Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If there were a huge war and you were drafted what would you do?

Azureth

73 users have voted

1. 1. You get drafted, what would you do?

• Accept it and try to do my best
    • Try to find any way I can to avoid it.
    • Flee to another country.

Blind patriotism may well be dying in the modern age, and I think that's no bad thing. 

See i don't get this mentality to me that's f******* disgraceful you support your country you support your queen (or what ever) and you serve your nation till your dying breath 

apart from that what YOU don't seem to get is we are not following "blind patriotism" some one asked me "why do you do it? you know be a political pawn and kill babies for shits and giggles?" coincidentally when they were saying that a news article was on the telly about the Ukraine war and it showed a 90 year old man crying he was confused he didn't know why the Separatists were bombing his town he wanted to know why his wife and granddaughter were shot in the street simply because they were Ethnic Russians 

i just pointed to the TV and said "that, i do it because i want to pick that old man off his feet and make shit like that be seen as some horror from the dark ages something that would be so horrific for some one to imagine that acts like that fall into myth and historians 100 years from now will argue if it was real like how they argue if the battle of Thermopylae was real" 

Most Americans seem to hate the Selective Service we have here, though. At least from what I see. Some here hate and blame the military in general...I mean, Michael Moore does that. 

That's because the US government has done f****** up shit in the past and everyone knows they are doing it however they don't admit to their own mistakes 

two examples i can think of is during WW2 there's this myth that America "saved" Australia... that is in no way true what so ever when war was declared on us it was pretty evident that Japan was likely to invade sooner rather than later 

we asked America for weapons for money for supplies vehicles men etc etc but America said no... we borderline pleaded and after 3 invasion attempts they still said no... things got so bad that the Brisbane line was drawn up (it basically meant in case of invasion half the country would immediately be abandoned and all forces would fall back to a defensive line to kind of wait it out until help could arrive) 

it was not until Japan no longer had the logistics to invade and were on the defensive that America decided "look we showed up! see we saved you all! be f******* grateful..." 

another thing was during Vietnam America would often use us in their little shadow ops and we refused to follow their requests this cased a huge strain on relations they also destroyed the trust we had with the Vietnamese 

if we suspected a village of having enemy we would send recon teams in to observe then send special forces to kill the leadership and the foot soldiers a very long process but ultimately was effective and both made the villagers like the Australians and made the Enemy fear them (they had some weird nickname for us ghost tigers or something)

you know what America did? if they knew the Enemy were active in an area they just bombed any village they saw... they didn't even bother trying to recon the place get intel on it they just sent jets on hunting missions 

one book i was reading one of the Australians working with the CIA was in a chopper watching these people get gunned down and bombed for no real reason and he said "why!? you don't know if any enemy are there! you're killing civillians!" the American just said something like "oh well at least the Enemy wont be there either"   

See i don't get this mentality to me that's f******* disgraceful you support your country you support your queen (or what ever) and you serve your nation till your dying breath 

As a civil servant, I consider it a privilege that I am able to serve my country - both because I have a strong sense of obligation to it and because I believe it to be the right thing to do. When I speak of blind patriotism, I refer to the sort that powered the Third Reich - the people that worked in concentration camps just because they were ordered to do so, for example. I like to believe that sort of thing 'can't happen here' in this more modern age exactly because the people ordered to do so would refuse.

we are not following "blind patriotism"

But that's exactly the point - you're doing it because you believe it's right, not just because it's your country. The point I am making is that although I consider myself patriotic, that does not give my government carte blanche to do as they please and have me support them regardless*. As an extreme example, if Scotland voted for independence and the UK's armed forces were used to bring it back under Westminster control of course I would oppose that, even though I am opposed to Scottish independence. In that case, by belief in the democratic process would supersede my patriotism - that is what I mean by my patriotism not being 'blind' - that there are conditions and limits to it. 

