Your opinion on the episode.  

200 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Not at all darling; it was DREADful!
    • Eh, not really.
    • The meh is strong with this one.
    • Why yes; I enjoyed it!
    • IT WAS SUPER-DUPER EXCELLENT!!!

You'd think after Rarity designed a bunch of dresses that all looked the same and going plumb crazy over it that she'd learned conformity isn't the best policy. At least she turned it around in the end. 

• Brohoof 2

A very important message to all food critics, or any kind of critics for that matter, like movie critics and t.v. show critics: "Nopony has the right to tell these ponies what to think...Just because you like your food a certain way, there is no reason to tell these ponies that they need to do the same"

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

Just gonna repeat what I said in my SU

The episode was alright. It didn't get interesting until the final act, and I feel the moral is gonna cause some mixed reactions depending on how it's interpreted. It feels like the Fluttershy Micro, though the message of "do what you love instead" was more clear. Song was great though

I also liked the Indian ponies(though the Father took a while to kick in, he felt like a quitter early on)

Also, something about Rarity's characterization early on didn't feel right, Rarity getting rid of everything so it'll be more like everything else goes against a lot of what she learned in the past about not conforming

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 1

I really enjoyed this episode, though I am slightly...*ahem* biased, when it comes to Raripie. :please:  I really liked both the daughter and the father characters, especially the father. His deadpan & snarky dialogue was quite fun, haha. Also, that song was awesome. <3 Loved it.

PS: I knew there'd be a Gordon Ramsey pony or reference in there somewhere! Or at least hoped. :P I guess he took a break from filming...Kitchen Night-Mares. :icwudt:

Until next time, Season 6! Time for that hiatus.

• Brohoof 3

So ... this was a surprisingly dense episode and I have to mull over it for a while ... you would have thought that initially Rarity and Pinkie took on the tasks that they were perfectly suited for, turns out that they had to Willy Wonka that ... 

Right now, superb outing ... 

Also Zesty is a bitch of the highest order

• Brohoof 4

Wow... I thought i didn't like Zephyr Breeze from last week, but this mare...GRR! Zesty is such an elitist snob who thinks her tastes are the end all, be all and, in the end, she learns absolutely nothing when the ponies she previous forced to cater to her tell her to shove it. She even looks like somepony you want to punch. Course, as we've established before and now, Canterlot is just crawling with snobs, like that mare with the pepper cutie mark that previously hated Rarity making a few improvements to the Princess dress. 

Besides her, everything else about the episode was enjoyable, the song especially.  True, Rarity's idea to conform to the same standards when even she didn't like the food was kind of stupid, but at least she learns her lesson in the end. I liked the two indian ponies, they were an interesting pair of characters for sure. But, as I've said, they weren't making it easy trying to make a unique restaurant in Canterlot, I bet you if they had moved anywhere else, they wouldn't have had a problem.  

• Brohoof 4

Oh Rarity, why did they temporarily have to turn you into a bad character during that song... it's okay darling, hopefully they won't ever do that to you again :(

Other than that, the episode was alright I guess. I liked the new characters, though I can't really remember their names right now... and we haven't had a map episode in a while, so that was nice. Can't say I expected the restaurant rater pony to full-on just screw off either, what a twist I guess! :P

For a send off to a hiatus though, it could've been a little bit better though. Just sayin'. :pout:

(edited)

So Bollywood time!

What I liked:

The duo: Pinkie and Rarity were on there game for the most part and I loved the way Pinkie ate.

The Pessimistic dad pony: Don't remember or know how to spell his name but man I liked his pessimism.

The music: Especially the background music. I liked the South Asian style of it. Very unique.

What I didn't like:

The opening scene: What was the point of it? Why have a whole "We broke the map and now it's fixed" part? Seriously that scene did nothing.

The reviewer: What a stuck up bitch! I mean really you can only eat in three star restaurants? Man I would say she's an outlyer but she's exactly the type of pony we've seen in Canterlot before.

The names: I have no idea on how to spell anyone's name!

What was meh:

The plot: A very basic be yourself plot which is all fine and a good message saying you should do/eat what you like regardless others say but the way it's presented lack a certain grip to it. It's rather by the numbers, IMO.

So yeah a very middle of the road episode for me. In that regards it is a map episode, alright for the most part but nothing that makes it really good either.

Edited by Sidral Mundet

This episode reminds me of an Nostalgia Critic Editorial that ask the question, "When are (Movie) Critics Wrong?" Look it up! It's about 12 minutes long.

Wow... I thought i didn't like Zephyr Breeze from last week, but this mare...GRR! Zesty is such an elitist snob who thinks her tastes are the end all, be all and, in the end, she learns absolutely nothing when the ponies she previous forced to cater to her tell her to shove it.

Two episodes in a row with ponies we can love to hate. Friendship is still magic, right? o_o; 

@Buck Testa, I had the same thought since Rarity has generally been all about putting her stamp on things and haute couture is all about uniqueness. Looks like Rarity was focused on presentation to get customers in the door first perhaps. Interestingly, Rarity was dead wrong about copying what works, but it didn't matter since even the correct philosophy of 'It ain't broken' wasn't working since Rarity was actually kinda right ... no Horseshoes ... no customers. Even when someone is right ... they can be technically wrong ... and visa versa. 

• Brohoof 2

I really liked both the daughter and the father characters, especially the father. His deadpan & snarky dialogue was quite fun, haha. Also, that song was awesome. <3 Loved it.

I know right? <3 this! I'm gonna get both the original song and grab remixes when they're out of the oven. The daughter is now my fav season 6 pony~!  :pinkie:  

True, Rarity's idea to conform to the same standards when even she didn't like the food was kind of stupid, but at least she learns her lesson in the end.

