared, scared if being left behind and forgotten, yet forced to continue living. She can't tell anyone without appearing fallible."

Illiad sighed, "I suppose that doesn't justify her actions, but perhaps you can understand now." ... "I would still say Celestia is kind and benevolent, but kind and nice are different than good. She goes out of her way to prevent hardships among her ponies, and as a result she has hindered your technological and social development to protect you from the unknown or from deprecation. Can you imagine what it must be like to have a talent that is no longer useful? When what your good at has been replaced by something better? She's lied to you to keep you safe in her mind, safe from discovering bad things. From discovering that the world could go on just fine without her, that she herself is no longer necessary."

Illiad pulled back from the hug so he could look at Silver's face more clearly. "I can't say I find her actions entirely justified, but I do see why she did them. But in the end she is powerless to stop your progression, eventually she will fade into myth, like she caused her sister to, but she wants to delay it as long as she possibly can."

It's an excerpt from my own story actually, link in my signature.

In short, she is flawed in that she tries so hard to stay relevant that she has slowed down progress to match the pace she can adapt to. She hides the truth so that there is no record of her ever having failed.

Some of this may be contradicted by the show, I haven't seen much after season 3.

Thoughts?

• 5 years later...