Funnily enough, the main reason that I even started thinking about this is because I applied to join the armed forces - being at the sharp end of tough decisions where everything seems grey meant that I needed to know why I was there and what I wanted to achieve, as well as what I wouldn't do. In the end a small medical issue was discovered with my leg that meant I couldn't join, much to my disappointment, but it did mean that I had thought about the matter a great deal. 

*for the record, I supported action in Iraq in principle because I would like to see dictators removed and replaced by democratic systems. The criticism I have is that the government weren't honest about their intentions and that they mucked it up, meaning that it will be harder to persuade the country to support regime change abroad in the future. 

I have lived in Taiwan before, and I can add that a lot of people here are pretty comfortable with being conscripted, especially with the significant threat of China invading the island.

I remember talking to a friend from South Korea at university, and he was very happy that he was expected to serve some time in the military on his return as it would get him some practical medical experience in addition to his theoretical university degree.

There was talk, a little while ago, of implementing a new sort of 'national service' (which to most people means conscription in the armed forces) in the UK where young people would be obliged to do some work in the public sector. As someone who wanted to work in the public sector at the time (and still do), I really liked the idea of having the opportunity and encouraging that mentality but would stop short of making it mandatory. If there were a serious threat, maybe I would review that for military service.

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon

When I speak of blind patriotism, I refer to the sort that powered the Third Reich. 

That more comes under brainwashing.

As an extreme example, if Scotland voted for independence and the UK's armed forces were used to bring it back under Westminster control of course I would oppose that, even though I am opposed to Scottish independence.

But see i highly doubt Her Majesty would allow that, the Queen can override the commonwealth's Militaries in extreme cases. Though the Westminster system means the Queen has no real control Military doctrine is much different she has total authority she rarely uses this power but say my country had no real leadership and the party with the majority of power ordered us to enforce martial law and arrest supporters of other parties the Queen could just say "nope get him out of power" and we would follow the Queen not our own politicians 

In the end a small medical issue was discovered with my leg that meant I couldn't join, much to my disappointment, but it did mean that I had thought about the matter a great deal. 

Yeah good you're lucky then its hard to get in and its hard to leave too and its not the best job in the world. we had some one die during school of infantry (he was revived and is ok now)

There was talk, a little while ago, of implementing a new sort of 'national service' (which to most people means conscription in the armed forces) in the UK where young people would be obliged to do some work in the public sector.

That was Bad Lads Army it wasn't some TV show it was an actual experiment and even though it worked the UK Army ultimately said it would be too costly so the idea was abandoned. 

They would find a non combat position for me. I would file as a conscientious objector and I'd work on a farm, fix roads or something. Im not afraid of dying in the slightest, but I wont turn against all my principles and take the lives of others away because a bunch of politicians say I have to.

This.

I would gladly help any civilian cause but I would refuse going to war. Most likely scenario... I would leave the country if that option was open.

I would be left alone because neither my sight or hearing are good enough for combat situations and I'm not suited for quick thinking.

They wouldn't throw you into combat for that very reason. The draft board would outright reject people for being flat footed let alone failing a sight and hearing test. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Well the United States got rid of the draft and thank God since it's immoral and in war time is more likely to produce deserters and insubordinates than good soldiers/sailors/marines/etc.

However, under circumstances so dire as to suggest it, I would bite the bullet. I went to a military college and voluntarily at that. It's an environment not entirely alien to me and should my country truly need me, I'd consider it an honor to serve in the military in whatever capacity I could.

In fact, my original plan actually WAS to join the military but I switched schools and changed majors when I found I had a real passion for writing. So, again, not that big an adjustment for me.

What role or position specifically I really can't say. I don't mind, and I don't mean to say this to sound tough, the possibility of maiming or death. However, since I lack the technical expertise to properly operate armor that would probably seat me with the infantry. Maybe I could request an officer commission if I qualified, tell you though they'd have their work cut out for them teaching me leadership. I'm good at following orders, not so good at giving them or even coming up with them.

I honestly would be waiting for them to send me a letter. Damn recruiter wouldn't take a physically fit marksman who has been shooting for years because he is taking Adderal.