Right on. I mean, I thought she learned her lesson about this back in Canterlot Boutique. She hated conforming to bland same-as-others Princess Dress. I would think she would know that being a big success by being unoriginal sucks the soul out of you. She even sang a song about it.  :P

• Brohoof 2

phew. well. just where do I start?

this was, at best, a small case of "meh". it felt like the writers wanted to show us a new place, but didn't quite know what to do with it. I loved the setting and I really adore...whatever the daughter's name was. but as likeable as she is, her father makes up for this by being the greatest d*ckhead of the whole town. cleaning up the restaurant WHILE there are still costumers? no wonder nopony wants to get there! who thought it would be a great idea to let this by-the-book-grump do the hosting?

not-a-great-plan.png

the song was really catchy, and this was one of the two great things about this episode: the music and the new characters. critique-pony (whatever her name was) kinda looked like an italian dude in his best years, but she was more "complex" than I expected. she wasn't just being mean, she actually thought that she was right and even kind of had a point. but still, it was so very satisfying to see her get her comeuppance. daughter-pony was adorable and sympathic, even though her dad wasn't. together with the background-characters, they managed to save this episode from it's kinda boring plot. you see, at first, it looked like this would become a conflict between Rarity and Pinkie Pie about what the restaurant should be like, but then, out all of a sudden, it's about critique-pony "telling others what to think"? did I miss a key-scene where this was brought up before?

the last thing I want to talk about is how Rarity acted in this episode. I loved the fact that she was well known in Canterlot and already had a reputation. she was very well integrated, and I love it. but hasn't she seen her own episodes? why is she trying to rob something of it's personality and make it as grey as the rest of the city? has she already forgotten what happened in "Canterlot Botique?" did the sauna kill off some of her brain-cells, or what? it wasn't a big flaw as it was needed to get the plot rolling, but it still bugged me.

overall, this was an "ok" episode. after some really funny and great episodes, maybe we needed something like this to calm down. the plot was weak, but this was almost made up by the characters and the music. it was ok.

I rather liked this episode. Good song, the father and daughter characters were rather interesting, good moral. It was a fun time.

I can already see that some people might take the moral of this episode in a bad way, with Zesty being a critic and all. I don't think the message was against criticism or critics as a whole, but more aimed at a specific type. Zesty's not a very good critic, she wasn't even willing to give the restaurant a chance in the first place. Just dismissing it for not being like all the others. There's nothing wrong with being a critic, and disliking something is fine, but telling others they can't like it because you know "better" is ridiculous, nobody's opinion is the "Proper" one.

Only problem I have is Rarity seemed a bit too eager to make the Tasty Treat "Conform". I think she'd understand creative desires a bit better than that, as she has experience with them. But she also does still follow trends and styles at times, so I don't think it's entirely out of the possibility she may not have really been putting herself in their hooves, not really thinking of it like that.

• Brohoof 6

man... I over slept, now I have to find the darn episode on youtube once it gets uploaded.... :( 

I saw a preview though, I think it is going to be interesting. I would much like it to be kind of like a Gordon Ramsey episode! As someone stated a bit earlier lol. 

OH MY GOSH! Think of him as a pony! 

I rather liked this episode. Good song, the father and daughter characters were rather interesting, good moral. It was a fun time.

I can already see that some people might take the moral of this episode in a bad way, with Zesty being a critic and all. I don't think the message was against criticism or critics as a whole, but more aimed at a specific type. Zesty's not a very good critic, she wasn't even willing to give the restaurant a chance in the first place. Just dismissing it for not being like all the others. There's nothing wrong with being a critic, and disliking something is fine, but telling others they can't like it because you know "better" is ridiculous, nobody's opinion is the "Proper" one.

Only problem I have is Rarity seemed a bit too eager to make the Tasty Treat "Conform". I think she'd understand creative desires a bit better than that, as she has experience with them. But she also does still follow trends and styles at times, so I don't think it's entirely out of the possibility she may not have really been putting herself in their hooves, not really thinking of it like that.

So much what I was thinking!  :blink:

Yeah, I would have given Rarity the benefit of the doubt due to fashion trends if she didn't have such an intimate experience with this situation in Canterlot Boutique. There is the chance she could still fall to conformity but I don't think it would be in this way.  :sunbutt:

Also, I do think some people might indeed take the wrong moral. The issue was not with criticism or review. Heck, that's what WE are doing RIGHT NOW. The problem was that the critic was using her opinion to control other ponies and the restaurants. She was forcing others to conform to HER preferences and that's not right. Also, for the record, control has never required brute force. There are many ways that one person can control another that does not include physical aggression.  :ooh:

• Brohoof 3

You know what’s funny? Haute cuisine IRL often has many eastern influences, especially Indian, since you know, colony and shit. Besides, what P-Pone and Rarara have been served over and over has only been one dish that looked like a sad example of hors d’oeuvre. I mean, you can go and slander lore and mythology; you can throw heroism into the mud, but never, ever should one insult haute cuisine! See, there are types of food for every occasion. Even great chefs won’t cook complicated dishes for their families and will instead make something similar to what those “Indian” ponies were making. Just because something is good doesn’t meant it deserves stars/hoofs, or every other burekđinica would have bucking stars by now! Burekđinicas and classy restaurants coexist, and anyone, professional writer or otherwise, who still uses this example for their “Adam Sandler” underdog story is an idiot. Culinary criticism isn’t as subjective as one might think, and what they’ve shown was definitely not it, though if I had a dish thrown into my face, I’d probably grade the responsible establishment with zero too.

Whooh, just had to get that off my chest. Anyway, it was a nice little story. Nothing special once again, but we’re all kinda used to that by now, aren’t we.

• Brohoof 1