Oh that is bullshit. Maybe you should see another recruiter. 

It's really hard for me to imagine another WWII like war erupting in our generation. With globalization and the internet I just feel that the connections we have with people between differing country's and societies would make it very difficult for a conflict to escalate so far.   That said, I'm a optimist when it comes to humanity on that level.

Brohoofed for sensibility and optimism. 

That's because the US government has done f****** up shit in the past and everyone knows they are doing it however they don't admit to their own mistakes  two examples i can think of is during WW2 there's this myth that America "saved" Australia... that is in no way true what so ever when war was declared on us it was pretty evident that Japan was likely to invade sooner rather than later 

This is the first time I'm hearing of this "apparently very prominent" myth. When I think of Australia in the context of WWII, I think of them fighting the Japanese in the Pacific theater just like our guys did.

it was not until Japan no longer had the logistics to invade and were on the defensive that America decided "look we showed up! see we saved you all! be f******* grateful..."  another thing was during Vietnam America would often use us in their little shadow ops and we refused to follow their requests this cased a huge strain on relations they also destroyed the trust we had with the Vietnamese  if we suspected a village of having enemy we would send recon teams in to observe then send special forces to kill the leadership and the foot soldiers a very long process but ultimately was effective and both made the villagers like the Australians and made the Enemy fear them (they had some weird nickname for us ghost tigers or something) you know what America did? if they knew the Enemy were active in an area they just bombed any village they saw... they didn't even bother trying to recon the place get intel on it they just sent jets on hunting missions  one book i was reading one of the Australians working with the CIA was in a chopper watching these people get gunned down and bombed for no real reason and he said "why!? you don't know if any enemy are there! you're killing civillians!" the American just said something like "oh well at least the Enemy wont be there either"

One patriot to another, does all of this translate to anti-Americanism that you actually hold in your heart? 

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not going to risk death for my country. I have no emotional attachment to this place. So unless given a really good reason to fight, I'd attempt to find a way of at least weaseling out of fighting on the frontlines.

I would go to war and fight. However, if I find myself more ideologically aligned with the other side (e.g. Globalist America vs. Nationalist Russia), then I would most likely try to defect or at least get sent home.

I have aspirations to join the military, but I don't believe they would take someone like me and put me in as an analyst or other intelligence/combat support-related role like I want.  If we were fighting against the Japanese, I'd probably be valuable, but even then.

Nevertheless, I would go.  It would be very costly to move myself and my family out of the country simply to avoid being drafted.  We are, after all, a simple middle class family currently being supported by only one breadwinner (I don't have a paying job because transportation would be an issue, but a draft wouldn't wait for me to get my driver's license).  Plus, if it would keep my parents and my brother from going, I would be willing.

• Brohoof 2

I would fight for my country. But first I need to secure a future for those I care about with whatever money I can gather. Then I will keep going until my heart gives out.

• Brohoof 1

As fun and glorious as war are in videogames, they don't sound too appealing in real life. Besides, I'm currently in Bolivia doing some stuff because of my parents' deaths, and no way in hell I'm fighting for this country. If they force me to do so, I'd be spending more time plotting to kill my own politicians rather than fighting the enemy

Depending on how good the reason for fighting is I might flee or join the war. WW1 is a example of a war I would flee. While WW2 is a war I would join. Of course nothing in war is ever good or pure, you just have to think in terms of which option is worse than the other.

Due to my bad knee and being an asthmatic I would probably be classified as unfit to serve anyway, but discounting that with how pointless and stupid nearly every war ever fought is and the likelihood of a World War III being cause by neocon globalist saber rattling I would resist in anyway I could.

• 2 years later...

I'd find a way to avoid it. I'm not built for fighting wars, and I'd rather not die in combat. That might sound selfish, but it is my life, and I believe everyone needs the right to decide what to do with their own lives, no matter what. 

• 4 months later...

I'd just accept it, if I live, good, otherwise I'll know that I tried my best and lived a somewhat decent life.

Edited by Dark defender